Travel Bug, Mine and Your's

acachebox

As any thought ever been given to separating the way TB show up in one's inventory? I would like to see my retained TBs, ie those on my cars and my milestone coins, listed separately from the TB I have retrieved from a cache and intend to move on. This would be less confusing when looking for what I have to place in a cache.

Your trackables inventory says who owns what.

- If it doesn't have your name as owner, it needs to move on.

I guess I don't understand how one could be confused by that. :)

There is no distinction of ownership listed on the TB that show on my home page.

1,000 finds Royal Flush 1,000 finds Royal Flush

Jingle Bell Bug Jingle Bell Bug

R Shack R Shack

Soaring Eagle Geocoin Soaring Eagle Geocoin

TDI TDI

Travler Puzzle Bug Travler Puzzle Bug

A copy from the page. 2 are TBs that I will move on and 4 are TBs that are either my milestone coins or TBs on my car. They may be seperated on some other pages but this is the page I work off while caching.

Edited by acachebox

I've always seen it as the same list that you have to scroll through just before submitting a log entry.

- So now I have no idea what you're referring. :)

Well in the list above can you see which TBs are mine by the name next to them, because I can't. As I originally mentioned it would be nice to have them listed separately.

Later I may ask why the names of some TBs are printed twice. Thought that may have been the owners name you were referring to but that does not hold true either. Jingle Bells is not one of my TBs. The others liste twice are

Edited by acachebox

There seams to be some confusion as to what I am asking here. Let me offer the following definition and hopefully we can work from there.

My Home Page, and this is just my definition of the term for use here, is http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx It is on this page that the list of TBs called "Your Inventory" appears and is the list I would like to know if it can be separated and only display those TBs that are available to be placed

There is a page http://www.geocaching.com/profile with the title "Trackables for User: acachebox" and yes that page does list as a group My Trackables. That list is useless in determining anything as it does not identify the TBs but rather just gives a number of TBs by group type.

Back to the list on My Home Page. That list called "Your Inventory" is the list I am questioning. While in the field that is the list I look at to determine what TBs I may have available to place in a cache. The fact that my personnel TBs are intermingled with those TBs I may place is confusing and does not serve any useful purpose that I can determine. It would be useful if just those TBs that I may place were listed there.

At this point in time I only have a few TBs, however those that have a larger collection of achievement coins may have the same question.

Not to confuse things even more but it would be nice to have the date I grabbed a given TB appear next to it. This would prompt one to move TB in a more timely manor. In general the Geo software is among the best i have ever seen, tracking all manor of things in real time. This seams a somple question to whoever devised the original software.

Edited by acachebox

I followed the link for your "Home Page". This takes me to my Profile, when you click it, it will take you to your Profile. I will assume that this is what you mean by your "Home Page".

At the top of your "Home Page", there are a number of links for trackables. For the trackables in your possession, there are two links that matter. The 'Trackables Inventory' and 'Trackables Collection'. The Trackables Inventory will show you trackables that you have in your possession that you want to move to caches. The Trackables Collection is a list of the trackables that you want to keep (such as achievement trackables, and trackables on your car, etc.), and not move to a cache.

For me, my achievement caches are in my 'Trackables Collection'. This gets them out of the list of trackables I can drop when logging a cache. To move a trackable from your Trackables Inventory into your Trackables Collection, you first need to make the trackable 'collectible'. You can do this by editing the trackable on the trackable page. Once that is done, there will be a link (under the action column) on the Trackables Inventory page to move the trackable to your collection. See this trackable help page.

Hope this helps, Skye.

I followed the link for your "Home Page". This takes me to my Profile, when you click it, it will take you to your Profile. I will assume that this is what you mean by your "Home Page".

At the top of your "Home Page", there are a number of links for trackables. For the trackables in your possession, there are two links that matter. The 'Trackables Inventory' and 'Trackables Collection'. The Trackables Inventory will show you trackables that you have in your possession that you want to move to caches. The Trackables Collection is a list of the trackables that you want to keep (such as achievement trackables, and trackables on your car, etc.), and not move to a cache.

For me, my achievement caches are in my 'Trackables Collection'. This gets them out of the list of trackables I can drop when logging a cache. To move a trackable from your Trackables Inventory into your Trackables Collection, you first need to make the trackable 'collectible'. You can do this by editing the trackable on the trackable page. Once that is done, there will be a link (under the action column) on the Trackables Inventory page to move the trackable to your collection. See this trackable help page.

Hope this helps, Skye.

Thank You that worked

acachebox

Am I missing something here?

OK I have separated the 2 types of TBs into 'Trackables Inventory' and 'Trackables Collection'. I thought that was my original request but now find solves nothing. Yes they are separated but now I can't log mileage on those TBs that are in the "Collection" and attached to my vehicles.

