What happened to my "Found" caches?

Brassine Family

Hello all,

I started caching back in Oct. 2008 And pretty much stopped caching in 2010. Today, I am getting back into it with my kids. As I am familiarizing myself with the website etc, I noticed that my cache find has dropped significantly, and on the page that shows states that you have finds in, There are only two highlighted,Indiana and Illinois. (Home State and neighboring state.) But in actuality, I have found caches in Kentucky, Ohio, and North Carolina. As for finds, My "then wife" had gotten me a "250 finds" trackable geocoin which I had never placed. And I had attended the last "Cache Slash Fest" in 2009 with over 250 finds and during the event I had found and logged 20 some while at the event, yet on my profile it says I have only found 199. Furthermore, on the cache map, nearly half of the finds near my home that I had found when I first started are showing up as if I had never found them.

Can anyone give me any insight as to why this would have happened?

Edited by Brassine Family

An April Fool's joke maybe? I doubt it...

I'm wondering if you and your now "ex" had separate -or- together accounts may have had an effect on it.

Regarding those changes on the map... once archived, another cache may well have been placed, even with the same name. It is the cache ID# that is the determining factor, not the name. You may want to compare the cache ID numbers (probably a tedious job).

Reading the logs for the "Cache Slash Fest 2009", it reads as though some coordinates were dropped from an aircraft?

Were there additional caches placed for the Event? If so, unpublished "temporary" cache Finds are not included in your overall caching history. Could that be the case?

An April Fool's joke maybe? I doubt it...

I'm wondering if you and your now "ex" had separate -or- together accounts may have had an effect on it.

Regarding those changes on the map... once archived, another cache may well have been placed, even with the same name. It is the cache ID# that is the determining factor, not the name. You may want to compare the cache ID numbers (probably a tedious job).

Reading the logs for the "Cache Slash Fest 2009", it reads as though some coordinates were dropped from an aircraft?

Were there additional caches placed for the Event? If so, unpublished "temporary" cache Finds are not included in your overall caching history. Could that be the case?

Yes, about 30 were dropped from an aircraft if memory serves me correctly. Thank you for the info on "temporary" caches.

My ex and I had same account. But I have been the only one with access to it.

And while picking my own brain, I big chunk of those "Finds" were reported through an iPhone, when the iPhone craze first started, that might possibly have something to do with it as well.

Actually, I have the same thing going on with my account. I just figured it was because the website has changed so much that maybe it messed with my found caches on my account.

I started back in 2006. After a year or two, I stopped to focus on some other stuff in life. Just recently, I'm getting back into it. My cache count was literally at zero when I signed in.