Going Ape 2015 (GC5F58Q) August 16, 2015

WSGA

Welcome to the Going Ape 2015 Mega Event Carpool and planning thread. With our event held in conjunction with Groundspeak’s Block Party, and nestled in picturesque Snoqualmie Pass, we realize that many out-of-town guests will be joining us this year. Unfortunately transportation to the event can be a bit of a difficulty. Despite being just blocks from I-90, there is no bus service to the Pass and the event is held slightly over 50 miles from downtown Seattle.

In order to get to the event a car or other ride is a must so please feel free to post here if you are coming to our event and are looking for a ride, if you are a local and are willing to give one of our out-of-town guests a ride (both ways of course) from the greater eastside, or if you already have a car reserved and want to carpool and split the gas money with another cacher.

Greetings from Finland. I will be attending the going ape event and I would be extremely happy if someone/someones could carpool with me.

I'd need a very early ride from Seattle to the event site, and from there an early ride to Seattle International airport. My flight leaves at 4.30 pm.

Or if there are other persons going to the airport at around the same time (at 1.30-2pm maybe), we could rent a car together or share a taxi. Thanks, raturat (Turku, Finland)

At early planning stage but I hope to visit from the UK and would need transport from the University area of Seattle.

As stands I am a single entity but working on getting others to share my accomodation.

I would also (on a separate day) like to attempt seeking GCD - Geocache.

I'm aged 60+ so it could be quite a slow hike for me but hopeful of achieving it.

If you are able to help out with transport to either or just have handy advice or tips I welcome such to my inbox.

Thanks in anticipation Malpas Wanderer (Reading, United Kingdom)

Hi, so I'm going to be in town for the Block Party and I'd love to drive anyone who'd like to come up to attempt GCD in the morning. I will be renting a car, BUT my flight out is going to be Sunday evening. That means I will be returning to Seattle by 3pm at the latest, leaving the mega by 2 at the latest. I can drop you off at a hotel or landmark of your choice (including Sea-Tac). :lol:

I'm a safe, native driver, and I lived in the Northwest for five years, so I know about driving mountain passes.

If you are interested in ride-sharing (gas money gladly accepted), I will probably have a sedan sized car, (4 passengers max, if you're friendly) Please message me directly on gc.com if you'd like. Otherwise, find me at the Block Party. I'll be wearing a purple sparkly name-tag with a lavender backpack and carrying a walking-stick.

-sam521

Greetings from Finland. I will be attending the going ape event and I would be extremely happy if someone/someones could carpool with me.

I'd need a very early ride from Seattle to the event site, and from there an early ride to Seattle International airport. My flight leaves at 4.30 pm.

Or if there are other persons going to the airport at around the same time (at 1.30-2pm maybe), we could rent a car together or share a taxi. Thanks, raturat (Turku, Finland)

Actually, that schedule works *beautifully* for me. My flight is at 5. If you want to come up to the Mega when I'm attempting GCD, I might just be the lift for you!

(Also, my uncle's wife is a Finn, just throwing that out there.)

Alright, I am posting this message to let everyone know that I now have a full car for the ride up. Nordic countries, represent!

However, another offer. If you are an international cacher and want to purchase a Northwest Forest Pass for parking in the trailhead but don't want international bank fees for a small purchase, I will be buying at least two extra passes since they are not available on site.

If you message me by July 15th, I will order one for you and bring it to the Block Party or the morning hike. (I don't want to end up with a bunch of them that will go unused.) Email works great or PM me through the message center.

My wife and I are coming from Minnesota for the Block Party, but she has no desire to walk through the tunnel. I on the other hand am hoping to find a ride to the event and find the replacement Ape Cache.

Please contact me if you have an extra seat you are willing to let me fill.

Thanks,

m&m o

I am coming from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Ideally I will share my ride down there with some locals but if not I am open to meeting up with cachers on my way down or even splitting gas/drives with others once I am in the Seattle area. Don't have a huge car but Elantra can sit four comfortably and I have a roof rack for extra cargo space. Message me if this is of interest to you.

My wife and I are coming from Minnesota for the Block Party, but she has no desire to walk through the tunnel. I on the other hand am hoping to find a ride to the event and find the replacement Ape Cache.

Please contact me if you have an extra seat you are willing to let me fill.

Thanks,

m&m o

Thanks folks, I have a ride and am looking forward to a long, chilly, drippy, dark hike.

m&m o

I'm coming to the block party with my husband and son and plan on doing the tunnel of light/ape cache on sunday. I don't believe this would be a good idea for my 18month old so he and my husband will be hanging out in Bothell. I am looking for a ride out to iron horse in the morning. I don't need a ride back because my husband and son will pick me up. I'm flexible on the pickup time, I only care that I get there before the event starts :) I'll be happy to pitch in a couple of bucks for gas/parking. Please contact me if you can help! Thanks!

