Geocashing=fantastic, but please....no plastic!

Many parks (and I'd bet at least one near you) require a clear, plastic container.

Sorry, I dont understand why a park would require a clear plastic bag? Here a park could be anything from a kiddies playground, to a field that has been nicely mown (see croke park) , to a football pitch, to grand elaborate landscaped garden.

OK, to be clear, we do not equate a plastic container with a plastic bag. The plastic container must be durable and waterproof; something a plastic bag could never be. Properly maintained by the cache owner, a plastic container would pose no environmental problems.

Many parks (and I'd bet at least one near you) require a clear, plastic container.

Sorry, I dont understand why a park would require a clear plastic bag? Here a park could be anything from a kiddies playground, to a field that has been nicely mown (see croke park) , to a football pitch, to grand elaborate landscaped garden.

You misunderstood that. Many areas either require, or request containers that you can see the contents of. Very few geocaches have a plastic bag containing another container. And when you do see that, it is often some other geocacher that encloses the original container in a plastic bag, thinking that they are helping out the original hider, who probably put out an inappropriate container that leaked. We do not normally enclose our containers in plastic bags.

Geocaching for many is a hobby and every hobby has some impact on the environment, heck just living does but over all geocachers clean up a lot more than they leave behind. Good plastic containers are practical for geocaching, cheap and watertight, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.

I'm sure you can find a different group that offends a lot worse to go focus on or better yet go invent a "better" container and make a fortune.

Edited by Roman!
Apparently we have almost 7,000 Geocache sites in ireland. I can be pretty sure most of them are in rural locations and not places one would typically find deposits of plastics
Ireland must be very different from the places I've gone geocaching then...

I have always considered myself to be a metal ammo-can-in-the-woods type of cacher. But according to my supplier, the price started rising after people around here became convinced that Obama was going to take away their bullets. So without plastics, I guess there would be a lot more bison tubes and nanos. I am not sure that would be a good thing, for either the game or the environment. At least most cachers have figured out that cheap lightweight plastic containers don't work.

We just purchased tickets to visit Ireland to watch the Grand Prix of Darts. Tungsten there. Besides that I expect to visit several earthcaches and virtuals so I am not sure how many containers I will inspect. But from what I have heard about fairy forts and other locations, I would be careful with where I left anything there, plastic or not. There are some folks I would not want to offend.

Please lose the political commentary, OK? The President doesn't have that sort of power, no matter how much you may dislike him, but moreover, that has no business in this thread. This is about plastic, not politics.

I've run across sandwich baggies, trash bags, and everything in between used for caches. Bags like these are terrible and should not be used for geocaching containers. At least, not in the wild. Perhaps this is what the OP is talking about and if so, i certainly agree.

I've run across sandwich baggies, trash bags, and everything in between used for caches. Bags like these are terrible and should not be used for geocaching containers. At least, not in the wild. Perhaps this is what the OP is talking about and if so, i certainly agree.

As do I. And yeah, I'm getting an impression that is the biggest gripe being expressed by the OP.

Shortly before I started geocaching I spent eight days bicycling in western Ireland. The remote places you can get to on a sturdy bicycle might surprise you. I found the Irish countryside no more or less littered than most of the other couple dozen countries around the world where I have bicycled.

I have noted that in Europe it is not uncommon to find cache containers tucked inside plastic bags in rural areas. Having cached in more than half the states in the USA I can confidently say that I have never encountered that here. All of the animal damaged containers I have seen (and that is <1% of my finds) have had food or other strong attractors (a candle in a cache in Israel for example) in them.

I am unclear why someone is posting about plastic containers and yet has ZERO finds on their profile? Is it a busy cacher who wants to remain anonymous so they created a new account? Is it someone who just likes to troll the internet and cause trouble? As far as how much damage is being done to the environment by plastic geocaching containers, it would probably rate somewhere between the damage done by flea farts and the damage done by butterfly burps!

I am guessing it is somebody that knows about geocaching and cares about the environment and the world around her and has come here to ask us to be careful. I find your post to be very rude to a caring newcomer. Please be polite. Would you treat a guest in your house like that?

Oh thank you, that's a lovely way to put it. And in a nutshell too.

Im not here to find fault with the activiity, in fact I think it's a great idea. I just have one little concern and rather than over react I thought I would voice it here first to give anyone who wants to respond the opportunity to respond....and take it from there.

I am unclear why someone is posting about plastic containers and yet has ZERO finds on their profile? Is it a busy cacher who wants to remain anonymous so they created a new account? Is it someone who just likes to troll the internet and cause trouble? As far as how much damage is being done to the environment by plastic geocaching containers, it would probably rate somewhere between the damage done by flea farts and the damage done by butterfly burps!

I am guessing it is somebody that knows about geocaching and cares about the environment and the world around her and has come here to ask us to be careful. I find your post to be very rude to a caring newcomer. Please be polite. Would you treat a guest in your house like that?

Im not here to find fault with the activiity, in fact I think it's a great idea. I just have one little concern and rather than over react I thought I would voice it here first to give anyone who wants to respond the opportunity to respond....and take it from there.

Yes, I sense that. And you have been more than polite despite some very rude responses. Thanks for taking the high road, and I hope the moderators spot this thread soon and start to rap a few knuckles.

