editing/correcting co-ordinates

Wild-Skye

when solving puzzle caches I used to use the little pencil editing tool next to the fake co-ordinates. That way when I downloaded to GPSr - it downloaded the corrected co-ords not the fake ones. This no longer works on the new web site --- most annoying when I am working on a series of 25 puzzles --- I have no desire to enter 25 sets of corrected co-ordinates manually. Can anyone tell me a way round this ? Overall, I am finding the new web site less user friendly than the previous one.

Windows 7 Firefox 36

I just checked this, downloaded a puzzle cache with corrected coords, it downloaded properly, ie with my solution coords as cache coords.

I believe this only works as individual downloads. If you create a pocket query that includes those caches, you won't get corrected coords (?)

I'm creating a PQ right now that includes some with and some without corrections. Will see what that does.

----

to my surprise, I got the corrected coords in the PQ.

I'm thinking now that the complaint about this was no way to tell which coords are corrected, and which aren't.

My only thought for your issue would be that perhaps you're logged in under the wrong account? this assuming more than one account in your household.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

have been experimenting...seems to be problem with certain pages...eg gc5drmm,gc5dqpd,gc5d9gp, gc5p1ef...none of these are the ones I originally noticed it on. Just trying cache types owners etc

There is no reason to use the edit coordinate function on those caches. There is no pencil icon, because you don't need to edit the coordinates.

http://coord.info/GC5DRMM - Traditional

http://coord.info/GC5DQPD - Letterbox Hybrid

http://coord.info/GC5D9GP - Traditional

http://coord.info/GC5P1EF - Tradtional

The ability to edit coordinates is found on "?" cache types.

You should see the pencil icon beside the coordinates for these ones:

http://coord.info/GC258KV - ? (puzzle, mystery)

http://coord.info/GC42BXY - ? (puzzle, mystery)

Oh, and you should have the edit coordinates ability on Multi-caches. Wasn't sure, so I just checked.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

puzzle solved? Have just been told that only co-ords of puzzles and multis can be changed (never noticed that before) I was looking at a series of 25 caches which are listed as letter box hybrids (hence you can't change co-ords) but which are also puzzles in that the cache us not at posted co-ordinates. Not much pleasure in having to manually change 25 sets of co-ordinates...so my choices are...1) change co-ords manually 2) abandon the series 3) persuade CO that others will feel as I do and ask him to consider changing cache type. Tks to you all for reading and answering

3) persuade CO that others will feel as I do and ask him to consider changing cache type.

The cache owner can't just change the cache type. He/she would have to archive all those Letterbox Hybrids, and re-submit new caches.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.12. Editing a Published Listing: Minor Change

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=201

relevant snippet:

You will find that you cannot change the geocache type. Changing the geocache type will retroactively alter the statistics of all previous finders, so we do not allow this field to be edited.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Geocache Ownership: A Long-Term Relationship

3.13. Editing a Published Listing: Major Change.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=76

relevant snippet:

If you need to change the coordinates beyond 0.1 miles (528 feet or 161 m), or change the type of geocache, please contact your local reviewer. The reviewer will check the changes for adherence to the current guidelines and notify you when the changes have been made, or suggest that a new geocache listing should be submitted.

Depending on the amount of work the co did to create a Letterbox Hybrid, I think it's pretty rude to ask them to do go through all that just to please some folks.

Not sure how much manual inputting of coords one would need to do for a Letterbox Hybrid, any way. They might be more of a "read the clue, follow instructions" type of thing, to stay within the "spirit" of a letterbox.

B.

oh well, then I just have to find out if the location warrants manually changing 25 co-ords. wou!d be ok if I didn't cache alone.. could list corrected points as waypoints on one gpsr and someone else could have description and clue if needed....but when not on my own am accompanied by muggles without gprs or suitable phones..who only come with me under sufferance anyway?

oh well, then I just have to find out if the location warrants manually changing 25 co-ords. wou!d be ok if I didn't cache alone.. could list corrected points as waypoints on one gpsr and someone else could have description and clue if needed....but when not on my own am accompanied by muggles without gprs or suitable phones..who only come with me under sufferance anyway?

Like I said, just how often do you need to change the coords for a Letterbox Hybrid?

