New Message Center...

BBWolf+3Pigs

It might be questionable whether I would be allowed to delete a log if someone logged a log before I replied. That has never happened however. People wait because they are not sure that the answers are correct - the cache is not simple and more like an Earthcache with multiple stages but not dealing with geology.

Off topic in the MC thread but my workflow for logging is always the same (trad, multi, EC, virtual, ...) Come home, import caches from GPS into GSAK, write all logs, publish all logs via API. I then open EC's virtuals... and send answers to CO's. That way caches are logged in the same order as I found them. If, by chance (hasn't happened yet) there's an unsolvable error in my answers then the log can be deleted

I also prefer plain text mails but fortunately my email software is able to even show gc mails in plain text.

It might be questionable whether I would be allowed to delete a log if someone logged a log before I replied. That has never happened however. People wait because they are not sure that the answers are correct - the cache is not simple and more like an Earthcache with multiple stages but not dealing with geology.

Off topic in the MC thread but my workflow for logging is always the same (trad, multi, EC, virtual, ...) Come home, import caches from GPS into GSAK, write all logs, publish all logs via API. I then open EC's virtuals... and send answers to CO's. That way caches are logged in the same order as I found them. If, by chance (hasn't happened yet) there's an unsolvable error in my answers then the log can be deleted

I never would log a cache without knowing that I'm able to come up with something that is satisfiable to myself.

Logging can wait. I recently logged a cache I found 3 weeks ago and I still have not logged a number of caches I found 2 weeks ago.

I never would log a cache without knowing that I'm able to come up with something that is satisfiable to myself.

Neither would I.

Requiring people to wait for answers to be approved is an ALR and not permitted according to the guidelines. Ans as stated, I never had a log deleted (I take great care to find the right answers anyway, if I can't find 1 or more answers I don't log the EC or virtual anyway).

I'm just going to even out the bolding in this... ;)

Give us a opt out or link it to email so we can receive the text and if we reply it goes back into message center from our email. What we had was not broken for 90% of the cachers, all that is happening is that now you are cramming extra steps down our throats, and encouraging phone cachers to not bother with a valid email address. (btw, wasn't that required when I signed up, pre app days).

Give is a OPT OUT button!! please! Or send the content in the email notification and let us reply to conversations easily outside the MC!

Only because giving an opt-out option on its own won't solve anything - it'll leave holes in communication because such people supposedly won't be checking the MC for messages sent by those who use it. If MC moves forward at full speed, I will say it - it will require all unread message content to be sent in the notification emails with an easy response method outside the MC, if communication through geocaching.com is to be kept reliable.

Edited by thebruce0

If MC moves forward at full speed, I will say it - it will require all unread message content to be sent in the notification emails with an easy response method outside the MC, if communication through geocaching.com is to be kept reliable.

That would be nice. I think a MC and email option can coexist nicely together, if email responses got added to the MC and MC responses generated email. That would be awesome for those of us who have a strong preference with email as a communication vehicle, and allows HQ to continue to develop and add features to the MC that might entice those of us old farts who live in email to try something new if it's better.

Fourth, I sometimes combine private messages with replying to some request. I do not want to go those through a Groundspeak system at all.

You can always ask for somebody's private email through the MC. It's not quite as convenient, but for those times when you have some privacy concern it's an option. I can't say I've ever been concerned about privacy with the notes I send through the GS system though, but I can grok it.

Fifth, I do not want to provide Groundspeak with a means to control when and if I reply to certain mails by cachers.

I haven't seen anything to indicate this would ever happen.

I was thinking of the official Groundspeak provided apps. Obviously, if someone doesn't use the GS mobile apps they wouldn't be able to take advantage of features in those apps. If GS puts features into their mobile that integrate with their web site, one of the reasons they might do is would be to entice you to switch from whatever you're using to the GS mobile app.

I haven't seen it stated, but I was assuming that the MC functionality would be added to the public API for those well behaving apps that use the API. Hopefully it is, otherwise apps that use the geocaching API won't have it, and apps that scrape the site for data could add it by more scraping.

- privacy wise, all communication resides on Groundspeak servers. One never knows what one will (ever) do with that. On top one can use this content for commercial use without our consent (e.g. Facebook does).

