Challenge Caches

Frau Potter

2. What do you like most about challenge caches? - It adds the motivation to do something different from your normal approach to caching.
  3. What do you not like about challenge caches? - I don't like the time restrictions that some of them have. I think time restrictions should be banned from challenge caches. So you may have to find a certain number of caches but that should be over any length of time. So occasional cachers can work towards the goal just as avid cachers can.
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? They should just be badges that are goals people work towards and not physical caches at all.
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? - fun to do.
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? Ones that have ridiculous targets that the majority of cachers cannot achieve. challenges should be achievable by all cachers and not just an elite minority.

Edited by Spire67

1. What do you like most about challenge caches?

Uh - the challenge?

For challenges that we have not completed, I like the research into where we can find caches that will meet the requirements, the planning of the necessary road trip(s), and the trips themselves! I frequently go on a 2- or 3-day caching binge to gather caches required for a major challenge. We have completed several, and have several more in the process.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches?

I don't care for caching streak challenges - largely because we live in a remote rural area and typically have to drive at least 70 miles to the nearest unfound cache.

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

A separate icon would be nice, but other than that I see no need for changes.

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

I like challenges that require extensive travel - state/county/DeLorme challenges, Fizzy-type challenges (I'm working on a triple Fizzy), Jasmer-type challenges, etc.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Caching streak challenges. Our current longest streak is 17 days (when we were on an extended driving vacation), and I don't think we'll extend that in the foreseeable future.

And BTW, Frau Potter, we've met! You were caching with your family on the Oregon coast to celebrate your birthday in 2012, and you noticed my geocaching hat as we were getting out of our car.

Please don't mess with challenge caches (at least not too much)! The great thing about geocaching is that every one gets to play his/her own game, and challenges are one of the favorite parts of the game that we play!

RicknJoy

Maries county, MO

Edited by RicknJoy

1. I like most of them because they give you a target to work for IE 366 day, 10 blackout. 11 color change, 27 color change ect.

2. Don't like challenge caches based on boring power trails

3. Don't care for the caches requiring lots of international travel

4. I like those that you have to really work for IE Alphabet, owner, names, type , ect

5. I don't care for those that have low d-t rating to spell out words.

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

I like being able to challenge myself to complete a goal (alphabet challenge, D/T grid)

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

Some have impossible qualifications or ones that require me to change my caching behaviour in odd ways (attend 10 events in a row - not possible in a huge geographic area when events on the same day at the same time could be 400km away, or you can't find the cache if you have placed any premium member caches).

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Only allow challenge caches that could be genuinely achievable by a large number of cachers. (This is a subjective decision and will differ from place to place, so would rely on local knowledge of reviewers. It also may need some input/appeal process for cachers (not hiders) in case the reviewer lets one through. (I'm particularly thinking of the South Australian event challenge cache, which is only achievable with some phenomenal planning or a tardis).)

A separate icon would be great. Then you could search for them easily.

4.If you could describe your favourite challenge cache type, what would it be?

One with a well-defined goal. It doesn't have to be easy (I'm looking forward to meeting the cache on every day of the year challenge on 29th February next year), but it should be easy to understand.

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

The two previously mentioned challenges (premium, event) are ones I will never be able to achieve and I think go against the spirit of the game.

-What do you like most about challenge caches?

The time and effort required to complete them, as well as the creativity that can go behind them and the many ways cachers can be challenged to find caches in order to complete it.

-What do you not like about challenge caches?

Often, the requirements are difficult/unrealistic.

-What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

First off, kick back any challenges that a CO can't deliberately place caches to help people complete the challenge. Also, a limit of 5 challenges or so per CO. Another thing I'd recommend is requiring that the challenge can be completed only using active caches within 100 miles or so of the final cache location.

-If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Caches that take me out of my way to find unique, interesting caches - e.g. "The Loneliest Cache Challenge" GC4GC8H or Fizzy challenges.

Caches that force me to plan my caching trips more creatively (e.g. find 50 consecutive non-micro caches).

-What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Several. First off, anything to do with the GC code - simply because there's no way to search for GC codes that contain a particular set of letters/numbers, and COs have effectively no control over how GC codes are assigned.

Also, challenges that could be prohibitively expensive for your average cacher (e.g. requiring the purchase of a plane ticket or traveling more than 100 miles repeatedly). Streak challenges (requiring you to find 1 or more caches) everyday for X amount of time.

Edited by perkwhite

They can give direction to one's geocaching by providing a positive geocaching-related goal. But other things can provide a positive geocaching-related goal too. For example, I started my longest streak not because of a challenge cache, but because of Groundspeak's 31 Days of August promotion a couple years ago. As another example, I've been working on completing the geocaching challenge sponsored by a local open space district (22 caches, one in each of 22 different open spaces).
    • "An ALR by any other name..." For any other type of physical cache, if you find the container and sign the log, then you can post a Find log online. Challenge caches hold the online Find log hostage until you can demonstrate that you have completed the geocaching-related goal. And to a lesser degree, they hold acknowledgement of the geocaching-related goal hostage until you find the container and sign the log.
    • Some challenge caches encourage people to list caches not because they want to own and maintain a cache for the long term, but to support qualification for various challenge caches. For example, it isn't as direct as a seed cache or a "curse of the FTF" cache, but a color name challenge will encourage caches with names like "Amber Beige Coral Denim Ecru Fuchsia Goldenrod Heliotrope", caches that serve no purpose other than qualifying for the challenge and filling an empty spot on the map.
    • Some challenge caches turn cache names, difficulty/terrain ratings, attributes, etc. into commodities for completing challenges, rather than tools to facilitate communication between the cache owner and potential seekers. For example, a cache owner should be free to update difficulty/terrain ratings or attributes to reflect changing conditions, without worrying that the changes will affect someone's progress on a challenge cache.
    • Most challenge caches turn other caches (or rather, online Find logs for other caches) into commodities for completing challenges. This can encourage an attitude that the +1 is what matters about another cache, not the cache experience itself. A cache owner should be free to update a cache description to make it accurate, without worrying that something in the description will attract seekers primarily motivated by the +1 for some challenge cache, rather than by the cache experience the owner is trying to provide.
    • Many challenge caches require a LOT of travel. Certain hide dates are very rare. Certain difficulty-terrain combinations are very rare. Certain attributes are very rare. People who complete challenges that require these things must travel long distances, and must travel even further as qualifying caches are archived. Even simple streak challenges require more and more travel as the streak continues, as the geocacher clears out a wider and wider blast radius.

[*]What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

• I'd like to see the acknowledgement of geocaching-related goals and the online Find logs for cache containers kept separate. Let people find cache containers and post online Find logs, and acknowledge the completion of geocaching-related goals without holding Find logs hostage.
  • Barring that, I'd like a way to filter challenge caches in or out of searches or PQs. Sometimes I want to see puzzle caches that I haven't solved yet, and most challenge caches are clutter (so they end up on my ignore list; see below). Sometimes I'd like to see what challenge caches are available locally, but they can be hard to find among the other mystery/puzzle caches.
  • "The Language of Location." I'd like to see challenges based on location, rather than challenges based on cache names, difficulty/terrain ratings, attributes, Finds per day, icons per day, streaks, etc.