Am I stuck with the confusion that comes with both types of TBs being listed in "my Inventory" or is there a way to maintain separation and be able to show when a given Collection TB has "visited" a cache?

is there a way to maintain separation and be able to show when a given Collection TB has "visited" a cache?

You mentioned a problem with Car TBs. If the car TB is not in the cache list, what method will you use to log a "Visit"? How would you log "mileage" if the TB is not in that list when you make a cache log?

The "Visit" feature is the same as both "Dropping" the TB into a cache and then "Retrieving" it, just combined into one selection for your convenience. You can Drop a TB into a cache if it's in your Inventory, that is, if it's not in a "Collection". If instead you place your car TB (for example) into your Collection, the only options are Discover and Note. That's because the TBs in a "Collection" are not in play -- aren't intended to be placed into caches (including "Visits").

What you're asking is not available as a feature. It might be great as a suggestion on the Website Forum. I guess you'd call it "Hide From View", an option to be selectable by the TB Owner. Such a feature could cause a whole new order of problems, so... discuss. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

We pick up other peoples TB's. When we retrieve them they drop into our inventory. However we also have a few of our own TB's snd also some coins we have purchased snd activated and also a couple we use for mileage. This initailly all appear in inventory. We wanted to -

1. Use a couple to record our milleage.

2. Keep other peoples TBs/coins separate.

3. Place our coins and TB's elsehwhere so we could enjoy them and have them discovered at events.

So you have a couple of options to achieve this.

One is to place all TB's and Coins of your own in your collection. The idea being you enjoy them and take them to events to be discovered by others or not. Whatever. But when you log a geocache you have a list of Tbs and coins that are in your inventory. You are able to visit all or drop off whicver ones you did drop off in that geocache. You choose what you want to do at each log. The option is there. If you do not want to visit coins/tb's at each cache do nothing. If you do, select visit all. Then submit log. Snd it will dip or visit that tb/coin in each cache you choose to do.

Tb/coins that are in your collection will not be there to do this to.

So to visit your car tb at each cache for milleage it will need to be in your inventory. Along with everyones tb/coin that you have retrieved. So yes it will be mixed. But you can click visit all. And if you dropped off someones TB at a particular cache, select visit all, then scroll through snd find that tb/coin snd change that ones to say dropped. And you're done.

You can place stuff in your collection but we when we started coukdnt quite get to grips with it. So we created a geocache in the middle of nowhere. But didnt send it for publishing. Wrote a visit log for tye cache and selected write note and when we did we selected drop all. Snd each time we get a few new couns we do the same. The cache was never published. But one day soemone wanted the spot it was on so the reveiwer removed the cache. We came home one dsy to see wnd email saying it had been removed. I thought oh god what about the coins. But it still exists as an archived item. I can still use it as we hwve since we started.

Had we known about this forum then and been able to understand what a collection was we would have done it that way but its fine as is. And a few others also do this as well.

So anyway - log a cache - scroll to bottom - visit all - scroll back through and alter any you dropped off - submit log. Good luck.

Everyone seams to have a grasp on what CAN BE DONE under the current software. No one has understood the reasoning behind my original question.

"Visiting All" and then backing out some TBs, those attached to a car I am not driving that day, is more work. I was looking for a means to reduce work and confusion.

The answer is simple if the software was changed to separate my collectables TBs within the My Inventory List. This would make a simple and effect why to manage all TBs without the confusion of having them intermingled in one alphabetical list. Oh yes the "visit all" function would have to be able to be applied to either of the separated lists, not that I could see a reason to ever want to visit all my cars at a given cache when some are not with me.

Everyone seams to have a grasp on what CAN BE DONE under the current software. No one has understood the reasoning behind my original question.

I don't understand the reasoning behind lots of questions around here. I'll still often attempt to puzzle out how to accomplish what any given Topic asks. It would almost always be better for me to suggest a whole new plan rather than what a given question asks, but no idea may be flawless.

If you have an idea for how to hide or lock some listed TBs as you like, without making things even more complicated, go ahead and suggest a Feature in the appropriate Forum. Maybe in your case, instead of a "Visit All" button, suggest a "Visit All Except" button. Do you log by smartphone? I've often thought a separate App just for Trackables would be good, perhaps somehow connected to the Official Geocaching App, but helping to manage Trackables. If you tell the App that you're in "Car X" different TBs may be logged than if you're in "Car Y", for example. For most people who have just one car TB, that could be very much overkill. But it could be an option.

If "Visit All" never seems to apply, I'd suggest just choosing one or two from the list that would be appropriate at the current cache, so there's not a lot of list management all the time. Yeah, there I go again. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

There is a sime solution to your problem - never retrieve a TB belonging to someone else.

We did understand what you were suggesting or rather asking. But the simple answer as kunarion explained, doesn't exist I'm afraid.