Google gmail uses the content for commercial use as well. If you send me an email about shoes, I can almost guarantee I'll see an ad on the right hand side for some internet shoe sales, or a link to amazon shoes or boots. It's pretty standard now to use content of emails or messages to have directed advertising, though normally the company will say there is no identifying information sent.

I don't wanna sound paranoic, but there is also the Patriot Act and the notorious section 215, which I - as non US citizen - don't wanna applied simply because of the MC resides in the US. I wonder how the German law looks at this matter btw.

I'd like to see how the PII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personally_identifiable_information) laws are being followed, or if it even applies.

Should cachers have any expectation of privacy in the MC? If I send a phone number or address or birth date to another cacher, can I be assured that nobody has access to this other than the cacher I sent this to?

It may not apply here at all, but it is something I have to be concerned about with the 6 million devices my company has collecting and sending data to the mother ship each night. We don't want the liability of storing potential PII data, so we make sure we never get it in the first place.

Google gmail uses the content for commercial use as well. If you send me an email about shoes, I can almost guarantee I'll see an ad on the right hand side for some internet shoe sales, or a link to amazon shoes or boots. It's pretty standard now to use content of emails or messages to have directed advertising, though normally the company will say there is no identifying information sent.

That's why I don't use Gmail and the lot for private mail and have Ghostery, adblock and Noscript installed in Firefox. I don't see ads, EVER. Also, all trackers are blacklisted and unable to set cookies and have their DNS pointing to 127.0.0.1

Should cachers have any expectation of privacy in the MC? If I send a phone number or address or birth date to another cacher, can I be assured that nobody has access to this other than the cacher I sent this to?

Maybe it's best to assume all is getting stored and kept. So again.. MC or email... there's no contest really.

So how is the MC treating you, I have been inconvenienced 3 times already with a email directing me to the non-Message Center. This really is a waste of time to open a email and then be directed to the website to read a comment that needed no reply. LACKEYS PLEASE!! allow us to opt out of the latest new toy on the website. I would like my geonick to not appear when people search from the MS, also if they click on contact me from the app it sends me a email period, not a email to go read a message. This should not be to much to ask that if a paying player wants to skip these unnecessary steps that we can.

So how is the MC treating you

I sent messages to cachers a week ago, with no reply. It may be due to how cumbersome the whole thing is.

The Message Center is just like Facebook; featureless and frustrating, it discourages communication by requiring extra steps that many users don't understand, then buries the text -- when the Internet already has commonly used ways to "message" others. I have messages on Facebook that I posted two years ago, waiting for a reply (to people allegedly still needing Geocacher collector cards which I offered). Let's not be Facebook. B)

[EDIT]:

I filled out the Survey, but it's mostly about how much I enjoy the extensive unavailable features "coming soon". And there are text boxes, but they're tiny (how much text is sent in the survey?)

Anyway, if there were a survey requesting suggestions, here are some of mine:

- If there is to be email notification of a message, the text of the message should be included. At least part of it. There are tons of threads about how intermittent the servers are on that thread's day, and we get told "that's because it's a busy day" or whatever. It's gonna be especially bad when it takes forever to get an email that tells me there's a message, and now I have to wait to find out what the message is.

- I'd like to see if my reply will be a separate post or appended to my previous reply. It seems random, maybe on a timer. Can't tell. I'd like to be able to edit a message after posting, or at least preview it before posting.

- I'd like a direct connection to cacher names, rather than having to remember how to spell them. "Click to message this cacher", somehow?

- The "Message" icon seems to show a count of unread messages, but isn't connected to any given message. It's also tough to remove the count after reading the message. That counter needs a lot of work.

- Cachers should be allowed to "opt out" of the Message Center, so senders know the intended recipient can't or doesn't want to use MC. I guess it would default to "opt in", if the cacher does eventually send a message.

- Time-stamp all messages, and portions of messages that are appended to previous ones.

Edited by kunarion

It seems that they want us to read messages on the website instead of the comfort of our mail clients. That way there are a lot more views on the ads they run.

If I were to assume there's a master plan, I'd say that GS has the intention that everyone abandon "web site messaging" and use email. I'm not eagerly clicking The Message Center in anticipation of the the possibility that someone has replied. Are you? I gave up after the replies dried up.

