Category Proposal : Delicatessens

You mean, to waymark all that groceries that belong to the networks known from overly high prices (as compared to discounts), but not necessarily better quality?

Or you want to create a category for independent groceries and local shop networks?

Actually, i was thinking more in terms of eating establishments, those that prepare food for on premises eating and take away. It would be an addition to the other restaurant categories.

So it would be for independent fast food shops?

There's already category for Independent Hot Dog Restaurants but there's no for Kebabs, quasi-national dish of Germany, and there are more of them. Fried chickens, chinese noodles, sausages etc.

In fact, this category would be heavily weighted towards the North American concept of a Delicatessen. Fast food? I guess, but this usually conotates cheap food and doesn't really capture the "specialness" of a delicatessen. Many delicatessens are Jewish owned. Maybe the word "Deli" would make a better title and avoid confusion with the Epicéries and Feinkost of Europe.

I can't remember if it was in these forums or elsewhere, but I remember hearing a little while back that the terms "delicatessen" and "deli" refer to different things around the world. I believe there was even a difference within some regions between the meanings of the full word and the shortened version. You'll want to make it crystal-clear what you intend to accept into this category.

I can't remember if it was in these forums or elsewhere, but I remember hearing a little while back that the terms "delicatessen" and "deli" refer to different things around the world. I believe there was even a difference within some regions between the meanings of the full word and the shortened version. You'll want to make it crystal-clear what you intend to accept into this category.

I'm thinking now of turning this into any sandwich shop which does not serve burgers. This would include the Döner, Schwarma, Gyros stands as well as Falafel stands.

Sorry to say RakeInTheCache but I personaly don't like it.

Commercial places I only post or visit, once or twice, for a icon in the category grid.

And the comments on the WM Forum are the last time for commercial WM that they were only accepted in the early days of WM.

And today it's a sandwich shop an then it's empty for months an then it's a flower shop because they nothing more can earn.

For example, Lidl & Mediamarkt (many, many, many, many stores in Europe) and many other commercial Categories won't be accepted on WM anymore but these stores are there for ever, year after year, on the location where they are started.

Grtz John

Oops, looks like I never posted my last reply. I was saying, personally, I don't mind the commercial categories. I think Lidl or Mediamarkt should be able to be a category. The site allows anyone to block a category they don't like so they will never see it.

But anyway, I don't think I'll be continuing with this category anyway because I discovered that the BBQ category is also for classic sandwich placed and I think all of my above examples could be waymarked under that category.

I like the idea of delicatessens but only as Independent Delicatessens. The commercial chain type of delis do not appeal to me. I feel it's still a viable category for those smaller, mom and pop type delis that I come across in my travels and many have been in business for many decades as family-run establishments.