New thing?

Well, it's not new, obviously.

The whole thing, and more, got hashed out in that thread back in 2012.

The Help Center article has changed since then.

Help Center → My Account → My Account and Profile

2.25. Deleting My Account

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=102

To disable your account, please visit your membership page.

Although accounts are never permanently deleted, they can certainly be disabled. Each account created on Geocaching.com is assigned a Member ID which remains as a historical record in our system. If you choose to delete all public profile information or adopt caches or trackables, you can do so before your account is disabled. Disabling your account will cancel your email subscriptions and future payments. Note that account changes may take up to 24 hours to take effect. If you have an active PayPal subscription, you may need to contact PayPal directly to cancel it.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Although accounts are never permanently deleted, they can certainly be disabled. Each account created on Geocaching.com is assigned a Member ID which remains as a historical record in our system. If you choose to delete all public profile information or adopt caches or trackables, you can do so before your account is disabled. Disabling your account will cancel your email subscriptions and future payments. Note that account changes may take up to 24 hours to take effect. If you have an active PayPal subscription, you may need to contact PayPal directly to cancel it.

B.

That makes sense, thanks for the refresh.

Wonder what the expiration date is. I have heard of some cachers who drop out and then years later they log in again. Plus with the use of smartphones and tablets we can't tell if a cacher is active or not if they only use that and not a computer. I wonder if GC can tell if they are active or not if they just use smart devices.

e487f82b-5a9b-41f4-b187-9a15ce632981.png

Has anyone seen this appear anywhere else? it's a 1/1 cache in a cemetery in OH and happened just the other day. Has Groundspeak mentioned anything anywhere about doing this?

Similar thread from 2012 (with responses / explanations):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=305230

Weird cause if you look at the example's CO they logged in on 12/12/12. They probably are no longer active but was curious why the message.

B.

But following the "membership page" link in the Help Center text you're reaching:

Disable Your Account

Disabling your account will cancel all of your email subscriptions and any Geocaching Premium recurring payments. Your logs and photos you've uploaded will still be visible. Before you can disable your account, you must archive or adopt out all of your geocaches and drop any trackables you may be holding into a nearby geocache.

Maybe I'm missing something but currently it seems that you cannot become intentionally an inactive member owning active or inactive caches. But I refrained from testing the red button below the text :)

So the log from the OP must be the result of becoming an inactive member by other means. And such situations have not been discussed in the 2012 thread, right?

Based on a close reading of the OP and taking particular notice of the words "currently" and "temporarily" I am going to venture a guess that it wasn't the cachers choice to become inactive. Would not be surprised if they were all reactivated again after a specific but unknown time and he became active again

Based on a close reading of the OP and taking particular notice of the words "currently" and "temporarily" I am going to venture a guess that it wasn't the cachers choice to become inactive. Would not be surprised if they were all reactivated again after a specific but unknown time and he became active again

I actually read this the other way, as a carefully crafted note that, while it could apply to an involuntary action, would apply equally well as the automated message if the cacher decided unilaterally to disable the account.