Dear Lilypad Geeks,

thank you for sending me an email that tells me to go to the web site to read an email that was sent to me.

It just breaks my heart to see what you are spending your time on, "fixing" things that ain't broken. There is plenty stuff on the site which is, in fact, in need of repair or upgrade. And there are also plenty of prospective smileys beckoning to be found, all over beautiful Seattle. Heck, I don't even mind if you use my Premium Membership fee to have some Pizza and Beer. As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to it, and entitled. But kindly please try to inject some common sense into your feature and change management process.

Thanks.

I started caching only days before the new message system was added. I have to say I prefer the original. It's so much more convenient being able to see messages in your email inbox, especially on mobile devices. I wouldn't necessarily get rid of the new message center but I certainly won't be using it.

I apologize in advance if this problem has been addressed somewhere already, but I couldn't find it.

I am unable to open messages through the message center on my Motorola Zoom android tablet. I get this: "Communication service error. Please try again." I tried a bunch of times and still can't get the messages to open. Since we primarily use our tablet when out caching in the field, this is totally useless if we are trying to get an answer from somebody about a cache and they reply through the message center.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem? The message center works fine on my android phone and both of our laptops.

And, I want to add, that I think the whole idea of the message center is unnecessary. Many people have already listed numerous reasons why it's not a good idea. I don't want to use it at all since just emailing somebody through their profile is much quicker and allows me to save the emails. I really want to have the option to opt out of allowing people to message us through the message center. Please?

Who in the world changed the a functioning communication system?

I can't read these silly IM messages sent to my blackberry and are directed to sign into the website. I tried it from an android and what a hassle and have to wait to come home to read the message. If your going to have a private messaging system, You must build it across all platforms known to the electronic world.

I had to send a message to a finder of one of my caches and found that the scroll bar does not move in such a way that I can proof read.. Have to select all.. copy to note pad... come back and select all and paste. REALLY. This is some nice work for the communication with lots more work. The user should be paid by the hour the send or receive a message.

hi,

i'm also not happy with the messages. You donn't see the emailadres of a cacher anymore and if you want to reply on a question, the communication goes over the geocaching-site. I think that email is more direct and if i want to chat with other cachers i use Wahtsapp or i use my phone. (or is the message center a way to avoid Whatsapp?)

So please restore the old function: email via email.

Kind regards from Holland.

Agree with previous posters. Trying to use system with Galaxy/Android simply brings up "Communication systems error" message. Today, for example, got message while out caching but couldn't access it via website until back home on lap top. Frustrating for other cacher and for me.

Please - email to email much preferred, with messaging system opt-out.

How do I delete this crappy new feature? I can no longer get messages. For three days I've got nothing but server error.

Why fix something that wasn't broke? Why force me to use a non working beta program?

Groundspeak basically is telling me they no longer wish for me to contact other users.

How do I delete this crappy new feature? I can no longer get messages. For three days I've got nothing but server error.

Why fix something that wasn't broke? Why force me to use a non working beta program?

Groundspeak basically is telling me they no longer wish for me to contact other users.

I don't see that at all.

If that was the case, the email link right underneath would be gone.

If you're having issues with the new message link, go to email.

- Now we have two options to contact other users. :)

Dear Lilypad Geeks,

thank you for sending me an email that tells me to go to the web site to read an email that was sent to me.

It just breaks my heart to see what you are spending your time on, "fixing" things that ain't broken. There is plenty stuff on the site which is, in fact, in need of repair or upgrade. And there are also plenty of prospective smileys beckoning to be found, all over beautiful Seattle. Heck, I don't even mind if you use my Premium Membership fee to have some Pizza and Beer. As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to it, and entitled. But kindly please try to inject some common sense into your feature and change management process.

Thanks.

That pretty much states my view, I don't see any benefit to this whatsoever .What are the big amphibians in the background who control the lillypad geeks trying to do here ? Engineer geocaching.com into some kind of social media site ? Why ? I just want it to list my geocache for others to see, and show me the database of other owners caches. That, and only that, is what I pay my premium membership fee for.

I don't see that at all.

NO "we" don't now have two options.

What we have is users getting an email telling then they have a message. Then they click on the message only to encounter an error. THEN said user has to email the person who sent them the message by looking them up, and sending them an email telling then to resend the message as an email.