[*]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

I've been (slowly) working on the Bay Area quad challenge for years, but I consider it an example of a good location-based challenge. I also like the Well Rounded Cacher Challenge ― Bingo Edition, because of the flexibility it offers in choosing your own geocaching-related goals to complete the challenge.

[*]What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

The only caches on my ignore list are challenge caches. Generally, they're challenges that require a LOT of travel to get rare caches (Fizzy Challenge, Jasmer Challenge), to go caching in numerous national parks, etc. I also have streak challenge caches on my ignore list. Even the streak challenge caches that I've completed and logged (see above) were originally on my ignore list. And there's also a challenge cache that requires filling your "Finds for Each Day of the Year" grid 5 times.

I love challenge caches! While the ultimate goal of geocaching is to simply get outside and have fun, I like juggling multiple goals when I plan a geocaching outing. Challenge caches provide me with an interesting mix of goals alongside the non-smiley-generating ones I've already set for myself.

I dislike challenge caches that: a) have arbitrary requirements like "find ## caches with XXXXX in the title"; B) take too much time to prove I've met the criteria; and c) encourage quantity over quality of caching experiences.

I would like to see a separate icon for challenge caches as long as: a) this change can be retroactively applied to existing challenge caches; and B) they are treated like real geocaches in all stats, unlike the messed up lab caches that I refuse to log.

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

My favourite challenge caches are those that encourage quality/interesting geocaching experiences such as golden oldies, lonely caches, travel, canoe/kayak caching.

I avoid the ones which state that you cannot sign the logbook before you qualify to log the smiley.

The challenges that clearly show accomplishments and push you to explore your limits (e.g., Fizzy, Jasmer, DeLorme, States/Countries found, number of icons in a day, number of paddle or difficult climb attributes found, etc.)

Challenges based on finding caches with certain words in them. This encourages passing good caches for mediocre ones just based on name. It also creates terrible, non-descriptive naming of caches and events. There is no joy in finishing off these "challenges" other than to say, "thank goodness...I'm FINALLY done with that awful challenge!". These challenges ruin geocaching relationships and generally waste gas due to cachers going 20-30 miles out of their way to pick up a single cache with "giraffe" in the title. It is just wasteful. :shocked:

Disallow challenges based solely on naming conventions, but keep those based on valid achievements. Give challenges their own icon so as to distinguish them from true puzzle caches.

A great challenges takes time to complete, but creates unforgettable moments. The Jasmer challenge took me to the tops of mountains and on my first caching boating excursion. The Fizzy encouraged me to pursue hard puzzles and to challenge myself physically. The De Lorme is still taking me to areas of my state that I've never visited before. Lonely cache challenges are generally a positive caching experience all the way around, as they can provide much needed maintenance on remote caches and generally include an unforgettable caching experience for the finder.

Challenges with ridiculous word requirements (Yuba City is riddled with these) that have nothing to do with achievement.

Edited by BearTerritory

I like the challenge itself (Lonely Caches, Holiday Challenge, Full Moon, Non- Traditional Caches, Variety of cache types on same day) because it is something different and FUN! Sometimes I have had to do extra work - bit it has been MY CHOICE.

Occasionally, I will see one that seems to be put in place to reward a specific cacher or to reward cachers that have been caching for several years more than I. SIGH! I just move on. Just like I tend to avoid the easiest caches, unless their are muggles around to make it a little bit more difficult and / or I am teaching potential new cachers.

An easy way to find them in the list would be nice. Have seen a few suggestions here. Also, would encourage the final to be special, like the challenge itself! One of my favorites was the Variety of caches in a day - was hard to do around where I live, but we were headed to another state and with some effort, had planned 8 out of 11, and then 3 more cache types fell into our laps; but the final was down a stream past a small waterfall, which made it even more special!

Just previewed some other posts - ones that challenge me. I may choose or not choose to do them, but the challenge is the key!

100 caches in a day - would probably need to be a power trail, which has little interest to me. I doubt that an alphabetic challenge (a cache for each letter of the alphabet for instance) would interest me.

I have spent all day or even more than a day to solve a SINGLE cache, and been VERY happy that I succeeded!

Edited by Allyn Birch

It sets a goal for me to strive for and when I make that goal it makes that cache even better.

The insanely difficult ones that are archived after a year because they are basically impossible.

The Icon, something New would be nice! ;)

Find a certain number of certain caches or difficulties.

Only the ones I know I can't complete. I check all the ones in my area or where I am going to see what I can do. One took me 6 years to complete! :D

My complaint was that trackables were logged as "visited" when each leg of the challenge was completed. If the cacher was travelling a long way from home and finished a component of the "challenge" while away they logged it but also indicated the tb had visited. This added many miles to the trackable that really were never traveled. It came to light when one of our trackables was retrieved by a person doing challenge caches. Our tb has been logged as travelling over 250,000 miles which in reality they never did.

Now that we're into Page 3, just want to reiterate something from the original post:

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

Thanks for the excellent feedback thus far!

From the minority bleachers, my 2 cents:

If you banned them totally, I would dance on their grave. While I have found a few challenge caches, I have never deliberately gone after one. Geocaching to me is a recreation, a relaxation, a hobby. Before I retired, I had to meet the challenges my employer put in front of me. But I did that for a paycheck. Had to. Don't have to meet anybody else's challenges. But that's OK... I can ignore them.

Or, can I?

At least in my neck of the woods, challenge caches have caused the release of a large number of very simple hides (stop sign bison tubes, mostly) that are put out simply for the sake of allowing people to meet a challenge. One example: a challenge cache that required you to find x number of caches whos name began with "Welcome To <city>". Every city, town, and village around here now has at least one "Welcome To..." cache. Another example was to find caches with an element in the name. Result: Dozens of caches named after elements. Another, caches named with an alliteration. We now have caches named with alliterations... lame hides hidden only so they could name a cache that would help people log a particular challenge. I remember when "cache factories" or "seed caches" were allowed, and they were halted because they caused the proliferation of lame hides simply so they could log the seed cache. How is this any different?

Minor point, but I also dislike it when somebody logs a cache of mine and logs that they did it simply to meet some goal that has nothing to do with my cache. I try to hide quality caches, and to have someone log it as "Found to keep my streak alive" or "Found because the cache name started with the letter "D" is a bit of a slap on the face. I don't lose sleep over it, but I still don't like it.

You banned ALRs yet kept this particular flavor of them. I don't understand why you kept this ALR, because that is exactly what it is.

What do you like most about challenge caches? - I like that they are different from traditional caches. That some are easily proven by the stats page on the website.

What do you not like about challenge caches? - I HATE that they are hard to filter from other in the unknown types. I hate that some challenges have limiters on which caches qualify such as ones where you can't use caches hidden before the date placed of the challenge cache, finding caches only on a milestone, ones that are impossible (cache where you have to find ones in 15 counties and it is placed in the middle of North America), ones that require you to limit the amount of caching you do (I have cached out my area and I have limit how much I find in a day so that I can do a new streak challenges) or ones that you to find a set of caches on their anniversary (GC399PX). I dislike ones that require hours of sifting through GSAK to find the ones that qualify, such as the ones where you have to find so many published by a certain reviewer, but that doesn't stop me from finding and logging them.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? - I would like to see challenges be segregated to a new cache type, so I can query for them. An attribute wouldn't work since that can be removed or not added in the first places. I would also like to see the challenge verification process improved to where it is a lot simpler to validate that you complete it and that someone else completed it. As much as I like challenges some necessitate the use of third party software and macros to prove validation. That runs counter to the rule that you can't require puzzle solvers use third party software to solve a puzzle. How does requiring you to spell out a word of phrase by cache names a challenge?

