Garmin Communicator Plug In Not Detected.

CZNERIC

I plugged my garmin tactix in to download some caches for where I was going yesterday but it wouldn't let me. When I got to the page where you click send to gps it would not detect my tactic or dakota 20. It prompted me to download the plug in and I did. I opened it and installed it. When I got back to the find a geo cache map it would not let me do this again and prompted me to down load the plug in again..

When I open computer, the devices are there. And even in garmin base camp the devices are detected.

I noticed I can down load the GPX files to base camp and go from there but I want to get the caches down loaded in the traditional way through the plug in. Anyone else with this problem? Anything I should know?

BTW Im running a Macbook Pro with the latest program.

I hope I can fix this. Thank you for reading.

I plugged my garmin tactix in to download some caches for where I was going yesterday but it wouldn't let me. When I got to the page where you click send to gps it would not detect my tactic or dakota 20. It prompted me to download the plug in and I did. I opened it and installed it. When I got back to the find a geo cache map it would not let me do this again and prompted me to down load the plug in again..

When I open computer, the devices are there. And even in garmin base camp the devices are detected.

I noticed I can down load the GPX files to base camp and go from there but I want to get the caches down loaded in the traditional way through the plug in. Anyone else with this problem? Anything I should know?

Sorry for making you read this.. All I had to do was go to safari, preferences and allow plug ins.

I think it might be browser related. I had to use IE to get mine to finally work.

Had same problem using Chrome browser. Chromes says they no longer support the Garmin communicator. Had to use IE and then was able to download info directly into to my GPS unit.

Chrome quit working after the last update to the Geocaching.com website. Please website administers fix this problem. I really don't like having to use IE to download caches to my Garmin GPS

I'm having the same problem with my DeLorme GPS. Initially thought it was a DeLorme issue but now discover it's a Groundspeak one. As for using the method in the response above, I'm aware of that and normally use GSAK rather than the SEND TO GPS for large lists. For singles in a hurry, SEND TO GPS works better. Now it doesn't unless I change my default browser.

As has been said before, Groundspeak, please fix the problem.

Thanks.

Hello,

A little information:

the message indicates that Google Chrome: no longer takes Garmin Navigator supports ...

Can be remedied with this change:

1. Copy this address in a new tab in the Chrome browser: chrome: // flags / # enable-NPAPI

2. click on "activate" NPAPI highlighted in yellow

3. Then click on the bottom left on "Restart Now"

Bsonrie

Hello,

A little information:

the message indicates that Google Chrome: no longer takes Garmin Navigator supports ...

1. Copy this address in a new tab in the Chrome browser: chrome: // flags / # enable-NPAPI

Bsonrie

Thanks. That fixes the issue.

Terrible Ts

Hello,

A little information:

Bsonrie

Thanks. That fixes the issue.

Terrible Ts

Here is the link I use chrome://flags/#enable-npapi and YES it did fix the issue. Thank You!

I've been having a lot of trouble over the last few days. Being told to download Communicator when it was already on my system and had been working. I made sure that Firefox was set to always allow it to load but had no luck at all until I used Internet Explorer, not sure how it goes with Safari though.

@Sioux's

For Firefox, be sure that the plug-in has been enabled.

Firefox tab (upper left), and 'Add-ons'

'Plug-ins'

Make sure that 'Garmin Communicator Plug-In' (should be version 4.2.0.0) shows 'Always Activate' over on the far right.

With your device plugged in, go to this Garmin page >>> http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html

That should confirm whether or not your PC can see your device through the Plug-In.

@Sioux's

Just curious -- as a premium member, what are you doing that has you needing the communicator? Just the odd cache now and then, or are you using this as your primary method for loading caches?

Thanks for replying. When I want to download caches I check out each one so I don't end up loading in ones that have heaps of DNF or other issues. I click on "send to me GPS", it looks for my device but when it finds it says it can't detect the Communicator plugin. I know I could do PQs but prefer not to, I don't want to wade through heaps of caches on my GPS looking for ones that interest me.

@Sioux's

For Firefox, be sure that the plug-in has been enabled.

Firefox tab (upper left), and 'Add-ons'

'Plug-ins'

Make sure that 'Garmin Communicator Plug-In' (should be version 4.2.0.0) shows 'Always Activate' over on the far right.

With your device plugged in, go to this Garmin page >>> http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp.html

That should confirm whether or not your PC can see your device through the Plug-In.

When I chase that link in Firefox the Garmin site tells me I need to download the plugin, with Chrome and Internet Explorer it says Communicator is detected. I've just downloaded 1 cache using Chrome, it wouldn't do that last week.

If you continue to have trouble, you might try creating a bookmark of caches you want to do. You can then do a pq on your bookmark list. I think this would be faster than send to gps. You can also download the gpx file from the cache page to the gpx folder on your Garmin.

If you continue to have trouble, you might try creating a bookmark of caches you want to do. You can then do a pq on your bookmark list. I think this would be faster than send to gps. You can also download the gpx file from the cache page to the gpx folder on your Garmin.

Thanks for that advice, I didn't know I could make a PQ from a bookmark list. You can laugh but when I've done lists I've individually loaded the caches from the list! I did have the problem of my GPS not showing caches in the list even though they were clearly on the device, I think I've overcome that now but only time will tell. Thanks again.

@Sioux's

Just curious -- as a premium member, what are you doing that has you needing the communicator?

I use it often. When a new cache pops up, on the road and I need a couple of caches for an unexpected stop, visiting someone and have time for a couple of caches, and other purposes I can't recall right now. I find it very handy.

I do make good use of Bookmarks, PQs and GSAK but "send to my gps" has its place and I hope there is a fix for it.

As posted in another thread:

It is not necessary to use the Garmin plugin. Rather than using the "Send to My GPS" button, select the "GPX file" button. Then tell the browser to save the file in the [GPS]/Garmin/GPX/ folder. Quick and easy. I haven't used the plugin in 3 or 4 years.

As posted in another thread:

It is not necessary to use the Garmin plugin. Rather than using the "Send to My GPS" button, select the "GPX file" button. Then tell the browser to save the file in the [GPS]/Garmin/GPX/ folder. Quick and easy. I haven't used the plugin in 3 or 4 years.

thanks for this hint! it works!

How to do this for a 60 CSx? I find the GARMIN unit as an USB mass-storage (after changing it in settings) but cannot find the GPX file?? I did copy a GPX file in the garmin file but nothing appears...or are GPX files not suitable for the 60 CSx??

You need to drop it into the /Garmin/GPX directory (if I recall correctly.)

How to do this for a 60 CSx? I find the GARMIN unit as an USB mass-storage (after changing it in settings) but cannot find the GPX file?? I did copy a GPX file in the garmin file but nothing appears...or are GPX files not suitable for the 60 CSx??

Not sure how you got a 60CSx into mass storage mode for internal memory. Should never be possible. If there even IS a GPX folder in these older units, you'd never be able to find it.

ah, no.

Not sure how you got a 60CSx into mass storage mode for internal memory. Should never be possible. If there even IS a GPX folder in these older units, you'd never be able to find it.

(emphasis in original added by me)

Since Team Professor X saw the USB mass-storage device, I assumed it had a microSD card in it. ecanderson is correct in that the internal memory does not (in my experience anyway) present via USB mass storage on the 60CSx.

In that mass storage device, there should be a Garmin directory, and within that, a GPX directory. That's where you want to drop your GPX files.

(I don't have a microSD card handy to put into my 60CSx at the moment, so I can't walk through this right now....)