May I ask how you learned about geocaching and what brought your attention to this issue?

I have always considered myself to be a metal ammo-can-in-the-woods type of cacher. But according to my supplier, the price started rising after people around here became convinced that Obama was going to take away their bullets. So without plastics, I guess there would be a lot more bison tubes and nanos. I am not sure that would be a good thing, for either the game or the environment. At least most cachers have figured out that cheap lightweight plastic containers don't work.

We just purchased tickets to visit Ireland to watch the Grand Prix of Darts. Tungsten there. Besides that I expect to visit several earthcaches and virtuals so I am not sure how many containers I will inspect. But from what I have heard about fairy forts and other locations, I would be careful with where I left anything there, plastic or not. There are some folks I would not want to offend.

Please lose the political commentary, OK? The President doesn't have that sort of power, no matter how much you may dislike him, but moreover, that has no business in this thread. This is about plastic, not politics.

I simply repeated what my supplier told me about why ammo cans are more expensive. My politics are a little different than his. And his politics are different than many of the people who have been buying up cans. It was simply to state that supply and demand have affected people's choice in containers. It's not as easy as it used to be. As others have mentioned the price has gone up. Regardless of the cause, since the price rise, I have used plastic lock n locks in some situations instead of metal ammo cans. A pity. I would rather avoid plastics.

Edited by geodarts

Sorry, I dont understand why a park would require a clear plastic bag? Here a park could be anything from a kiddies playground, to a field that has nicely mown (see croke park) , to a football pitch, to grand elaborate landscaped garden.

You misunderstood that. Many areas either require, or request containers that you can see the contents of. Very few geocaches have a plastic bag containing another container. And when you do see that, it is often some other geocacher that encloses the original container in a plastic bag, thinking that they are helping out the original hider, who probably put out an inappropriate container that leaked. We do not normally enclose our containers in plastic bags.

Just to clarify...Im in the west of Ireland. Virtually no one here knows about geocaching. And if someone were to walk up to me (or anyone else for that matter) telling me or them what we can and cant do in the park....they'd be met with fits of laughter...We're a bit more relaxed here in Ireland than they are in the USA.....actually edit that...we're a lot more relaxed here in Ireland:)

Sorry, I dont understand why a park would require a clear plastic bag? Here a park could be anything from a kiddies playground, to a field that has nicely mown (see croke park) , to a football pitch, to grand elaborate landscaped garden.

Just to clarify...Im in the west of Ireland. Virtually no one here knows about geocaching. And if someone were to walk up to me (or anyone else for that matter) telling me or them what we can and cant do in the park....they'd be met with fits of laughter...We're a bit more relaxed here in Ireland than they are in the USA.....actually edit that...we're a lot more relaxed here in Ireland:)

I blame it on the Guinness. :lol:

Speaking from personal experience, if you suspect someone is trolling, it is best to report it and allow the mods to figure it out.

I just did a search for Geocaching Ireland and thought you might be interested in this: http://www.geocachingireland.com/?page_id=44

=============

Geocaching Guidelines

Geocaching Ireland promote the principles of Leave No Trace as a best practice for those wishing to hide and seek geocaches. Leave No Trace has seven basic principles and below you will find ways in which to help fulfil these principles when hiding or searching for a cache.

1. PLAN AHEAD AND PREPARE
  2. BE CONSIDERATE OF OTHERS
  3. RESPECT FARM ANIMALS AND WILDLIFE
  4. TRAVEL AND CAMP ON DURABLE GROUND
  5. LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND
  6. DISPOSE OF WASTE PROPERLY
  7. MINIMISE THE EFFECTS OF FIRE

LEAVE NO TRACE PRINCIPLES – HIDING A GEOCACHE

• Before you place your cache check, where possible, if access
    is allowed and that geocaching is permitted in the area you
    wish to visit.
  • Respect any signs, regulations, policies and special
    concerns for the area that you wish to visit. Permits may
    sometimes be needed for geocaching on public lands and
    permission should always be sought before placing a cache on
    private land. The onus is on the cache owner to ensure that
    adequate permission is given by the landowner.
  • Encourage the use of public transport to and from your cache
    and in situations where this is not possible consider the
    availability of parking.

• Respect the people who visit, live and work in the area you
    are placing the cache and consider any negative effect it may
    have on them.
  • Never place a cache without adequate permission from the
    appropriate landowner. A cache in an inappropriate place could
    be an unpleasant experience for any vistors that may have to
    explain what it and they are doing there.
  • Ensure the cache container is clearly marked, stating that
    the contents are harmless and giving your email address or
    other method of contact.
  • Only items that would be deemed safe and acceptable for an
    unaccompanied child to find should be placed in a cache.
    Explosives, fireworks, ammunition, lighters, matches knives
    (including pocket knives and multi-tools), medication, alcohol
    or other illicit material are prohibited items under the
    Geocaching.com Guidelines and should never be placed in a
    cache.
  • Caches should be placed in a way that they will not be
    accidentally found by non-geocachers.
  • Avoid placing your cache in a location that will tempt other
    to park inappropriately near gateways, forest entrances or
    along narrow roads. Always try to take the time to find an
    appropriate parking spot and highlight it on your cache page.
  • Caches should not be buried. Holes should not be dug or
    enlarged in order to place a cache.
  • Caches should not be placed in such a way that fences and
    dry stone walls do have to be negotiated (unless there is a
    stile or a gate).

