Premium Membership. Can kids log too as Basic Members?

lehdan

It's been 8 years since I've geocached. I see I will need to become a Premium Member to find the good caches now.. Disappointing but understandable.

My question: I want to get some kids in my family out hunting with me and logging their finds too. They will all be basic members.

Will they be able to log their "premium cache" finds as basic members if I'm the only Premium Member?

It's been 8 years since I've geocached. I see I will need to become a Premium Member to find the good caches now.. Disappointing but understandable.

FWIW, I was a premium member for ten years and never saw a pmo cache that was any different from another.

Most get premium membership for pqs, api, gsak and project-gc functions. :)

My question: I want to get some kids in my family out hunting with me and logging their finds too. They will all be basic members.

Please consider:

"Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

Please consider:

"Minors. Our services are not targeted towards, nor intended for use by, anyone under the age of 13. If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian who agrees to be bound by this Agreement."

That approach will kill geocaching for so many people - Most of us geocache with kids under 13. It also rules out geocaching for many youth organisations such as Scouts and Guides (and it's a requirement for some award schemes). How are you expecting to get the next generation of Geocachers if you enforce this?

How are you expecting to get the next generation of Geocachers if you enforce this?

The question should be "how do you enforce this?"

GS has no way of knowing how old someone is unless they disclose their age themselves.

I know accounts held by <10's, they even have placed caches.

Many times it's even clear by reading logs that accounts are owned by under-13's and some even post pictures where it's clear they are small children.

In short, who cares :ph34r:

That approach will kill geocaching for so many people - Most of us geocache with kids under 13. It also rules out geocaching for many youth organisations such as Scouts and Guides (and it's a requirement for some award schemes). How are you expecting to get the next generation of Geocachers if you enforce this?

[emphasis mine] ...where you make a point to provide no supervision for those kids?

Check the TOU of most any service for similar proscriptions. I guess you're just being hyperbolic to be silly, but for the record, the clause that you quote specifies supervision. Requiring parents' involvement is a good policy for the protection of children. In case you truly cannot understand why parents should be in control of which Internet sites their children use, see this reference:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/complying-coppa-frequently-asked-questions

"In enacting the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, Congress determined to apply the statute’s protections only to children under 13, recognizing that younger children are particularly vulnerable to overreaching by marketers and may not understand the safety and privacy issues created by the online collection of personal information."

Edited by kunarion

That rule is about establishing accounts, not about going geocaching with a supervising adult. I take my 3-year-old daughter geocaching all the time. But she won't be allowed to have her own account until she is 13, assuming she is still interested. Read kunarion's COPA link for more info.

How are you expecting to get the next generation of Geocachers if you enforce this?

The question should be "how do you enforce this?"

GS has no way of knowing how old someone is unless they disclose their age themselves.

I know accounts held by <10's, they even have placed caches.

Many times it's even clear by reading logs that accounts are owned by under-13's and some even post pictures where it's clear they are small children.

In short, who cares :ph34r:

Groundspeak has to care, under US law. That said, they rely on cachers to self-certify and are not required to investigate children's ages, but if they learn about it they have to take action or face stiff fines. Applies to foreign children, too.

Edited by hzoi

I think it would be within the rules if a parent has an account where they log their child's finds, and with supervision, the child can help with the logging. It is still the parent's account technically, but represents the child's geocaching history. And certainly that could be a basic member account while the family also holds another premium account, and they can use the workaround logging to log the child's participation at a premium cache.

I think it would be within the rules if a parent has an account where they log their child's finds, and with supervision, the child can help with the logging.

Doesn't look like it:

If you are under the age of 13, you are not permitted to use our services. If you are under the age of 18 but at least 13, you may only use our services under the supervision of a parent or legal guardian

Looks like what you're suggesting can only be done for 13-18 yo.

Groundspeak has to care, under US law. That said, they rely on cachers to self-certify.

What do you suggest? Report underage accounts :ph34r:

Won't happen.

I don't suggest anything. I might be a lawyer, but I'm not Groundspeak's lawyer. I'm just telling you what the law says.

Groundspeak has no obligation to look into any cacher's age, but they would have the obligation to act if they find out that someone underage has an account. I have no interest in playing the Cache Police Juvenile Squad. But in the past, Groundspeak has been forced to act when someone underage has outed themselves as being too young to have an account.

Edited by hzoi