Garmin Oregon 650

Pacar

Gawd I don't know lol. What I do know is that on both of ours caches that we knew should be on there were not. Ones that we had picked for the day. Same on the montanna. We were missing some each. Now there were at the time two reasons for this -

Firstly garmin apparently gave you a rough amount to view on the map so it did not obscure the map when you were navigating towards an area. When you got closer more appeared. We found this to be true. But it's stopped doing it now. Why pfffff maybe it was removed in an update.

Secondly - some cache filters were on which we did not notice. If you go through the menus you may see that micros have been switched to off. Or some terrain types. It was the same on both of ours like a dafault. Once we sorted that they all appeared and we have never had it happen since.

One last thing that seemed to remove some caches in a series off my folks 650 but not off ours was that we had a different setting on gsak. I'll do my best to explain.

You download your pocket query into gsak as you would normally do making sure you select the oregon 650 GPX file format instead of your old model.

Now you have them in the database.

You connect up the GPS

Select GPS from the drop down at the top and - send waypoints

A box appears send waypoints to GPS

Now on this box on the left hand side is a box that has Name on it. Someone will have a clue what that box does I certainly don't. But on our folks it had something else in there. When we changed that by accident it changed everything and caches were not downloaded. It's a long story but when I was being shown how to do all this I filmed it on the phone. I found it easier to learn. On that film I noticed on the person who showed me's gsak in that box was written this exactly - %Name

That's it. As soon as we changed it to that on the folks and on ours all caches appeared on the GPS. Wierd I know but there it is. I'll post a photo of ours and you can compare ok.

6082b04b-8cfc-4995-9d1a-bbcce0b16cf4.jpg

%Name in the name box means that GSAK will use the waypoint name as the name. If that box is blank it will name all the caches <blank>. I assume they will still all be there but as thy all have the same 'null' name you won't be able to see them in the list. You can change the %Name to other things, one of the most useful being %Smart, which will use the smart name generated by GSAK which will have the length specified in options. This is very useful for series where the start of all the names is the same.

Edited to add:-

If you want to get clever try %smart %children %smart%c_Code1 This is the one I always use and it shows child waypoint names as the same as the parent cache with A, B,C..... added on the end.

Edited by Just Roger

Thanks both for the update, but still no way to see how many caches have been loaded into the device. I've tried creating a new database in GSAK and then restore ALL geocaches from the 650 into this new database, but that doesn't work either. I guess I'm just going to have to trust that they are all there....

I don't know any way on the 600/650 to see how many caches are actually on the device.

But I have never had the situation where a cache was in my GSAK view and it didn't get included in a download to the GPS. If the GSAK "send to GPS" succeeds, I trust it.

I HAVE been in the situation in the field where I expect to have a cache on my GPS but do not.. but that has been because:

- It wasn't in my GSAK database (e.g. I thought I refreshed the database, but didn't).

- I forgot to send my latest GSAK database to the GPS

- I accidently turned on some filters on the GPS so not all of them appear