• No items of food or drink of any kind should be placed in
    the cache. Smells can be detected by animals that try to chew
    through the container which can harm or even kill.
  • Caches must not be hidden in animal lairs, burrows, runs
    etc. even if they appear to be abandoned.
  • Cache containers should not be placed inside a polythene bag
    as they can also be eaten by some animals. Concentrate instead
    on selecting an appropriate cache container for the location
    and weather conditions or choose a different location
    altogether.

(Durable ground includes established tracks and campsites, rock,

gravel, dry grasses or snow.)

In popular areas:

• Place your cache so that others are encouraged to use
    existing tracks.
  • To avoid further erosion, try to avoid areas that are
    already receiving an excessive amount of visitors.

In more remote areas:

• Encourage visitors to find their own route to the cache site
    to prevent the creation of new tracks.
  • Avoid places where impacts are just beginning to show.

5. LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND

• No cache should be placed in such a way as to risk damage or
    disturbance to any National Monument, National Park, Nature
    Reserves, Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Special
    Protection Areas (SPAs) and Natural Heritage Areas (NHAs) in
    the Republic of Ireland or Site of Special Scientific Interest
    (SSSI) or Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM) in Northern
    Ireland.
  • Caches should never be placed within or close to a dry-stone
    wall or cairn.
  • When camoflaging your cache and/or its location ensure that
    visitors aren’t encouraged to move rocks or otherwise change
    or harm the natural habitat in which its situated.
  • In areas with poor GPS reception try to provide a good hint
    and/or a spoiler photograph to minimise unneccesary searching
    and risk of damage to the natural habitat.
  • Carry out regular maintenance visits to ensure that there is
    no added impact in the area as a result of the cache location
    and make any adjustments or remove the cache if necessary.

• Choose an appropriate container for your cache ensuring that
    it is robust and sturdy enough to withstand exposure to the
    Irish climate withing being broken or damaged.
  • Avoid cache contents that will attract wild animals (food,
    drink, candles or strongly perfumed objects) which may be able
    to access the cache container and scatter the contents.
  • Carry out regular maintenance visits to ensure that the
    container is intact and that there are no inappropriate cache
    contents.

• Items likely to cause fires are prohibited under the
    Geocaching.com Guidelines so never place cigarette lighters or
    matches in your caches and remove them if placed by othe

LEAVE NO TRACE PRINCIPLES – SEARCHING FOR A GEOCACHE

• Before you go to an area to search for a cache read
    the cache page carefully and check if there are any
    restrictions for visitors.
  • Check previous logs to make sure there are no problems
    with the cache that could result in a wasted trip and a need
    to revisit the area. For a cache with multiple “Did Not Find”
    logs it may be worth leaving your visit until the owner has
    had a chance to check it out.
  • Respect any signs, regulations, policies and special
    concerns for the area that you wish to visit.
  • Where possible travel by public transport or share
    cars; consider the availability of parking.
  • Ensure you have the appropriate skills and equipment
    needed for the area that you are visiting and that you will be
    able to cope with any emergencies that could arise.
  • Check the weather forecast and always be prepared for
    changing weather conditions.
  • Let someone know where you are going and when you
    intend to return and always let them know if you are delayed.
  • For environmental and safety reasons, and to minimise
    your impact on other users, keep group numbers small; split
    larger parties into smaller groups.
  • Consider compiling and carrying a cache repair kit so
    that you can carry out simple maintenace for a cache owner to
    avoid them having to revisit a cache to perform simple tasks.
    Good things to carry in a repair kit include spare
    pens/pencils, stash notes, log books, Ziploc bags and of
    course extra goodies to top up a cache.

• Respect the people who visit, live and work in the
    area you are visiting and avoid drawing negative attention by
    behaving in a furtive or suspicious manner. If approached by a
    landowner, police, security or other interested parties be
    open and honest about what you are doing.
  • Park appropriately and legally – avoid blocking
    gateways, forest entrances or narrow roads. Remember that farm
    machinery, local residents and the emergency services may need
    access at all times.
  • Take care not to damage property, especially walls,
    fences and crops.
  • Respect other visitors and protect the quality of
    their experience.
  • Let nature’s sounds prevail. Keep noise to a minimum.

• Dogs should be kept under close control and should
    only be brought onto hills or farmland with the landowner’s
    permission.
  • Observe wild animals and birds from a distance. Avoid
    disturbing them, particularly at sensitive times: mating,
    nesting and raising young (mostly between spring and early
    summer).
  • Keep wildlife wild, don’t feed wild animals or birds -
    our foods damage their health and leave them vulnerable to
    predators. Also avoid placing items in caches that will
    attract animals (food, drink, candles or other strongly
    perfumed items)
  • Farm animals are not pets; remain at a safe distance.

(Durable ground includes established tracks and campsites, rock, gravel, dry grasses or snow.)

