Wont stay logged in

Berta Nick Zoey

I posed this question 5+ years ago and never have gotten much of an answer. 10 years as a premium member. Why is it that even though I make the 'remember me' box, I almost ALWAYS have to log into Groundspeak. Also, why is it that when logged into Groundspeak and after clicking on the discussion tab, that I must log in once again to post anything.

What do you mean discussion tab? As in the forums here? This is a different, and separate website, so being logged in there, doesn't mean anything at all here. It's actually a commercial product (the forums) and you and I could buy our own. So I doubt they could even make being logged in on geocaching.com automatically log you on here.

As for the remember me, I don't know for sure, bit I'm sure it has something to do with your browser, and settings. Someone smarter than I should be along to help with that.

Why is it that even though I make the 'remember me' box, I almost ALWAYS have to log into Groundspeak.

google this: won't stay logged in

There are a bunch of reasons that you may get logged off, and some tricks to fixing this in individual computers (such as clearing old TEMP data), which tends to be specific to Operating Systems and web browsers.

Here's a little info on why you get logged out:

The log-in state is "remembered" in a small text file browsers store on your computer called a "cookie." Browsers can be set to block or delete cookies automatically, which means [the web site] has no way of knowing you want to remain logged in.

To change this behavior requires knowing which browser (and add-ons that might affect cookies) you're using, but generally it's: Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, and set privacy to Medium or lower (higher privacy means you do NOT want to have any data stored on your computer) -- Also, Internet Options, Browsing History, and uncheck the option to delete history on exit (depending on the browser you can leave this check then customize what gets deleted, that is, you can choose to leave Google and YouTube cookies while still deleting the rest of the browser history).

Edited by kunarion

So I doubt they could even make being logged in on geocaching.com automatically log you on here.

I may be missing something here?

I only need to log on to one or the other, and hit remember me, to access both the forums and geocaching's web site. Logging on one, logs me on the other.