archived geocaches

rdeg

I have archived all of my geocaches as I have lost interest in the past time and don't want to mess with them anymore. Today I got an email stating someone had found one of my archived caches. Nothing has been logged that it was found yet I received an email stating it had been found. Can someone claim a find on an arhived cache? I don't think anyone should be able to claim an archived cache as found..

Sometimes people that were once were part of a team account, like a family team account or husband/wife, girlfriend/boyfriend account decide to start their own account and then go back and log the caches they found together into their new account. Those are legit and allowed.

Could be a Found log from previously...

Some cachers take a while to log, others may split a team and then log with their new account and backdate the log to when it was found.

Whatever the reason behind the late log, it does appear that the log was backdated. If you look at the list of the OP's hides, none has a find more recent than July 2014. I'd chalk it up to either a simple late log or a new account/geo-divorce/whatever.

I have archived all of my geocaches as I have lost interest in the past time and don't want to mess with them anymore. Today I got an email stating someone had found one of my archived caches. Nothing has been logged that it was found yet I received an email stating it had been found. Can someone claim a find on an arhived cache? I don't think anyone should be able to claim an archived cache as found..

Were the logs backdated to prior to the archival?

Lots of reasons why archived caches can be logged as "found", as posted above.

If the cache containers have all been removed, then there's nothing to find.

B.

We have seen at least three cachers logging finds on archived caches. Some blatantly ... most logging finds after the archive with a simple tftc, some with the dubious "found this sometime when last in the area". It's an easy hit to get the numbers up I guess. Been interesting looking at the found its for caches in America one day and Europe the next all archived recently.

But we have also seen the "logging under new account in my own name. Was previously such and such if there is a problem with this log please let me know". Some people get wound up by that for some odd reason.

I think what you're asking is - is it a legitimate log as per geoccahing common practice within the community. The answer is yes as has been stated if:

The cache is still there to be found because it has not been removed by you.

A late log (and we witnessed one the other day that was from 8 months previous), depends on you really. No one would be against you if you deleted it. But it could be genuine. You could satisfy your doubt by looking at other finds/caches by that cacher locally. Were they in the area that day etc.

Or maybe if you have them still look back through the log books. Check for their name which maybe abreviated to initials or squeezed in out of date order.

Some people use puppet accounts for various reasons - they will legitimise the account by seeking out archived caches and logging finds on them so that their puppet account has a good number of finds and creates a legit puppet cacher that does not rouse suspicion that it's not a genuine account. Maybe for a puzzle element to a cache or just to do it for another reason.

Whatever if the cache is still there to be logged they can. Otherwise it's your decision which you will have to live with lol.

I think the point was that they no longer want emails from a hobby in which they lost interest. That makes sense to me.

Most email systems have some type of spam rules that could be employed to throw away such emails. I almost said "easily employed", but then I remembered how difficult that some of them are to use! But with a little fussing around, one can get a spam rule to throw out emails about any old lost-interest hobby.

And what about virtual caches and webcam caches that are archived? I just find out that Zurich Airport Webcam Cache is archived today and the webcam is still there functioning. Is it a fair game to claim the find in such cases?

I am reluctant to respond since I do not speak the native language. However, if the webcam is still active and you fulfilled the requirements, then I would log a find with no reservation.

Based on the OP's post my comment is...Apparently when you lost interest in caching you also lost interest in collecting what is now litter. Unless you have already done so, please go and collect all your archived caches so the rest of us don't get a bad name from your trash. If you get any future logs hit delete since your caches will no longer out there to be found.

Based on the OP's post my comment is...Apparently when you lost interest in caching you also lost interest in collecting what is now litter. Unless you have already done so, please go and collect all your archived caches so the rest of us don't get a bad name from your trash. If you get any future logs hit delete since your caches will no longer out there to be found.

Apparently, the OP hasn't logged in since he posted.

:laughing:

And what about virtual caches and webcam caches that are archived? I just find out that Zurich Airport Webcam Cache is archived today and the webcam is still there functioning. Is it a fair game to claim the find in such cases?

No. The cache as a whole is archived and therefore not in the game anymore, at least on geocaching.com. Logging it at this listing service to just get a smiley and a find point is just lame.

There may be a reason for it being archived: maybe some security official doesn't want people stand on the street just to get on the webcam? And maybe now the official is angry about the owner not following his advice to stop people doing the cache and bans all other geocaching in his area? Sure, I don't know the situation...but it's archived on this listing service, which is a pretty clear statement.

Anyway, knowing that you log archived caches just for the smiley, I won't be impressed by your find count from now on. Never mind, I never really was... :)

If you "found" or "took a photo" (in the case of a webcam) when the caches was still active but it was subsequently archived before you had a chance to log it I would wouldn't have any qualms about logging the find. If you "found" the virtual/webcam after you had downloaded the cache to your GPS it starts to get into a grey area, depending on how long ago it had been archived. If it was very recent I'd probably log the find but wouldn't complain if the CO asked me to delete it.

It looks like in February the reviewer posted the following log:

please delete the following from the listing before enabling the cache again "...alternatively, if your flight schedule doesn't give you time to visit the terrace, please post details of your flight, including a photo of your boarding card, along with a webcam image of a 'plane similar to the one in which you flew...."

I suspect that the CO got tired of deleting logs, which at one time, the CO would have allowed.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Not necessarily

It could be any number of reasons as previously stated above, none of which involve finding the archived container still out there.

It's just an assumption on your part that the cache(s) are still there.

If you met the guideline requirements of the webcam, sure.

If you accomplished it before the archive it would be a good thing.

Anything after the archive date, the CO's in his right to delete. If he wanted...

The CO "updated" the cache page with, "Update February 2015: Please note that in order to comply with Groundspeak's webcam logging requirements, only logs which contain a webcam image will be permitted. Any other logs (eg boarding passes) will be deleted."

- But his archive log says "CBA", which kinda means he didn't (really) want to, or expend the energy to comply with the guidelines.

Webcam Photo Taken logged right afterwards reads, "According to the cache description a selfie on the terrace is required for logging..." :laughing:

Go figure...