In popular areas:

• Concentrate use on existing tracks. Avoid blindly
    “following the arrow” and think about the impact you are
    having when approaching the cache site.
  • To avoid further erosion, travel in single file in the
    middle of the track even when wet or muddy.

In more remote areas:

• Disperse use to prevent the creation of new tracks.
  • Avoid places where impacts are just beginning to show.

5. LEAVE WHAT YOU FIND

• Respect property. For example, farming or forestry
    machinery, fences, stone walls etc. Leave gates as you find
    them (open or closed).
  • Preserve the past: examine – without damaging -
    archaeological structures, old walls and heritage artefacts
    e.g. holy wells, mine workings, monuments.
  • Conserve the present: leave rocks, flowers, plants,
    animals and all natural habitats as you find them. Fallen
    trees are a valuable wildlife habitat; do not remove or use
    for firewood.
  • Avoid introducing non-native plants and animals e.g.
    don’t leave seed packets as a swap.
  • Do not build rock cairns, structures or shelters.
  • When leaving a cache site there should be no visual
    sign of disturbance and all should be left as you found it.
  • Help others to avoid unnecessary visits to the cache
    site by logging “Needs Maintenance” notes when you discover a
    problem with a cache. This alerts the owner as well as other
    potential visitors so give plenty of detail so that the owner
    knows what is required to fix the problem.

• “If You Bring It In, Take It Out” – take home all
    litter and leftover food (including tea bags, fruit peels and
    other biodegradable foods).
  • Get into the habit of carrying spare plastic bags and
    perform a CITO (Cache In, Trash Out) when visting a cache in a
    littered area.
  • If you currently use printouts of cache pages consider
    methods to reduce the amount of printing you have to do,
    recycle old cache pages or even better consider switching to
    paperless caching using a PDA (Palm Pilot or PocketPC), iPod
    or Smartphone (Paperless caching also requires a Premium
    Membership of Geocaching.com and access to Pocket Queries)

• Items likely to cause fires are prohibited under the
    Geocaching.com Guidelines so never place cigarette lighters or
    matches in a cache and remove them if placed by others.

Not sure if I want to show this to you, but western Ireland seems to have a pretty good share of caches: https://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx?ll=52.83325,-6.92413#?ll=53.25904,-9.579474&z=7

Hides using plastic bags are pretty uncommon here and if there is an upside (at least in a local sense), it's that the hiders who use baggies to hide caches are usually the ones who go geocaching crazy for a few weeks and then disappear. So, they do hide a few of these terrible caches but they're not there for the long haul and don't get the chance to carpet-bomb the countryside with their garbage. Geocachers who stick around long enough either know outright that plastic bags make horrible containers or learn soon thereafter when they disintegrate within a month.

As do I. And yeah, I'm getting an impression that is the biggest gripe being expressed by the OP.

Yes, it is my biggest concern. And thank you (ladies? gents?) for understanding what it is I am trying to say. I appreciate that, so thank you.

But it's not solely the bag kind of wrappers,it's also the volume of trinkets in some caches does bother me too.

Oh sorry, maybe I should have been more specific, I am only talking about in the rural/remote areas. It would be insane of me to even try and suggest no plastic in urban areas... Actually it never even dawned on me that you would think otherwise..

Not sure if I want to show this to you, but western Ireland seems to have a pretty good share of caches: https://www.geocachi...4,-9.579474&z=7

A good amount of caches, for sure. Zooming in does show lots of open areas, though, especially around the western coast. As a CO, seeing that makes ME jealous. I'd love to hide a cache somewhere as scenic as Ireland.

Who said parks require bags? They require clear plastic containers. Something like tupperware for example (although most of that stuff won't make a good cache)

I simply repeated what my supplier told me about why ammo cans are more expensive. My politics are a little different than his. And his politics are different than many of the people who have been buying up cans. It was simply to state that supply and demand have affected people's choice in containers. It's not as easy as it used to be. As others have mentioned the price has gone up. Regardless of the cause, since the price rise, I have used plastic lock n locks in some situations instead of metal ammo cans. A pity. I would rather avoid plastics.

oh dear....dont tell me you have visions of leprechauns and fairies in your head when you think of ireland...Those fairy forts are actually really ancient settlements,neolithic I think, and all the leprechauns have emigrated...China I think.

Yes, I sense that. And you have been more than polite despite some very rude responses. Thanks for taking the high road, and I hope the moderators spot this thread soon and start to rap a few knuckles.

May I ask how you learned about geocaching and what brought your attention to this issue?

I think this thread is the definition of overreaction by the OP, don't know why you are buttressing him/her up.

Speaking from personal experience, if you suspect someone is trolling, it is best to report it and allow the mods to figure it out.

Trolling was my impression early on and either knowschad is doing a major league troll of the troller or.......I'm not gonna finish this sentence.

Personally, I have only ever seen one cache that was wrapped in a plastic bag, and that was a guardrail cache. The other plastic baggie caches I have seen, I've heard called 'slimjims.' Generally these are plastic baggies that are then wrapped in duct tape. I really dislike these, personally, but have only seen two, both of which were in urban areas.

