hatfields cache reunion

jeepman74

I just received an email from Doug and he is very glad you are helping out with the cache. I did the same thing with the Hoosier Home cache he put out on the same trip as this cache. I just wish I could join you in the trip but I will not be near the area until the first weekend of October.

Have fun and I hope maybe I can do this cache on me return from my Georgia caching trip.

I kook forward to reading all the logs once you get it done.

Cache On!

Indy Diver

ingeo-button1.gif

Dead end! I went back today to check the once prosective "road". It ended halfway to the top at a gas well. Apparently what I saw on Terra Server were old log roads and a gas line. They may have been fresh in 96 when the airials were taken. So it looks like I'll be in the number hiking the hill. I read Doug's story. Tough time Doug. I may live closest to the cache, so I'll vounteer for the cache adoption unless one of the others want it. See you'ns sunday(first at the cememtary, then waiting for you on top)

When has a little rain ever stopped a geocacher!?! icon_smile.gif Think- SUNSHINE, BLUE SKIES!!!

Bring your ropes so you can hang onto trees, or your cleeted boots. And maybe a change of clothes in the car for after! Looks like I'll be there unless Island Creek overflows and we can't drive on 44.

Your call CP.

Slip Slidin' Away

If the mountian is as bad as everyone is saying it is, then a little rain, may make the climb impossible and more dangerous. If everyone goes and kills themselves trying the impossible, how will they ever get close to caching up with MikeDX?

I can't make it tomorrow anyway.

Good luck if you all still go for it. I'll place memorials for those who do not survive in my future cache finds. icon_smile.gif

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

Nice plan, WVDan--send all the top cachers in the state to Hatfield's in the rain, and have some 'plans' that won't let you be there. You'll be in first place in no time flat!

I'll be there--I don't know how far I'm going--if I eventually go home from Indianapolis! I know that cache is around here somewhere... The kids and I just found a couple different caches, but not the big one we're searching for... Fortunately, nobody else has logged FTF yet.

I want to know if Dan set bear traps out there to knock off the top cachers so he can get into first place...

I will be there, rain or shine. God knows I'm stupid enough to do it again, what difference does it make how much harder we can make it?

Tony, in all seriousness, I don't think that you would want to try this one. I have my doubts on Eli, but she may out stubborn me and surprise us all...

I'm sure mikedx has his doubts about whether I'm able to tackle the mountain too.. icon_rolleyes.gif..so do I!!..I'm calling him this morning to make the final decision as to go or no go....If Eli's going to try it, I will too!! icon_razz.gif

Eli? You going to be on time???? icon_wink.gif

"Joy in looking and comprehending

is nature's most beautiful gift."

-Albert Einstein

At 3pm in Logan the Forecast is as follows.

Condition ---- Showers

Temp ---- 79 F

Feels like ---- 83 F

Humidity ---- 74 %

Chance of precip. ---- 40 %

Winds ---- From S. @ 2mph

Dew pt. ---- 70 F

The good news is chance of heat stroke is low.

The bad news is footing will be terrible.

Wear good boots GW. No backing out now!

Just for the record, I have an aliby and witnesses as to my were abouts. icon_smile.gif

If any bear traps are found, it wasn't me, but I'd appreacieat it if you would return them to me asap. Bear season is just around the corner. icon_wink.gif

If you get lost while geocaching, don't worry. Someone else will get lost while geocaching and find you. icon_wink.gif

It has been climbed. Despite the weather, bugs, and briars, 7 of us made the climb. To every one who made the climb, good job and I enjoyed your company. To those who backed out, (couldn't make it) we missed you company. You'll have a chance to experience the pain. There is now a new cache on the mountain for anyone who thinks they have what it takes. It should be available within a few days.

