Challenge Caches

Frau Potter

1.What do you like most about challenge caches?

They provide a "goal" to reach towards.

2.What do you not like about challenge caches?

There are WAY too many being published, many are duplicates of other challenges in a similar geographic region, and they tend to make geocaching more about "statistics" and prolific cachers qualify for most of them by default. Too many challenges are not well thought out and are placed just for the satisfaction of "creating a challenge." The D/T ratings of challenges undervalue a good puzzle. It often times takes a lot more work and effort to solve a 5/5 puzzle than it does a 5/5 challenge that many people qualify for by default.

3.What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

REQUIRE a cacher to qualify for their own challenges before publishing. Too many "throw down" challenges are being placed now, and the hider himself will never qualify. A challenge cache should be well thought out, and challenge someone to qualify - not a throw down on a power trail that prolific cachers can log 100+ challenges in a day. With the number of prolific cachers today, it's easy to find "4 or 5" cachers who qualify for about anything today. I think that requiring the hider qualify for his/her own challenge will cut down on a lot of the garbage.

4.If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Geographically based rather than statistically based. A challenge that takes a little work and planning, NOT something that will be nearly impossible or change my caching style just to qualify. Something that all leisure cachers could qualify for IF they planned right and put some effort in the challenge, not those that only cachers with 10k+ finds will qualify for. Something that is NOT on a power trail!

5.What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Challenges that require caches to be found on certain days or those that are about "the numbers."

Let me say, first off, that I was a little surprised by the moratorium, and by some of the reports in this thread. I guess I live in a "good" area with respect to local cachers. None of the sins posted here (e.g. impossible challenges, caches created solely to help fulfill challenges, etc.) seem to be common in this area. (Southeast Michigan, if that matters.)

What do you like most about challenge caches?

As others have said ... that it pushes me to consider finding caches (of all kinds) that I might not have otherwise sought out.

What do you not like about challenge caches?

I really don't have any complaints about challenge caches. If I had to manufacture a complaint, it might be that some of them require some work in order to determine (and prove) qualifications.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I don't have any particular changes in mind. A separate icon could be nice, but in my experience, Mystery caches tend to be rare enough that it's not hard to find them.

If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Ones that encourage me to consider making finds I might not do otherwise. There's a series of caches locally that require cachers to find X number of caches in Y number of different states (where X and Y are various multiples of 5). When I travel on business, this encourages me to get out and see the city more than I might otherwise.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

I don't intentionally "avoid" challenges ... though I don't go out of my way to try and qualify for one if the challenge is substantially out of reach.

I like going places I wouldn't normally because I want to fill a challenge.

What do you not like about challenge caches? Some challenges aren't really a challenge, like alphabet challenges. If you have enough finds, you don't have to do anything on it except the paperwork. Also, some owners aren't good at getting back coordinates if you've finished a challenge. It's a shame to qualify for a delorme or all-county that you can't finish cuz you can't get the coords to the final ftom the c.o.

What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Make it so the cache final location is at the posted coordinates, especially for challenges that require a lot of travel to complete.

if you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Delorme, all county, state parks, area code, etc.

What types of challenge caches do you avoid? anything involving a range of days, a percent of caches found, or anything alphabet list ones.

I like those that give me a sense of satisfaction to have accomplished or takes me to worthwhile places I would not otherwise go to.

Ones that are time oriented.

A convenient and universal way to document them but I don't see that as a reasonable possibility without stifling the creativity of cachemakers

One that forces me to travel to interesting places (not necessarily Earthcaches which I'm not a fan of because of the boring documentation requirements). Our two favorites would be the Cache Across America Challenge and the St Lawrence Seaway Series which isn't even a challenge but should be.

Time oriented. Terrain oriented (I'm 71)

To be honest I like things the way they are. There are challenges out there that I have no intention of trying and some that look attractive. There's a very few that I don't think should have been published but I don't remember where they were. Giving challenges a type of their own would make it much easier to find them.

Well I thought I'd better add my tuppenceworth

Challenge caches that get me to explore a new place. I particularly enjoyed one on Skye recently (GC5NEZ6) that encouraged me to find caches on different parts of the island related to its past and present. In short, ones that are challenging enough yet achievable.

-The ones you look at and immediately click 'ignore' . As much of an addiction this hobby is, I, and many others do not have the time or patience to find several hundred caches in a day or find a cache every day for a year or three.

-Ones that are not realistically achievable. Isn't the point of geocaching to find these things, because by the time I'm qualified enough to find it, it's been muggled or archived, and you're left thinking 'What a waste of time...'

A built in tool to check if you've completed the challenge would be nice, yet probably difficult to sort out. But then again, I am paying £24.99 a year to get full access to geocaching.com

I would prefer an attribute over a new cache type as this would mean I would not have to fork out for an upgraded GPS that can read 'challenge cache' type gpx files. Or something to distinguish them with - ie. all must contain the word 'challenge' in the title. (I know most do, but still...)

I would also appreciate it if the challenge reflected its location. A generic challenge is all very well and good but can be emulated practically anywhere. Challenges such as "find x caches in y county" are great, as long as the cache is placed in y as it reflects the area the cache is placed in. The Explorer/ Landranger Challenges are a good example of what I like.

Something that challenges me, but is realistically achievable. As I mentioned above, one that helps me explore an island, county etc.

Ones I click ignore at because they're pointless. It just can't be worth putting money, time and effort into a cool cache for 2 people to find a year because the challenge is so hard to complete. Why do it? Why not hide a trad in the same place that gets a load of visits = cachers happy, and CO is happy.

That's enough rabbiting from me now.

Challenges are, however, a good part of geocaching whatever way we look at it as it encourages you to aim for something and get something for completing your challenge.

Ta!

Jonathan

The Rabbit Clan

Lancashire, England, UK

I dont like them at all

Some the requirments are to hard to adcive example get 100 caches in a day.

get rid of them

None.

I dont do them. I avoid all of them

I like that challenge caches give a goal to work towards.

The only major thing I don't like is challenge caches that seem extremely difficult to do without cheating. However, most of those challenges are so different from my caching habits that I wouldn't want to try them anyway.

It would be nice if there was a way to distinguish challenge caches from regular mystery/puzzle caches, especially since a number of my local challenge caches are actually at the posted coordinates.

I'm really enjoying a 50,000 foot (cumulative) elevation gain challenge. I'm also looking forward to working on some blackout caches in local wilderness areas. I think the xxx miles hiked challenges might be fun. I like challenge caches that push me to visit places I wouldn't otherwise visit. So I would probably enjoy something like the Washington State Parks Geotour.

I skip the ones that require finding many caches in one day or finding a cache for many days in a row. I prefer to take my time and enjoy each cache I find.

