Release Notes (Message Center beta) - April 7, 2015

I wonder how much added traffic the required log ins in order to read messages will affect the servers? Seems like this message system will be an unnecessary tax on the servers.

Edited by K13

I wonder who asked for a Message Center. I've got email for this. I won't see the message center for weeks at a time.

Actually, that was me. I asked for it. A message centre that connects through the website and apps was the best way to reach the notorious Intro App users. And (once features are finalized), this type of platform will work best for me because I visit the website almost every day but I could go a week without checking email.

A straight-forward solution for users who prefer email contact is to include the entirety of the message in the notification email. Follow that with three links: Reply through Message Centre, Reply via Email (if the user has shared it), and Sender's Profile. Job done.

Edited by 6NoisyHikers

I'll be adding a blurb at the top of my public profile asking* people to not contact me via the Message Center.

How is that going to work, though? If they are using the Message Center, they will not be seeing your public profile.

You're right, it may not do any good at all, but I'll still put it there on the off-chance that someone will see it. I'm more concerned about the EarthCache answers, and my request should be more easily noticed on the EarthCache listings.

I've just reread the first post in this thread and it begins

We’ll be the first to admit it: contacting other geocachers hasn’t always been the easiest thing to do on Geocaching.com

I had never found it difficult. Just go to any cache they own or have logged, click on their name, click on send message and type the message. Simple!

Of course, if they aren't validated it is impossible, but for most people I have needed to contact it couldn't have been easier