Buckeyes as Swag

irid3sc3nt

I have a bag full of buckeyes that I collected quite a while ago. I would like to put each individual into a small plastic baggie and leave them in caches (not for trade). However, I read up on buckeyes and it turns out they are deathly toxic if put in the mouth. I'm thinking either I could put a warning label inside the baggies or I could not use them as swag at all.

Thoughts?

I have a bag full of buckeyes that I collected quite a while ago. I would like to put each individual into a small plastic baggie and leave them in caches (not for trade). However, I read up on buckeyes and it turns out they are deathly toxic if put in the mouth. I'm thinking either I could put a warning label inside the baggies or I could not use them as swag at all.

Thoughts?

Not.

From Are there rules? http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=539

If you take a trinket from the geocache, leave something family-friendly of equal or greater value. Avoid placing food or scented items as these attract animals.

I'd say Deathly Toxic is NOT family friendly.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

whoa!

Around here we called then Horse Chestnuts, and we played with them all the time growing up! Every year! We would even hollow them out and put a hollow stick in one side and make pipes out of them. If they're so deathly toxic, I'm surprised any of us survived!

Be that as it may ... not a good idea for a cache. Some critters eat them, and that doesn't play well with a geocache!

Edited by BC & MsKitty

As an Ohio State University graduate (they call us Buckeyes around here), I can confirm that the nut of the buckeye tree is not "deathly toxic". I've collected thousands of them in my day. I have a couple of dozen sitting around here at home. They're perfectly safe to carry around and to have in your hands. I wouldn't want to try eating or even biting into one of them (you could break a tooth). I suppose if someone were determined enough, they could manage to bite into one, but the worst that would likely do is make them sick enough that they'll wish they hadn't. They're also reported to taste pretty awful.

I would also agree that they're not appropriate as cache swag. It's not any toxic effect that would concern me, it's the fact that critters like them too much. There's no accounting for taste. :rolleyes:

--Larry

I agree with larryc even though he went to OSU. :)

You sound like a Michigan fan. :D

--Larry

Well there's your solution. Next time you go geocaching in Michigan, bring along those buckeyes and drop one in every cache you find. If they turn out to be deathly toxic, they'd mostly likely be found by a Michigan fan.

:lol:

I'm tempted, but there's already enough faux animosity between us and "That school up north". Heaven knows what they'd throw back at us if I lobbed buckeyes at them.

Besides, Ohio and Michigan have already fought a war (sort of ) over Toledo, of all places. Don't want to stir up those hard feelings again.

--Larry

--Larry

Well there's your solution. Next time you go geocaching in Michigan, bring along those buckeyes and drop one in every cache you find. If they turn out to be deathly toxic, they'd mostly likely be found by a Michigan fan.

I'm tempted, but there's already enough faux animosity between us and "That school up north". Heaven knows what they'd throw back at us if I lobbed buckeyes at them.

Besides, Ohio and Michigan have already fought a war (sort of ) over Toledo, of all places. Don't want to stir up those hard feelings again.

--Larry

Michigan won, huh, since Toledo is in Ohio. ;-)

--Larry

--Larry

The Cornell vs. Harvard hockey rivalry dates back to 1910. In 1973 students from Harvard tried to disparage the academic level of Cornell, and targeted the fact that many players were in the Agriculture school by throwing a dead chicken at the Cornell goalie at a game in Harvard. In retaliation, when Harvard came to Lynah rink students threw fish on the ice when the Harvard team came out. There were questions regarding why fish were throw and that it as in reference to the New England seafood industry, but it turned out that the students just wanted something disgusting and smelly.

The Cornell vs. Harvard hockey rivalry dates back to 1910. In 1973 students from Harvard tried to disparage the academic level of Cornell, and targeted the fact that many players were in the Agriculture school by throwing a dead chicken at the Cornell goalie at a game in Harvard. In retaliation, when Harvard came to Lynah rink students threw fish on the ice when the Harvard team came out. There were questions regarding why fish were throw and that it as in reference to the New England seafood industry, but it turned out that the students just wanted something disgusting and smelly.

Ah, the fine and honorable traditions of college athletics. :P

--larry