Please let us know:

1. What do you like most about challenge caches?

True "challenge" caches encourage us to set a goal and then work to obtain it.....lets us enjoy the process of caching.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches?

They seem to have multiplied recently. These new "Challenges" seem more about : look what the C.O. has done versus here is a challenge for the community to achieve.

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

more defined guidelines..... qualification checking shouldn't necessitate access to another program/site i.e.: GSAK or an arduous process of searching caches for letters/words...etc

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

A challenge that is based on actual caching.....

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Those that require a long search through past found caches to find obscure words/letters etc....ugh!

I love challenge caches and have completed almost 50 and just need to sign the physical log for another dozen or so. I love the motivational factor of them -- the feeling of accomplishment when you sign the log and mark it as found. I think they help inspire me to find new places, keep vigilant watch over my statistics and where and what I've found.

But the best part of challenge caches is the memories. Not only do they help create new memories when I am finding the specific challenge cache, but when I'm typing in my qualifying lists I think back to those caches that I found and am using as a qualifier and man it brings back the memories.

Some of the restrictions placed on challenges -- see question below for details.

I would love to see an icon specific for them. Additionally, the restrictions on what a challenge is and isn't needs to be revisited. For example, I tried to submit a challenge for lab caches and it was rejected with no absolutely clear reason other than "We don't want lab caches as challenges." They are included in our statistics, count as a found, and therefore should be fair game.

One of my favorite types are X number in a day -- I love power trails and have so much fun planning routes, getting groups together, spending all day in a car hoping in and out to find the cache.

The memories created on power caching days will last a lifetime. Some geo-friends, my wife, and I went out and did some power trails in Yerington, NV and hit up 200+ unknowns in 1 day -- just to qualify for some challenges.

Days in a row type challenges. I don't have the patience to find a cache everyday. But I'm not against their existence. I have a lot of friends who have 500+ days in a row of caching. Challenges like this reward them for their diligent effort and their loyalty to the game.

Edited by LostSailRs

1) What do you like most about challenge caches?

- the challenge to accomplish!! There are so many great ideas for challenges you can do and once you accomplish one task you often can just log high rated caches, the challenge caches, in other areas. challenges are real fun and one of my favorite cache types.

- I like that some of them also include a puzzle to find the container!

- keep them at geocaching.com no other website like Waymarking or anything..

2) What do you not like about challenge caches?

- it sometimes gets really hard to get it published if its "too challenging", make it easier to get your ideas of a challenge published!

- current change that you can sign the logbook even if you dont accomplish the challenge. thats just nonesense!!! what date is your found it then if you log them offline one day and you need another 3 days to accomplish them? The order should be: finish the challenge task, write your name in the offline log book, log online on the date you put in offline.

3) What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

- they probably should have a own icon

4) If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

- all of them! they are so unique and some are easy and some are not. its just fun to get such a great offer to choose from!

5) What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

- none. There are some really hard challenges in the aread and I know I probably wont be able to ever do them, but still, I like the nice offer from the challenge owner to ask to do the challenge, but its still my choice which caches I want to do. there should be all different kind of caches, so everybody can pick what he/she likes most. nobody says I have to do all caches in my area..

1. What do you like most about challenge caches? I love challenges, it gives me a target to go for, besides just grabbing another PnG or Skirt Lifter. It keeps the game fun and interesting.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches? Sometime logging requirements can be difficult to understand. Sometime it is difficult to tell if they are at actual coordinates or need to also solve a puzzle.

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Definitely would love a new icon (or at least some unique identifier) so they are easier to identify.

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? Any one that gets me out finding more caches.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? (I do still try to complete any, but will avoid these on occasions)

> Regional that require me to find in a specific area or by a specific cacher

> Time sensitive, Find so many in a day, or in a specified time period.

[1]What do you like most about challenge caches?

[2]What do you not like about challenge caches?

[3]What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

[4]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

[5]What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

1. As far as I am aware we have only done one. I say as far as I am aware because the definition is unclear to us. We have done a few caches that state Challenge in the name ... which ones were challenges as far as the rule book goes ... pfff no idea. So an Icon would give us a clue and enable us to search specifically for them as a type.

2. Its a big playpen no need to make it smaller. If I want to play on the swings I can, if I dont I wont. I wouldnt object to anyone else using the swing that would be silly.

3. Let the CO's loose and see what they come up with for a trial period. We have caches in a contaminated radiation area. So thats a bit of a hoop to get through. As long as it is achievable by some, whats the problem. Its a diverse community lets have at it. There is a world of experience in laws, science, I went caching with a rocket scientist a while back, so trust the community and see how it grows ... under its own cache type so it can be reigned in if required.

4. I guess the one I remember was based on finding a cache on a UK island and it listed all the qualifying islands. Not had much experience with them. There is a huge amount not far away but they seem caches for the sake of it. Instead of challenging you to do something specific they seem based on achievements. Meaning statistic based claims rather than actually doing something I would not already accomplish by default. Make them like Earth caches for other stuff. Witness a tidal bore and photograph your GPS with it. Watch a Volcano Erupt. Skydive and land at however many GZ's in a week. Stuff that actually satisfies the term challenge.

5. Ones that I will just get as a matter of course. They do not seem to actually represent anything special. Its like puzzle cache that will solve itself. A multy that explains the answers to each stage or a difficulty 5 traditional hide that is brilliant ... with a spoiler of the container in situ with an arrow.

We have had a look at challenge cache guidelines and they are so convoluted they have restricted people into making them ... just a matter of course caches that you will qualify for at some point, rather than go out and get. This has deteriorated into kicking the hell out of the bits they are allowed to say. 10,000 church micros in a day etc. It is so restricted ... it has outgrown its restriction and the ideas are limited. From what we have seen.

We would love another cache type to go for. Why wouldnt you.

I'm a big fan of challenge caches and have found over 600 of them. After 6 years of geocaching, they keep the game fresh and interesting for me, encouraging me to challenge myself to achieve them and I feel good when I complete one. It also means I go out finding more caches (and visit more interesting places) than I would otherwise. I also very much like the fact that previous finds count - otherwise long-standing players of the game would be unfairly penalised.

I particularly love challenge caches which allow me to qualify at my own pace.

*Any time-based one e.g. get 100 caches within a day or find a certain cache on a certain day. This actually seems to contradict the main guideline which only says you have to sign the log. The guideline does not say a log has to be dated and therefore asking for caches found on certain dates can't truly be substantiated.