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? - My favorite was one that required that I find 2000+ physical non-traditionals, D/T grid, cache by date found, cache by date placed, jasmer (since older caches are coming harder to locate this might have to be changed), elevation bands, find caches in all counties in a certain state, X icons in a day.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? - I generally find most challenge caches I come across.

1) What do you like most about challenge caches? They are a fun way to collect puzzle caches and difficult D/T ratings. Some are really fun and/or clever. I like that you have to achieve something, i.e. meet certain requirements in order to qualify.

2) What do you not like about challenge caches? I like challenge caches. No issue from me. If I do not "like" the challenge I won't go for it.

3) What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? I would like them to have a separate icon in the future. Also, people are very creative so I think too many limits could make challenges boring. Reviewers should think about what guidelines to use in order to make their jobs easier while maximizing cacher creativity. Cache owners need to manage whether people "qualify"- not the reviewers. I would actually like to see more flexibility, not less, in approving challenge caches. I've heard of many great ideas being turned down.

4) If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Achievement of an easily identified statistic: counting counties, delorme, fizzy, days of the year, consecutive days, number of states or countries, multiple cache types in the same day. Others I like because they are creative: finding caches in matching sisters cities or other fun stuff creative people dream up. If something is a CHALLENGE, it may not be for everybody nor should it have to be. Some people like easy things only and some people thrive on a challenge. Diversity is a wonderful thing in keeps the sport exciting.

5) What types of challenge caches do you avoid? only ones I know I will NEVER qualify for. Hooray for those that do qualify. Not everything has to be for everybody. The word challenge should mean just that - not everyone wants a challenge. For those who do it is very exciting - bring it on. There aren't many challenges I would ignore. :)

Some very interesting answers above, not that I've read them all.

As a cacher, I first discovered the 365/6 day challenge caches in Texas and Washington State and based my own sole Challenge cache on those. Before I knew it, Challenges were springing up all over the place and I've certainly found a fair share of them (just under 100 at the time of writing).

1) What do you like most about challenge caches?

They are fun and often imaginative. They do what they say on the tin and challenge the cacher to fulfil specific criteria in order to claim the find. Sometimes they push the cacher to boundaries that they might not have achieved under their own steam. Like other goals, they can remove the ennui of caching (although this can work both ways, of course). For the technophobe Apple user who doesn't use GSAK, they involve a lot of trawling through old finds which can be a fun trip down Memory Lane. The higher the number of cache finds, the more trawling and longer the Memory Lane is.

2) What do you not like about challenge caches?

They are no longer special as they have sprouted up all over the place. Whilst I'm happy to find them, it seems every last theme has a challenge created from it, whether good or bad. I don't like the obligation element, such as having to cache for a 365 day streak. It is possible to ignore it and walk away, as I say in my own 365 day challenge (which is not required as a streak!), but then there's that annoying icon sitting in the middle of the map too.

3) What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Like others, I think it would be useful to have a sub-icon in the mystery/puzzle section, because let's face it, challenges are neither really a mystery or a puzzle in their own right. Neither is the Groundspeak HQ, but that has a sub-icon in the same section. I'd also like to see the requirement that you can't sign if you haven't qualified. This would mean I would breach it in a couple of unqualified finds I've made and I'd also need to change the wording in my own cache, but as I mentioned in a log yesterday, it's annoying to arrive at a cache, ostensibly as FTF, only to find a non-qualifier has already signed the log.

4) If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

One which pushes me to an extent, and that may involve spending weeks or months to achieve, but remains a constant goal and not necessarily one for which I immediately qualify. Achieving that goal gives a good feeling of satisfaction. It is within the cacher's will to walk away, but that little carrot keeps them keen.

5) What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Streaks. The Groundspeak streak a couple of years ago in which every day of August was awarded a souvenir meant that many people were lured into doing it, but in talking to others, it nearly killed the game for me and them. As any parent knows, if you make something fun, you retain the interest; if people feel they HAVE to do something, it can ruin it. Streak challenges are exactly the same.

I like challenge caches in general. I especially like them because I FINALLY qualify for a few. It's been a lot of fun sorting out my finds, bookmarking, and being able to log the challenge as a find. To me, challenges are a game.

I don't dislike too much of anything to do with challenges. If I think a particular challenge will not be fun for me, I just don't do it. Maybe I'll go back to them in the future. I do think that being able to use past logs to qualify for a new challenge makes things difficult for newer people; I mean there is no way that my 400 finds will ever compete with 21,000 finds, but it's all part of the game. I do like it better when I see one that says that past finds do not count.

I would like to see a change made that makes it easier to find a challenge. Maybe a different icon or a way to search only for them.

I don't have a favorite type yet, but I do avoid the ones that require a "power run." (ex. 100 in a day) Again, who knows? Maybe one day I'll be in the mood to try for one. It's all up to the person, and I am glad that we have challenges.

Just for the record, I would like to see virtuals come back. Those are my very, very favorite. :)

I have logged dozens of challenge caches and personally could do without them. They are basically an "additional logging requirement" and as one put it, a bookkeeping exercise. They are a way to run the stars for those who are star chasers and a way to fill grids. If most want to keep them then great but as I said above....

1. Nothing

2. Lack of creativity

3. Done away with (bring back virts)

4. N/A

5. Most

A good challenge caches motivate me to try new things.

Ones that I have to submit a completion to get coords. CO's take too long to reply if they even do. I also dislike challenges that state ONLY caches placed before this hide are allowed.

Definately needs its own icon. Distance limits on repeated themes in radius to one another (multiple Benchmark challenges, busy days, etc.)

The DeLormes and State County Challenges are my favorites. Exploring the map.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

None so far, but there is a DOUBLE Jasmer one around where I live that is on my ignore list. Seems impossible to achieve.

What do you like most about challenge caches?

It can provide an objective, and help decide where to go caching next, both long term and short term. We actually like challenge caches a lot.

What do you not like about challenge caches?

Onerous and time-consuming logging requirements.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

Make a definitive, searchable way to identify them. Attribute or icon would be fine. Also, separate the D/T for the cache itself from the difficulty of the challenge.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

We like to travel, so we quite enjoy the geographic challenges - counties, DeLorme pages, Thomas Guide pages. Even states and countries.

We avoid anything about streaks, or time-limited. We also avoid ones that we have no hope of ever getting.

For us as a family, it has given us great goals to strive for, it has challenged us out of our comfort zone, it has encouraged us to try new activities (kayaking, climbing) and it has enriched our caching experiences.

We would like to quickly be able to identify challenge caches from mysteries.

I would like to see challenge caches with their own icon.

One that extends us to an extent that there is a sense of achievement when it is completed.

