Attending a Geocaching event

I did a search for this one, and nothing really came up. (If I missed a topic already posted, please feel free to remove this one and direct me towards it!)

Today I'm going to my first geocaching event in several years. (I've only been to one other.) And I have no idea what to be prepared for. It will be a regular event. (NOT a CITO, but just a dinner gathering.)

What should I bring? Do I need to bring swag, signature items, or something for the host? (I really have NO money to buy anything right now. Not even $1 to spare really.) Is there something I should watch out for that may be against the rules? (They mentioned to bring trackables there to discover. Is this okay for me to do?)

Just looking for a little guidance in preparation. I don't want to be the ONLY one there who didn't bring a certain item or something like that!

The answer is going to totally depend on the tradition in your local area.

Over here the only thing you need to bring is a smile :) and a willingness to chat to people. If you have any travel bugs (either ones you recently picked up or your own bugs that you keep in your posession) then take them along. As for discovering the trackables at the event, yes you are free to discover them, and maybe take some away with you.

Have a look at some past events in the area and read some of the logs, that might give you an idea of what the tradition is. I would say write a "will attend" note saying you're new to the event scene and I'm sure people will welcome you when you turn up.

My suggestion: if there are any caches that you're having a hard time with, bring them up there. In my experience, geocachers LOVE to help one another out, and more than likely someone will be willing to give you hints if you want them.

Otherwise, as previously mentioned, unless the cache page says otherwise, all you really need to bring is yourself. I like to bring any trackables I might have for others to discover, and a pen and paper to write numbers down for any trackables that others bring.

Have fun!

The event description will tell you everything you need to know. If you're not sure, ask the host directly. If you have no money, you may feel out of place in a restaurant where everyone is buying food.

Most of the COG events now include this text for events held in restaurants:

We typically reserve 40-50 seats at the event location

Please log your Will Attend and indicate the number of folks in your party.

If things are looking to be full, you are always welcome to stop by and say "Hi" to log your attend.

We've done that, but didn't log the event as "attended". We showed up at the location, met up with the host, and went on our way.

B.

The event description will tell you everything you need to know. If you're not sure, ask the host directly. If you have no money, you may feel out of place in a restaurant where everyone is buying food.

Most of the COG events now include this text for events held in restaurants:

We typically reserve 40-50 seats at the event location

Please log your Will Attend and indicate the number of folks in your party.

If things are looking to be full, you are always welcome to stop by and say "Hi" to log your attend.

We've done that, but didn't log the event as "attended". We showed up at the location, met up with the host, and went on our way.

B.

It depends on the event. I've been to events at restaurants where dropping in was fine, and I've been to others where it really didn't work. It's just something to be aware of.