*The fact that Groundspeak has not produced a set of adequate guidelines for claiming a challenge cache some days/weeks etc after you've found it. It seems to be up to the individual when the find is actually claimed which can be on any date they choose thus making a mockery of the situation above when some other challenge caches ask for finds on a specific date. The possibility for manipulation of finds on any given day arises because of this.

*I'm also not overly fond of the 'find a certain cache on a certain day' challenges. I feel sometimes as if I HAVE to go caching on a day when I'd rather be doing something else, rather than go caching when I WANT to and when it's enjoyable for me to.

*The sometimes inconsistent approach to the application of the challenge cache guidelines by different reviewers. Obviously mistakes happen from time to time (reviewers are only human after all) so let me make this clear that this is not having a go at reviewers who do a difficult and time-consuming job for no pay! However it seems that different reviewers are stricter on some things and not others and the situation can appear a little unfair for those cachers whose challenges have been rejected, when they see the same requirements sail through the process elsewhere in the country.

*Clarification of WHEN a challenge cache must be claimed (if the find was pre-emptive) to be the immediate date of qualification. It obviously can't be the date of finding as this could muck up milestone finds from months or years before.

*Refusal for any more time or date based challenges, such as 100 caches in a day type challenge, unless the main guidelines are also clarified to say that a paper log must be dated as at the date of the find.

*Improved consistency over the application of the guidelines by reviewers. The appointment of a specialist challenge reviewer (or panel of specialists) for each country would help ensure a consistent and fair approach to the interpretation of the guidelines in each country. This would be similar to the approach which Groundspeak has adopted for earthcaches.

If you could describe your favourite challenge cache type, what would it be?

One which allows me to qualify AT MY OWN PACE.

One which gets me visiting a new interesting place.

One which is stretching enough to give me something extra to do - but not overly so (e.g. 6-10 countries in a day is far too many).

One which has several ways of qualifying so that if, say, I can't climb a tall tree, I can solve a difficult puzzle instead.

One which (in finding it) helps me qualify for yet another challenge (I DO like challenge caches!)

Anything which involves high tree-climbing or requires ropes or a boat (as I have none of the equipment).

A challenge which asks me to visit too many churches in a day (say 50). These locations are much better when enjoyed at a more leisurely pace.

Any challenge which has slipped through the net and contravenes the guidelines.

Adds a complete new dimension to geocaching that particularly appeals to more experienced geocachers who might have otherwise given up the hobby. I have done a large number of challenge caches and find most to be a rewarding experience

People deliberately putting incorrect D/T ratings or incorrect attributes on caches that they own so that a challenge criteria can be met for others. Events are a particular problem.

Specific icon for challenge caches. Requiring the challenge cache owner to have completed the challenge themselves before the challenge is published

Ones that involve having to travel to different locations away from my home town. Ones that encourage me to push my limits. That is where it gets tricky as everyone has different limits.

Streaks and ones with specific time requirements. I prefer to cache at my own pace. Also ones with very complicated rules/logging requirements.

Edited by Zorgon

Been caching about 18 months. 339 finds, NO challenge caches found. I qualify for a couple, but I haven't gotten over to the caches to find and log them.

I LIKE: I like some of the creative ones, such as finds on obscure holidays, etc. - challenges that make us do cache types we normally wouldn't. Geographical ones are good, too - one cache in each county in a state, one in each degree around a given point, etc. that take us to new places.

WHAT TO CHANGE: It seems like they get more and more impossible, or just a matter of a 10,000+ find cacher doing some cache crunching to determine that they've already qualified. Or big numbers-run caches (X number in a day). These don't tend towards fun, IMHO; they tend more to "gotta quickly get this cache and move on to the next" style of caching, which isn't fun for CO's.

I don't see a happy medium between encouraging new cache finds (rather than just doing bookkeeping to get your list of already-found qualifying caches) and allowing for those who have found every cache within 100 miles; you're always going to upset someone. *shrug* But I would like to see a limit on the "number of caches in a day" challenges. I don't know how those are good for anyone or for Geocaching in general.

I'd like to see the demise of challenges that depend on old caches. That way when a cache owner has left and his cache is a rotten pile of pulp, people won't complain when it gets archived due to neglect. "It's an old cache! It's need for Jasmer/whatever other challenge!" should not be a reason to keep a cache around.

FAVORITE CHALLENGE CACHE: No comment; see above comments.

CHALLENGES I AVOID: I don't think I'll ever do high-number-of-finds-in-a-day challenge caches, nor Jasmers or other variants of Jasmer that rely on finding caches based on old placement dates. High number caching doesn't appeal to me, and I'd by hypocritical if I tried for the old placement date cache challenges when I don't like old caches sticking around just for those challenges. ;)

My humble opinion. :)

Man - there are some hmmm.. "interesting" replies in here. Thankfully, they are in the minority...

- It gives something to strive for. It gives folks a "project" to complete. Rather than just cache after cache after cache.

- They highlight your personal achievements. I worked hard for them - why shouldn't I be able to use them in a Challenge?

- I don't like how Challenges seem to inherently favour those with large finds. Allow time restrictions on when the qualifying caches can be found.

- Allow time restrictions on when qualifying caches are found (ie after the publication of said Challenge) to level the playing field.

- Do not allow geographic restrictions unless the Challenge is specifically about a geographic area. (ie "a Fizzy Challenge that can only be completed with qualifiers in the US)

- A lot of arguments would be caused by a cache owner not putting enough clear rules on their page to begin with. Reviewers need to ensure that's done.

- I dislike the manufacture of caches (including Events and CITOs) to suit Challenges. They are not within the spirit of Challenges. There are those that work hard to qualify for Challenges - and there are those who are more concerned on how to make getting the Challenge as easy as possible with minimal effort. How this is stopped or policed... I don't know.

- Give Challenge caches their own icon

- I don't enjoy easy Challenges. ie "Find 10 caches in a day"

- Those Challenges that take people "outside their box" are ones I enjoy.

- A well thought-out Challenge that cannot be jet-skied using manufactured caches

- Streak Caches - they are time consuming to complete. A personal preference.

PLEASE don't put checkers for Challenges on geocaching.com. Part of the difficulty is compiling your list of qualifiers. Checkers make it too easy. Those who say they don't want to spend a lot of time logging / creating lists - and more time caching... maybe avoid Challenge caches altogether? There is no rule to say you must do them?

Great MOTIVATION factor.

1. Challenges that forces people to do things in a rush (large number of finds per day/month/year).

2. Challenges that forces people to do artificial things only for statistics (rename caches, give them fake D/T ratings, fake attributes, fake logs of trackables).

3. Weird combinations of multiple criteria within one challenge cache.

More strict rules to avoid dull "challenges", like "alphabet" ones, "logging trackables", "attribute" challenges and similar ones that exists just for sake of statistics.

