Obtaining written permission question

64kittygirl

I went to the Geo caching headquarters today in Seattle and I had a wonderful time. I got some questions answered and I bought a few goodies but there's one question I forgot to ask... is there a standard form to have a business sign to gain permission to place a geocache on their property? If not then what wording should it say?

I went to the Geo caching headquarters today in Seattle and I had a wonderful time. I got some questions answered and I bought a few goodies but there's one question I forgot to ask... is there a standard form to have a business sign to gain permission to place a geocache on their property? If not then what wording should it say?

A simple email exchange with the manager should cover it. Nothing detailed is needed.

Ask your reviewer what he expects you to do in his review area. In many cases a verbal confirmation will be sufficient, while some may require something written (email exchange, copy of a note, etc.).

how do I find out who my reviewer is?

Pick a fairly new cache near you. Scroll down to the first log (keep scrolling until you get to the one that says "Published". (If there is no log like that, choose another cache.) That person is the Reviewer. Click their name and send them an email through their profile link, or use the new messaging feature. Good Luck

Look at the caches near you or the place you are planning to put the cache. Preferably newer caches to see what reviewer published them. They will have an email just like other cachers. Or post a reviewers note on your cache, but don't send it to be published yet.

I looked at a few of your finds and saw three different reviewers had published caches in your area. I'm sure each will give you a similar answer.

I cannot find any names of any reviewers on anything. Could someone please just find the name of one and the email address and just post it so I can get ahold of them please? I'm in North Marysville.

1. There is no "standard form" for hiding a cache at a business. Many land managers, such State Parks in some states, have permit paperwork that you need to fill out. For the State of Washington, look here for land manager policies.

2. Rock Rabbit is one of the reviewers for Washington. You can go to the reviewer's profile page to send an email to Rock Rabbit (or any other reviewer).

3. Please, nobody post a reviewer's email address here in the forums, in order to protect against spammers. Thank you.

1. There is no "standard form" for hiding a cache at a business. Many land managers, such State Parks in some states, have permit paperwork that you need to fill out. For the State of Washington, look here for land manager policies.

2. Rock Rabbit is one of the reviewers for Washington. You can go to the reviewer's profile page to send an email to Rock Rabbit (or any other reviewer).

3. Please, nobody post a reviewer's email address here in the forums, in order to protect against spammers. Thank you.

Ok thanks

I looked at a few of your finds and saw three different reviewers had published caches in your area. I'm sure each will give you a similar answer.

I cannot find any names of any reviewers on anything. Could someone please just find the name of one and the email address and just post it so I can get ahold of them please? I'm in North Marysville.

You need to scroll to the bottom of the cache page. That may take some time, if there have been a lot of logs posted.

Just keep scrolling until you see the "publish listing" log.

B.

You need to scroll to the bottom of the cache page. That may take some time, if there have been a lot of logs posted.

B.

As a point of clarification. The publish listing log will have the reviewers user name listed to the left (and it will say "Reviewer") underneath. Clicking on the name will take you to their user profile page. From there you can click on the "Send Message" link. Although it uses email to send the message the system hides their real email address. When sending or receiving a message (generally called a PM, for Private Message) you can select a box to include your real email address but don't be surprised if a reviewer doesn't check that box when you get a response. What that means is that in you want to send another response back to the reviewer you have to go back to their user profile to send another message.

B.

As a point of clarification. The publish listing log will have the reviewers user name listed to the left (and it will say "Reviewer") underneath. Clicking on the name will take you to their user profile page. From there you can click on the "Send Message" link. Although it uses email to send the message the system hides their real email address. When sending or receiving a message (generally called a PM, for Private Message) you can select a box to include your real email address but don't be surprised if a reviewer doesn't check that box when you get a response. What that means is that in you want to send another response back to the reviewer you have to go back to their user profile to send another message.

"Private messages" are sent through the forum. Those aren't the same as emails sent via the profile page of the username.

A lot of Reviewers will post on their profile page the way they prefer folks to contact them. It might take some scrolling to get to that info, too.

B.

If a geocacher does not check the box to let me reply directly, I will likely skip answering that email in favor of answering the ones where I only need to click "reply." So, the five emails I answer in the morning before going to work will go to people who made it easy. The two people who didn't check the box? Their emails will have to wait until after dinner. Unless five more arrive during the day. So, check that box!

And, don't message a reviewer using the new messaging system, other than for very quick questions or if you're one of their caching friends asking about Saturday's hiking plans. We need to keep a searchable history of the answers we give to geocachers, the permission details forwarded to us, etc.

And, don't message a reviewer using the new messaging system, other than for very quick questions or if you're one of their caching friends asking about Saturday's hiking plans. We need to keep a searchable history of the answers we give to geocachers, the permission details forwarded to us, etc.

If this is a significant issue for reviewers there should be a notice about it on the new "message" page.

Ask your reviewer what he expects you to do in his review area. In many cases a verbal confirmation will be sufficient, while some may require something written (email exchange, copy of a note, etc.).

And always make sure you are clear with the person you are asking for permission.

"Can I hide this cache in the park?" will probably not get the same answer as "Can I hide this cache 20 feet up a tree in the park?"

That way if your reviewer asks you to clarify that the permitting person/agency has all the details, they do.

If this is a significant issue for reviewers there should be a notice about it on the new "message" page.

No worries - if someone overlooks the FAQ sentence, many reviewers have helpful form notes asking for the person to submit their question by email.

Pick any newer cache you found in your area. Scroll down to the bottom of the logs and look for a log that says reviewer. The most recent cache you found was published by Barking Frogz. Click on the name and their profile and click on send message. (as said not the new beta version)

Edited by jellis