Only the ones that we think are beyond our capabilities but we are happy for those challenges to be out there to appeal to those who can achieve them.

Edited by McLookers

Please let us know:

I love that challenge caches encourage me to do other caches or explore areas I wouldn't have. Thanks to challenge caches - I've been to every town in my state, I now enjoy puzzle caches before I avoided them before. They give me something to work toward and it's a great feeling to achieve a challenge cache that makes you work for it.

What do you not like about challenge caches? The few that I don't like, but just ignore as I can choose to - are ones that require a cache a day streak.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? I don't want them to go away!

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Ones that encourage me to set a goal, require planning and then going out to do it.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? streak - cache a day for some many days challenges - but that's only me - there are many people that love them.

Please don't make them go away. Sure there are some I won't achieve- but that's okay. Not every cacher can get every cache. You choose the ones you can do.

Springcat

Some well designed challenges provide very specific goals to strive for (fizzy / jasmer / streaks) or areas (Delorme / State Counties) to cache in.

I not a big fan of some of the more silly challenge rules like, "All of the finds to met this challenge must have been published prior to this cache being published." I don't like challenges with non-verifiable requirements such as, "discover and log 25 travel bug tattoos".

Although a lot of folks are against it, I feel challenge caches should be in their own separate category with their own icon. Project GC has scripts to check some of the challenges out there, in order for a challenge to be published, a checker script must be included to verify each finders requirements to the challenge.

I love the Delorme Map Challenges and was very excited and worked very hard to complete my Fizzy Grid specifically to allow access to multiple challenge caches. Hopefully the Jasmer Grid will be finished before the end of the year.

The ones where I have to painstakingly scrub through my finds list to figure out if I may or may not qualify for a challenge. (I have mac so I am not blessed with the GSAK goodness that many cachers enjoy - so if I can't verify my qualifications with a combination of Project GC and icaching, I don't do it.) That is time that can be spent caching or doing something else.

They drive you to beat your personal records and target caches you may otherwise never notice. If the challenge is one that you'd be happy to use as a milestone, THAT is a good challenge!

Overly difficult challenges like find 200 mystery caches in a day. Or absurd ones like fill your D/T grid using only multi's that begin with the letter "N".

Excessive amounts of random wordlist challenges. I don't mind wordlist challenges if it's a fun or interesting theme but when it gets too specific and limits which words you can or can't use it starts to take all the fun out of it.

If qualifying for a particular challenge gives more of a "I'm glad to finally get that one out of the way" feeling. It's NOT a good challenge.

I strongly believe that as a rule of thumb a CO shouldn't be allowed to publish a challenge that they themselves don't qualify for!

Other than that I don't think any changes should be enforced. If I don't like a challenge I will simply ignore it.

I personally like grid/stats related challenges. Anything that drives you to better your stats or personal caching records. Challenges that act as an achievement badge, That take you out of your comfort zone. Something that you can look back on and are proud to say you qualified for.

Challenges that I personally don't think I will ever qualify for. I'm under traveled so I tend to avoid "Find caches in XX states/countries". That's not to say that they're bad challenges, but I don't think I will ever qualify for them, so I pass them by.

I also tend to avoid challenges that have TOO many rules & restrictions.

Edited by Psychoticjester

I like the fact that they bring another purpose to geocaching other than going outdoors and exploring. They're a good way for geocachers to set caching-related goals.

I don't like how extreme some challenges can be. Challenges should be challenging, but doable. Finding 6 cache types in one day is what I would call a doable challenge. Finding every Earthcache in the state of Virginia is something that only a very select few would be able to complete.

I think challenges should be there own cache type, since they don't follow the ALR rule and are at the posted coordinates. I also think that challenges that aren't successfully completed within a year should be archived. Owners should also be required to complete the challenge prior to publishing.

I like challenges that are doable, and make me do a variety of caches. Example: Finding 6 cache types in one day (One Busy Day).

I avoid challenges that I don't think I will ever complete due to extreme requirements.

They give me different goals to look for, and have me seeking out caches that I might have otherwise overlooked.

Some seem very arbitrarily complicated to qualify for.

Their own icon would be good, maybe. And ones where "only finds before/after xxx date" or "caches must be published before xxx date" should be eliminated except in obvious situations like the Jasmer challenge.

It's hard to pin down, but probably the ones where I've got lots but not all of the qualifying caches. I have to work a little bit to fill in the gaps. Long range ones are okay, such as Jasmer and Fizzy. I've been working on those for pretty much my whole caching career.

Ones where the requirements get too complicated. Like for instance, one where I have to find xxx number of caches with animals in the name, but I have to get four different icons too, and none can be from the same "series" of caches... oh please. Just make it about animal-named caches, mkay?!?

Edited by fearlessknits

Kudos to Groundspeak for tackling this and taking the bold move to place a moratorium.

When I first started geocaching, I took Challenge Caches pretty seriously, and used them to help me set goals. I put a lot of effort into completing my Fizzy and it was a proud geocaching accomplishment for me. I also so them as a way to signal to the community that I was a "serious" cacher. Looking back it seems pretty foolish, but it was fun too. In the last few years, I am much less inclined to use Challenge Caches to help set my goals. If I happen to qualify for a challenge cache, or am close, then I might go and find it. More often than not, I am not even close to qualifying for a particular challenge and am not too inclined to try for them. I do still look at any challenge caches around, some of them are very creative and interesting, others are pretty ho-um. It's nice to have a different outlet for creativity though,a nd challenge caches provide an outlet for those with a more stats-oriented preferences.

There are two things about challenge caches that give me pause. The first is when people hide geocaches specifically to help others qualify, but have no redeeming qualities otherwise. I find this pretty distasteful, and sometimes it is downright dishonest, like D/T ratings that are incorrect, blatantly incorrect or falsified date placed etc... And I don't consider placing a geocache just to help others with a challenge requirement a valid reason to place a cache. It also gives the appearance that people hiding these are trying to spoil the challenge for others, make it less difficult then intended or otherwise provide a loophole to qualify. Not cool in my book, but it certainly happens and I think some of the more ludicrous challenge caches tempt people towards this behavior. The second thing I don't like about challenges is when the appear to be brags by the CO. Writing this makes me embarrassed, because it sounds so contrite, but sometimes it just feels like a certain challenge was created just so the someone could show off some accomplishment of theirs, and dare others to try to compete. Sounds silly, but hey, I'm just airing my thoughts. Other than those two things, I don't really have problems with challenge caches.

Having a way to separate out challenge caches from other Mystery caches would be a good start. A different icon, but still a subset of mystery caches, kind of like Wherigo is would be my preference. I also wouldn't mind if Challenges could be made virtual or even just a souvenir. This could work well for some common challenges that a lot of people do. I know something like this was tried before though and it flopped. Maybe under different circumstances it would work better? I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't mind if people didn't place challenge caches anymore, but rather had a different outlet for getting each-other to do crazy geocaching feats.

Another thing that would be really cool would be incorporation of challenge checkers. Project-gc is making leaps and bounds in this and I see it as a good thing.