I like challenges that forces me to explore new places, and enjoy the game more. Here are some of GREAT examples:

1. Find "forgotten" cache - the one without log for a long time (say one year)

2. Find an Earthcache in 10 different countries

3. Find an oldest cache of each county of your state

4. Find a cache in all counties of your country (N/A for US :rolleyes: )

5. Attend at least 5 CITO events in one year

.. they should be SIMPLE and MEANINGFUL.

1. combinations of multiple different criteria

2. prompting cacher to seek for caches in a rush

3. x finds every day in a row for y days

4. alphabet challenges and all similar ones, depending on >editable information< in the listing (cache name, attributes, D/T, hidden date, .. )

5. trackable logging "challenges"

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

2. What do you like most about challenge caches?
  3. What do you not like about challenge caches?
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

1. They add a variety of flavor to the types of caches that are currently allowed. Having to do something extra to earn the Challenge icon makes it fun.

2. Challenge caches that are very narrow in focus for what needs to be done to find and log it. For example, "if you have X number of caches, divide by 10, and then find Y number of caches", etc. etc.

3. First, any cacher who submits a Challenge Cache to a reviewer MUST prove that they have met the requirements that would allow them to log the cache. If they haven't walked the walk, then they shouldn't be able to talk the talk

4. A favorite challenge cache is one that fully takes advantage of the challenge that is to be performed. It should not be a give away, but earned. Like a 365 day streak, it takes time and planning to complete that cache. But that's what makes it fun.

5. Ones that seem to be put out only to show that they cannot be solved, or are so narrow in focus that only 1 or 2 cachers would be able to complete it.

They add variety and, by definition, challenge to geocaching. I really enjoy trying to complete as many challenges as I can - they are one of the aspects of geocaching I like the most.

If there are specific challenges that I don't like, then I just leave them for others who do. I encourage others to do the same!

Remove the moratorium now!

Ones that actually require me to go out and find new caches, rather than just reviewing all my found caches to prove I've already completed the challenge. Also, ones where the CO's use their imagination to come up with a unique challenge.

I don't really avoid certain types of challenges, I just ignore ones that I know I will never have a chance at completing.

I suspect there will be no shortage of input on this subject!

I enjoy the goal orientation of many challenges. Often, working on a challenge gives a true focus to caching days. Think of county or Delorme challenges!

There are a number of challenges in my area that are absolutely ridiculous (Quad Fizzy Challenge, for example) that so few cachers in the world, much less locally, would qualify for. So the result is a 1/10th mile circle is eaten up by a cache that will almost never have a chance of being found.

I'd like a new icon, I think an attribute might be a better work around. However, there's no requirement to add such an attribute on the part of the CO as far as I know so it could be nothing more than a hit & miss solution.

Map based challenges...Counties...Find caches, or a cache type, in X number of states...Delorme

Consecutive day challenges. That motivates some cachers but it makes a fun hobby into a job for me. Also, I don't enjoy challenges that simply force you to sit in front of the computer for hours to see if you have X caches that contain the names of girls/books/movies/pick any other noun.

1. What do you like most about challenge caches? They give a differetn twist of the game where its not just about going out and finding tupperware based on a given set of co-ords or walking a round a trail - its about having done those things they help towards another goal - or knowing that certain cachers you will find in the future will help you achieve another goal.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches? I enjoy most challenges - I dont like that they are not a separate entity like mystery/multi/trad etc. - I also do not like the ability to find a challenge cache and sign the log and then claim the find once the criteria have been met which could be months ahead. You should not be able to seek out the cache until the criteria has been met and then 'finding' the cache is done after this. Currently some are finding the cache and posting a log and then when they fulfil the criteria they go back to that 'note' and change it to a 'find' which means chronologically they have found the cache before they qualified.

I have also had concerns about the following "A challenge cache needs to appeal to, and be attainable by, a reasonable number of geocachers. A challenge cache may not specifically exclude any segment of geocachers" as a guideline - yes, some challenges can appeal to ALL and will therefore be simple in their concept, however these are 'challenge' caches and so the harder ones - a lot of which have been rejected and so are not out there, have been put together and are set for the more hardened cacher, the cachers who enjoy challenges, not all cachers do but to have set a challenge that will appeal to them aswell is short sighted

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? a) New icon, B) the ability to cite other challenge caches during the publication/review process as it is often other challenges that give rise to ideas about new ones

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? multi levelled challenges based on finding certain icons - ones that actually challenge the cacher

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? streak challenges - and to link in with that, of all the guidelines that were given in relation to challenge caches "If a geocacher is required to alter their caching style or habits" is one that a streak challenge will always be against - Cachers do not go out everyday as a rule, but to be required to do so in order to fulfil this sort of requirement is a major change of caching habit. This links in with a comment in Q2. The majority of challenge caches would by their very nature change a caching habit for a period of time - but does that matter, I am not against that aspect - those that want to do that will, those that don't, won't.

Ironically, one could ask this same set of questions about any of the cache types. Therein lies the beauty of the sport. It can be tailored to anyone's particular likes/dislikes, skill levels etc. By eliminating or limiting any particular type or style of cache, it may make the results more to the liking of some cachers but, at the same time, make it less interesting to others. If there are particular challenges one doesn't find very appealing then simply ignore them. I would venture a guess that the same applies to Traditionals - some folks ignore the 1/1's as not being challenging enough and thrive on those closer to a 5/5. Whereas others ignore the higher terrain/difficulty because they are beyond their capabilities and will focus on the lower rated ones simply as a target for exercise or a family activity. I venture a guess that there are plenty of other caches to pursue so if something isn't of one's liking, ignore it and pursue the others. Adding attributes to denote challenges vs puzzles vs ? may help folks filter what they like or dislike without limiting the offerings for others.

I agree 100%!!!

If you look at a challenge and you see that you have succesed and you are allowed to log it.

Some are almost impossible to do.

I don't know what to change, maybe a different icon or atribute so you can see easier that it is an challenge.

My favorites are the ones that a normal person can succeed.

Those that are almost impossible.

I have a challenge myself and I really don't understand why this is such a big problem.

If someone don't like the challenges, dont sent the HQ with questions or something, just IGNORE them.

That is the easiest thing to do.

Maybe we need to question if a 5/5 cache is still a good thing.

It's harder for me to find a 5/5 than succeed some challenges.

Or why are there mysteries that are almost impossible to solve and where you need to do 10 steps before solving?

I think: Just leave all as it is. If you like a cache, just do it. Is a cache too hard/difficult, just ignore them.

Greetings Degek

Edited by Degek

They give me a broader perspective on geocaching.