When I go to settings, I should be able to delete this horrible function, so users stop sending ME messages that Groundspeak won't allow me to read.

I don't see that at all.

NO "we" don't now have two options.

What we have is users getting an email telling then they have a message. Then they click on the message only to encounter an error. THEN said user has to email the person who sent them the message by looking them up, and sending them an email telling then to resend the message as an email.

When I go to settings, I should be able to delete this horrible function, so users stop sending ME messages that Groundspeak won't allow me to read.

I replied to, "Groundspeak basically is telling me they no longer wish for me to contact other users", which was just a rant and simply not true.

- Guess I shoulda bolded...

I'm using the email from profiles after receiving the message-of-a-message ( just don't care to use it - no errors) , since I have the option to use either/or.

Later, I believe enough requests will ask for a "turn off" button.

For now, it's a little inconvenient, but I'm good thanks. :)

I have tried the new message center and, in my opinion, in its current form it is next to useless.

1. Messages are limited to 1000 characters.

2. Anyone I have tried to contact using it either ignores or doesn't see my message.

3. A 3.4 inch high editing window is ridiculous.

4. It is next to impossible to read a message received on my phone.

Frankly I don't see the necessity of having Groundspeak regulate any email traffic

with the exception of the reviewers (which should likely have a regulated system) and

the possible preference of some cachers who may not want their email addresses made available.

Anything more is a complete waste of valuable CPU time.

In my experience most geocaching email correspondence is done outside of Groundspeak and

more and more is done by text messaging.

I for now will ignore the message center as it provides no advantage to me.

Bushman002

Ignoring the new message makes a lot of sense.

However, if somebody contacts me I have no choice then to join the conversation.

This was the message I just found in my browser.

>> Communication service error. Please try again.

>> OK

Like 404.

I can't use the new Message Center, because it's not compatible with my browsers. I can't upgrade my browsers because my computer is too old, and I can't afford to buy a new one.

I hope that Groundspeak will give us an opt-out option, but for now I've added some HTML to the beginning of my profile which draws some red X's over the Message Center link, making it unclickable, and adds a note explaining the problem. In case anyone else wants to do something similar, here's what I added:

<div class="mxStats" style="position:relative; top:-230px; left:0px; font-size:18px; color:red">XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</div>

<font color="red">NOTE: If you want to contact me, please do not try to use the new Message Center. My computer is too old to be able to access messages left there. Please use the email link above instead.</font><br>

This probably won't work in all browsers, since the exact spacing required depends on how the browser displays the page. If anyone who knows more HMTL than I do can suggest any improvements, I'd appreciate it. (I basically copied this, with appropriate modifications, from this post: Show DNFs in profile)

I've added similar code to one of my cache pages just to see if it will work. I haven't decided if I'll add it to all of them. Here's the code that I used there:

<div class="mxStats" style="position:relative;top:-520px;left:95px;font-size:30px;color:red;">XXXXXXXXX</div>

I've added some HTML

SSSHHH!

The sooner you bring this trick to the Frog's attention, the sooner they'll slam the door shut on it. Some years back people were doing something similar to, apparently, cover up the Give a Gift Membership link, and Groundspeak felt that was serious enough to restrict what we could do with our finely-crafted HTML. It seems they lightened up a bit between then and now.

I thought the profile trick was a solution, UNTIL they started promoting their shiny new feature on every cache page.

No, I'm not editing all 90 of my cache pages. I'll just become a poor communicator. (A backfired result from their stated intent.) No reply from me to a message? Eventually people might figure out I do respond to email.

PS, on your sample cache page, on my browser, your XXXXs are quite misaligned - way down by the UTM. But the profile thing looks good.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The new Message Center still claims to be a beta test. A number of members have indicated that they haven't been able to read the actual messages they've been sent after receiving the email notifications. As such, I think pushing the use of the Message Center over email is premature.