[This message was edited by jeepman74 on September 01, 2003 at 07:14 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

I have my doubts on Eli, but she may out stubborn me and surprise us all...

icon_biggrin.gifAnd I lived to tell about it too!!! 'Some' people that got to the top of the mountain before I did were trying to make bets as to whether I would make it to the top! icon_razz.gif Well here is a sure bet for you...I WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!!! That one was the worst. May be a walk in the park for you young'uns that are thin and in fairly good physical shape, but like I told CP when we got back to the cemetery and he said I looked whooped, I told him I was whooped and whooped again. On the insane side I enjoyed going with you all. By myself, I prolly would have turned back when I tried climbing those first rocks on the mountain. And then there was this voice at the top that kept commanding me to 'HURRY UP'. So I HAD to keep going to find out who that taunting voice belonged to icon_razz.gif .

Thanks you guys(I think)for letting me tag along. I'll cherish the memory forever(or at least until my body stops complaining about the aches and pains of abuse).

Eli

quote:
Originally posted by mikedx:

Nutz? Me?

I have to agree with Catman. Anyone who has already done this is insane to do it again. I swore coming down that mountain that I'd never do it again. ...

This time I mean it!

Was good to see everyone again. I find myself a bit weak from insect bites and blood loss. Industrial strength mosquitoes in Logan Co. They use deet as a chaser.

The cache(s) are there ...

WVDan -- if you plan to catch MDX you will have to go. Good alibi though. Bear Traps 0 geocachers 7.

Stay tuned for further details.

--CP

Originally posted by jeepman74:

this was really intended for the best geocachers in the state. QUOTE]

I don't consider myself as one of 'the best geocachers' but I appreciate the compliment. Or is that just a dig in the ribs to try and get some other cachers to go temporarily insane and climb that devilish mountain? Hmmmmmm!?! icon_wink.gif

Eli

I was fortunate to be one of the magnificent seven that completed the climb yesterday. I really don't consider this as being one of the worst cache adventures yet, but one of the BEST. Had it not been for the great group I went with I probably wouldn't have made it. Definately one for the books!! icon_smile.gif

-Albert Einstein

It sounds like you had a good time and I really wish I could have made it. I still look forward to trying the cache omn my return from GA and Springer Mountain the first week on Oct.

Good job folks and thanks for all your efforts. I just hope every one wakes up today with out too much pain.

Cache On!

Indy DIver

ingeo-button1.gif

[This message was edited by Indy Diver on September 01, 2003 at 10:16 AM.]

[This message was edited by Indy Diver on September 01, 2003 at 10:17 AM.]

Indy,

I woke up this morning with a lot of pain. Puter, I'm sure Jeepman was just teasing everybody else that didn't share our pain. You have my respect for climbing up that mountain at all. Now if you want to show you are crazy, you can do it again when the new cache is posted.

Hat's off to GeoWhiz and Eli. I knew Geo could do it, but Eli really surprised me. She did out stubborn me.

I have some good pictures whenever the new cache is posted. Especially of tater finally getting to the top.

Glad to see that 5 out of the 6 finders came back to reunite for this cache.

Lets do it again....never.

Mike

I'm glad to hear everyone made it off the mountain. It was getting dark when we pulled out. Coming down is almost as tough as the climb. Some of the rock would be bad a night.

Sorry to hear you are offended Puter, you made the climb once, I'm sure you could have done it again if your schedule had allowed.

My comments were a pat on the back for those who made it and an open challenge for those who will follow. You'll notice soon that there are now two caches on the hill (twice the reason to climb).

Well, My legs are just now starting to cramp. I did walk about 2 miles following a parade today though. I wanted to let everyone know that I had a ball. It was nice to see other ppl struggle like I do when I go with Jeepman. Couldnt have asked for a finer group of ppl to perpetrate such a noble cause. There is a mighty fine cache on that mountain now. And the original site has something too. Hope the 2 that took books off the mountain enjoy them, and I hope the one thats in there gets some reading. Ill be posting pictures when I get time to.

Thanks for the great day all

James.

JeepMan,

No harm, no foul icon_biggrin.gif - probably a little jealous that I couldnt make the trek with everyone. Looking at the pictures, looks like everyone was hot, tired and VERY HAPPY & SATISFIED for making the trip. Kudos to the "Magnificant Seven" to endure to the top of the mountain.

MikeDX,

I guess I will have to be CRAZY enough again to tackle the mountain as there are two new caches that are in need of finding and signing of the logs!