They're much better than the earlier attempt by Groundspeak to redefine "Challenges".

They're much closer to what was going on informally anyway. But still the rules are

unclear on the one hand and needlessly restrictive on the other.

Remove ambiguities in the rules that give reviewers leeway to arbitrarily impose their

own interpretation leading to unnecessary appeals.

One that gets me out of my own zone and into the bigger world.

Most of them. But if the CO and others like them why should I care?

They give people something different to do. I would guess that after a while, finding caches might become a bit repetitive. Challenge caches give people something to strive for, after they have accomplished most other goals. This hopefully helps keep veteran cachers caching longer.

They are often not feasible for less-active cachers. Some seem very complicated and obtuse. Ones based on cache or cacher names seem pretty arbitrary. They are hard to sort out from other caches.

A different icon would be great, or at least some way of sorting. Simplified verification (some sort of automated system) would be nice. Fewer arbitrary challenges, more challenges that are relevant to actual caching.

I have not yet completed a challenge, but the ones that interest me most are ones that don't require a lot of finds, just a good variety in my finds. Fizzy grids, county completion, Delorme grids, etc. Lonely cache challenges are great, require only one or a few finds, and encourage visits to caches that could use some more visits.

Ones that require high-volume finding, like 100 in a day or something. Arbitrary challenges like alphabet or other name related challenges.

Thanks for your interest.

I like that they have the potential to ... well, to challenge me. To inspire me to try new things, get messy, explore. They broaden horizons and they can tie things together. A challenge cache can lead you to explore a geographic region, a common theme in history or even a literary narrative. they can lead you to explore your limits in attaining groups of finds based on difficulty, endurance, specialization or generalization. There is no limit to what you CAN share with a challenge cache, and if some people do limit themselves that tells us about the common denominator, not the potential. It is true that there are uninspired challenges, but tell me what exists in human creation for which that is not true?

Little to nothing. I don't like the grandfather rule. If a rule is a good rule, it is a good rule. Any cache placed before the rule was made should come into compliance so as to be good for the game or archive so as to not be detrimental to the game. Grandfather also sets up confusion as people see caches that obviously violate the rues and now they have to know not only what the rules ar, but what the rules used to be and when so that they can understand and evaluate what requirements they may be expected to meet. I am willing to bet that if you looked you would find that the grandfathered challenge cache account for a minority of the caches and a majority of the support issues within the class.

1. I would like to see a new cache type. Either a new main type of its own or sub-type of the Mystery type. This would additionally make people aware, right away that these caches will require them to go "above and beyond" a normal simple cache hunt before they can find and log the cache.

2. I would like to see rule 12 abolished. People should meet the requirements for the cache before they go find it and log it. I would never sign a challenge cache log until after i qualified for it. I have one that I have been to for my wife to log, that I did not qualify for at the time. I now qualify for it, and when I make it back over to springfield, I will happily go sign and log it, until then I have not met the challenge.

Geographic, or theme caches. Things like:

"Log one cache in each county in Missouri"

"Log 50 caches within 1 mile of the mississippi River"

"Log 50 caches related to Abraham Lincoln's life and accomplishments"

"log the closest cache to each County Court house in the 26 Southeast Missouri counties"

"Log a cache in each state park"

"Log 50 caches that highlight a state or national champion tree"

I'm afraid this could be a loaded question. Some people will read any response as "What should be banned". Just because i would like to avoid some specific kind of cache does not mean that others cannot enjoy them. That's the beauty of this game. There are things for all different tastes and capabilities. No one could ever possibly find all of the caches out there, so there is no reason to prohibit them because 'I' don't like them.

So, with the understanding that I neither call for nor condone the prohibition of these types, I would avoid th '## in a day caches". that just isn't fun to me. It is fun to some other people who I like and at least one whom I love. ;)

They can get you to look at caches and ideas that you've never tried or considered before, opening up new experiences in the game.

They can be far too involved and make it a chore rather a fun game. I don't like those that 'force' you to change the way you like to cache, ie streaks, lots of expensive travel, more logging, bookkeeping, computer work than actually finding caches.

Ones that I can work on and complete in my own time at my own pace without having to travel far and wide to specific places (other than local to the cache)

Any that involve streaks (Some of us simply can't get out to find tupperware each and every day), long distance travel, tree climbs etc and stupid quantities of caches in a day. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the caches.

1. What do you like most about challenge caches? That they are something different. I would have no interest in them if the challenge part were separated from the cache in terms of an achievement, badge, star, or other substitutes. And most of them are caches that I would not bother doing if they did not have a non-traditional icon. But if the two are put together, they are something different. At least they were until certain types of challenges got repeated ad nauseum and the numbers in general started to make them lose their luster.

2. What do you not like about challenge caches? The numbers of challenges; repetitive challenge trails; the associated caches that get placed solely because they have a name that is required by two or three challenges. The trend toward more challenges that seem to delight in absurdity.

3 What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? They should have their own icon or attribute. The numbers or repetition of types of challenges should be limited.

4. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? The best challenges are based upon themes - ones that come to mind include comic characters, cryptids, or my own challenge that focuses on UFO/Alien inspired caches.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? Challenges that are somewhat absurd - e.g., find a cache in six western states in one day. Challenges that encourage more repetition - e.g., find 400 mysteries in one day. Certain types of challenges, such as streaks, jasmers, or abandoned caches, hold no interest.

There are many challenges that have long since been run into the ground -- alphanumerics, find x number of icons or caches in one day, and the like. There are others that are based on manipulation of statistics, certain "achievements," or combinations in the GC code that I would never try to meet, but if I happen to be in the area and otherwise qualify, I might stop for it. So I would put these kind of challenges in the middle -- I do not either avoid or seek out.

I can only recall two challenges that I consciously set out to complete -- one involving a theme that I thought would be fun to incorporate in a log and one involving paddling (after we got our kayaks).

I am not certain we need anymore challenges - particularly the "yet another challenge that is like other challenges" type - so I welcome the moratorium. I would like to see it extended.

Edited by geodarts

That I don't qualify automatically for all challenges, and sometimes I actually have to earn the requirements. I like that they encourage you to try tougher caches, etc.

Add my name to the list for a new icon, at least on GC.com

Pretty much any challenge I have to work for. If it's too easy its not really a challenge.

Any requiring over a 366 day streak. That's my longest streak and I don't plan on, nor can realistically exceed that ;-)

Edited by ComedyAddict

Challenge caches are excellent ways to assign yourself a GOAL to enjoy during caching. Frequently I look for challenges to give me new ways to improve my caching ability.

Nothing. I like them all and all pieces of them.

