Geocaching Travel Essentails

Captain Goober

Hey guys, so I've been really into this and i appreciate the advice given on one of my previous posts. I have gotten in the habit of wearing open-ended gloves, and just recently i purchased a travel size first aid kit to be used for caching.

What type of bag is recommended? I plan on filling this thing with all sorts of survival gear anyway encase of emergencies or when traversing unknown terrain.

Some stuff i have thought of:

Waterbottle/Insulated coffee mug

First aid kit - have

Gloves - have

Ibprophen or other medication as i have severe arthritis and have to deal with pain flares while caching.

Travel size hand sanitizer

Tweezers

Pen

Phone Charger and extra keychain power brick

Protein bars or some sort of snack

Multi purpose flashlight

Extra Roll of TP or two.

Caffeine pills for an alertness boost.

Can anyone recommend a good bag for Geocaching? Looking for something that can be worn comfortably for a full day of caching. I'm eventually planning on getting climbing gear when i am ready to take on 5/5 level caches.

What might a good starting budget be for this stuff?

Edited by Captain Goober

Can anyone recommend a good bag for Geocaching? Looking for something that can be worn comfortably for a full day of caching. I'm eventually planning on getting climbing gear when i am ready to take on 5/5 level caches.

I'd recommend some type of backpack. A pack that fits you well can be worn all day with no problem. A hip belt on the pack will help keep weight off your shoulders. Make sure you try on the pack before you buy it. Packs fit everyone differently and what works for some people may not work for you. Try a couple of different brands of pack if you can. If you can put some weight in the pack and walk around for a bit, that will give you an idea of how it will feel with all your gear.

When you're ready to start climbing, please make sure you get some training. I've seen the results of a couple of climbing accidents. By all means, go out and have fun finding those difficult caches, but please be safe.

A lot of what you've listed is for hiking, not geocaching. Naturally, if you're hiking, you should take that stuff whether you're geocaching while you're hiking or not, but I mention it in order to point out that if you're just geocaching without any serious hiking involved, you might want to have a sub-bag that has just the geocaching stuff in it, so you can grab that without having to take the TP with you when you walk down the street to grab the neighborhood cache.

Me, I normally don't hike more than an hour or two, and I don't take it very seriously, so I never carry any of that hiking stuff except water, and not always that. My geocaching stuff is little enough that I just always carry it in my pockets so I don't have to grab anything except the GPSr when I go geocaching. What I always carry is 7" needle nose tweezers, a wire hook that collapses to 7", a pocket flashlight, a small pocket notepad (rite-as-rain since I sweat a lot), a pen, an extra pen, and another extra pen. I have a few other tools, but I don't bring them unless the description suggests I might need them.

pocket knife

The only reason I don't carry a pocket knife -- well, a pocket tool with a knife, more precisely -- is the fear that I'd forget I had it in my pocket when I went through the security line at the airport. But having made that decision a couple years ago, I don't really miss it for geocaching.

Prepare for caching like any other trip. If I am hiking all day, I will use my camelbak backpack and a hiking stick. If I am kayaking, I will make sure that I have water, appropriate clothing and shoes, snacks, and a dry packs for sensitive electronics. If I am planning to take pictures, I will think about what camera to bring. If biking, I will bring a water bottle, a mount for my gpsr, and a helmet. I'll pack differently for the desert than I will for the northwest, and differently for a 12 mile hike than a one mile hike.

A lightweight daypack (Rick Steve's) works well if I want to carry a few items; the camelbak works better in other situations, sometimes I don't need anything more than what is in my pocket. The only thing that I need for this game is my gpsr or phone (and a pen), but a camera is generally close at hand. Other than that it is just a matter of the logistics for wherever I am going.

I agree with advice given above, if you are working your way up to 5/5 caching and doing things you have not done before then be prepared, do not go beyond what your skills or common sense may dictate, and go with a friend. If you go into wilderness alone, a SPOT device may not be a bad idea.

Edited by geodarts