How might I be able to fix this ammo can?

Alright, so... I've got an old large ammo can that I got for free, that I'd like to reuse as a geocache container. The obvious first steps would be cleaning it, painting over the markings, and then stenciling on something along the lines of "Official Geocache, Contents Harmless" on the sides.

However, I've got a bit of a larger problem before I can do any of that. The ammo can is a very, very tight fit, and requires putting my whole weight on the second latch to close. Once it's been closed, to open it again I need to unlatch both latches and then pry the lid up using a screwdriver. I just can't seem to do it manually. Obviously, this isn't very good for out in the field, because I doubt every geocacher is as strong or heavy as me, and I especially doubt most geocachers carry around a prying tool in their bags. It might also be helpful to note that if I just place the lid on lightly, no matter how well I align it, one side falls into place easily while the other requires pushing (or closing the latches) to get into place. The tightness seems to be on the sides.

I'd like you guys to have a look at the photos of the ammo can that I've provided, and help me try and figure out what I can do to it to make it close and open a bit more easily. If you need any more angles or views, I'm happy to provide them. (Apologies on the location of the photos taken, it was the only room I had with a free surface and good lighting at the moment.)

Link to the mentioned photos: http://imgur.com/a/Z6qg6 (Yes, a couple of the photos are failed, I wasn't logged into Imgur when I uploaded them, though, so I couldn't delete them. And yes, there are a few items in the bottom of the ammo can. I was previously using it for storage.)

Check corner to corner dimensions, if not the same it might be racked, try bar clamp and light torch heat to possibly adjust the rack. use bigger hammer, don't waste too much time

You may be on to something there. The corner to corner dimensions on both diagonals don't quite match up, about 1cm off. That also is consistent with the fact that one of the latches doesn't quite match up properly with where it's supposed to clip onto.

Check corner to corner dimensions, if not the same it might be racked, try bar clamp and light torch heat to possibly adjust the rack. use bigger hammer, don't waste too much time

You may be on to something there. The corner to corner dimensions on both diagonals don't quite match up, about 1cm off. That also is consistent with the fact that one of the latches doesn't quite match up properly with where it's supposed to clip onto.

Bar clamp it until corner to corner match, maybe a few smart whacks with a hand sledge, or wave a heat gun over to see if it springs or pops back, press against a flat concrete surface. Again don't make it a project because containersvareva dime a dozen

Bar clamp it until corner to corner match, maybe a few smart whacks with a hand sledge, or wave a heat gun over to see if it springs or pops back, press against a flat concrete surface. Again don't make it a project because containersvareva dime a dozen

I'll try that, if I can't get it fixed after a little work I'll just get a new one. Not that big of a deal, was just hoping I could give this can a new life.