New icon

My favorite: The challenge types related to X number of Y attributes. Such as 200 finds with Dog friendly. Those are so fun! My second favorite: challenges with a mix of caches to find. Such as 100 caches with Parks in the name. That's so fun!!!

None. Love them all!

First of all, I have only done 2 challenge caches. One was a challenge to find at least one cache located in several specific geological regions. The other was to find a small number of the oldest caches in the area. I pre-qualified for both of them. So why haven't I found more of them? It's simply because the challenge cache craze hasn't caught on in my area. There only 7 within 50 miles. I live in a comparatively cache sparse area but it's a lot more active than in most of the countries in the world. For those that have dozens of challenge cache options within their local area consider how those that live in very cache sparse areas and the whole idea around challenge caches is essentially non-existent simple because there aren't enough caches to be found to satisfy even the simplest of challenges. Personally, I'd rather GS spent their resources on aspects of the game that everyone can benefit from and not just for the geocaching elite.

The idea of an achievable *personal* goal that encourage people to find different types of caches in different areas.

Lone.R captures much of what I dislike about challenge caches. Frankly, I don't think "what do you like" and "what don't you like" questions are the right questions. I'm not so much concerned about what challenge caches do for me, but for what challenge caches for for the game. I agree with Lone.R that challenge caches encourage competition, quantity over quality, and have led to cache placements primarily to satisfy some challenge cache criteria rather than to provide a quality experience for many geocachers, and I don't think that's good for the game.

The competitive aspect manifests itself in several ways with regard to challenge caches. There are a lot of really difficult challenges and if you look at the logs you'll seen almost everyone is able to post a found it logs will have thousands of finds, and many cases cachers with 10K or many more finds as the only finders. As many, if not most challenge caches are really more achievements rather than a challenge to meet a goal, the more finds one has, the greater the chance that one has pre-qualified for challenges, thus allowing that person to log more finds that those that are not into the numbers are allowed to do.

Personally, I think the game as a whole is better when it promotes inclusiveness rather than exclusivity, especially when only the geocaching elite are allowed to pat themselves on the back for completing various difficult challenges.

Compounding the issue is that observation that it often looks like challenge caches are more of a contest to see who can create the most exclusive challenge.

Decouple the challenge (or achievement) from finding an additional geocache. That's not going to stop the proliferation of geocaches created for the sole purpose of meeting the criteria for a challenge, but it puts the focus on completing a challenge and gives anyone the opportunity to obtain the "award" for completing the challenge, not matter where they are located. I could easily qualify for many of the find a cache N different countries but I have not idea where the challenge cache related to that achievement is. Similarly, if someone completes a fizzy challenge, they now qualify to find and logs dozens of fizzy challenge caches. One achievement should have one and only one award.

N/A

As I said, I don't have to avoid them because they're almost non-existent where I live. If I happen to be traveling someplace where a challenge cache exists, I'm probably going to look for a quality hide, great location, or some other aspect rather than because it's the reward for completing some arbitrary challenge.

Thanks Frau. Well as someone who has maintained bookmark lists of challenges, listed some and done many, this decision does not shock me. I was for the last set of guidelines Geocaching made but it seems they want to get more feedback and perhaps limit what can get published going forward.

Challenge caches often give me some excitement in my caching, they force me to look for and perhaps get caches I may not have gotten before if not for the challenge. For example, finding old caches, finding caches in various parts of counties, finding high favorited ones, and I like statistics and oddities so often you find some interesting challenges.

Well, I do think some COs write some challenges that are beyond onerous to complete. A challenge should not be a gimme but the rules and documentation of challenges should not require half a day to document. Archived caches should always count and caches in the past should count too. Not a fan of challenges that say only finds today and beyond count or when you post your magic note.

3. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? They should have their own icon. I would happily volunteer my time free to help change all existing and even archived caches into a new icon if a definition of what a challenge is, as compared to a series for example. Personally I would like blackout challenges to go away. I used to be a proponent of them but I think they are not fun anymore, partly because of figuring out boundaries and dealing with isolated caches that can or cannot be found. I would also perhaps rethink challenge caches that are made easier by creating caches with titles to help, or making sock puppet CO names. I have done many of these challenges but given so many folks can defeat these challenges by listing say 20 caches with wine types in their titles, maybe they could be looked at. Can go either way on those.

I have a bookmark list of 7 different types of challenges. Type 1 in my list is "clear out grids, world, county or state wide"

this includes statewide county challenges, finding square grids in a county, or delorme challenges. I love these kind. In Washington State we have what are called Thomas Guide Challenges and those are great. Separately from that type, I also like challenges to find say the 20 oldest caches in a state, or find caches in 100 different state parks, or find a cache on 25 islands in the state or find a cache in 25 rest areas in the state or find 15 caches that are in a park with a lighthouse. Stuff that makes you have to travel to find cool caches or places. There is a challenge that encourages hiking with elevation gains, that is a nice goal to achieve. I love the Jasmer Challenge as well.

5. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? Blackout challenges, I find it a bit annoying to have to find EVERY cache in something, and that kind of challenge can suddenly pop up 10 new caches after you almost qualified the day before. Streak challenges, even though I made it to 400, those are dull to me now. Silly cache name challenges bore me more often than not. Caches with obscene number requirements, like we have one that requires over 2000 caches in a year or 500 in a day. That is a lot of caches and I do not want to get that many. The amount is going to vary by individuals but you asked a question and the ones that are higher than my personal threshold are ones I avoid.

Additional. There are 289 challenges in the state of Washington in my bookmark list and I think most of them bring value to caching. A few of them penalize old time cachers vs new ones but on the whole, they all can be done and the vast majority of them are easy to document. I love that challenges are in the sport of Geocaching and would hate to see them go away but can also understand that reviewers may or may not be using too much of their time in this one aspect of caching.

Edited by lamoracke

--> They give you goals within the game of geocaching.

--> They can take you away from your comfort zone to experience new things in life and in the game of geocaching.

--> Requiring "streaks" of geocaching. Not everyone can get out everyday, and not everyone wants to go out everyday. It feels too much like a chore to find a geocache for "X DAYS IN A ROW" and less like a game.

--> The requirement that you MUST qualify for the challenge before you set up a geocache for it. Include your "qualifications" on your cache listing.

--> A limited number of "requirements" to meet the challenge element. While some are only 1 requirement, others have multiple, and a few have an excessive amount.

--> The requirement that PAST FINDS do count. There are many out there that do not allow past finds.

--> Those that are about geocache finds not those focused on how many in a day, or how many days in a row.

--> Those that tend to have excessive requirements.

I like challenges, as they help me to push my borders.

And I see it as one extra element in the gamut of experiences you get wist geocaching.

