New icon for Challenge caches

rasg

Or, we could just stop deceiving ourselves that these caches aren't a completely different beast from Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown...
I don't think the issue is whether they're "completely different" from other caches in the mystery/puzzle "catch-all" type.

I think the issue is whether the mystery/puzzle type has served its role as a "staging ground for new and unique geocaches", and a particular subset of mystery/puzzle caches have matured enough to justify their own type. Given that challenge caches have their own guidelines, I think they are mature enough for their own type.

The argument of whether a Challenge Cache belongs in the "Unknown" or "Mystery" category is irrelevant.

The only issue is whether users should have the ability to use a filter to either select ONLY Challenge Caches, and conversely have the ability to FILTER OUT Challenge Caches.

Some people like Challenge Caches and some don't. My dissatisfaction is that, at present, I can't filter out Challenge Caches from my Puzzle Cache PQs and notifications.

I don't care whether you make a new cache type or provide some other mechanism for filtering-----I just want the ability to either filter Challenge Caches, and ONLY Challenge Caches, in or out of my PQs and notifications.

The argument of whether a Challenge Cache belongs in the "Unknown" or "Mystery" category is irrelevant.

The only issue is whether users should have the ability to use a filter to either select ONLY Challenge Caches, and conversely have the ability to FILTER OUT Challenge Caches.

How is it irrelevant? One of the ways to allow people to filter challenge caches in or out is to give them their own type.

Creating a challenge cache attribute would also work, and would be the preferred solution if challenge caches truly belong in the mystery/puzzle type. But if they no longer really fit in the mystery/puzzle type, then the preferred solution would be to give them their own type.

The argument you seem so quick to dismiss seems entirely relevant to me.

What if challenges weren't caches at all? For example instead of being associated with finding an extra container and gaining another smiley, if the website had a section for achievements that fulfils the same function as challenges.

Achievements could be awarded like souvenirs are, and could be collected by those that are into it or ignored by those that are not. And the community could suggest new achievements all the time. Thoughts?

And just who's going to put out these challenges and create the what ever it is to be collected and monitor cachers are meeting the challenges, sound like a lot of extra work, for what?

It seems to me that if a cache wasn't associated with every challenge, only one challenge for every challenge type would be required, and the anyone in the world that completes that challenge would obtain the achievement. Seems like a lot less work that hundreds of identical fizzy, or A-Z challenges that can only be claimed if you happen to live near one.

There are quite a few challenge for which I could qualifiy but because the challenge craze hasn't caught on I'd most likely have to travel a couple of hundred miles (both ways) to get "credit" for completing it, and for what? a +1 in my find count?

Sites like mygeocachingprofile and badgegen have been "putting out" these sort of digital awards for years and can keep track what achievements any cacher has qualified for just be accessing the users profile. Sure, determining that someone has qualified for "find N caches with the name of a fruit in the title, placed by geocachers whose name starts with a vowel" probably wouldn't become an "official" challenge but is that such a bad thing.

What if challenges weren't caches at all? For example instead of being associated with finding an extra container and gaining another smiley, if the website had a section for achievements that fulfils the same function as challenges.

Achievements could be awarded like souvenirs are, and could be collected by those that are into it or ignored by those that are not. And the community could suggest new achievements all the time. Thoughts?

Sounds fine to me. But then, I'm not a fan of the challenge cache (or any ALR for that matter.)

And just who's going to put out these challenges and create the what ever it is to be collected and monitor cachers are meeting the challenges, sound like a lot of extra work, for what?

Yes, it will be extra work. However, there is kind of a sub-category of challenge caches where people are taking the time and energy to do just that. Check out the List of GeoTours and geotrails with rewards in the GeoTours & Reward Geotrails forum. Some of the these are 'Official GeoTours', while others are just a local organization (or cacher) that is challenging people to log a certain set of caches for a reward of some kind.

For the most part, the only challenge caches I like are these physical reward type caches. In my area, quite a number of challenge caches are simply film pots, with an ALR. So far, all of the GeoTours I have done have taken me to interesting places. The caches are well maintained. Of course, GeoTours have a vested interest in keeping them well maintained, most are run by tourism groups. I have not done a reward geotrail yet, but I would assume that they would have similar goals, and put out interesting caches, and maintaining them.

Skye.

We need new type icon for challenge caches. We have many Challenge caches with mystery puzzle icon, how can I recognize challenge better?! NEW ICON!!!

Why don't you suggest that to Groundspeak?

That's what he/she did by posting it in this subforum.

As did other people, requesting/suggesting the same thing in the past.

B.

We need new type icon for challenge caches. We have many Challenge caches with mystery puzzle icon, how can I recognize challenge better?! NEW ICON!!!

Search for Mystery caches with "challenge" in their name. :unsure:

Hans

You'll get quite a few false positives that way. There are quite a few mystery caches with challenge in the title that are not "challenge caches".

Search for Mystery caches with "challenge" in their name. :unsure:

Hans

You'll get quite a few false positives that way. There are quite a few mystery caches with challenge in the title that are not "challenge caches".

Would you mind providing a few examples please.

There are quite a few mystery caches with challenge in the title that are not "challenge caches".
Off the top of my head...

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 1

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 4

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 9

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 16

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 33

There are quite a few mystery caches with challenge in the title that are not "challenge caches".
Off the top of my head...

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 1

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 4

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 9

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 16

Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 33

Just a few in my state from the first 30 or so results of a search for caches containing the word Challenge:

Sudoku Challenge

Sudoku Challenge (yes, that is a different cache)

Mathlete Challenge Final

McCarthey Challenge

Mom and Andys Cipher Challenge

A Silver fox Challenge Cache