assume a cache the co is no longer responding to or taking care of?

brian22jones

The term is "adoption" and this can only be done with the participation of the existing cache owner. So, if the owner is unreachable you would not be able to assume ownership of their cache listing and cache container.

If there were a maintenance issue you could log "Needs Maintenance" and, if the problem isn't fixed within a month or two, follow up with a "Needs Archived" log. If the inactive owner's cache gets archived by the area's Community Volunteer Reviewer, then it would be open for you to hide a new cache there.

But, since the cache is in good repair thanks to your efforts, there wouldn't appear to be any need for that right now.

Just ran into this issue yesterday. I was looking to add some caches to an area that already had three. I I looked at all three checking to see when the last time the c/o logged in. I also check to see if the caches were being maintained on a regular basis. I send out a nice e-mail to each c/o explaining what I was working on and asked if they were still involved in the game. One responded back that they indeed wanted to keep there cache (this owner had been maintaining there cache). Waiting to hear back from the other two. Even though the caches seem to be maintained It doesn't hurt to ask.

the only thing you can do is keep an eye on it. Probably should have left it in dis-repair and issued a "Needs Matainance" log on it. A "Needs Archive" would get the attention of the cache owner )if there still active) and would put it on the reviewers radar but I would only do this if your reasonably sure the owner is absent. What's the name or GC code for the cache?