You see a nice challenge, but you'll need one extra country or hill, so you have an incentive to go out

Not much actually. There are challenges that don't appeal to me, so what ? I don't do them. Just like I don't like some books. That does not mean there is no place for them in the library.

A attribute might be nice. I have 8 challenge caches in the field. And all of them have an automated checker to see if you comply. That is helpful for folks.

One that lets me expand my view and boundary's.

I have not yet seen one I would not do

*Some* challenges have a motivational aspect to them and I enjoy challenging myself to achieve a goal.

I quite like challenges which can be planned in advance and thus incorporated into a regular caching trip with little or no change to my normal caching style.

I don’t like that challenges which encourage other CO’s to place new caches with the sole purpose of helping others to qualify for a challenge. In my experience, when that happens, caches are placed with little thought, quality goes out of the window and it becomes all about the numbers.

Some challenges have criteria which is so convoluted that proving qualification is a laborious task and this detracts from any sense of achievement.

In their current state, challenge caches don’t require the challenge setter to have completed the challenge themselves. IMHO this is wrong.

If I am honest, I wouldn’t be sad to see them disappear altogether, but if they are to remain, then I would like there to be a requirement for all challenge setters to qualify and prove qualification of any challenge which they set.

Once a challenge has been published, the qualifying criteria should be locked so that CO's can't move the goal posts post publication.

Those which can be worked towards over a period of time or which are naturally achieved without changing my normal caching style and those which don’t require me to spend hours poring over my finds in order to prove qualification.

I am not a numbers cacher, so any challenge which involves finding a high number of caches in a day.

Any which require me to jump through hoops to prove qualification and where my achievement is likely to be rewarded with a poor cache in a poor location.

I don't like that challenge caches take up actual space on the map. Those who devote their life to getting these caches don't care an iota about the actual challenge cache container. Add to it that very few local cachers can actually log most of the challenge caches around them. There really is no reason for an actual container to exist. I hope that this conundrum is a large part of why this pause has happened.

Really, they seem to serve mostly those with huge numbers. Just run this or that GSAK macro and see if you qualify. Challenges should really ask you to do something that you haven't done. I created such a challenge, and look at it, it has only ever been completed twice. No high numbers cacher can just roll in and mark it off.

[*]What do you like most about challenge caches?

The challenge. As my icon notes, I cache with three sons. Having a unique goal or something to build to helps motivate and keep them focused.

[*]What do you not like about challenge caches?

Nothing. There are some we qualify. There are others we don't. There are some which we never will. We're not big fans of Multi caches so we don't hunt them often - that being said we don't think they should be eliminated. Likewise, just because and individual or group doesn't like a type of challenge caches doesn't mean they should have to be eliminated. Just don't hunt that type.

[*]What would you like to see changed about challenge caches?

I think they should be opened up more. I liked them better before they were restricted to things you have already accomplished. We recently completed one which required finding caches in 100 freeway rest areas. It took up several years to accomplish, but it was an accomplishment that wouldn't have happened had the hider needed to prove that he had accomplished it before hiding the cache.

[*]If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be?

Something out of the ordinary that gives reason to go back through past finds: The rest area cache mentioned above, all 20 categories of earth caches, Icon counts, number of stars in a day, finding lonely caches, etc.

[*]What types of challenge caches do you avoid?

Those that change the way we cache. The 1000 day streak has been mentioned. We wouldn't go for that one because we barely made it through a hundred day streak. That being said, we know several people with streaks of 500 or 1000 days. If you like the sport and you like the challenge and you like finding them everyday then go for it. If not, leave the question mark on your profile.

One of the things that got us motivated when we started was trying to complete an alphabet challenge. I don't know why you'd want to restrict that part of the activity. If coachers don't like an unfound challenge appearing on their profile, maybe you could add a way to excluded individual caches from showing up - I might even use it for multis.

Thanks for the opportunity to post.

Edited by XZQ&Dad

They've inspired me to go places I might otherwise not have gone, and to go the extra (tenth of a) mile on an already long hike.

Can't quickly tell the Challenges from the Puzzles.

Include the word "Challenge" in the name. (I know a lot of folks will want specific types eliminated, but I figure geocaching should appeal to everyone, not just those who like the same mode of caching that I do. I'm not so OCD that I must, Must, MUST have ALL smileys on the map. After all, I can make my own. See? >> :D )

Anything that makes me laugh; anything that makes me expand my horizons.

X days in a row challenges. Doesn't mean I want 'em gone, just that I have other caching priorities.

Edited by kittyshrink

Effective April 21, 2015, a one-year moratorium is in place on all new challenge cache submissions. It does not impact previously published challenge cache listings.

For more information about the pause, see the Help Center article.

For general feedback, aside from answering the questions below, please post in the ‘General Geocaching Discussions’ thread. This User Insights thread was started so we can get specific feedback about what you like and don’t like about challenge caches. Please keep the conversation on topic and constructive. Any off-topic or non-constructive posts will be removed. If you haven't read the User Insights Forum Guidelines, please take a moment to do so, as they differ from the general forum guidelines.

Please let us know:

1. Challenge caches allow me to have something to work towards, and to feel as though I've accomplished something at the end. Challenges that force me to get out of my comfort zone and try new things, whether it's a new type of cache or go into a new area, are some of my favorite types of caches outside of events.
  2. Challenges that are too restrictive - for example, there is a challenge being talked about in a local group about completing the Fizzy challenge 5 times (5 or more finds in each D/T combinations) with 5 different cache types. There's only so many 5/5 events!
  3. I think both a new cache type (which would be required for new challenge placements going forward) and a new attribute (which would help distinguish current challenges) would be useful. The challenge cache attribute could be excluded from the 15 attribute limit so owners don't have to choose between the two. Perhaps a found it log could have two fields - one for the date the physical log was signed, and one for the date the challenge was achieved. Use the date of signing the log as the date of the smilie, and the date of achieving the requirements as a new type of "challenge achieved" number?
  4. Challenges that make me get out and do something different or new, and that I have to work towards.
  5. There really aren't any challenge caches I am actively avoiding. I may never qualify for some of them but I do check out challenges and try to qualify for them before I go after the cache to sign the log.

the challenge of working out what i have to do, making my list

should have it's own icon

not allowed to find and sign log till u qualify

ABC

one that would require finds in more than one country

Honestly... the challenge. I enjoy setting a goal for myself and trying to find a way to meet it.

I don't like all challenges but because I don't expect that I will ever be able to qualify for all challenges they do not bother me any more than a cache that has a terrain or difficulty that I believe is out of my reach.

The only thing that I would like to see changed is I would like challenge caches to have a unique icon other than that I think they are fine how they are.