Perhaps something like this (at the top of cache pages) would be better:

A cache by AnyCacheOwner     Contact owner via email or via Message Center (Beta)     Hidden : 2012-01-23

Great! Tell us how to disable this feature AND send all of those messages we received on the new, broke system, to our email the working way.
I think this should be the ultimate goal. Members should be able to communicate using whichever method they prefer. Someone who prefers email (like a volunteer reviewer or an EarthCache owner or someone who can't get the Message Center to work on their system) could communicate via email with someone who does use the Message Center, and vice versa. Email replies would get translated into the Message Center. Message Center replies would get translated into email.

Please?

[The sooner you bring this trick to the Frog's attention, the sooner they'll slam the door shut on it.

It sure would be nice if they'd spend more time fixing things than breaking them.

PS, on your sample cache page, on my browser, your XXXXs are quite misaligned - way down by the UTM.

I was afraid of that. I've tried to figure out a way to position them so they'll work in any browser, but so far I haven't succeeded. (My knowledge of HTML is rudimentary.)

A cache by AnyCacheOwner Contact owner via email or via Message Center (Beta) Hidden : 2012-01-23

That would be better, of course, but best of all would be neither. Like last week.

I think Groundspeak is suffering from featureitis. Got a new feature? Highlight it!

Both message options are only one lousy click away from the cache page. Common-sense web design would say, keep it there.

Both message options are only one lousy click away from the cache page. Common-sense web design would say, keep it there.
There have been a number of requests for a "contact the owner of this cache" link. I can see how such a feature would be useful, especially for caches like virtuals and EarthCaches where contacting the CO is routine.

I think the mistake is pushing the Beta Message Center as the way to contact the CO. It would have been better to provide just an email link:

A cache by AnyCacheOwner     Email this owner     Hidden : 2012-01-23

Thanks for the response. So the problems I've found in addition to not getting the message through my e-mail are:

*The preview window of what I've typed is only 2 lines high and I can't see what I've typed.

Given that MOST of my messages are replying to people asking for help solving a puzzle or sending answers for an Earthcache, this simply isn't enough. I need to see the whole message at a glance when I've typed it both to check for errors but also to make sure what I've written makes grammatical and practical sense.

*The character limit is 1000 characters.

Again, this simply isn't sufficient to answer an earthcache when questions are phrased in terms of "describe" and "consider" etc It doesn't let me answer requests for help in enough detail either.

*I only ever use a laptop or desktop computer for sending messages. I don't have a smartphone. While this new method might help smartphone users it really makes things a lot worse for laptop and dektop computer users.

Thanks for including my feedback.

I really don't like the new Message Center, and it's not so much related to how it works but rather that it even exists.

I have enough work in keeping up with messages that come in through various sources and I don't want another one I have to check. Why are geocachers now required to participate in the Message Center? That wasn't part of the bargain when I started this. I'd like to continue to participate while receiving messages the way I want and can control and keep track of and be certain that I can keep an archive of them.

Before the Message Center was launched, people who visited my geocaches and Earthcaches had one way to contact me, through my email address. And that email address was and still is totally reliable and easy for me to monitor and sort for everything that comes in. PLEASE give us a way to opt-out of this feature now.

Thanks for listening.

Before the Message Center was launched, people who visited my geocaches and Earthcaches had one way to contact me, through my email address.

Have you posted your email address? I see the PM thing only. Processed through the site, then sent through email, the sender can't tell if you received it. Assuming you reply to all PMs through the sender's direct email address (bypassing PM to avoid issues) so you'll see mail server errors if there's an issue when you send your reply, I mean they can't know when you did not receive their PM, when PM is a leetle broken.

[The sooner you bring this trick to the Frog's attention, the sooner they'll slam the door shut on it.

It sure would be nice if they'd spend more time fixing things than breaking them.

Uh, you're putting red "XXXs" on things. :ph34r:

Why not put your email address and ask cachers to use it? You didn't post an "email link", you just have a link that uses PM. If PM is broken in one direction or both, the remaining communication avenue (barring an email address) is the Message Center.

A cache by AnyCacheOwner Contact owner via email or via Message Center (Beta) Hidden : 2012-01-23

That would be better, of course, but best of all would be neither. Like last week.

I think Groundspeak is suffering from featureitis. Got a new feature? Highlight it!

+1

It's odd to have a "Beta Test" that admittedly is unavailable to many, and then promulgate it. Is it on the verge of being fixed? I'd suggest it must be fully functional before the big roll-out. It's bad the way they're doing it unless GS is intentionally trying to get the MC gone.