Now for the two-dollar question: Is this going to become an annual "event" to ascend to the top of Hatfield Mountain?

-- Puter --

You'll notice I have taken back my scathing remarks. I was euphoric from the event when I make my remarks. There is a feeling of pride when you get home knowing you made it back to brag about the climb. Now my buzz has worn off and my leg are starting to ache.

Though I will certainly get funny looks, I won't rule out a future return. It seems, when you volunteer to adopt 'Hatfields View', an arguement is hard to find.

Puter, best wishes. I hope the cache thief doesn't come back before you do.

quote:

WVDan -- if you plan to catch MDX you will have to go. Good alibi though. Bear Traps 0 geocachers 7.

Stay tuned for further details.

--CP

CP, I plan to catch MDX. I also plan to do this cache some day. Sunday I had an opportunity to spend some time with a very special lady and took it. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Indy Diver:

... I still look forward to trying the cache omn my return from GA and Springer Mountain the first week on Oct.

Good job folks and thanks for all your efforts. I just hope every one wakes up today with out too much pain.

Cache On!

Indy DIver

Hey Indy Diver, if I'm free whant to team up to get this cache?

I got an email from Mikedx, wanted to know what I wanted to do about the the old cache. "Hatfield's View" [#4722] was archived when it was clear that something must have happened to the cache. "Hatfield's View" will remain archived.

To the folks who placed a cache there abouts: feel free to list your cache as a new cache. I just ask one favor, please referance the Hatfield Stash page on my site - the link could be provided as a "hint" for those who want to do the research.

Sound Reasonable?

- Doug Adomatis

Travel by GPS

Hey Doug, Jeepman74 is to be the new owner of the cache on that mountain, so he'll be making the new web page. He and his brother, Catman76 are young'uns so should be able to check on it when needed. icon_smile.gif I like that you told your tale of when you placed it and also put it on you site for others to read.

Two days later and my legs are still in PAIN. No briar wounds though! Now I want to know...when are you coming back to WV? And are you going to hunt this one? icon_biggrin.gif

Eli

Great pictures mikedx. I'm looking forward to seeing everyones pics when the site is posted. Thanks for the loan of the book Catman. I'll forward it on to mikedx after reading it.

Again, my utmost admiration for the five fellows that returned to this mountain. Us two gals weren't too shabby, huh Eli? Maybe this 53 year-old gal will take it on again sometime.....shoot, where's that hammer??? icon_eek.gif

-Albert Einstein

quote:
Originally posted by EliJoMikMiNi:

Two days later and my legs are still in PAIN. No briar wounds though!

Eli, you were smart enough to wear long pants on this find.

Hats off to all of you for a great expedition! Eli & GeoWhiz, I can't begin to compete with those I consider to be the best women cachers in the state. (Queenfish - you're the Queen and right up there with them!)

I'm glad to see the Devil's Backyard is now posted. After seeing Mikedx afterwards, and the pictures of the rest of you, I know it is a challenge that I'll never attempt icon_wink.gif.

MeeMaw

To any that went along that wants a full resolution copy of the photos I took. Please email me at catman76@direcway.com. Just tell me who you are and what you want. Full resolution is a 1.5mb photo. I can resize to fill any purpose that may come about. 1600x 1200 is as big as most use, thats around a 200kb file. I posted some pictures on the devils backyard cache page to see.

Hey Indy Diver, if I'm free whant to team up to get this cache?

I will let you know when it gets closer to the vacation and maybe we can arrange this. I have 2 or more other people that I will be traveling with so it kind of falls with them to decide to make a side trip to WV for this cache.

Cache On!

Indy Diver

ingeo-button1.gif

It doesn't look good. TMP sent me a picture and it sure looks like the right tree. The hollow area is empty. If any of you have a good picture of the hiding spot, I'd like to see it. :) It seems someone in the area is enjoying our game at our expense. Maybe they can't read the writing in the box and thought it was their lucky day. I'll go back to the top if need be. If it ain't there, the replacement won't go back on that knob. Maybe one of the briar thickets over the hill. Only one of us with a gps, a set of coords, and a loose screw would go in there.