I'm not sure how much you (OP) have looked into geocaching, but one thing that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet is that the geocaching community has a pretty good self-policing system in place. So if, for example, I were to go out and I found a plastic container that is starting to break apart, thus being more trash than cache, I can report that to the CO so that they can remove the trash and either replace it with a proper cache, or archive the cache. I will generally check and see whether the CO is still active or if they are one of the aforementioned type who get really into caching for a short period of time, the latter case in which you can generally assume they are not going to go take care of their cache, and you have the option to request archival. A lot of cachers will replace busted containers along the way, not to mention cleaning up trash in an area as they are hunting, helping keep garbage to a minimum. So I respect and appreciate your concerns for the environment, but I'm not sure they're as founded as you might think. I'm pretty sure the majority of us who geocache really love the environment and being out there to enjoy it is part of the appeal, so we try not to negatively impact it!

I read the first post and I've scrolled fast through the rest because inevitably it deteriorated into common sense ... Badge pins lol.

Ok

Badge pins

or ... barbed wire, fast moving cars, farmers fertiliser, ryan air even, air lingus ... Or erm badge pins

Plastic containers

Or ... Do you cup your hands from the tap? Clean your teeth with a stick? Drive a steam train to work? In fact your very message was tapped out on an old brass morse sender was it or was it from a planet killing electronic device with plastic keys, components, lithium ion battery blah blah

If you want to save some animals try lowering the starling population that eat everything like locusts. Or remove locusts. Or cats that kill birds. Or spiders that eat what birds eat. Or environments cleared to shove up wind turbines. Which are anchored to the ground with enough concrete to wipe out any possible benefit they could ever contribute in their entire lifetime.

Not to be disparaging but I've seen enough planet savers turn up to some rally or whatever driving along in the most knackered heap of poison spewing junk and they don't get the irony. Personally I've seen more discarded sinks, toilets, trainers and even condoms, Chinese meal containers and McDonalds rubbish than I ever have caching containers.

It's good to have a cause ... this ain't it.

I read the first post and I've scrolled fast through the rest because inevitably it deteriorated into common sense ... Badge pins lol.

Ok

Badge pins

or ... barbed wire, fast moving cars, farmers fertiliser, ryan air even, air lingus ... Or erm badge pins

Plastic containers

Or ... Do you cup your hands from the tap? Clean your teeth with a stick? Drive a steam train to work? In fact your very message was tapped out on an old brass morse sender was it or was it from a planet killing electronic device with plastic keys, components, lithium ion battery blah blah

If you want to save some animals try lowering the starling population that eat everything like locusts. Or remove locusts. Or cats that kill birds. Or spiders that eat what birds eat. Or environments cleared to shove up wind turbines. Which are anchored to the ground with enough concrete to wipe out any possible benefit they could ever contribute in their entire lifetime.

Not to be disparaging but I've seen enough planet savers turn up to some rally or whatever driving along in the most knackered heap of poison spewing junk and they don't get the irony. Personally I've seen more discarded sinks, toilets, trainers and even condoms, Chinese meal containers and McDonalds rubbish than I ever have caching containers.

It's good to have a cause ... this ain't it.

And thus ends the OP loving kumbaya, took way too long.

Trolling was my impression early on and either knowschad is doing a major league troll of the troller or.......I'm not gonna finish this sentence.

Regardless of what it appears to be, we either need to take the OP at face value and discuss the merits of the topic at hand or, if you do not believe the OP is legitimate, then refrain from posting such and report it to the mods instead. It is their job to deal with trolling.

It is really easy to be really wrong and you can wind up making the situation a lot worse by making accusations.

Not sure if I want to show this to you, but western Ireland seems to have a pretty good share oYf caches: https://www.geocachi...4,-9.579474&z=7

A good amount of caches, for sure. Zooming in does show lots of open areas, though, especially around the western coast. As a CO, seeing that makes ME jealous. I'd love to hide a cache somewhere as scenic as Ireland.

Oh sorry, I did have a reply written for this, but lost it.

Anyway, yeh, there's almost 7000 in ireland as far as I know. I was really surprise when I read it. didnt think there'd be any at all. First one in Europe was placed down in Wicklow 15 years ago, mere hours/days after the GPS restrtion was lifted (All news to me this week). I'm having visons of plastic caches being dropped off all over the place,it truly is discomforting, especially when I know how unspoilt it is around here.

Sorry, I've no idea what CO is.

You're jealous after zooming in? On google earth? Ah, here's something a touch better. And I hope this footage gives some understanding as to why I came here to your forum.

Edited to add - scroll down the page to the video "Atlantic light"

http://www.charismaticplanet.com/atlantic-light-from-peter-cox/

Edited by Whoseyerwan

Can anyone post some gallery pictures of existing caches in West Ireland so we can see what the OP is concerned about?

It is always good to have a discussion about appropriate containers and hear facts about potential environmental impacts. However, a solid plastic, waterproof BOX, which has not been used for food, is an extremely low-risk container. With regular maintenance checkups and some education in the community about appropriate swag (ie: no candy or anything scented), there should be no harm to the creatures in that environment.

It might be useful to consider what type of animals live near a cache location and whether they might be drawn to certain elements of a container. I believe there was a discussion a while back about some rodents likino the adhesive on the camo duct tape sometimes used to wrap containers.

