I just don't get the point

larkspeed

I really don't get the point of logging a travel bug that you have not seen.

I have a travel bug that that is not in the wild as such but attached to my car, this would mean you would have to see my car to see the travel bug.

I have had someone log it, I high find premium member I might add, that is from Florida, I am in The Netherlands.

When I asked them how they could have possibly seen my travel bug in The Netherlands and also logged finds in Florida on the same day they informed me that they saw a picture of my travel bug "somewhere on the net"

Now I find this excuse dubious at best considering the only picture I have put out there has the number edited out and the only two people to log it are both people that I have spoken to personally and know for a fact they never took a picture of it.

But lets just assume for a moment that there is a picture out there with the number visible, why would you log a discovery on a travel bug that you have not seen yourself, IMO it's the same as logging a find on a cache when you have not signed the log book.

I have of course deleted the log entry.

It just raises the question of how many of this persons "finds" are in fact real and not just made up.

Edited by larkspeed
It just raises the question of how many of this persons "finds" are in fact real and not just made up.

There are several logs on my "Missing" TBs, logs like "I probably saw this somewhere, somewhen", no specifics, no photos, and posted after the TBs are long gone. I'd prefer that people would attempt to resist that kind of thing. If it's a log about a "Trackable", it should be information that helps track it. If it's from a list of numbers, or just from hacking numbers, that's not tracking, that's all about the "discoverer" himself [saying "I'm in the Netherlands" or whatever]. And it becomes ever harder to decide if a log is "bogus".

But since many TB tracking numbers are published by TOs for the purpose of accruing points, all TBs appear to be fair game now.

Edited by kunarion

Also remember because caches of trackable are logged the same day, doesn't mean they where found the same day. Some people may be travelling for whatever reason, and doing some caching, but not logging until they get home, and not changing the date. I know this went the case this time, but the act logging caches/trackables far apart the same day doesnt nessesarily mean someone is cheating.

I personally think it depends what the owner wants. If the owner of the trackable uploads a photo and says something along the lines of 'Feel free to discover' on a social network, then I believe that this is acceptable. But if it doesn't say this anywhere, I agree with you, it shouldn't be logged. I wouldn't be happy with random people logging a trackable which I didn't want lots of people to log.

Edited by JamesA60

I personally think it depends what the owner wants. If the owner of the trackable uploads a photo and says something along the lines of 'Feel free to discover' on a social network, then I believe that this is acceptable. But if it doesn't say this anywhere, I agree with you, it shouldn't be logged. I wouldn't be happy with random people logging a trackable which I didn't want lots of people to log.

Cool. I want all my TBs to be placed into caches, back in play. :ph34r:

But if it doesn't say this anywhere

I'm up to seven paragraphs of TB etiquette, just about things that I'd expect honest people would do. Are you sure it helps to "say it"?

Edited by kunarion

I think the point is everyone plays this game differently, and nobody wants to be told how to play it yet there seems to be plenty of cachers out there who want to tell others how, in their opinion, it should be played. Once something, like a tracking number, is in the public domain you cannot control what others do with it. Enjoy playing the game your way and don't worry how others play even if you think they are "doing it wrong". Once you start to fret about how the world doesn't do things how you would do them you are going to end up wasting a lot of time fretting. Just enjoy doing things your way and have fu, it's just a game.

I personally think it depends what the owner wants. If the owner of the trackable uploads a photo and says something along the lines of 'Feel free to discover' on a social network, then I believe that this is acceptable.

I'll grudgingly concede "acceptable" for this case, but I still don't understand why anyone would do it.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what the owner wants. My mother has a trackable that apparently someone posted a picture of on a FB page in Germany. She gets discoveries all the time on it from people who never saw the actual trackable. Kind of annoying since the emails don't have anything to do with the trackable moving anywhere. At the same time though, we don't care enough to track down the person who posted the picture or to delete the "discovered" logs. I don't see the point of discovering trackables or logging finds on caches I didn't find, but to each their own I suppose.

Well, sites like Project-GC has broken geocaching in very many ways. Power trails, mass discoveries, streaking etc.

Depends how you look at it.

I update my stats after every caching weekend (FSG macro in GSAK) but consider the stats a reflection of my caching activity and not a goal for future caching trips. However, I would like to have founds for caches that are in blank "hidden on" months.

As for logging founds or discovered logs on TBs or caches you haven't physically found, that's sad.

I think the point is everyone plays this game differently, and nobody wants to be told how to play it yet there seems to be plenty of cachers out there who want to tell others how, in their opinion, it should be played. Once something, like a tracking number, is in the public domain you cannot control what others do with it. Enjoy playing the game your way and don't worry how others play even if you think they are "doing it wrong". Once you start to fret about how the world doesn't do things how you would do them you are going to end up wasting a lot of time fretting. Just enjoy doing things your way and have fu, it's just a game.

Well said.

Sounded (to me) like the OP did enjoy doing things his way.

- But a cheat entering his playing field interrupted that enjoyment.

And like most games, the cheats are asked to leave. :)

A lot of people log these items as discovered for the icons, or the number game of finding X number of trackables. I recently created a trackable page where the intent is to allow people to virtually log, if they complete the cache page goal. For this particular bug, I want people to merely share their story on the cache page. The more logs I get, the more stories I'll have. For some strange reason, though, I can't seem to get any logs on it… Interesting how that works, no?

To me, virtual (read fake) discoveries are the same as logging a cache as found even though you never really did so. Sure geocaching is only a game but all games have rules. I have a hand crafted trackable that only goes to Groundspeak's yearly mega event here in Seattle. But the continual fake discoveries it gets from people in Germany breaks, at least, the spirit of the rules. It pisses me off that I can't do anything to stop it... Other than delete these bs logs each time - or sadly - archive the trackable. The latter is seriously becoming an option if something doesn't change.