Best Caching Spot

nikcap

Inspired by the "Would you move to a location with better cache numbers" thread in the General forum ... it got us wondering, what is the best cache spot in the North East? How about New Jersey?

Baldpate Mountain near Lambertville is pretty good, there's 6 or 7 caches there that you can hit in a couple hours or so. Talk about a great way to spend your *extended* lunch hour (if you work in the Princeton/Trenton area) icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

... it got us wondering, what is the best cache spot in the North East? How about New Jersey?

I'm certainly not going to knock my home state, because we've got some great cache locations (and cache placers) here ... but my two favorite areas for geocaching are:

Harriman State Park (New York ... at least a dozen caches, but it'll take more than a trip or two to gather them all.)

Breakneck Ridge/NY Highlands State Park/Storm King (New York ... both sides of the Hudson River from the Bear Mountain Bridge northward. Some of the most awesome views, and caches featuring rewarding hikes to reach those views.)

One won't find too many dash-n-grabs in those areas! icon_smile.gif

Ramapo Mountain State Forest along with the adjoining Ramapo Valley Reservation and Ringwood State parks have a good number of quality caches. Also an interesting variety of terrain and some excellent views. I counted 14 caches in this section of the state.

There are also quite a few caches, I counted 16 or so on the map, along, or near the Palisades in NJ and southern NY.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 16, 2002 at 12:06 PM.]

I think cache density usually reflects population density, so as one of the most populous states in the union, New Jersey has plenty. The question is which areas combine good cache numbers, along with caches with good scenic and wilderness values. The Hudsdon Highlands offer both, but I haven't cached anywhere else, so I don't feel qualified to say that my area is the best. To me, to view the question purely in terms of numbers is to miss the point. The point being which area offers the best caching experience. From my point of view, urban or suburban caches often offer little more than caching from the automobile, which does nothing for me. Perhaps if heavy snow blankets the mountains, I will turn to these more snow free urban caches, but to me it will always remain a distant second in my preferences.

The Pequannock watershed property mananged by the

NWCDC has over 35,000 acres of the closest thing to wilderness in north Jersey. By my count there are only 4 caches there.

I guess the chief reason that the area isn't popular among Geocachers, is that a permit is required to hike on the property. It's easy enough to get however and is only $8 and grants you access to this beautiful and uncrowded area.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 16, 2002 at 07:34 AM.]

I mainly cache in the Hudson Highlands but have been to southern Ontario and souther Germany recently and have been caching there too.

All I can say for my personal liking I prefer the mountains.

It is just so much more rewarding to stand on the top of one having found 1 or 2 caches than hiking near suburbia and getting 5. And by now one can go into the Hudson Highlands and within 4 hours get 7 caches arround the area between Cold Spring and Break Neck Ridge.

And if JohnBoy keeps going like this, it will be quite a bit more very shortly.

On this note, I would like to thank Ttepee and JohnBoy[b/] for all these cool caches they are putting out there. icon_biggrin.gif

Great Job, the Highlands are a better place because of you all. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

For Ekitt10,

If you are looking strictly at cache density probably the best place in the Northeast is Central Park in NYC.

So far all the responses have been from hikers, and they are looking for a good hikes as well as caches. That includes us.

For those in New Jersey & nearby New York, we agree with BassoonPilot and BrianSnat, they have mentioned some great areas. Of those we like Harriman the best. Unfortunately the closest parts of Harriman are just over a two hour drive from home, while Lambertville where Ekitt10 recommends is about 45 minutes.

One great area in Pennsylvania is in State Game Land 211, in Lebanon, Dauphin and Schuylkill counties. It is loaded with old mining areas considerably larger than those of Harriman. It has interesting rock formations like China Wall and Boxcars. Lets not forget that the Appalachian Trail goes through SGL 211.

Our personal favorite in the seven states plus DC that geocaching calls the Northeast is the High Peak Areas of the Adirondacks.

What is best? Who knows?

Geocaching is fun.

It is great NJ has so many caches but how do you define BEST? I don't know.

I like a hike and a more natural area to find a cache. (But only one of the Orange and Jungle Green caches comes close to this criteria.)

I did two caches in northern Georgia that were great fun and out in the woods. One had a rifle scope as a trinket, never seen that in NJ. And the other had about $10 worth of coins in it. How long would that last in NJ.

But I choose to live in NJ and so for me it is best.

quote:
Originally posted by orange:

And the other had about $10 worth of coins in it. How long would that last in NJ.

I don't know ... but I do remember an NJ cache ("Wing and a Prayer") that contained a $20 token to the Coconuts chain of stores. I believe it remained in the cache past several visitors.

When I visited the "Monroe Ridge Micro Challenge," the original $5 prize was still there four or five months after the cache had been placed (two or three visitors); it might still be there.

And on the other side of the coin, we remember when "Alluvial Material" was stolen because someone missed out on a monetary prize. (Sorry; I've forgotten the amount, but I think it was $10 or $20.)

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

I don't know ... but I do remember an NJ cache ("Wing and a Prayer") that contained a $20 token to the Coconuts chain of stores. I believe it remained in the cache past several visitors.

When I visited the "Monroe Ridge Micro Challenge," the original $5 prize was still there four or five months after the cache had been placed (two or three visitors); it might still be there.

And on the other side of the coin, we remember when "Alluvial Material" was stolen because someone missed out on a monetary prize. (Sorry; I've forgotten the amount, but I think it was $10 or $20.)

Yes I would like to think that it would last a while even in NJ. I believe Alluvial contained $20 and then it was stolen.

The GA coin cache was most unusual it was completely in plain sight but it was well off trail in a national forest and unlikely to be happened on accidently