premium maps for GC.com

green-eyed

this morning when I logged in and looked around at some new caches, my home map (and other areas) shows the google map with option for map and satellite. this afternoon, it looks like the non-premium members map with all the "other" options. what happened??? are the google maps coming back?

Interesting. I had to go back to Set Map Preferences and switch back to Google too.

where is that located? it's been a while and I don't see it with the new site changes.

In the side-bar on the map (you may need to click on it if it's collapsed - click the grey green bar on the left side of the map), click Set Map Preferences.

Edit: I see the bar is green now. I'm sure it used to be grey.

Edited by The A-Team

In the side-bar on the map (you may need to click on it if it's collapsed - click the grey green bar on the left side of the map), click Set Map Preferences.

thanks. I usually have my sidebar collapsed, so I didn't see it. duh...

Before you switch back, maybe give the non-Google maps a try. They're surprisingly good.

I've been using them by choice for ages now.

I'd happily use OSM for gc.com, since their maps are way more detailed than gmaps... But when it comes to satelite images, there's nothing usefull here except gmaps. ESRI is lower resolution, and MapQuest doesn't even have images for Germany for zoom levels higher than 11. So best solution for me (and I guess most Germans) would be map data from OSM and satelite images from Google. But having to switch at two locations (sidebar for Google/OSM and OSM provider selection in the top right to select the correct provider) is too much hassle. So I guess I'll stay with gmaps...

But having to switch at two locations (sidebar for Google/OSM and OSM provider selection in the top right to select the correct provider) is too much hassle. So I guess I'll stay with gmaps...

Take look at Greasemonkeyscrip GCLittleHelper (Firefox) and switching maps/sat imagery is just one click away from the right top on mapview.

Interesting. I had to go back to Set Map Preferences and switch back to Google too.

where is that located? it's been a while and I don't see it with the new site changes.

I do not seem to have a side bar. I'd like to have my Google maps back.

thanks. I usually have my sidebar collapsed, so I didn't see it. duh...

Thanks! You are not the only one who had the same issue.

So glad I stumbled across this hint to check map preferences! I checked all three browsers I use and the map was the same in every one - no slider. I assumed the loss of the zoom slider was yet another most unwelcome change with the big site overhaul that has so many people upset. It seems that Groundspeak has elected to use Leaflet as the default map along with all the other changes (not improvements) introduced.

Thanks!

So glad I stumbled across this hint to check map preferences! I checked all three browsers I use and the map was the same in every one - no slider. I assumed the loss of the zoom slider was yet another most unwelcome change with the big site overhaul that has so many people upset. It seems that Groundspeak has elected to use Leaflet as the default map along with all the other changes (not improvements) introduced.

Thanks!

Perhaps some clarification here would help. If you got to the Maps page from "View the Geocaching Map" link in the "Play" menu or from the "View larger Map" link on any cache listing page you'll get to the maps page with the collapsible panel on the left side of the page with the "Set Map Preferences" button. If, however, you use the new search engine and click on the "Map these Results" link, it passes in a parameter consisting of a long encoded string that causes the map to be displayed without that panel and no way to unhide it. I have no idea why GS is using that parameter to hide the panel when called from the Map these Results link but it eliminates one of the most useful features on the map page: the "Save as Pocket Query" link. I've asked why this was done but so far I haven't heard anything from GS explaining why they did it this way.

Perhaps some clarification here would help. If you got to the Maps page from "View the Geocaching Map" link in the "Play" menu or from the "View larger Map" link on any cache listing page you'll get to the maps page with the collapsible panel on the left side of the page with the "Set Map Preferences" button. If, however, you use the new search engine and click on the "Map these Results" link, it passes in a parameter consisting of a long encoded string that causes the map to be displayed without that panel and no way to unhide it. I have no idea why GS is using that parameter to hide the panel when called from the Map these Results link but it eliminates one of the most useful features on the map page: the "Save as Pocket Query" link. I've asked why this was done but so far I haven't heard anything from GS explaining why they did it this way.

This is because the filters available on the new search are not yet available on the map, and this would cause the filters on the map to break if they were present. The current implementation is just an interim one until we overhaul the map and integrate the new search filters into it.

This is because the filters available on the new search are not yet available on the map, and this would cause the filters on the map to break if they were present. The current implementation is just an interim one until we overhaul the map and integrate the new search filters into it.

Thanks for the explanation. I had wondered (and asked) about the new filters on the map. This will be quite useful when it's complete.

Before you switch back, maybe give the non-Google maps a try. They're surprisingly good.

I've been using them by choice for ages now.

They're not very good for satellite imagery, unless I'm missing something.

You are correct. The satellite imagery options are OLD. Looking at my neighborhood they appear to be at least 5 years old. Google's imagery (in my location, anyhow) is 2 years old.

Thank you so much for the heads up about the Map Preferences option. I always keep the sidebar collapsed so I had forgotten that it existed. I disliked the change but I thought it must be something I had done inadvertently. I have only just thought to check the Forums to see if any other members had experienced a change and as always there is someone who knows how to fix it. I don't much like the rest of the site changes either but at least I've got Google Maps back !

Thanks.. I was sitting, staring at this new layout getting angry at the lack of google maps.

On a positive note, I've found OpenCycleMaps to be the most useful maps for hiking: they show nearly all the trails (named) on a terrain map.

Google satellite view is still best for terrain details (bushes, trees, cow tracks), but the trails don't show when printed out. They're there, but too faint to see unless you are zoomed WAY in, and I don't want to carry multiple pages for simple 6-mile loop. (I always carry a reference map on a hike, in case of power loss.)

I'd never have tried OpenCycle without this bug having forced my hand.

Now I use OpenCycle as my default map, and switch back to Google only if I need to look at terrain details.