OSM Problem or Garmin Problem?

I have City Navigator North America NT tied to my eTrex Vista HCx and then I use OSM on my Oregon 450. I'm having some major routing issues with OSM in BaseCamp and on my Oregon. When I try to create a route; for example from Chicago to Atlanta, I get a direct line in BaseCamp and either a routing error or a stopover in Boston on my Oregon. As expected I have no problems with City Navigator.

Now here's what really confuses me, when I use OSM in MapSource I have no problems with OSM routes, they are almost identical to the routes City Navigator produces.

Is this an OSM problem, Garmin problem, or can I just tweak some settings in BaseCamp or on the Oregon?

Which OSM map is it?

OSM generic routable (new style). Although I've tried with with the older version and had the same results. OSM maps were downloaded and installed yesterday but I've had this problem with maps installed several months ago too.

Try running JaVaWa's Device manager program from here http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html

With your Oregon connected it will tell you whether the map on it is routable or not, it will show 3 small green squares joined by 2 lines alongside the G in the yellow box. If it says it is then it's definitely not a map issue.

Says it's routable. I wonder if there's some type of issue with the map tiles; like it doesn't think adjacent tiles are next to each other or something.

If you route over secondary roads it might get to complex to calculate.

Plan your route not longer then 600 miles or so.

Also be SURE to have only one routable map active.

OSM is made by the public, therefore the map might be much more complex then the Garmin map like in certain parts of Europe, OR there might be roads missing and in that case the route is not possible.

However using normal Free- and Hw's it should just work fine.

Try to make a couple routes over a shorter distance, to the final destination.

Edited by splashy

You will need to be very careful to ASSURE that each point on an OSM map is identified as on-road before trying to route it with Basecamp or Mapsource. For whatever reason, being a bit of off-road will sometimes cause both packages try to run a direct point to point route. Happens to me all the time when planning cache runs.