I want to give Groundspeak some more feedback about two problems I've noticed with new messsage system, but as I've already completed the survey, it won't let me add anything. Can I give the feedback here?

Will it be noticed?

It sure will!

Are there plans to make it so a cacher save a searchable archive of the Message center text? It's in its own little page now, without even a time stamp on posts. Nor who said what (unless you compare icons and know icon says this, other icon says that).

I "hid a conversation", is there a way to unhide it? I have the most recent version of IE, yet see no toolbar. The MC is just a pretty simple scrolling message table, with, except for "Attach a Photo", no features like you commonly find in a Forum or Chat software. It's not a robust message center. Are there tools missing from my view, or is this all I get?

Why doesn't the MC work in "old browsers"? If I can make a cache page in an old browser or use the web Forum, I'd fully expect to be able to use a little scrolling text page.

Edited by kunarion

Uh, you're putting red "XXXs" on things. :ph34r:

Yes, I'm trying to fix what Groundspeak broke. Before the introduction of the MC, people had no trouble contacting me through the email link in my profile. Now they may try to use the MC, and I won't see their message, just a notification that they sent something to me.

Why not put your email address and ask cachers to use it?

I get enough spam already, without posting my email address where anyone can see it. When someone uses PM to contact me, my reply includes my address.

You didn't post an "email link", you just have a link that uses PM.

It's an email link in the sense that PM messages are sent to my email.

If PM is broken in one direction or both, the remaining communication avenue (barring an email address) is the Message Center.

For those of you who can access MC messages, that's true. For me, it depends on why the PM fails. If the failure is caused by a temporary problem at Groundspeak, then the sender can try again, with either PM or MC, and I'll probably get the second message. But if there's something wrong with my email account, then neither another PM nor an MC message will reach me. I might eventually notice some sort of alert on a gc.com page saying that there's a message, but I won't know who sent it or what it's about.

So the MC doesn't make it easier for anyone to contact me; it makes it slightly harder. I hope that the red X's and the note on my profile page will fix that, but it would be better if I could opt out of having the MC links on all of my pages. Alternatively, if the email notifications of MC messages included their content, that would work fine for me too.

1) I would like copy message to my mail from this message center which I send, as the old messaging system. Can I do it? If not, why?

2) Why isn't text of message in notifications mail? I have to go to new message center to know whether the message is important. May you send message with notification mail as old system? If not, why?

3) I would like send answer to message from another geocacher directly through email as old messaging system, when he didn't check "do not send email". When I have to go from email to www.geocaching.com - it is for me complicated. And for server geocaching.com it's higher load (when for answer we have to go to server), when now (in last week) it goes so slowly...

4) I would like send notifications of all answers, not only about some messages.

I share these comments. The new messages center is not my cup of tea. I own eight earthcaches. Some of them are frequently visited. People started to send me their answers via messages. I am really pissed off, :anibad: because it has become complicated for me to check the answers and reply to them. I would prefer if I could read the messages in my Outlook and reply to them via e-mail. Please!

If PM is broken in one direction or both, the remaining communication avenue (barring an email address) is the Message Center.

For those of you who can access MC messages, that's true. For me, it depends on why the PM fails. If the failure is caused by a temporary problem at Groundspeak, then the sender can try again, with either PM or MC, and I'll probably get the second message. But if there's something wrong with my email account, then neither another PM nor an MC message will reach me. I might eventually notice some sort of alert on a gc.com page saying that there's a message, but I won't know who sent it or what it's about.

So the MC doesn't make it easier for anyone to contact me; it makes it slightly harder.

Do you live in a cave? :P

If even with an "old browser", at you do get a "Message Icon", you already know people tried to contact you -- the fact that you also didn't get the email notification that there was an MC message posted means you already receive limited communications from Groundspeak. Supposing you are getting the email notification, you might be able to then PM the cacher, explain the conditions in your cave, request the message be forwarded to PM, and see how that goes.

You don't even need to answer immediately, the point is that you do answer. Use a new browser (check nearby caves for new browsers) and read the message, and then ask the cacher to use PM. But if the reason they used MC is because they can't contact you on PM, that avenue still won't work. When receiving an App "Message", that's a good point to request that the cacher get "verified" so they can use PM rather than MC.