What are the types again? I don't think I've ever really considered categorizing them before, but I suppose it makes sense. My favorite challenge cache was a Fizzy challenge that was specific to New Mexico. I liked it because it was indeed a very good challenge, trying to fill a fizzy grid within a set geographic region, and it also was interesting for the community, to see who was finding what and where. Other than that, my favorite types of challenge caches are ones that are unique and creative. Not just find xx amount of yys, or show that you have impressive stats/maps filled in. I also like challenge caches that cater towards their location rather than try to have a mass appeal, because those help grow the local community.

I wouldn't say I avoid any challenge caches, more that I resign myself to not ever qualifying for some. Still, I will look through any I come across and keep them in the back of my mind, and occasionally will decide to tackle one or another. Ones that take a lot of time to verify qualifications can be a hassle though, but with new tools available, like project-gc, they are becoming rarer. That said, my second favorite challenge cache was a 100,000ft elevation challenge, that required very careful tracking of all your hikes. If I hadn't noticed this challenge early on I might never have bothered trying it, since trying to figure out the elevation gain on past hikes is tough. As it happened, I kept (and still keep) a running tab of mileage hiked and elevation gained for all my geocaching hikes and reaching that 100,000 ft milestone was a great accomplishment and wonderful feeling. Despite this being one of the more tedious kinds of challenges to track, or determine qualification, I still feel that it is one of the best challenges around, because it encourages people to get out and hike... a lot.

And since I'm thinking about challenge caches here are some more random thoughts about them:

• I think it would be great if some of the more popular challenges morphed into souvenirs instead. The 365 day calendar, Fizzy, Jasmer, 100 day streak. Rather than have a challenge cache for these placed in every region, simply have a souvenir that appears on your profile when you reach qualify. Seems like this would be technically very feasible, would still encourage geocachers to work towards them to get the souvenir, and cut down on redundancy. I can see Groundspeak having a list of challenges that you can get a souvenir for completing.
  • I'm not a huge fan of challenge caches having to be placed at the posted coordinates. I know folks can still incorporate a puzzle, but I think it would be great if some mechanism was in place to allow the challenge cache coordinates to be hidden until someone qualifies. This would allow cache owners to reward challengers better without fear that cachers would simply raid the cache without qualifying.
  • I can definitely see why challenge caches are the source of contention and angst among geocachers, reviewers and maybe even HQ. They can be such huge motivational drivers, but also can be utter ridiculous, and lead to conflicts. But as with all other types of geocaches, diversity is what makes it interesting. Yes there are a lot of mundane challenges, but also some really interesting ones. I hope whatever changes may come to the challenge cache, diversity is still allowed to flourish.

I like challenge caches and would hate to see them phased out or grandfathered.

I like that they make me think about caching in a different way and that they give me ideas for ways to organise a caching trip.

I don't dislike any cache. There may be some which are too hard for me or which don't interest me, but I don't dislike them.

What I do dislike is that some challenge caches encourage "dubious" caching practices. Very-high-number-in-a-day challenges seem to encourage leapfrogging and three cache monte. Also, there is no way to verify that someone really found a specific cache on a specific day. I have heard of people finding several caches in one day but logging them as found on consecutive days to fulfill a streak or to fill gaps in their date grid.

There are a number of issues with challenge caches and I have a plan which, I believe, would solve many of them.

i) Make it mandatory for a CO to demonstrate that they have qualified for the challenge at the time of publication. This would stop someone creating a challenge in order to encourage others to list new caches so the challenge CO can qualify

ii) Make a new Cache type and icon for Challenge Caches. This would make it easier for people to seek out or to avoid challenge caches. It would, however, cause problems for people who have already completed a challenge based on finding "?" caches. One solution to this would be to have the "Change from Mystery to Challenge" process archive the old cache and automatically create a new identical cache. This would mean any previous find is locked into the "?" type and the old D/T rating. I'm not sure what should be done with FP's attached to the old cache - move them to the new seems the best option as it means that the "true" FP count for the cache is available in the new listing.

iii) Create two new log types specifically for Challenge Caches. At the moment, if someone finds the cache before qualifying they have to submit a write note at the time of finding and then log the actual find when they qualify. This causes problems with their statistics. If they change the write note to a find the find is logged as that date which does not reflect when they completed the task. If they write the find log at the date they qualify it will corrupt their mileage since they are logging a find on a cache in one location when they could be thousands of miles away. These two logs would solve all this confusion.

The "Discovered" log would act in exactly the same way as the found log, except that it would not increment the find count.

The "Qualified" log would demonstrate the completion of the challenge.

The order in which the logs were written would be irrelevant. The find count would be incremented once both logs have been written.

iv) Implement a "Challenge Stars" scheme. Another problem with Challenge caches is the difficulty and terrain ratings for the cache. Most challenge caches have a difficulty rating based on the difficulty of achieving the challenge. The actual difficulty of the cache may be very different. This scheme would separate the cache difficulty from the challenge difficulty. As a sideline, a similar scheme for puzzle caches should be implemented "Puzzle Stars"

I really enjoy "Lonely Cache" challenges as they encourage me to seek caches which have been unfound for a long time.

My health does not permit me to tackle long hikes and hard terrain, so I avoid caches involving those factors. This means I avoid challenges which involve filling a D/T grid. I also avoid streaks and high-number-in-a-day challenges.

Please don't take this to mean that I want these types of challenge to go away. The fact that I don't like them is irrelevant, provided sufficient others do enjoy them.

If I may be allowed to digress slightly, this may be an opportunity to reexamine the whole Mystery/Unknown cache scenario. Do Puzzles need their own type and should there be "Puzzle Stars"? Do Bonus caches need to be easily identified? Do simple offset multi's need to be separated from other multi's? Anything else?

Thanks for the opportunity to contribute to this discussion

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

2. What do you like most about challenge caches?
    :) gives me something to work towards for a "bonus cache"

3. What do you not like about challenge caches?
    :mad: Many are difficult for newer cachers such as myself because older caches have been archived or certain CO's and their
    caches are no longer active (name challenge)

4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
    <_< definitely a different icon

5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
    B) don't have a favorite but suppose ones I can complete in this lifetime

6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

:ph34r: the ones that make me go HUH?!

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

A good change of pace from traditional caching and gives the "stats driven" cachers an official arena to play in. I do like to take up a challenge cache now and then, and there is a sense of pride once it is completed.

The fact that many challenge caches take an inordinate amount of time to verify qualification. Verification should not take longer than the actual visit to the cache and should be verifiable using stats on geocaching.com, not require 3rd party macros.

One thought that comes to mind is that there should be challenge "sets" developed by GS in which challenge cache requirements have to fall under. Something along "Numbers", "Time", "Location" and more. The requirements must then come from one of these sets. Perhaps a limit can be developed where no more than 2 set requirements can be added to the challenge. For example, x number of caches in x number of days is fine. But x number of caches, in x number of days, in x state/county/city would not as that would be 3 requirements. This would make verifying caches easier as it keeps the variables down and would help lover the guessing and questioning during the review process.

BINGO challenges are my favourite. They provide the cacher with various ways to complete the challenge and allows them to choose the easiest way to complete, whereas a different cacher may choose a more difficult path for a personal goal. Both cachers completing the same challenge different ways.

Streak caches. I have a thing called a job, and these people called a family that don't afford me to find caches every day for an entire year. And once you have cached your home area for awhile travel is required which then increases the cost. Kudos to those who do, but no way the majority of cachers can attain streaks like most of the streak challenges.

