WNY/Buffalo Event? quilts n more

DxChallenged

Hey! I'm back!! Slowly recovering from our move, Christmas and finishing 6 quilts by Christmas....

In the midst of caching 1 time a week and wanting to cache more, we had a newbee e-mail us. It ended up that he is a free lance reporter for the Buffalo News. He mentioned one of our caches in his article....and at the same time said that the only disadvantage for family geocaching would be that the family would have to buy a GPS (I'm thinking any sport has an investment attached....soccer cleats, football gear heck how much does all that hockey stuff cost??). So I have been mulling over that and also wondering what my next quilt project will be.....and on top of that a regional club thing has been bouncing around.

So here are my ideas.

1. Have a Western NY cache event in say Feb, March....near my house is a free outdoor ice rink that is part of a county park. It has a very nice club house that is heated and has a kitchen. The club house is free to the public all winter long.

2. Post a time for cachers to come and then an hour or so latter open it up to the public. Sign up volunteer cachers to take potential cachers out.....This way the initial investement for them would be nill. I must say Fearless and the rest of my clan are all to ready to talk about caching. Even Sweety can go on for hours about it!

3. How about a photo quilt for the next geocaching quilt project?

Many cachers take pictures, don't know what to do with the px taken with the disposable cameras in their caches, take some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen and hey the beauty of geocaching is discovering amazing places that one would not have seen had it not been for the sport....So perhaps a contest....I'de need 18 photos...ones voted the best could be in the quilt....and yes you can wash these quilts....

So HEY! Watchya all think? Any interest?

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Sounds great!! I would be willing to help you with any and all details. If we look at late March then the Cross Country Travel Bug Race counld use the Gathering as a start point too!

I especially like the idea of pairing up newbies with an established cacher to give them a taste of the sport. Only problem is that all the footprints in the snow will be a dead give away for the cache locations. How about a series of small micro caches placed well in advance just for the newbies to hunt?

Hey Geoaddict. I'm so glad that you posted! It ends up that within the next few days we will be posting an event cache. So hopefully I will be able to meet up with you and a number of other cachers.

The Erie county parks department is holding Winterfest this month. I went to the informational meeting last Thursday. Besides being a geocacher I am also a director in Town's Chamber of Commerce. I went to the meeting as I had offered to volunteer my time at the event. It ends up that the Parks ranger, Events planner and County Park Commisioner were there. They were all requesting events for families.......As it is the event is free to the public and will be held at our outdoor iceskating rink (adjacent to the heated club house). So I plan on calling the ranger today to get apporval to post the event for an event cache.........It should be awesome!! They offered free table space if geocachers wanted to have materials explaining our sport .....more information and hopfully an event cache to be posted in the next few days......

Winterfest in Akron Falls Park will be held on Jan. 18th from 12-5

Hope to see many cachers there!!

Dx

Oh yeah and the quilts......Fearless Leader, the love of my life and GPS expert, made me a quilt book for Christmas. It has pictures of several of the quilts that I have made in the past 2 years (as long as I have been an active quilter).

Wow!! A great idea just occured to me. Our log book for the cache could consist of an unsigned signature quilt. Then when the cache is over my family of geocachers could present the quilt to the county parks commissioner.......Now that would be a nice piece of pr for the sport icon_biggrin.gif

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Hi Deb,

This sounds like a great event and a great piece of PR. I will be watching for the date of this event and if it's doable maybe I can talk a few local cachers from around here to make a road trip. What do you think Planet...Eagleflyby...anyone else? The snow these days is hindering the cache hunt around here, maybe a road trip and meet is what the cache Dr. ordered? I'd love to be a part of a positive PR experience to bring home with us. It would be fun to finally meet you too icon_smile.gif

hmmm...but this is county parks...around here county parks have the attitude that the parks are souly for county residents and won't allow geocaching because of all the outsiders the big bad internet would attract. Are your county parks open to nonresidents?

Oh Man!!! Teepee, it would be so great to meet up this you and other cachers!!

The event is a go. I called the park ranger yesterday. He thought it was a great idea and gave his approval......he esp. liked the part of having cachers sign a quilt to be given to his boss....pr is a wonderful thing!!!

I posted the event yesterday he it is

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=49196

Hope to see lots of cachers there!!!

Dx

Hey....the county event is free and open to everyone.

The park ranger thought that having cachers come from outside Erie county would be an excellent idea.

As a matter of fact, now the parks have been asked to keep track of the numbers of people who attend their events, which parks are used the most and what groups of people use them.....Families, couples, dog lovers ect......

so doing the quilt adds to that piece as well.

I can't wait to see who showes up!!

Dx

I'm still in Paris until the 22nd and I'm going to miss this event! This is a real bummer icon_frown.gif

On the positive side of things, I'll be hiding one of the few real caches near Paris (maintained by family members on my behalf) :-)

I wish I were there.

Fabien.

A cache a day keeps the blues away...

Sorry Dx does not look like I'm going to be able to make it. I didn't realize the date when I expressed my interest, I am going to be up around the Utica area this weekend...part way there but I'm not going to be able to make it the rest of the way. Snowmobiling weekend with friends. Sorry, hopefully next time