We should also be aware of touching a container and its contents with trail-mix and granola bar sticky fingers!

Yes, it is my biggest concern.

Yet many people here are telling you that plastic BAGS are RARELY used as geocaching containers. I hope you will understand the distinction between a plastic bags and a sturdy firm plastic container.

Maybe 10 or 15 times I've seen a plastic bag intentionally used by a cache owner in over 7000 finds. Sometimes bags are added later by someone who mistakenly thinks it will keep water out (they actually hold moisture in) or by someone temporarily protecting a damaged container or a logbook from a missing container and thereby giving the owner time to fix the problem. These, too, are rare.

There are some small plastic bags intentionally used for containers that are most often wrapped heavily in duct tape or camo tape and then placed in a crack in a post or in open masonry joints. These are few in number and very rare in remote areas.

You have not acknowledged the distinction between plastic BAGS and durable plastic CONTAINERS and that makes me wonder if you think there are thousands upon thousands of thin plastic bags placed by geocachers that are out there shreading in the elements. You can rest assured that this is NOT the case.

And thank you (ladies? gents?) for understanding what it is I am trying to say. I appreciate that, so thank you.

And I, for one, am hoping that you might come to understand what most of us are trying to tell you. We love this game and most cache owners want their containers to be sturdy and survive.

When we see a problem of the type you are concerned about we take actions to help get it corrected such as posting a log that the cache Needs Maintenance or Needs (to be) Archived. If the owner does not respond and the cache container is no longer viable then people will typically remove the remains.

But it's not solely the bag kind of wrappers,it's also the volume of trinkets in some caches does bother me too.

And that is why we use sturdy containers, report problems and pick up loose items not protected by a sturdy container.

..I am only talking about in the rural/remote areas.

And these areas typically have fewer problems and far fewer visitors.

Your concerns have been addressed here by people who have a lot of caching experience. I, too, am sorry for the unsocial comments you have received here but I am also frustrated that you seem to be missing many comments that address your concerns.

Your aparent assumptions of this game and how it is played don't to match what we know as the reality. Plastic shreading and blowing around the countryside is NOT what is happening. Please try to understand that.

Regardless of what it appears to be, we either need to take the OP at face value and discuss the merits of the topic at hand or, if you do not believe the OP is legitimate, then refrain from posting such and report it to the mods instead. It is their job to deal with trolling.

It is really easy to be really wrong and you can wind up making the situation a lot worse by making accusations.

Whoa hang on a minute. Seriously? A Troll??? Are you kidding me!! You think I'm a troll?..Oh sweet mother of God, five minutes on a forum and I'm being called a troll. Believe you me,that crap is soooooooo 1990's for me these days. I am more than happy to confirm my legitimacy by whatever means is possible on the internet. But short of posting a photo of myself,my boots and bringing you on a hike with me via ipad/skype I dont know how I can prove I am not a troll....somehow I suspect just sa;ying I'm not a troll won't suffice.

I can barely follow whom I've replied to and whom I haven't,never mind troll a site I never knew existed until this week, on a pastime that was taking place right on my doorstep but yet I have been oblivious to..I have also completely lost a post where I was suggesting ye Geochachers should wear some sort of badge when out on a search.....and that ye were the lurkers of my world...but feck knows where that went to.....

Honestly, I'm aghast here that you could accuse me of being a troll...clearly you are no Sherlock Holmes..that's for sure.

Whoa hang on a minute. Seriously? A Troll??? Are you kidding me!! You think I'm a troll?..Oh sweet mother of God, five minutes on a forum and I'm being called a troll. Believe you me,that crap is soooooooo 1990's for me these days. I am more than happy to confirm my legitimacy by whatever means is possible on the internet. But short of posting a photo of myself,my boots and bringing you on a hike with me via ipad/skype I dont know how I can prove I am not a troll....somehow I suspect just sa;ying I'm not a troll won't suffice.

I can barely follow whom I've replied to and whom I haven't,never mind troll a site I never knew existed until this week, on a pastime that was taking place right on my doorstep but yet I have been oblivious to..I have also completely lost a post where I was suggesting ye Geochachers should wear some sort of badge when out on a search.....and that ye were the lurkers of my world...but feck knows where that went to.....

Honestly, I'm aghast here that you could accuse me of being a troll...clearly you are no Sherlock Holmes..that's for sure.

Edit to ask

Is paranoia a feature on this site??

Oh sorry, I did have a reply written for this, but lost it.

Anyway, yeh, there's almost 7000 in ireland as far as I know. I was really surprise when I read it. didnt think there'd be any at all. First one in Europe was placed down in Wicklow 15 years ago, mere hours/days after the GPS restrtion was lifted (All news to me this week). I'm having visons of plastic caches being dropped off all over the place,it truly is discomforting, especially when I know how unspoilt it is around here.

Sorry, I've no idea what CO is.

You're jealous after zooming in? On google earth? Ah, here's something a touch better. And I hope this footage gives some understanding as to why I came here to your forum.

Edited to add - scroll down the page to the video "Atlantic light"

http://www.charismat...from-peter-cox/

CO=Cache Owner and my jealousy is from seeing all that available real estate for placing a cache. I've never been to Ireland but I've seen enough photos and heard from people that have been there to know it's a place of incredible beauty and somewhere I wish to visit at least once in my life.

