tradi or '?'

thepowerofthree

Hello,

We would like to put a geocache 'tradi' : Coordinates given.

But, before opening the box, which is locked, people need to solve a riddle.

Can I consider this a tradi cache (as the coordinates are given), or do I have to introduce this as a Mystery ?

Thanks !

Solange

You could also submit it as a "Traditional" with a "field puzzle".

Include the "field puzzle" attribute in your cache page submission.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/icons.aspx

field_puzzle-yes.gif

B.

Since the container is located at the posted coordinates, you should be able to list it as a traditional cache.

However, I think it could be better to list it as a mystery/puzzle cache. People looking for traditional caches often expect to show up at the posted coordinates, find the cache, and sign the log with no further complications. People looking for mystery/puzzle caches expect the cache to be more involved than that, and are more likely to appreciate an on-site puzzle of some sort.

I once went to a traditional and found a padlock on the container. Said on the cache page, which I admit I didn't read before I got there, that there was a math puzzle to solve to find the key to open the padlock. I believe I wasn't the only one not happy about it. But most of us have been caching long enough to believe it should have been a puzzle. Now I am seeing more trads being that way instead of puzzles. I have heard some were afraid to make them puzzles because of cachers that don't do puzzles.

I have heard some were afraid to make them puzzles because of cachers that don't do puzzles.
To me, this seems completely backwards. Sure, more people may attempt a cache cache labeled as a traditional, but if those who do only traditional caches are unhappy with the puzzle experience, what has been gained? It's like mislabeling micro-size containers as small caches because there are people who ignore micros.
I have heard some were afraid to make them puzzles because of cachers that don't do puzzles.
To me, this seems completely backwards. Sure, more people may attempt a cache cache labeled as a traditional, but if those who do only traditional caches are unhappy with the puzzle experience, what has been gained? It's like mislabeling micro-size containers as small caches because there are people who ignore micros.

OK. Seems, after reading all your replies, I'd better put a '?' instead of traditional. Have to think about it.

The puzzle won't be difficult. I will just lock the box (with an easy to find solution) because it will be placed in an environment with many muggles...The content of the box is something special and without locking it, I guess in a few days it will be gone. (I presume geocachers respect more the content of a box than a muggle just passing by and see what's in it). That's the reason of the lock to be found through an easy puzzle.

Thanks for all your replies ! Much appreciated !

Greetz from Bollendorf ;-)

The puzzle won't be difficult. I will just lock the box (with an easy to find solution) because it will be placed in an environment with many muggles...The content of the box is something special and without locking it, I guess in a few days it will be gone. (I presume geocachers respect more the content of a box than a muggle just passing by and see what's in it). That's the reason of the lock to be found through an easy puzzle.
My guess is that you'll need a fairly substantial lock if the reason for the lock is the muggle traffic. Sometimes a locked box can actually encourage vandalism, since there's obviously something valuable inside (otherwise, why would it be locked).

Based on my own experience... Caches that have used the kind of key safe that real estate agents use have done well; they're rather robust. Caches that have used combination bike locks have done well; when there's no bike, there's nothing of any apparent value. Caches that have used padlocks to secure metal boxes have attracted muggle attention and been forced open, unless they were hidden in such a way that only geocachers were likely to find them in the first place.

My guess is that you'll need a fairly substantial lock if the reason for the lock is the muggle traffic. Sometimes a locked box can actually encourage vandalism, since there's obviously something valuable inside (otherwise, why would it be locked).

Based on my own experience... Caches that have used the kind of key safe that real estate agents use have done well; they're rather robust. Caches that have used combination bike locks have done well; when there's no bike, there's nothing of any apparent value. Caches that have used padlocks to secure metal boxes have attracted muggle attention and been forced open, unless they were hidden in such a way that only geocachers were likely to find them in the first place.

THANKS all for the replies.

We've looked for another place to put the cache and less visible for muggles. So probably we can go without the lock.

Greetz from Bollendorf,

Solange