My $0.02:

1 ) What do you like most about challenge caches?

A ) They provide a specific goal.

2 ) What do you not like about challenge caches?

A ) The lengths some folks go to make them overly complex.

3 ) What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

A ) I would like to see them get their own cache type icon.

4 ) If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

A ) Something simple to figure out, yet challenging to accomplish, such as the D/T grid, Fizzy grid, etc.

5 ) What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

A ) Those created simply so the owner can demonstrate how complex they can make them.

I, too am a fan of challenge caches. Like many aspects of the game, they are not for everybody. This is why I think they should have their own icons and filter criteria. I am a big fan of the challenge checker on project-gc.

They motivate me to get out and cache. I'm pretty tired of guard rail magnets but I'll do one in order to meet a challenge requirement.

The ones that aren't feasible any more because of my previous caching history. There is no way that I am going to be able to find 5 Wherigos in a day. Or one where you have to announce you are starting the challenge before it counts and you should already have gotten credit for 5 of them. You should never have to create a new account to meet a challenge. Also, having to spend hours

As noted, they should have their own icon. For historical precedent, cache owners should have to archive existing challenge caches if they wanted to change to the new icon. Challenge caches should be at the published coordinates. We shouldn't mix puzzles and challenges.

One that encourages me to try caches that I might not have attempted.

Ones that take hours to determine if you meet the requirements. I don't have time to look over every find of mine to see if it has a bird species in the name.

I enjoy challenge caches as they set new goals for cachers who like that feeling of achievement. I have done a couple of challenge caches, and I have enjoyed every one of them. I have placed 1 challenge which has had positive responses from the community for being fun to achieve.

I do enjoy all different types of challenge caches. I will admit though, the ones that restrict the LOCATION of the finds do make it alot harder. Being an Australian, when travelling to the USA, alot of the challenges have to be removed because they state you must make the finds in a particular location within the USA. This dictates that you must be a local to get this cache. Travelling overseas for Geocaching would be the primary reason for travel for me, so dictation like this, becomes very frustrating.

Firstly I would like to see the moratorium removed, mainly for the Aussies (and other countries not as prone to them as the USA). I would love to see a seperate icon for Challenges however I do understand there would be technical requirements behind this. (although, there was a new icon created for the GIGA and it doesnt seem to have made any technical impacts?) I would also like to see the heat from reviewers removed on challenges. Its all but impossible to release a challenge cache in Australia as the reviewers see everything as "changing the way a cacher does their caching". I disagree with that, as they say, not all puzzles will be solved by everyone, not every cache will be found by everyone. Challenges are the same, its a choice made by the individual if they wish to accomplish the challenge.

I enjoy the variety type challenges (like the bingo ones) where you need to get a variety of things prior to qualifying. I do like setting goals based on challenges created.

None, I like to give them all a crack. Clearly the ones that state "Must find x in y only" are avoided as I like to have freedom on my finds locations.

I understand why the moratorium has been put into place, but I dont think it should be world wide. In the USA, there are thousands and thousands of Challenge caches, here is Australia, there is a small handful. I would really like to see more challenge caches in Australia as it sets goals for cachers who have been doing it for a while, and would like something to accomplish. I feel the moratorium world wide needs to be reviewed and would like to see the world wide moratorium lifted.

Some challenges take me into a new direction in caching, get me out of my normal routine.

I don't like "speed" challenges, X number in a day. It's hard on existing caches of that type, and guarantees placement of EZ powertrails of all types, to make completing such challenges easy.

In general, the existence of challenges drives creation of caches to make challenge completion easier, and it drives misinformation on cache pages, false D/T ratings and fake attributes.

(When the 25 letterbox hybrids in a day challenge was published in my area, my LBH got hit. Some really whiny logs followed, as mine are not convenient if you're in a hurry. The hand carved stamp was removed from one of them, to punish me for messing up their timing. No longer an issue, someone bought stamps, and put them into a roadside powertrail of caches. )

They need an attribute, its use should be required. And over time, added by either owners or reviewers to existing challenges.(This is no bigger deal than the adding of all that additional waypoint info to the database of caches created prior to the waypoints tool. )

I'd like a limit owned per Premium account. If a person knows they can only create 5 (or some other number), maybe they'll think on it more and not just copy a couple of the most recent project gc macros in Bronze Silver Gold Platinum versions. I'd like to see an end to anything about speed caching.

Geographically based. Like Geocaching, the language of location.

Anything that requires caching fast.

Anything that's really an attempt to drive finding the cache owner's caches. Generally as "X number of caches with Word" in the title, when they've just hidden a large number of caches with Word in the title.

Challenge caches provide goals for me to keep working on as a cacher. I have some challenges that I've been slowly working on for years and I'm looking forward to being able to complete them.

The concept of challenge caches is great. If I had a problem with a cache type/style, it would be the proliferation of power trails, but that is another question. The only real problems I have with challenge caches are with specific challenge cache requirements - I'll address this in #5.

•  
  • Like many others, I believe challenge caches should have their own icon.
  • I'd like to see an easy-to-prove qualification requirement. If a short bookmark list or the statistics page on the user page isn't sufficient, it should be a requirement that that the user provide some easily accessible method of proving that you qualify. Adding to the API section that helps set up bookmarks would allow 3rd party developers to help provide tools for cachers to help prove their qualifications more easily (e.g. Adding a found date or a prefix to the bookmark entry).
  • Challenges where you can't use previous finds as part of your qualification aren't fair to those who have already cached a lot previously.

I like most challenge caches. Probably my favorite types are those that provide incentive to find caches outside of my comfort zone and really do challenge me to get out of my local town (Fizzy Challenge, DeLorme Challenge, Thomas Guide Challenges, County challenges, etc.).

I don't avoid any challenges - I try to find everything!

Having said that, there are caches that I don't like as much. The challenges I dislike the most are those that encourage placement of new caches to help people qualify (e.g. find 25 caches that start with the letter "x" when there are only 10 such caches within a 100 mile radius of the challenge). New challenges should be readily findable without the need for people to place new caches that are primarily just there to help people qualify for the challenge.

I do not think that challenge caches should necessarily be easy to achieve for everyone. Just as every cacher can't necessarily go to a T5 cache or solve a D5 puzzle, it's perfectly acceptable that there will be cachers who can't achieve qualification for difficult challenges (and the difficulty level of the challenge should reflect this).

At first I thought this was an April Fool's Day joke, but then I realized that was 3 weeks ago. I'm breaking my self imposed exile from the forums to comment on this topic. Here goes:

Exactly what the name implies: The Challenge. I like the interesting twist some cachers dream up. Is it impossible? No, just difficult. I like being able to boast that I've accomplished something that few others can or will.

I have to admit there are some lame challenge caches out there, but one person's trash is another person's treasure.

As many have said they deserve their own icon instead of the "?" they have been assigned. Also, perhaps potential challenge caches need some sort of a voting system as to whether they should be allowed or not instead of it being up to the whim of an individual reviewer. (I'm not coming down on the volunteer reviewers. It's a mostly thankless job and I'm surprised those that do it stick around for so long.)

