Making my first Geocache.

Lagoonside

When someone makes a geocache there is a wait period for a mod or who ever to make sure its for real. I want to make one and give a free item to the first person to find it. Will the "mod" be the "first" and "take" the "free" "item"? Or would he just see and not take the first item?

Edited by Lagoonside

Long time away, huh? You might want to re-read the Guidelines about placing a cache. (Things may have been updated since the time of your last activity.) In there you will see that a Reviewer will look over your cache submission to verify it fits within the Guidelines for page content and to see that the cache is not within the 528' proximity circle of a physical stage of another cache. No Reviewer will go out and pre-find your cache before it is approved, so your gift will be there when the first person finds the cache. Good Luck with your hide.

Long time away, huh? You might want to re-read the Guidelines about placing a cache. (Things may have been updated since the time of your last activity.) In there you will see that a Reviewer will look over your cache submission to verify it fits within the Guidelines for page content and to see that the cache is not within the 528' proximity circle of a physical stage of another cache. No Reviewer will go out and pre-find your cache before it is approved, so your gift will be there when the first person finds the cache. Good Luck with your hide.

Yeah its been too long. The misses just got a store management position at a pizza place so I thought HEY! Ive always liked business geocaches. Lets hide one in the store lobby. Fun for geocachers and hopefully some new business too haha.

Yeah its been too long. The misses just got a store management position at a pizza place so I thought HEY! Ive always liked business geocaches. Lets hide one in the store lobby. Fun for geocachers and hopefully some new business too haha.

Ah, there is a guidline change you may have missed. The comercial content guidline will no longer allow a cache like that. You may be able to put a cache outside the store, but definatly not inside the store lobby.

Ah, there is a guidline change you may have missed. The comercial content guidline will no longer allow a cache like that. You may be able to put a cache outside the store, but definatly not inside the store lobby.

Sucks. There goes that.

Lets hide one in the store lobby. Fun for geocachers and hopefully some new business too haha.

From the Guidelines:

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a businessinteract with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

Link for reference:

Guidelines

Lets hide one in the store lobby. Fun for geocachers and hopefully some new business too haha.

From the Guidelines:

Cache listings perceived as commercial will not be published. A commercial cache listing has one or more of the following characteristics:

It suggests or requires that the finder go inside a businessinteract with employees and/or purchase a product or service.

Link for reference:

Guidelines

My earlier message about bringing in new business was a joke. Im thinking of making it a multicache. three parts, with the last being inside. Do you guys think it will fly?

Ive been reading up on it and it sounds like thats the only way to do it.

If a cacher has to interact with someone inside the business, it likely won't be approved. Best to ask your local Reviewer about your plan and see what he has to say. You can look at the page of a nearby cache and scroll to the bottom to see the name of your local reviewer .

Do you guys think it will fly?

To be honest, no, I don't think it will fly to have any or part of the cache hunt in the business. The Guidelines are pretty clear on the issue.

I'd suggest Hosting an Event at the business, rather than placing a cache there.

Link for reference:

Event Listings

I will drop that then. How about people calling a number to get coordinates. It would be automatically sent to voicemail?

Kinda want a either a heroic cache with Zelda and Link or something odd and bizarre like the twilight zone.

I will drop that then. How about people calling a number to get coordinates. It would be automatically sent to voicemail?

Depends on how you set it up. A dedicated line that is available 24/7, and the coordinates are part of the greeting on the machine, probably OK (best to check with your local Reviewer to make sure).

A scenario where someone has to leave a message with a return number and have to wait for you to call back with the coordinates, probably not likely to get Published.

If a cacher has to interact with someone inside the business, it likely won't be approved. Best to ask your local Reviewer about your plan and see what he has to say. You can look at the page of a nearby cache and scroll to the bottom to see the name of your local reviewer .

Thank you, Just emailed my local reviewer.

Depends on how you set it up. A dedicated line that is available 24/7, and the coordinates are part of the greeting on the machine, probably OK (best to check with your local Reviewer to make sure).

A scenario where someone has to leave a message with a return number and have to wait for you to call back with the coordinates, probably not likely to get Published.

Yeah I have several lines where they would be available 24/7 and it would just be a automated message. I would hate calling people back, haha.

Yeah I have several lines where they would be available 24/7 and it would just be a automated message. I would hate calling people back, haha.

That sounds like a fun cache.

That sounds like a fun cache.

Different I think. Now just to implement everything together. :unsure:

How about people calling a number to get coordinates. It would be automatically sent to voicemail?
I've found a couple like that. One even used Caller ID and would give the coordinates for the next stage only if you called from a specific payphone. (It was a toll-free number.) But good luck finding a working payphone today.

Yeah I have several lines where they would be available 24/7 and it would just be a automated message.

I have found one like that! It got a favorite point from us!

There was/is a neat one near us where you tune your car radio to a certain frequency, and listen to the message. It was opening words to a great TV show and the coords were at the end. Off we went to get the cache and get a neat view. The phone thing would work well too.

Business caches....not anymore.