Zone 'in range'

Vooruit!

The Wherigo I'm working on consists of zones that have to be visible at all times, and 'item' zones, that should be visible only when you're at most 100 meters away from them. Using Urwigo, I thought I'd use the 'In range' setting, and sure enough, both the emulator and the WhereYouGo Android app show the behavior I aim for.

nbaxqp.jpg

So far, so good, but unfortunately the iPhone app seems to ignore this setting? I made a friend do a test run of the cartridge, and she just sees every zone, no matter the distance!

Am I overlooking something, or this is another item of the list of differences between the various Wherigo devices...?

edit: I know the image says the selected zone is inactive; it gets activated programmatically when entering the initial zone.

Edited by Vooruit!

Is there any way I can run the iPhone app in Windows, with an emulator or something?

Boy, was developing ever frustrating! Different devices that behave differently, with no way of knowing beforehand if and how the cartridge will work... and knowing no one with a Garmin, I won't be able to test, let alone support those devices at all.

The whole concept of Wherigo is just so promising, but as things stand right now, it's just one big disappointment. There ought to be zillions of Wherigos out there, but in fact there are only a couple of 'em, and that's in the Netherlands, an extremely densely populated country with a thriving community.

OK, having vented my frustrations :), I still would really appreciate some feedback on my question in the first post. All things considered, I really want to publish that first Wherigo, with hopefully many more to come! Lack of creativity is certainly not the issue here...!

Thanks guys!

First of all you should remember, that zones are only checked, if they are active, regardless if they are visible or not. If I understand you correct, you use the OnProximity event to show the zone. Is this correct? And the most important question: what is the problem on iPhone?

It would be nice, if you could create a short test cartridge and upload it, so I could test it.

And no, there is no iPhone emulator for Windows. If you need one, you need a Mac :)

Maybe it's not a problem, but just something I took for granted using the emulator and WhereYouGo.

What I would like is some zones to become visible only when you're at most 100 meters away from them. I thought (incorrectly?) the Urwigo setting 'In range' was supposed to make it work like that. The 'On distant' and 'On proximity' events are empty, i.e. not defined.

Again: in the emulator and on Android, it works as desired, but on the iPhone, not so. Should I use the 'On distant' or 'On proximity' event? But then, how would I hide the zone again when the distance becomes more than 100 meters, since there is no 'Out of distance' event?

I'll make a test cartridge, thanks in advance!

Here's a stripped version of my cartridge.

To illustrate, here are 2 screenshots of the emulator.

First, we're at approx. 150 meters distance from the zone 'Emmer dode vis'. There's only one zone visible: Haaienmeer.

3532yqs.jpg

Now, I've moved the little dude to less than 100 meters from the zone 'Emmer dode vis'. Now it has become visible!

2628f7p.jpg

Strange, that this works on any device ;)

Normally you get the following events from outside to inside: OnDistant, OnProximity, OnEnter and in the other direction: OnExit, OnProximity, OnDistant. If you want to make your zone visible, you should do this in OnProximity and make it invisible in OnDistant. That should work. But be carefull: use only Visible, not Active to set the zone to invisible.

Just want to say thanks once again, both to you, charlenni, and others that have helped me in other threads. My first Wherigo has just been published, and the first log is already quite encouraging! On Garmins though, the cartridge crashes immediately, but that was to be expected, having 10+ zones active at the same time. I cannot be bothered by that however, everyone having a smartphone anyway.