Release Notes (Message Center) - April 14, 2015

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes

Week two of Message Center beta! Based on your feedback, we’ve been busy bashing bugs and tweaking features. As part of the beta process, we’ll also be testing web notifications in the header widget. A few things to note about this test:

•  

• Widget notifications will not be live. They will update when you refresh your browser or move to another page.
  • There may be inconsistencies between widget notifications and the total number of messages in your Message Center. We’re working on this!
  • Widget notifications may not work for IE9 some other older browsers.

Remember, this is a beta product (meaning it’s a work in progress!) and we want to hear from you. If you haven’t already, please take this survey.

In other news, the default avatar image across the website will be changing. Here’s what it looks like:

99bb0f51-63af-4f46-af49-c901c7a85532.jpg

I haven't yet had a chance to look on the netbook, but I still can't use it with the Android tablet - still getting a communication error.

It worked fine for me on my Chromebook and my phone (Android 4.4.4).

I wonder how many people will complain that the old avatar is better and that they want it back...

Read previous Release Notes

Release Notes

Week two of Message Center beta! Based on your feedback, we’ve been busy bashing bugs and tweaking features. As part of the beta process, we’ll also be testing web notifications in the header widget.

In other news, the default avatar image across the website will be changing. Here’s what it looks like:

99bb0f51-63af-4f46-af49-c901c7a85532.jpg

Can you give us more information about what has changed? Is it just the widget and avatar, or have there been other changes? The first paragraph implies that there have been multiple changes, but I can't see any besides those two.

One thing I noticed, now that I have some conversations in the Message Center, is the size of the avatars. In our Account Settings, the avatars are forced to be 48x48 pixels. However, in the Message Center the avatars are blown up to 68x68 (~141% of the original) and then the corners chopped off, which leads to significant pixelation and very poor results. If our avatars are restricted to 48x48, then that's the size they should be displayed in the Message Center. If you want to use larger avatars in the Message Center (and potentially elsewhere), then let us upload larger avatars to prevent pixelation. There shouldn't be any automatic resizing.

Also, as has been discussed in a number of related discussions in the forums, the best way to improve the usability of the new system is by including the content of messages in the notification emails. Has this been considered or is this currently in progress? Keep in mind that without that change, it seems unlikely that you'll get very much buy-in from members, at least based on the feedback given in the forums.

Just FYI in case anyone else has the same problem. I was not receiving notifications for any items on my watchlist. Checked my filters etc & noticed that Gmail was sending all cache notifications to my Spam Folder. Must be the new way that notifications are going out. I tweaked my filters (checked the box that says "never send to Spam) so hopefully the problem is fixed. Gmail isn't the greatest for controlling Spam.

I wonder how many people will complain that the old avatar is better and that they want it back...

I kinda like the new default avatar. It's an improvement, the old one always seemed a little... unpolished.

Unfortunately, that does seem to be about the only positive thing I can say about the last few site changes... :unsure:

I'm still getting unreplyable, content-free notifications of messages in the message centre. Please, please, fix this.

I kinda like the new default avatar. It's an improvement, the old one always seemed a little... unpolished.

I was just making fun of the fact that there is always someone griping about change.

Don't forget to mod the new default avatar with a sad face for your avatar :)

I probably won't use it because texting is faster then when I tried to use this. And not getting a message notification in time would sometimes be important if you are waiting for a hint on a cache.

meant to say and email.

Edited by jellis