I like most of the ones I see because they are a challenge and I have to find a way to qualify.

I avoid the harder ones... but then again I have ended up qualifying for some challenges I never thought I would and a few of those have earned favorite points because the challenge was a hard one.

I have found every cache around home. I don't like doing big series. So I base most of my caching around challenge caches. I also enjoy hiding challenge caches for others to find and they are my most popular sort of hide.

consecutive days or countries travelled.

AZ challenges and earthcache challenges

Consecutive days and puzzle cache challenges

Edited by Rock Chalk
Edited to remove portion that does not conform to forum guidelines

Think challenge caches are fun and gives a person a chance to remember cacges they have done. Different icon might be better for people who don't use gsak. Would maybe say ones that require so many different icons could be changed.

Challenges are probably the reason I still cache. After filling the calendar and the DT grid, there was nothing specific to aim for except numbers. Challenges have changed that for me, given me targets, not mundane targets, but ones taking you on great journeys and to super cool locations.

The best thing is they give you something to aim for, a target if you will.

They do not have their own cache type, so it is difficult to filter them out.

As above, its own Icon

It is one that has not been allowed to be published here in Australia, but I believe there is 1 similar in the US called the Hardcore challenge. It involves finding Lots of T4.5/5 caches as well as a minimum of 10 x 5/5. There is also a requirement to find certain amounts of Attributes like Greater than 10km, climbing gear, difficult climb etc.

None, the sky is the limit.

Some can be interesting and fun to accomplish. When well thought out, some challenge caches can be very enjoyable to accomplish.

- The timescale aspect is very frustrating. Finding some special cache every day for a month for example. And streaking. I like to geocache on my own time.

- Many in our neck of the woods require several icons in a day. If you've found all the caches with special icons (webcam, virtuals, whereigos, letterboxes, etc) it is impossible to achieve these challenges without travelling very far away. (assuming you cannot re-find caches which is, of course, improper)

- The requirement of some challenges to travel worldwide or to other countries is not obtainable for some.

- Some are only reasonably achievable by retired / non-working cachers. ie) Getting 100 caches in several different provinces, states, countries, etc. When I go on vacation to somewhere unique I don't find 100 caches, I only find a couple because my time is scarce.

- I hate challenges that require huge bookmark lists or somehow require fiddling with GSAK.

- Improperly rated challenge caches that overexaggerate difficulty and/or terrain.

- Challenges in which the CO jumps through flaming hoops and expects other cachers to do the same to qualify.

- Just generally speaking, I find that some challenges prevent some finders from looking for my caches because they are saving it for a "challenge" day.

- They make geocaching more about the numbers than anything else. Makes me think of Munzees...

- Challenge cache containers are rarely unique caches. COs think a challenge cache is unique if the challenge itself is unique. The hide and location has to be good too!

- Challenges which require something to happen in a day and does not permit more caching on that day. For example, find exactly X caches on one day. But what if I want to find more? Challenges should never tell you to limit how much you cache.

- Here's my biggest peeve: Challenges are used by veteran cachers as a means of superiority. For example, finding several hundred Earthcaches or attending one hundred events, etc. Lots of challenges compound with one another to make them even more unfair - for example, filling half your Fizzy Grid in a day can only be reasonably accomplished by doing a challenge power trail consisting of many difficult challenges, etc. Once you find several challenges other challenges become easier. I've even seen challenges that make you find 100 challenges.

I would actually like to see them taken out altogether. The vast majority of my challenge finds haven't added much to my geocaching experience. There are a rare few (under 5%) that have been excellent.

Something that is fun to achieve that anyone can accomplish. No separation of veteran cachers from newbie cachers.

I've said this before: I don't like challenge caches to tell me when or how to cache. If a challenge makes me do either of those things, I usually don't do it and it goes on the ignore list!

Please let us know:

I like being able to complete one. When it gets too lengthy or requires too many other caches to complete, then I'm bored and frustrated. For me I wouldn't mind a restriction off maybe find 5/10 other caches on their birthday, with "creek" in the name, cemetery caches... or whatever.

Pretty well explained above.

A different icon really would be nice. And restrictions on how complicated the challenge is.

None, really. I've only done a handful and only because in my caching lifetime I had enough found caches to qualify the ones found as a find.

Some that require hundreds of other caches to claim.

* Please note: This thread will be open for 3 weeks, until May 12, 2015.

2. What do you like most about challenge caches? Easy way to pad one's D/T stats.
  3. What do you not like about challenge caches? To qualify for most, you must change the way you geocache
  4. What would you like to see changed about challenge caches? Remove the ALR and allow anyone who signs the log to log online.
  5. If you could describe your favorite challenge cache type, what would it be? N/A
  6. What types of challenge caches do you avoid? Any that require you to give away favorites without merit and ones that require a streak of more than a few days. Additionally, I really do not like to have to email the owner with qualifications. This is one reason I have so few EC's and Virts.

Edited by Zop

I really enjoy most challenges - have over 250 that have the name "challenge" in it but here's my feedback...

I like that they give me new goals to pursue instead of just "going out for the day". Challenges have led to several road trips that have been a real blast and I like that. [i realize that not everyone can travel though.] I love being more focused now that I have been caching for 4 years. I skip a lot of the unremarkable caches (that I was grabbing for numbers challenges) in favor of caches with higher favorite points or beautiful/unique locations.

The ones that have complicated or confusing qualifications. GSAK macros have been a big help but some I have just given up on because I can't figure out if I actually qualify. I don't care for challenges that require streaks.

GOing forward I'd love to see a specific icon for challenges so they are easy to find. Not all cachers use the word challenge in the title so if a true challenge had its own icon it would be super easy to find OR ignore... as we look for caches to hunt. It might be hard to back-change those - not sure but a unique icon would really be cool! (and it would lay the groundwork for some new challenges to find "x" number of challenge caches - LOL)

I loved the 4 grids - D/T grid; Jasmer grid; calendar days full; date placed calendar. I also liked the challenges for Types of caches, sizes of caches, I enjoyed the alphabet challenges and some of the more interesting ones like finding "x" number of geo-arts etc. I'm working on Delormes challenges but they sure require a lot of travel!

Any challenge requiring a streak. Streaks in geocaching only make me irritated and I don't ENJOY caching if I'm being FORCED to find a cache every day. I tend to avoid challenges that take an existing challenge (like the calendar - find one on every date on the calendar - take as much time as you want) and make you do it again with more numbers - so now fill your calendar with 10 caches on every day... etc. I do enjoy SOME double or triple challenges like DT challenge and double or triple Jasmers cause those are the types of caches I like to hunt anyhow.

Thank you for considering our input and feedback.