This one has me intrigued

Harry Dolphin

KV3999. Katler. (Forgot how to put the NGS url in here...) GC PID KV3999

In 1933 (or thereabouts)Coast and Geodetic Survey put a lot of stations along the Passaic River, in New Jersey. Most of them were destroyed when the state built Rte 21 along the west side of the Passaic River, between 1927 and 1953.

This is one section of the Old River Road where Re 21 did not seem to destroy the old River Road. This one appears to be a triangulation station. The coords should be very accurate? Someone hid a cache with what appears to be almost identical coords: 05 Keys To The City - Dead End

Most everything in the benchmark listing is probably gone.

The last people to find the cache reported:

Found it. Now this was an interesting event. As I made the find a police officer pulled up behind me. Handed him my ID and papers, as two other officers pulled up. One of them kind a new what geocaching was, the others not. Was questioned for several minutes, then told to wait in my car. About 10 minutes later the officer came up and gave me my stuff back. He said right near this location several bodies over the years I have been dumped, and if anyone sees any handguns in the woods in that area to give them a call. I personally am not going back to this area. I hope the rest of the series goes smoother. TFTC.

3" underground in 1933. 6" underground in 1934. Not logged since 1934.

We haven't benchmarked in a while. Any advice on this one?

KV3999. Katler. (Forgot how to put the NGS url in here...) GC PID KV3999

In 1933 (or thereabouts)Coast and Geodetic Survey put a lot of stations along the Passaic River, in New Jersey. Most of them were destroyed when the state built Rte 21 along the west side of the Passaic River, between 1927 and 1953.

This is one section of the Old River Road where Re 21 did not seem to destroy the old River Road. This one appears to be a triangulation station. The coords should be very accurate? Someone hid a cache with what appears to be almost identical coords: 05 Keys To The City - Dead End

Most everything in the benchmark listing is probably gone.

The last people to find the cache reported:

Found it. Now this was an interesting event. As I made the find a police officer pulled up behind me. Handed him my ID and papers, as two other officers pulled up. One of them kind a new what geocaching was, the others not. Was questioned for several minutes, then told to wait in my car. About 10 minutes later the officer came up and gave me my stuff back. He said right near this location several bodies over the years I have been dumped, and if anyone sees any handguns in the woods in that area to give them a call. I personally am not going back to this area. I hope the rest of the series goes smoother. TFTC.

3" underground in 1933. 6" underground in 1934. Not logged since 1934.

We haven't benchmarked in a while. Any advice on this one?

Mr. Dolphin, Get a metal detector to use there. They were known to place many underground marks at that time. The detector is to check for a surface mark that may have been covered over through the years. As you know a great many triangulation stations had buried marks with a surface mark set directly over the buried mark. The coordinates should be very accurate if it is truly a triangulation station, hence the need for the metal detector.

John

Check for RM2 and any remaining evidence of the buildings or tank foundation.

If all the reference object ties are gone, then the best technique is to take averaged GPS readings for some identifiable spot nearby on multiple occasions. Comparing the average of those to the disk coordinates will tell you how far to measure over to your best estimate of the disk location. Then a metal detector and probe would be tools of choice.

Myself, I'd give strong consideration to skipping a disk on the edge of a 50 ft cliff, or one where it is known the police show up and question anyone in the area. Also, consider whether digging is going to antagonize anyone or make the police more suspicious.

Edited by Bill93