Whatever device you are using more than likely has the ability to record new waypoints. I would think that would be much easier and faster than fiddling around inputting them manually.

B

Oh, wait, I think I see what you're talking about.

This?

All caches are also 'letterboxes' this means they contain a rubber stamp.

To solve the bonus cache, you will need to make a note of the stamp design in all 25 caches, so why not take an impression of them on a piece of paper (or a little notebook). You will also need an inkpad.

If that's what you're talking about, then you wouldn't be changing the coordinates for the 25 Letterbox Hybrids. You would gather information from them, and then input coordinates for the "bonus" cache. Inputting coordinates just once.

Is the "bonus" cache also an LB or is it a "?"?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Answered my own question...

The Ho Ho Ho series, that displays as an image of a stocking on the map.

The "bonus", #26, is also a Letterbox Hybrid:

Ho Ho Ho! 26 (3 finds, 3 favorite points = 100%)

http://coord.info/GC5DRM4

So you only need to find the caches, gather the info, do the math, and input coordinates once.

The big thing to remember is to take a stamp, inkpad and paper or notebook.

That was a lot of work by that CO! Amazing.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

There is no reason to use the edit coordinate function on those caches. There is no pencil icon, because you don't need to edit the coordinates.

There's plenty of reason to edit coordinates on any cache. What you mean is that they don't let you edit the coordinates on the other types.

I don't use the coordinate edit feature because I implemented my own mechanism before the edit feature was added, but I use my approach to edit traditionals with known bad coordinates where people have posted the correct coordinates yet the CO hasn't adjusted the posted coordinates.

Like I said, just how often do you need to change the coords for a Letterbox Hybrid?

How often? Isn't once enough? Here are some possible reasons I might want to edit the coordinates of a letterbox hybrid: I could have followed the directions to the end but the container was missing, so I want to remember the final location and return to it when the cache has been replaced. Or the letterbox could have alternative starting points, and I know I want to start at one other than the posted coordinates. Or I can imagine one might work out the final coordinates through street view and space view and decide to skip the trail, although of course none of us would ever do that, oh no. All of these have come up in real life for me...oops, I mean except for the last one, needless to say. :rolleyes:

There's plenty of reason to edit coordinates on any cache. What you mean is that they don't let you edit the coordinates on the other types.

I don't use the coordinate edit feature because I implemented my own mechanism before the edit feature was added, but I use my approach to edit traditionals with known bad coordinates where people have posted the correct coordinates yet the CO hasn't adjusted the posted coordinates.

How often? Isn't once enough? Here are some possible reasons I might want to edit the coordinates of a letterbox hybrid: I could have followed the directions to the end but the container was missing, so I want to remember the final location and return to it when the cache has been replaced. Or the letterbox could have alternative starting points, and I know I want to start at one other than the posted coordinates. Or I can imagine one might work out the final coordinates through street view and space view and decide to skip the trail, although of course none of us would ever do that, oh no. All of these have come up in real life for me...oops, I mean except for the last one, needless to say. :rolleyes:

Once I did a lot of clicking, I think I finally figured out what the OP is trying to accomplish.

I posted my research.

It's a geo-art, comprised of LB's. There is a bonus cache, also an LB.

Once all the other 25 caches have been found, there is some figgerin' to do and the "final" coordinates will be deciphered.

I'm pretty sure I got it nailed as to what exactly the OP is wanting.

As I said, why fiddle with inputting coordinates for those other reasons you mentioned when you can "create new waypoint" and name it something relevant?

If I don't agree with the published coordinates of a cache, I can always post my log, and note the coordinates I have in the "Add a coordinate to this log" option.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

To the OP:

--make sure you take a stamp, an inkpad, and paper or notebook to record those stamps for the LB's #1 through #25.

--make sure you've got the vital information from the cache page for #26 on a printout. Make sure you highlight/copy/paste that information. You don't want to make a mistake in recording it by hand.

--you don't want to depend on getting to read the cache page for #26 on your phone.

--read all the previous logs for all of them. There might be very important information posted by the previous finders. Make notes if need be.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

To the OP:

--make sure you take a stamp, an inkpad, and paper or notebook to record those stamps for the LB's #1 through #25.