If a cacher finds your Earthcache (as an example) and posts the answers on MC, the cacher may get his log reinstated if you delete it "due to no answers" (your browser "being too old to read the post")and if the finder disputes the deletion. The MC message is there, email PM can be completely broken and yet GS can tell that the answer was in fact posted, so there's no CO insisting that, say, "things over here are too old for Geocaching". Typically when PM email evaporates, it's due to the cacher's own email whitelist or blacklist or server issues unbeknownst to him, but MC works even with even a GS server problem. And suppose MC itself is bad today, the sender can see if the message worked or not, and repost later if it failed. With PM site issues, communication may be harder using PM than MC.

Cachers routinely must switch to another platform to use various site features, and they abide. If MC were a real thing (let's suppose it is for this discussion), it would work in a wide range of systems when fully rolled out. It would have to work at least as well as the rest of the site does in an "old web browser". Yes, and of course it would need to be fast and reliable. That is, it must be better than most site features including PM. Which also could use some work. B)

Edited by kunarion

If even with an "old browser", at you do get a "Message Icon", you already know people tried to contact you -- the fact that you also didn't get the email notification that there was an MC message posted means you already receive limited communications from Groundspeak. Supposing you are getting the email notification, you might be able to then PM the cacher, explain the conditions in your cave, request the message be forwarded to PM, and see how that goes.

It seems that it's not working on several Android devices.

Downloading caches and logging is done here with GSAK (not a browser). Chances are slim I would even notice there's something for me in the MC. I communicate via e-mail. Easy to keep track of conversations and lightning fast (no need to wait 30 minutes for a mail you need to go to the MC)

The MC works like the McDo clerk coming to tell you at the drive-in windows you can come in and collect your order. With e-mail they just hand you your order straight away. Now which one of these two is easier? :unsure:

It seems that it's not working on several Android devices.

Downloading caches and logging is done here with GSAK (not a browser). Chances are slim I would even notice there's something for me in the MC. I communicate via e-mail. Easy to keep track of conversations and lightning fast (no need to wait 30 minutes for a mail you need to go to the MC)

The MC works like the McDo clerk coming to tell you at the drive-in windows you can come in and collect your order. With e-mail they just hand you your order straight away. Now which one of these two is easier? :unsure:

For the cachers who need to use MC, MC is easier. But when a bunch of waiting messages are being ignored on MC (that is, once they are arriving fine on the MC page, whatever excuse we're using to not read them), that situation will work itself out. ;)

So the MC doesn't make it easier for anyone to contact me; it makes it slightly harder.

You don't even need to answer immediately, the point is that you do answer. Use a new browser (check nearby caves for new browsers) and read the message, and then ask the cacher to use PM. But if the reason they used MC is because they can't contact you on PM, that avenue still won't work. When receiving an App "Message", that's a good point to request that the cacher get "verified" so they can use PM rather than MC.

If a cacher finds your Earthcache (as an example) and posts the answers on MC, the cacher may get his log reinstated if you delete it "due to no answers" (your browser "being too old to read the post")and if the finder disputes the deletion. The MC message is there, email PM can be completely broken and yet GS can tell that the answer was in fact posted, so there's no CO insisting that, say, "things over here are too old for Geocaching". Typically when PM email evaporates, it's due to the cacher's own email whitelist or blacklist or server issues unbeknownst to him, but MC works even with even a GS server problem. And suppose MC itself is bad today, the sender can see if the message worked or not, and repost later if it failed. With PM site issues, communication may be harder using PM than MC.

Cachers routinely must switch to another platform to use various site features, and they abide. If MC were a real thing (let's suppose it is for this discussion), it would work in a wide range of systems when fully rolled out. It would have to work at least as well as the rest of the site does in an "old web browser". Yes, and of course it would need to be fast and reliable. That is, it must be better than most site features including PM. Which also could use some work. B)

I can't figure out what your point is, and I'm not interested in getting into an argument with you. For me, the MC in its present form is worse than useless, since I can't just ignore it if someone tries to contact me using it. If Groundspeak fixes it so that the email notification includes the message content, then it'll be fine: I'll continue to use email to send messages, and I'll treat incoming MC messages just like incoming emails.