Edited by angelatthegate

My girlfriend (noblebeast) and I are taking the train down from Vancouver, BC for the Block Party but we need a ride to and from the Going Ape Mega Event. Does anyone have room in their car for two thirty-somethings who like to find caches and treasure? We'll be staying in Fremont and will chip in for gas & parking. Let me know. We'd hate to miss out on that big ol' Tunnel.

Thanks,

Steve

Looking to see if a cacher from the area would be willing and able to pick my husband and I (and our bikes) up from Rattlesnake Lake Park the morning of the event so we can leave our rental at the lake and bike from the event back to our car. I know it is a lot to ask as we really can't provide anything in return (besides gas money!) but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for anyone traveling past exit 32 on the way to the event. Oh, I could also sweeten the deal with Pathtags and trackables!!

I was very excited to discover a bike rental option in Seattle but bummed when my husband reminded me of the dilemma of not having two cars :(

Pretty please? Thank you :)

My wife and I will be attending the Going Ape 2015 event. We would be keen to carpool with someone who doesn't mind a couple of Aussies sharing a ride out and back. Thanks, Wazza&Kara (Cairns, Queensland, Australia).

We (my wife and I) plan on making a day of it. After going through the tunnel and doing the lab caches we will be heading over to GCD and go for that cache as well. We are renting a vehicle and will bring one person back with us. It is a five passenger vehicles so it might be a little cozy going back. We could drop you off where ever you need to go. The other person needs to go to Bellevue. I don't know the area very well and will be relying on NUVi for directions. We are staying in the Queen Anne area. Let us know. (G.A.S.P.) Omaha, Nebraska.

Not specifically related to this Mega, but is the I90 to Mercer Island currently a toll road or not?

Thanks

No, No portion of I-90 in Washington is a toll road.

Highway 520 that also runs west to east between Seattle and Bellevue is a toll road however. It is set up to toll by plate, you pay a bit more then having a "good to go" pass but anyone can use it.

Looking to see if a cacher from the area would be willing and able to pick my husband and I (and our bikes) up from Rattlesnake Lake Park the morning of the event so we can leave our rental at the lake and bike from the event back to our car. I know it is a lot to ask as we really can't provide anything in return (besides gas money!) but I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience for anyone traveling past exit 32 on the way to the event. Oh, I could also sweeten the deal with Pathtags and trackables!!

I was very excited to discover a bike rental option in Seattle but bummed when my husband reminded me of the dilemma of not having two cars :(

Pretty please? Thank you :)

If no other options are found you can try contacting this company

http://compassoutdooradventures.com/snoqualmie-tunnel-bike-shuttle/

They perform shuttle services.

Hello there!

By any chance anyone heading to the GCD group hike Sunday morning at 6:30am before the mega event? If so, and you have a spare seat for a passenger I would be grateful to join you! I can chip in with gas money/parking pass money etc! Coming from downtown Seattle like most of you awesome cachers! Thank you in advance!

Also in addition I might also be able to get a ride back from the mega so as long as I can get a ride to the GCD hike I'll be good!

Hello everyone,

We are traveling from Courtenay BC to Seattle for the Mega event. We are coming from Victoria on the clipper and we will not have a vehicle. We are hoping to be able to attend the Going Ape event on Sunday and was wondering if my dad and I could catch a ride there and back with someone? Willing to pitch in with gas and parking money. Thank you please let us know.

Raakea (Ross & Kylea)

Hello everyone,

We are traveling from Courtenay BC to Seattle for the Mega event. We are coming from Victoria on the clipper and we will not have a vehicle. We are hoping to be able to attend the Going Ape event on Sunday and was wondering if my dad and I could catch a ride there and back with someone? Willing to pitch in with gas and parking money. Thank you please let us know.

Raakea (Ross & Kylea)

Do you still need two seats?

I am a geocacher from Germany and will have a rental car to join the Washington event on Sunday. I have three free seats. Please send me a message if you need a seat... Looking forward to this great event!

Hey stellarissa. My girlfriend and I still need a ride to and from the Sunday event, if you'd let us join you.

Hello everyone,

Raakea (Ross & Kylea)

Do you still need two seats?

Hi there stellarissa,

We are still looking for a ride and would really appreciate if you could help us out if 2 seats are still available? Thank you, hope to hear from you :)

Raakea

Hoping this is not too late. If possible I would like to carpool out to the APE cache. We are staying in Seattle and will be at the Block Party on Saturday. If I can't hitch a ride then I will be taking our van and will have multiple seats available. Let me know through a message with geocaching.com. Thanks!

I am a geocacher from Germany and will have a rental car to join the Washington event on Sunday. I have three free seats. Please send me a message if you need a seat... Looking forward to this great event!

Hey stellarissa. My girlfriend and I still need a ride to and from the Sunday event, if you'd let us join you.

Hi Steve,

Do you still have room for one more on sunday?

Please ;et me know.

gr, Sybolt (from The Netherlands)