New Message Center...

BBWolf+3Pigs

I've also noticed that new messages actually DO show the text of the message in the email notification. I believe someone previously said it did not, so maybe they changed it...?
Yep. Initially, the email notification didn't include the text of the message. Now it does.

It still doesn't include any attached image though.

I've also noticed that new messages actually DO show the text of the message in the email notification. I believe someone previously said it did not, so maybe they changed it...?
Yep. Initially, the email notification didn't include the text of the message. Now it does.

Well...to be fair, neither do the log notifications. :angry:

Well...to be fair, neither do the log notifications. :angry:
True, but for logs, the images are always added after the log itself has been posted. But for the Message Center, images are uploaded when the message is posted.
True, but for logs, the images are always added after the log itself has been posted.
Not for GSAK API users. It's all done in one go. Log, Picture, Trackables. But for the majority, you're right.
Does the API actually accept the image as part of the log?

Or does GSAK use the API to post the log, and then upload the image as part of another transaction?

... Although the Messenger system for the forums (for private messages) isn't really for the geocaching.com site. It's strictly for the forums, and would require much more integration to really serve as a messaging system for the geocaching.com site.

With all the talk about API, maybe they're thinking about including messaging with the app so people can chat at one another while they're caching. That could add an interesting social aspect. They would have to include group texting.

But some cachers might also end up overly pestering CO's of very-popular-but-challenging caches. That's fine if you're retired, but a lot of us work or have classes, sometimes at hours that aren't great for receiving texts. In which case, those CO's would probably want to block members from sending messages via the app. Not sure messaging CO's is a stellar idea...

Edited by LaughterOnWater

Well, it finally happened. I got my first SPAM message from a SPAM account.

Was this from clarry5001 ? At least that's the spammer that has send me their junk.

Why yes, yes it was.

I got it via e-mail, not MC. Reported it to GC and should get an answer in 2-3 businessdays.

Make the content field resizeable, like post content fields

Concur.

I had to compose a reply in the message centre and was unable to see how the entire message was formatted, due to the limited number (2) of visible lines.

I ended up writing the message in Notepad then pasting it into the "Type something..." box.

You know the thing where putting the cursor over the top border of the input box shows an up/down arrow so it can be dragged larger or smaller? That thing.

Deselecting the checkbox will only turn off the email notification; people will still be able to send you a message through the MC

So in this case I may have messages stacking up and people getting annoyed I am not responding. Couldn't you disable the ability for people to message me (if I opted out of receiving Message Center emails) so they know I won't be seeing the messages?

Any response from the lackeys on this?

Not trying to be Captain Obvious here, but you could just add a line to your Profile page: "Don't contact me through the Message Center".

That wouldn't work though, because if I want' to message BBW with the new system I don't need to go anywhere near his profile page so I would never see a line on there telling me not to message him through the message centre.

Direct links to message someone via their profile page are coming very soon.

There are currently no plans to make Message Center an opt-in/opt-out feature.

I certainly hope that the opt-in/opt-out feature becomes a reality. The message system is a PITA when people use it to answer Earthcache questions, and you're left with no in-house records. Also, people don't read the cache pages carefully enough for a note there to be effective. Personally I don't use the message system. However, I know of at least one person who only has "Send email" in his profile. I wonder how he managed that??

I started using the message center and then noticed there was no way to delete old ones. I really don't want to save every message I ever sent, so I've stopped using it. Let me know when you can delete old messages and I'll consider using it again

Hover over the person's name on the left side and you will see a small red/orange 'x'. Click it and it "hides" the conversation.

If it's through and regarding geocaching.com and its product, I see no problem with them creating such a system.

One of the issues created is that now there are cachers who do not react or react very slowly to e-mail messages and cachers who do not react or react very slowly to MC messages.

I recently learnt about a caching team consisting of several persons where messages over the MC get to the person in charge of the hidden caches quickly and directly while the e-mail messages get manually forwarded,

sometimes after 2 weeks.

One cannot know beforehand which method a cacher prefers. Moreover, in case one needs to use the MC, there is the usability issue. It's annoying to type messages in a two line field and even more when only one line of text remains when one creates a line break and wants to add an empty line. One can use external editors but that's not very convenient either.

Make the content field resizeable, like post content fields

Concur.

I had to compose a reply in the message centre and was unable to see how the entire message was formatted, due to the limited number (2) of visible lines.

I ended up writing the message in Notepad then pasting it into the "Type something..." box.

You know the thing where putting the cursor over the top border of the input box shows an up/down arrow so it can be dragged larger or smaller? That thing.

You're right. The two-line box drives me nuts. Notepad (or similar) is a silly but necessary option at the moment - the drag-to-resize the compose textbox would solve that very nicely. Or just make the default something more sensible (4-5 lines would be better). With a 1000-character limit on each message, it's clear that they are not always expecting a Twitter-esque 140-character "one liner".