I like the ones that are attainable but only if you want to put in the effort. Like I said earlier, the more interesting twists the better.

I'll look at them but if I don't qualify (or easily qualify) I'll just move on unless the concept really gets my attention. There are millions of caches in the world...I'm not going to get my undies in a bunch over a few oddball ones.

Although finding boxes in bushes can be great fun for some for years, others get bored right away. Why push yourself to find difficult caches or to try new cache types? I got bored of caching a few years ago and then discovered the challenge caches. Something about a challenge really motivated me to try new things like finding more difficult caches that I would normally try or to worry about dot days. Really, challenge caches gave new life to my caching and got me back into it in a big way. So, for me, I really like that if someone is looking for some motivation, challenge caches are there.

Nothing. There are some challenge caches I will never find because I have no interest in finding a cache a day for a year, for example. But likewise, there are traditional caches that I have no interest in finding. I dont begrudge challenge caches or those that hide them simply because I dont think I could qualify. And just like any other cache, if I think I have a better idea, I can hide my own challenge.

Nothing other than maybe a specific icon.

Ones that are not easy, but are also achievable for those who are willing to give it a go. An example, is to fill every dot day in the caching calendar. Or ones that require you to find different combinations of caches either on one day or over a set period. I have been working on meeting the requirements of one challenge cache over the past three years. I am not there yet, but I am working towards it and it keeps me motivated to get out there and find the caches that will meet the challenge.

None. If I can meet the requirements, I will try to do it. But, I always search out challenge caches, especially when I am visiting a new area and I will try to qualify before I visit.

Please dont abolish them

The thing is, like any cache out there, if you dont like the requirement for a challenge cache, you dont have to do it. Just because some people dont like the challenge caches doesnt mean that they should be abolished. No one is required to complete challenge caches and therefore their existence does not impact those who dont like them. However, for those of us who find challenge caches to be a great motivator to get out and find caches we might not otherwise find, abolishing the challenge caches will have an impact. I feel that geocaching will be a lot less fun without the challenges.

Challenge caches keep me interested in the sport and give me goals to accomplish (as silly or mundane as they sometimes are). When we go on a trip to a new place, I am often overwhelmed by the number of new caches available to go and find. Typically we go for caches that have a lot of favorite points or will help us work towards a number of various challenges we are working on. These could be related to Dates Placed, D/T, location (like county or DeLorme), or something as silly as having a specific word in a title.

There are only two things I don't like about challenge caches. Often times as time passes, certain requirements for a challenge are no longer feasible and it tends to exclude new players. For example, there is a challenge nearby that requires completing the D/T grid AND getting a cache of each icon type. Unfortunately, over the past several years, certain icon types have all but disappeared (the APE cache for example). Unless a new geocacher plans to go to Brazil for the last APE cache, the challenge is unattainable.

The other thing that I dislike is the lack of consistency and guidelines in giving the challenge a proper D/T. I've seen challenges that require 100 days of caching in a row that have a 5 difficulty and caches that require 365 days in a row of caching that have a 3 difficulty rating. As a person who enjoys both placing and finding challenges, I wish there was more consistency in the D/T ratings.

I would like a better way find challenge caches and a better, more consistent system for rating the challenges.

I like all kinds of challenges. I like challenges that get me going to new places (state parks, new counties), get me outside caching on days when I'd otherwise stay on the couch, and are unique (like a recent "Food Pyramid" challenge that required you to have various finds with foods in the titles) just because they are fun. I don't mind challenges that require you to gather information or do bookkeeping. If others don't like that then they should just avoid that challenge. Not everyone has to like all types of caches.

I tend to avoid challenges where the CO requires you to create a bookmark list of your qualifying caches along with their cache and make it public so that they can verify you have met the requirements. I have seen challenges that require this even though the information is readily available on my statistics or could be typed into the log. I feel like the bookmark list is simply the CO's shameless way of promoting their challenge by getting it onto a lot of public bookmark lists.

What do you like most about challenge caches? A high-quality challenge cache can create a stretch goal, making the game more challenging, and encourage the player to try something he/she otherwise might not consider. Not all of them are high quality, but you don't have to find them all. Some of the complaints in this thread seem to be people wanting to ban aspects of the game that don't appeal to them personally. There's more than one way to play.

What do you not like about challenge caches? I dislike challenge caches with overly complex or unclear rules. The challenge should be simply stated.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Create an attribute to more easily distinguish challenge caches from other caches. If we could time travel, a distinct icon would have been nice, but doing that would mess up the history. I wouldn't care if the rules are streamlined to make life easier for reviewers. Challenge checkers, as pioneered by Project GC, are great, and I hope Groundspeak can play with Project GC in a spirit of cooperation.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Challenges that make you work a bit but that are attainable, where the goals can be stated simply and aren't arbitrary.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? Challenges where determining whether you qualify is difficult or confusing, or that require large numbers of caches to be found in a very short time, or that require very long streaks. But I would never expect that a category should be eliminated because I don't enjoy it.

Not much, it breaks the casual and fun part of geocaching, it is not a competition.

Challenge are ALR, ALR are not permited.. so....

The fact that most of them require specific conditions not obtainable anywhere any time. It is not everywhere that there are 100+ cachers with 100+ hides each. Geographic regions varies sont cache are too dofferent and may not meet the "requirement" for those challenges

IF those are only ABOUT NUMBERS then they should not be a "physical" cache, not Blocking spots, Those Challenge are Numbers soooo put it on Stat page, make yhem as acheivements... but not as Caches. not Physical caches.

I like teh way "badges" works, denote accomplishement, acheivements, but they sare not CACHES

Any challenge that state Behaviours on teh way to cahes, time restriction, geological restrictions etc...

Edited by FrogMastr

It`s goal driven and rewarding.

Some are just to complex and to many copycats.

A challenge attribute would be nice. Macro for each challenge.

Grid`s and D/T rating type`s. Originals

One`s that require hours staring at my find list trying to find requirements.

I like going back over my old finds and thinking about how much fun I had finding that particular cache. Also getting out there and doing something you might not do otherwise because a c/o came up with a challenge you might not have thought of otherwise.

Nothing.

Adding another icon would be helpful in determining which are challenges and which are mysteries.

My favorite challnge types are ones you have to work a bit for. Anyone can find an lpc, but it takes some work to complete your matrix, or fill in all dates found.

I like them all. Even the ones I might not ever qualify for. It gives me something to look forward to.

Please don't allow a few knuckleheads to ruin challenges for everyone like with vituals and webcams. In fact, they need their own icon.

They give a sense of accomplishment. Not everyone can qualify. That's okay. A person who doesn't qualify can aspire to it or ignore it.

Some are just ridiculous.

Give them an icon.

The kind that I will eventually achieve without trying, but can actively pursue if I choose.

The kind that require you to travel hundreds of miles just to find caches with no vowels in the title, mispellings, or specific words that aren't in the same state. Some challenges seem more like the person posing the challenge is bragging rather than trying to make geocaching fun for cachers.

As an added thought or two:

I second Isonzo Karst's suggestion that challenge be limited to a certain number per per premium member, although 2 or 3 seem like a better number to me. I would also require certain challenges to apply only to caches published before the challenge date - that would prevent the proliferation of caches with names like "green yogurt viking asteroid park trail &$^*%" to meet challenges that require certain words, symbols, or types of caches.