Your options are thus:

Never pick up a TB and therefore all visits will be your car(s) but of course you won't use them all in which case visit all deselect the one you aren't for each log.

Move the car you aren't using into your collection at the same time you do a pocket query because your messing about anyway and it only adds a few clicks. For that days caching. Or do it before you begin logging.

Reasign one car one to your hat or dog or whatever.

Or as has been suggested ask for a modification to be made. But as a system already exists all be it slightly fiddlier than your suggestion I doubt it will happen.

If you are an app/smartphone user well pfffffff Then good luck lol. I dunno if they permit multy TB visits yet but it's a nightmare else.

Good luck though with your inventory partition idea.

But the simple answer as kunarion explained, doesn't exist I'm afraid.

And why couldn't this have been said in the first few posts? It was painful to read through this topic knowing that it was all going to boil down to this simple answer.

"Visiting All" and then backing out some TBs, those attached to a car I am not driving that day, is more work. I was looking for a means to reduce work and confusion.

And not only that but by "visiting all" you add a junk visit log to all the trackables you are holding. If you do this at every cache you find you add a bunch of junk logs. Too many junk visit logs and it is no longer fun to read the history of a trackable which is something I USED to like doing.

And why couldn't this have been said in the first few posts? It was painful to read through this topic knowing that it was all going to boil down to this simple answer.

That was rude. Well the simple answer is because we aren't you apparently. Sorry for your pain.

And not only that but by "visiting all" you add a junk visit log to all the trackables you are holding. If you do this at every cache you find you add a bunch of junk logs. Too many junk visit logs and it is no longer fun to read the history of a trackable which is something I USED to like doing.

And that sweeping statement does not the entire caching community make. I like an accurate stage by stage visit of my TB's because as TB drops are straight line points, a stage by stage visit helps with more accurate mileage. But then it's not all about us is it :)

That was rude. Well the simple answer is because we aren't you apparently. Sorry for your pain.

I'm sorry that it sounded rude. I intended it to be an attention getter but not to that degree.

The OP asked a fairly simple question:

"I would like to see my retained TBs, ie those on my cars and my milestone coins, listed separately from the TB I have retrieved from a cache and intend to move on. This would be less confusing when looking for what I have to place in a cache."

I was feeling the OP's frustration...

"Everyone seams to have a grasp on what CAN BE DONE under the current software. No one has understood the reasoning behind my original question."

...at reading several comments dancing along parallel courses but not giving the OP the simple answer they needed. Collections were never what they wanted nor did they need to be told their choices about how to handle travel bugs.

No doubt, though, OP is now more of an expert on Collectables than most people are. B)

And that sweeping statement does not the entire caching community make. I like an accurate stage by stage visit of my TB's because as TB drops are straight line points, a stage by stage visit helps with more accurate mileage. But then it's not all about us is it :)

Except that in this case "visiting" was suggested as a mechanical means of solving a separate problem with NO consideration given to the consequences to the travel bug page.

This suggestion would make the visit log a total throwaway action. If the OP was going to consider that option then it doesn't hurt for them to hear another opinion.

But... you are right, I got a bit carried away with this one too in my attempt to make sure I was heard. (I must have been in a right sour mood last night. :( )

I guess my original question should have been "How to contact the web site manager", since my question would require a change to the software and not just suggestions on how to get around it. In the past I had posted other questions on managing TBs from my I phone. Those question could be and were answered here because the functions necessary were already in the software, just not as accessible as on my computer.

So is there a way to contact the web manager?

Edited by acachebox

Except that in this case "visiting" was suggested as a mechanical means of solving a separate problem with NO consideration given to the consequences to the travel bug page.

This suggestion would make the visit log a total throwaway action. If the OP was going to consider that option then it doesn't hurt for them to hear another opinion.

But... you are right, I got a bit carried away with this one too in my attempt to make sure I was heard. (I must have been in a right sour mood last night. :( )

No I doubt you were in a sour mood. Just trying to help the OP. So we were in fairness by explaining too deeply lol.

As for the web admin it's not done that way. I guess you could try but usualky requests for changes are made in the suggestions section of the site. I would imagine you have found that bit by now but in case you haven't -

Website bugs/reports/feature discussions. - http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=139

But I will warn you now you may have to explain every nook and crannie of it and you may get jumped on so keep it calm lol. Is start with TB inventory partition request. And explain from there.

Again good luck and sorry we took you all round the houses but what's ride eh :D

So is there a way to contact the web manager?

You have already posted a discussion thread about this topic in the Geocaching.com Web Site feature suggestions and bug reporting forum. So, you're all set and there is no need to open another thread.

You could contact Geocaching HQ via the Help Center, but I will save you the trouble: they would in all likelihood say "thank you for your suggestion -- you should post it in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum section."