Thank you for the link. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I will.

I've never gone geocaching in Ireland (where apparently most geocaches are in rural locations), but the bags I've seen used in geocaching have been (1) plastic bags inside the container to protect the log and/or to organize the contents; (2) cloth bags used for camouflage, like a ghillie suit for the container; or (3) heavy pill bags reinforced with duct tape used as containers, sometimes called Slim Jims.

But perhaps Bison tubes are the solution to the Trouble that starts with T and that rhymes with P and that stands for Plastic. Except for the O-rings, Bison tubes are metal. And there's no room for trade items, so we don't have to worry about plastic trinkets.

Of course, there's the small issue with geocachers who hate micro-caches in rural locations...

So let me get this straight ...

You can barely follow who you have replied to etc because presumably you're not all up to date with the latest things going on in the world of technology ... in effect you're all at sea with this business ... and yet

You know what a troll is ... oh you had to look that up eh ohhhhhh

Take us on a hike with your iPad is it. And you can Skype us to prove your not a troll lol. And paste links to websites. And multy quote ....

.... but you can barely follow who you have replied to and who you havent. And you're reply to this but you'll presumably lose that reply somewhere but you have no idea where it's gone ...

Sherlock Holmes isn't required I'm afraid .... perhaps a shovel would be more apt. Start over there please. There's quite a big pile of it over there. Cheers!

Edited by Seaglass Pirates

Guys, seriously, we can have a discussion about the environmental impact of containers. Even if you think the OP is a troll, it's still a valid discussion.

Those who feel there is trolling going on, you are welcome to ignore or bow out. Those who are interested in the discussion can continue on topic.

The sad thing about these extreme enviro-warriors is that they willfully misunderstand what geocaching is about and miss an opportunity to make new allies.

Oh not another one....

Sorry to all the sane rational and responsible people on this board. But. this is rediculous I think I might be better off going to the Coillte office...and speaking to the lads in there. They get the final say on this, regardless of what you think or want. I think I will take them out to a few caches (assuming I can find them) and show them what is being him scattered around the Irish countryside. Then I will go direct to the Minster for Tourism and show them the responses I am getting from fruitcakes like this one here....I certainly hope you never set foot here.....I suspect you'd be the very one that would cause the most damage and not give a dadgum!

No I'm no warrior.or extreme, or even here to make allies or foe...just a point....and a request. But I am certainly irritated at how many mouth breathing morons are on the internet these days. You and your other sneering friend/s accusing me of all sorts have let the Geocache Community down. I actually thought you were reasonable, rational people. It seems I was wrong. BAckstory and warrior!!!What idiots come up with this kind of rubbsibh.....

This thread is dead, died, deteriorated rather rapidly in fact ...

It stuttered into life but should have been aborted at the "hope this isn't a bot reading this" and the "*cringe*" refrence in the first post. Clearly no internet newbie there ...

"Can barely keep up with who I have replied to" should have been a further clue especially as to insert a link you have to understand the cut and paste system which via certsin browsers won't permit a straight paste and has to be done by side links on the browser.

But what really killed it was in order to create the account you have to have some idea behind email accounts to register even if it's a duff email, then find the forum and surely a poster from Ireland would choose the UK forum, but nope. And not only that - despite the fragile grasp of the whole posting thingy with the flashy lights etc ... managed to create a new thread right off the bat.

Multy quote and various other newbie phobic tasks.

Dead thread. Time of death .... as soon a the mod hits the kills switch. Any time ...

The sad thing about these extreme enviro-warriors is that they willfully misunderstand what geocaching is about and miss an opportunity to make new allies.

Oh not another one....

Sorry to all the sane rational and responsible people on this board. But. this is rediculous I think I might be better off going to the Coillte office...and speaking to the lads in there. They get the final say on this, regardless of what you think or want. I think I will take them out to a few caches (assuming I can find them) and show them what is being him scattered around the Irish countryside. Then I will go direct to the Minster for Tourism and show them the responses I am getting from fruitcakes like this one here....I certainly hope you never set foot here.....I suspect you'd be the very one that would cause the most damage and not give a dadgum!

No I'm no warrior.or extreme, or even here to make allies or foe...just a point....and a request. But I am certainly irritated at how many mouth breathing morons are on the internet these days. You and your other sneering friend/s accusing me of all sorts have let the Geocache Community down. I actually thought you were reasonable, rational people. It seems I was wrong. BAckstory and warrior!!!What idiots come up with this kind of rubbsibh.....

Sooo...I'm confused. Trying to be reasonable, but have you actually found a cache yet? Or are you just presuming that all cache containers are made out of plastic bags? If you haven't found a cache yet, I would encourage you to. You might be surprised or your worst fears might be realized. If there is an abundance of plastic baggy hides going on in your area, then the problem lies with your local cache hiders and not with geocaching in general.

Guys, seriously, we can have a discussion about the environmental impact of containers. Even if you think the OP is a troll, it's still a valid discussion.

Those who feel there is trolling going on, you are welcome to ignore or bow out. Those who are interested in the discussion can continue on topic.