As I read through the responses, I see many of the points I would make, both positive and negative, so I won't go there.

I will make a suggestion. OK, so we complete these challenges and we are proud and would like to show off our accomplishment with a badge or honor. We would also like challenges to have a different icon so they stand out, and I can show others my accomplishments. Well, then, lets think outside of this box for a moment. We already have souvenirs. What about making up a challenge badge system similar to the souvenirs. Groundspeak will have a special reviewer (similar to Earthcaches), who will just do challenge badges. Only challenges that they deem and the caching public deem a decent challenge, will become a badge.

And don't make it so I have to go sign a final physical cache to complete the challenge by the way. That way, when I finish the Fizzy challenge, I don't have to drive to the nearest state that has one. I also don't have to see a Fizzy challenge in every state.

This would also make sense with the Delorme challenge. I drive all around a state finding caches to make sure I've covered it, but then I have to have the owner's permission and final coords before I can leave that state. If it were a badge system, I could take as many trips through that state I want and the delorme pages I hit would show on the badge. Then, when I hit the last delorme page, that badge lights up and it's complete.

1. I like that Challenge caches encourage certain geo-accomplishments that lead to great adventures or encourage more well-rounded geocaching.

2. Many Challenges seem non-nonsensical; the challenge is about finding obscure and largely meaningless subsets of caches and involve more homework than geocaching.

3. An Attribute for Challenges would be good; a separate icon would be best. I know the latter would necessitate retroactively changing lots of cache types which may not be possible (or something Groundspeak wants to undertake) so the Attribute is probably the best compromise.

Frankly, it wouldn't break my heart if Challenges were discontinued and replaced by a much more extensive Souvenir system. I would lose some cool challenges (like the Florida State Parks Challenge I own), but milestone, Jasmer, Fizzy, calendar, Delorme, county, and similar challenges would be preserved and automated.

4. I really like any meaningful "milestone" challenge, especially geographic ones. Examples would be "Find 100 Virtuals" or "Find A Cache In Every County In Florida." My favorite challenge caches are the Florida Challenge Quest trio: North, South, and Final. They are essentially county challenges and encouraged me to visit many parts of my state that I had never been to before.

5. I think there are two bad types of challenges. The first is "X-in-a-day" challenges because they tend to lead to silly escalation and encourage questionable logging behavior. The second is challenges that are obscure and/or meaningless. Examples would be:

"Find a cache hidden on the birthday of each US president"

"Find 25 caches with the name of an animal in the title"

"Spell supercalifragilisticexpialidocious using the names of COs of caches you have found."

I also ignore streak-based challenges because I rarely cache more than a couple days in a row and maintaining a streak of any significant length would involve looking for lots of PnGs or other caches I don't want to seek.

In general, I also think the proliferation of challenges is really watering them down. Not far from me someone even published a power trail of Challenge caches!

I like the goals that you can set by attempting to fulfill some of them. The ones that take time to complete are the best as you get a great sense of accomplishment once you reach that goal.

I find caches that put date limitations (only caches placed by this date count) or ALRs on them (you have to opt in to start the challenge). I think if you meet the criteria with any cache in you find list it should count. A challenge should stand a time test, if the cache is still possible after 10 years it passes the test, if after a few years caches are not available to meet the criteria then it would fail.

I think they should have their own icon, make them easy to search or ignore. I would like to see them limited to meaningful challenges. Finding 10 caches with xyz in the name should be disqualified. Challenges that require inside knowledge of a specific group of people or person should be banned. Caches should be attainable by all cachers with enough time and effort.

I like the Fizzy and Jasmer challenges as they are a goal that can be worked on over a long period of time or completed quickly if given the right resource. I also like the challenges where you get clues from a series of caches to get the coords to a final.

I avoid anything that I feel is unnecessary work or over restrictive requirements. For example a county challenge that you have to opt in on and only caches you find after you opt in count. Challenges that become so difficult because the qualifications include cache types that are no longer available. I do not get upset if I cannot complete a challenge, I just ignore it. Not all caches can be found by one person.

I like it that in a world stuffed with caches, it gives me something to shoot for; a goal to obtain. Otherwise, at this point, I just look at the huge sea of caches out there and they start to lose their purpose. This gives some purpose to caching. This gives direction to caching, rather than just knocking off numbers in a sea of lamp posts.

Good challenges take me to better places, give me greater heights to reach to.

I don't like stupid challenges that are based just on statistics. There are a few good statistic challenges, but there are so many dumb ones now.

For instance: Find five different caches each with exactly a 3/3 D/T rating. Each cache must be of a different type (puzzle, traditional, etc.). There is no great purpose to that. How does that enhance my geocaching experience? It doesn't. There are a million out there that are similar that are based on statistics that have no meaning. I don't like those. For statistics that actually enhance my geocaching experience, then I like them (such as the Fizzy challenge which does take me to new difficult levels). If it has no purpose other than to make me sit and sort through my statistics for hours then I hate it.

I would like to see them get their own icon.

It would be nice to have only interesting challenge caches out there, but we're back in the old "virtuals" discussion about "wow factor." How do you define and support that? I want them to be only caches that enhance my geocaching and life experience. I don't know how that could happen though.

A cache that enhances my experiences and takes me to great new places.

The all-time world's BEST challenge cache is Lamoracke's Washington State Island Hopping Challenge, http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2T4GY_the-washington-state-island-hopping-challenge

where you've got to find a cache on each of 23 islands. That took me to a lot of places I wouldn't have otherwise gone. It's taken me to some of the most incredible places I've been in my life. I have incredible stories and memories because of that challenge. I also learned how amazing islands can be. They are my favorite place to cache now. That challenge greatly enhanced my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could go on and on for hours about how fantastic my journey was to find that final cache. It was amazing. It added wonders to my life experiences. That cache was something I'll remember the rest of my life as a bright light. So many caches I'll never remember. That one was brilliantly astounding. Those experiences are what are the building blocks of a great life. It was an amazing time. I wish I had it to do all over again - ten times!!!!

Another good example of a challenge cache is some of the challenges that take you to the very old caches that you usually have to hike to. Those were usually put in extraordinary places. Caches that take you to amazing places are the best, and make the best challenge caches.

Any history or earth cache challenges would be worthy for me because, once again they add to life experience by teaching something.

Those challenges that are based on caching with other people are pretty good too. Those could bring community together. That makes them worthwhile.

The stupid statistic ones that mean nothing and take me nowhere interesting but just make me spend hours sorting through my past finds to try to qualify.

(edit because one title didn't get underlined)

Edited by Sol seaker

I don't really enjoy challenge caches and most go on my ignore list; however, I know many people like them.

I would like them to be their own cache type as they are not puzzles nor unknown. I would therefore not confuse them with puzzles when looking for caches as I like the puzzles. I've seen others suggest having an attribute but those aren't applied consistently by cache owners but might be nice for all those challenge caches already out there so those could at least be identified.

If they were their own cache type, they would be easier to distinguish from other types and those that like them can choose to go after them and those that don't like them can more easily ignore them and exclude them from their queries.