'Seems to be missing' for a car sticker TB

Roelwin

I bought a nice Decal sticker for on my car back window. I was wondering if there is any reason why I should not set the status to 'Seems to be missing'? I thought that this status would be appropriate as a car TB :) .

Is there a rule that you may only set it as missing when it is really missing, or is it ok?

Is there any negative impact for the TB or myself when I set the status 'seems to be missing'.

By the way, I set the TB as collectable and place it in my collection. As I've read in other forum posts this should be correct, or am I wrong?

Edited by Roelwin

I think collectable mean they can keep it if found so probably not the best but it's on your car, good luck getting g it off..

As far as missing, no idea the official rules but why put it as missing (stolen) if it is not? Can it even be logged as a find if it is marked as mia?

I bought a nice Decal sticker for on my car back window. I was wondering if there is any reason why I should not set the status to 'Seems to be missing'? I thought that this status would be appropriate as a car TB :) .

Is there a rule that you may only set it as missing when it is really missing, or is it ok?

Is there any negative impact for the TB or myself when I set the status 'seems to be missing'.

By the way, I set it the TB as collectable and place it in my collection. As I've read in other post this should be correct, or am I wrong?

"Collectible" and "Collections" can be a little complicated. Maybe you should sit down while you read this :anitongue::

The Trackable "Collection" is a feature designed as a digital "storage area" for a large number of activated Geocoins which are kept in the Owners possession.

One reason cachers may add a car TB to their Collection is for the purpose of having only "Discover" and "Note" logs available to cachers. But then the menu items are also reduced for you. You can't then log "Visits" to caches on that TB in your Collection, so you can't have a mileage map, for example. If you want it in your Collection, move it there, and it's a good idea to then mark the TB "Not Collectible". "Collectible" is best for when you are actively trying to get your Trackable into someone's Collection, and then it's a good practice to mark it "Not Collectible" once it has moved.

And here's one reason. If you mark it Collectible, yet if you then don't add it to your Collection, a confused cacher may do a "Grab" log and place it in their "Collection". You'll need to Grab it back in that case. So only "Marking It Collectible" has not much benefit on a car TB, yet perhaps a few drawbacks.

You may "Mark it Missing", with no particular bad consequences. But remember that it may be returned to your Inventory (cease being "Missing") when certain logs are submitted.

Edited by kunarion

I think collectable mean they can keep it if found so probably not the best but it's on your car, good luck getting g it off

"Collectible" means a Geocacher who has the TB logged into his Inventory may move the TB to his own Inventory at the will of the TB's Owner. The "Collectible" setting does not create an automatic five-finger discount where a finder can just pocket and "keep it". By definition, there are several required logs to do the move to the "Collection", the Owner may get the TB back at will.

If the plan is to only have "Discover" and "Note" logs available, here's a plan:

1: Mark it Collectible.

2: Move it to the Collection.

3: Mark it Not Collectible.

4: Leave that setting alone from now on.

If the plan is to keep as much log flexibility as possible for the Owner, leave it "not selected", or select "Not Collectible", and leave it at that. If Geocachers seem to be "Grabbing" the TB frequently, they are likely making other oddball logs. Instead of messing with "Collectible" for the purpose of odd log control, see if you can get those cachers to cut it out. B)

Edited by kunarion

I think collectable mean they can keep it if found so probably not the best but it's on your car, good luck getting g it off

"Collectible" means a Geocacher who has the TB logged into his Inventory may move the TB to his own Inventory at the will of the TB's Owner. The "Collectible" setting does not create an automatic five-finger discount where a finder can just pocket and "keep it". By definition, there are several required logs to do the move to the "Collection", the Owner may get the TB back at will.

If the plan is to only have "Discover" and "Note" logs available, here's a plan:

1: Mark it Collectible.

2: Move it to the Collection.

3: Mark it Not Collectible.

4: Leave that setting alone from now on.

If the plan is to keep as much log flexibility as possible for the Owner, leave it "not selected", or select "Not Collectible", and leave it at that. If Geocachers seem to be "Grabbing" the TB frequently, they are likely making other oddball logs. Instead of messing with "Collectible" for the purpose of odd log control, see if you can get those cachers to cut it out. B)

I thought I understood the collectable/collection stuff, apperantly I didn't. Thanks for both of your explinations Kunarion.

I created a second account to find out what another user could do with the TB if it is in my inventory or collection and when collectable is ticked or unticked or when I mark it 'seems to be missing'.

And indeed, the only correct status is in my collection and collactable unticked. That makes it only able to be discovered or for writing a note. All the other statusses makes it possible to grab it or more.

Edited by Roelwin
I thought I understood the collectable/collection stuff, apperantly I didn't. Thanks for both of your explinations Kunarion.

Nobody truly understands it :ph34r:. It's layer after layer of complexity. I just have a couple of plans to mitigate some of the disasters. :anicute:

I created a second account to find out what another user could do with the TB if it is in my inventory or collection and when collectable is ticked or unticked or when I mark it 'seems to be missing'.

And indeed, the only correct status is in my collection and collactable unticked. That makes it only able to be discovered or for writing a note. All the other statusses makes it possible to grab it or more.

Excellent! Lots of car TBs are in the owners' collections. I have mine not in my Collection and "Not Collectible", but I also have it extremely tough for others to log. Why do I do that, you might ask. Indeed. Ask, you might! :anibad:

Edited by kunarion