What's there to discus? The environmental impact of all the geocaches in the world is negligible, even not counting all the trash geocachers haul out of the environment. I'm sorry but if you think geocaching has any serious environmental impact you need to give your head a shake

Apparently I am too ninja for Roman :D Let me quote my earlier post to re-establish my position:

It is always good to have a discussion about appropriate containers and hear facts about potential environmental impacts. However, a solid plastic, waterproof BOX, which has not been used for food, is an extremely low-risk container. With regular maintenance checkups and some education in the community about appropriate swag (ie: no candy or anything scented), there should be no harm to the creatures in that environment.

It might be useful to consider what type of animals live near a cache location and whether they might be drawn to certain elements of a container. I believe there was a discussion a while back about some rodents likino the adhesive on the camo duct tape sometimes used to wrap containers.

We should also be aware of touching a container and its contents with trail-mix and granola bar sticky fingers!

I am home by the way :)

Knitting lentils I suppose? I like the slight irishsims ... ye ... fe*k, jaysus, etc but you've dropped those now .... shame it was a nice touch if a little cliche and a little hard to maintain on the hop.

Of course the idea that you could get anywhere near the minister for tourism was too much. Machine gunned off the doorstep is the likely outcome there if indeed you made it to the doorstep.

Well it's supposed to be warmer today but a colder night so make sure you keep the flap shut on your yurt yeah.

Good morning from Wales, UK.

I'd like to link Whoseyerwan to the UK Geocaching wiki, in particular this section:

Why your cache may not be published.

"Plastic bags (zip lock, carrier bags or bin bags) are entirely unsuitable as either camouflage or protection as they are often biodegradable and after only a few days will become wet and messy and unpleasant to unwrap. They eventually just become plastic litter... If your cache is in such a bag it won't be published until the bag has been removed. In addition, caches wrapped in a plastic bag could be mistaken for a 'suspect' package. Always make sure your container is clearly labelled. "

Very occasionally one still comes across a geocache in a plastic bag in UK. Why? Because in the early days of geocaching (in UK) cachers would sometimes wrap their sturdy plastic container in a plastic bag, or black bin bag, in the mistaken belief it would give added protection from the elements. (You'll know all about those "elements" in western Ireland). In fact the additional plastic bags only hold wetness around the cache and attract colonies of slugs and snails which love them. (At least they were approved by our slimy wildlife.) So now most UK geocachers are wiser and have taken on board the No Plastic Bags guideline. UK cachers are encouraged to remove any plastic bags around caches and dispose of them appropriately.

Caches are not individually inspected by the volunteer geocache reviewers before being published to the geocaching.com site so a reviewer will not know whether there's a plastic bag around a cache unless the cache owner mentions it in their cache description. If it's mentioned then the reviewer will ask for the bag to removed before pressing the publish button. If another geocacher finds a plastic-wrapped cache and reports it to the local reviewer then that cache will be temporarily disabled and, again, the cache owner will be asked to remove it before the listing is activated once more.

Also please note that although I refer above to the UK geocaching wiki and guidelines, be assured that the reviewers for Ireland (they cover both Northern Ireland and Eire) follow the same guidelines.

MrsB

There are land managers that want to have a clear container so the cache is not mistaken for a bomb. And to allow people to look inside before opening - perhaps so that a bomb is not mistaken for a cache. But plastic bags are frowned upon. A sturdy lock n lock container is often used.

Yes. In the UK (actually in Great Britain), we have an explicit local guideline against plastic bags. Rule 9 in this list

Also see rule 8: "Caches should not be hidden in animal holes or runs." So we are thinking about the animals.

I can understand the environmental concern. The idea of putting something made of plastic in the woods isn't "natural". Nor is a container made of metal with a rubber seal. The fact is the game requires hiding a container, and those need to be durable and waterproof. Plastic is an ideal material and is the basis of many geocaches.

As has been mentioned, in general Geocachers as a group do care about the environment, and often collect rubbish they find when geocaching. So we feel that on balance, we do more good than harm. Though nobody has data on the collective mass of the 2.5 million geocaches in the world vs the mass of rubbish removed by geocachers since geocaching started.

It then becomes a bit of a philosophical argument. Man alters the natural environment to suit humanity, and that includes recreation. Animals are displaced for both housing estates and golf courses. One can argue that people need housing, but do we NEED golf courses? I'm not wanting to pick on golf courses.. it's just one example of something which altered the environment (and likely displaced some animals) for the entertainment of humans. Geocaching is not unique in this regard.

(Edit): Was posting at the same time as Mrs. B....

Edited by redsox_mark

I'd like to link Whoseyerwan to the UK Geocaching wiki, in particular this section:

I'm not so sure whether it is indeed just about wrapping plastic bags.

The rest is not related to your post, but just fits to this thread in general.

I recently came across a log from an Austrian cacher (and owner of several caches) who fervently defended the use of glass containers (someone else criticized such a container in one of his caches)

and argued heavily against plastic containers.

There are people in Europe who try to live with a few plastic as possible and who use alternatives wherever possible and they are pretty serious about that and far from being trolls.

It's a difficult issue. I need to admit that I not only have often come across film cans with evident traces of animal teeth, but also that for the plastic containers we used in the early years (no lock and lock available) the same happened.