The concept behind uncategorized waymarks

GeoLog81

What is the concept behind uncategorized waymarks?

I've categorized one for try and it seems I've 'stolen' it from the poster.

What are the premises for posting uncategorized waymark? What can happen with such waymark? Will they be 'hanging' forever if nobody attempts to categorize them?

Are they ment as placeholders for the categories that are about to come? (So, should I post them as examples for the new category)?

Do they appear in search and GPX?

When you categorize an uncategorized waymark, then it is yours. But the original uncategorized waymarks stays there and can be categorized again by anyone, unless the original poster categorizes it. So you only created a clone and did not steal anything.

"What is the concept behind uncategorized waymarks?" I don't really know. I guess, this was not completely worked out before it was implemented.

These waymarks do not appear in any search and cannot be visited.

Edited by fi67

So by 'categorizing' the waymarks, I don't remove them from the 'uncategorized' list?

So that list may eventually become one big garbage heap nobody is able to clean?

Not "may", it already has.

+1

I remember looking at it a couple of times and thinking: Oh my gorshk!

Don't know if anyone really spends much time looking through those. I have two that are deliberately uncategorized, but I use them in place of the missing Bookmark List feature that GC has but WM does not. I may make more along the way.

But I didn't know that about them only being cloned. Never having tried any of them, I also thought that it just pulled it out of the uncategorized list. Fascinating.

Some waymarkers have developed a workflow to profit from this feature when they plan to crosspost a waymark. You need a second login, with this you create the core waymark with the common fields: title, coordinates, description and upload the pictures. Then you log in with your principal account, categorize, fill in the specific variables and submit; as many times as you wish. Then you log in again as your alter ego and delete the uncategorized boiler plate. So you can clone a location to a number of categories.

Others have created uncategorized waymarks while travelling abroad for their Waymarking friends back home to give them a chance to get some rare foreign icons.

So, there can be some creative use of this feature, but it was not planned this way, you could consider that hacks.

Wow! I never thought of that. (Of course I only just learned about the clone feature.)

I've always had to have multiple Waymarks open at the same time and keep copying/pasting between them for cross-posting. This would speed things up.

Except one (of many) Waymarking bugs, and my own odd insistence on one point. I never use the exact same coordinates for cross-posted Waymarks. It's a matter of courtesy to folks trying to see what is available to visit in the area.

But if you change a coordinate too many times (which I would want to do for the different clones), then the Waymarking pages go nuts and start adding digits onto the end of your coordinates. And once it has done that, there is another bug that can cause the Waymark to no longer be visible. The web page throws an error instead of bringing up the Waymark. (I'm aware of several of those from Waymarks in my area that were posted before I was into Waymarking.)

(I've had to delete some Waymarks that I started and then changed the coordinates like twice, because I could never get them back to what they should be; and I didn't want to end up with unusable Waymarks.)

I'll have to try it, though, if I decide to get a second account. I suppose if you just leave the coordinates as all zeroes, then change them to their unique values one time as you bring the clone into a given category, then hopefully it won't screw up the coordinates. I think one change to the coordinate doesn't usually mess 'em up. It's when you change them more than once.

Good suggestions.

I used to use it to when I knew I was going top create multiple waymarks for the same location. At that time photo uploading was not working well and was quite slow and often failed thus by cloning an uncategorized waymark I would have to upload the photo only once. Now that the major problems with photo uploads have been addressed I don't use uncategorized waymarks for anything now.

In the Woodmen of the World category, we have a limit of four Woodmen monuments per cemetery. In my case, I put a fifth one for a particular cemetery in the uncategorized waymarks, doing all the footwork but leaving a loose end that I hoped someone would tie up and then submit. It would be one of those "It's Shake and Bake and _I_ helped" kinds of deals, but thus far, only one person has attempted to submit the thing, unfortunately without paying attention as to what was going on and not providing the necessary information. I'd leave more of these around if people would take advantage of them and have fun doing it, instead of some guy trying to pad his "Visited" numbers.

In the Woodmen of the World category, we have a limit of four Woodmen monuments per cemetery. In my case, I put a fifth one for a particular cemetery in the uncategorized waymarks, doing all the footwork but leaving a loose end that I hoped someone would tie up and then submit. It would be one of those "It's Shake and Bake and _I_ helped" kinds of deals, but thus far, only one person has attempted to submit the thing, unfortunately without paying attention as to what was going on and not providing the necessary information. I'd leave more of these around if people would take advantage of them and have fun doing it, instead of some guy trying to pad his "Visited" numbers.

I have just had an uncategorized waymark declined in the Woodman of the World category that I created. I dropped it into Uncategorized because that category has a strict limit of 4 waymarks per waymarker per cemetery. I figured someone could pick it up, categorize it, and get it posted. It's a gorgeous WoW tombstone that I thought would make a great addition to the category.

WRONG-O!

Here are the vote comments for the waymark, which was declined 3-2:

Your waymark, SGT. Finis E. Walker -- Oakwood Cemetery, Cisco TX, has been denied for the following reason:

Your waymark was voted on by the category managers, here are comments made about your waymark by them: Initial vote call comment:I think a few of us have had this conversation offline: Do we want to get into the habit of bypassing the limit of four by allowing additional Woodmen to be posted in the Uncategorized Waymarks and then "completed" by someone else? This is one example, and for my part, I have one out there, too, waiting for someone to visit and provide the additional photos (and completed write-up). Vote comments: [yea] Yes! I've always hated the four limit rule and if there's a way to bypass it, I'm all for it. [nay] These aren't shared waymarks. Either you were there and took the photo and got the info or you weren't. [yea] I agree. [nay] I thought that these were going to be denied. I thought this was settled. [abstain] Abstaining...I do think the right mechanism for this is for someone to provide part of the Woodmen submission and someone else to provide the rest. Post the emblem, let the other person get the other photos, that kind of thing. [nay] No need to lower standards.

So my question is, with regard to Uncategorized waymarks - (1) how much MORE is requiredto add to Uncats if they meet the category requirements as stated already and (2) why aren't these shared waymarks? I thought once an Uncat was picked up and categorized it was removed from the uncat holding bin.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz

So my question is, with regard to Uncategorized waymarks - (1) how much MORE is requiredto add to Uncats if they meet the category requirements as stated already and (2) why aren't these shared waymarks? I thought once an Uncat was picked up and categorized it was removed from the uncat holding bin.

(1) this looks very category specific to me, I haven't heard of any other category handling assisted waymarks different to standard ones.

(2)What is a shared waymark? This is no official term, there is no clear definition for it. An uncategorized waymark will sit there as long as the *Original* poster categorizes or deletes it. Anyone else categorizing one will create a clone with a new WM number and leave the old one untouched; you can create an unlimited number of new waymarks from a single uncat.

(1) this looks very category specific to me, I haven't heard of any other category handling assisted waymarks different to standard ones.

(2)What is a shared waymark? This is no official term, there is no clear definition for it. An uncategorized waymark will sit there as long as the *Original* poster categorizes or deletes it. Anyone else categorizing one will create a clone with a new WM number and leave the old one untouched; you can create an unlimited number of new waymarks from a single uncat.

Thanks -- looks like I need to look up Assisted waymarks -- :)