--make sure you've got the vital information from the cache page for #26 on a printout. Make sure you highlight/copy/paste that information. You don't want to make a mistake in recording it by hand.

--you don't want to depend on getting to read the cache page for #26 on your phone.

--read all the previous logs for all of them. There might be very important information posted by the previous finders. Make notes if need be.

Edited by Wild-Skye

To the OP:

Sting in the tale for this series is that although they are listed as letter box hybrids - none (at least none I've looked at) are at the listed co-ordinates so you have to figure out a puzzle to get the co-ordinates for each and every cache BEFORE you worry about the bonus cache - that is where the problem arises - you have 25 caches which are not at the listed co-ordinates but you cannot correct the co-ordinates before downloading from geocaching.com because they are described as letter box hybrids - where the co-ordinates cannot be corrected -- not too many logs to read just yet so little has been revealed. Phone reception generally poor in the Highlands of Scotland but that is a problem I will worry about later!!

B.

Sting in the tale for this series is that although they are listed as letter box hybrids - none (at least none I've looked at) are at the listed co-ordinates so you have to figure out a puzzle to get the co-ordinates for each and every cache BEFORE you worry about the bonus cache - that is where the problem arises - you have 25 caches which are not at the listed co-ordinates but you cannot correct the co-ordinates before downloading from geocaching.com because they are described as letter box hybrids - where the co-ordinates cannot be corrected -- not too many logs to read just yet so little has been revealed. Phone reception generally poor in the Highlands of Scotland but that is a problem I will worry about later!!

I didn't read the cache descriptions of the ones I opened.

That sounds like a series of "?" caches to me. Obviously, the Reviewer has a different interpretation.

I looked at a few LB's near me. It looks like Traditional caches with a stamp thrown in counts as an LB. The ones I read didn't involve much in the way of the "spirit" of letterboxing. Published coords = location of LB. Unique cache icon gained for owner and finders.

Too bad. We did a really great LB where the published coords are for the parking area. After that, one has to follow the instructions on the cache page to get to the cache location.

It seems odd to me to publish "?" caches as LB's, but what do I know.

The Advent Calendar series still sounds interesting and challenging. Sounds like a lot of work for the finders, too. Tad too far for us, though we would love to visit Scotland.

B.

There have been several requests to be able to edit coords on LBH. It would make sense to be able to edit coords for LBH, as they can be Mystery types, with stamp. Heck it would make sense to able to edit on all cache types, with possible exception Trads and Events.

-----------------------------------

That sounds like a series of "?" caches to me. Obviously, the Reviewer has a different interpretation.

A Mystery type can be listed as LHB if cache has a stamp.

An artifact of the way the site and the game developed. In very early forum threads, reference to high numbers of cross listed Letterboxes. In mid 2001, Jeremy introduced cache types (previously, all were "geocache"). Trad, Multi, Letterbox hybrid, Virtual, Unknown, Event. None were defined in the guidelines at that time. A bit later, much definition of Virts and Locationless in the guidelines, but no definition of other types until after I started caching. Nov 2003 is the first time cache types got much in the way of definition. I recall listing a cache as a Multi, and then reading cezanne post here - then asking the reviewer to change type to Mystery (he did).

In any case, an LBH is any cache of any type, with stamp. The early LBH I found mostly had started out as letterboxes on one of the letterboxing sites. Here they were all just coords (trad + stamp). The letterboxers who placed them didn't think they needed some kind of story line - coords were a perfectly okay clue.

Here's a forum thread with some interesting illustration of the standard Dartmoor Heath letterbox clues of the 1990

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=326036&view=findpost&p=5428792

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I'm pretty sure I got it nailed as to what exactly the OP is wanting.

I wasn't reacting to your research. I was reacting to the blanket claim that there was no reason to change the coordinates of other cache types.

As I said, why fiddle with inputting coordinates for those other reasons you mentioned when you can "create new waypoint" and name it something relevant?

I'm not familiar with this "create new waypoint" feature you're referring to, and I don't know why I should be forced to use it when what I want to do is change the cache's coordinates permanently the same way I do with the other cache types where the posted coordinates aren't useful.

If I don't agree with the published coordinates of a cache, I can always post my log, and note the coordinates I have in the "Add a coordinate to this log" option.

I appreciate that, and if I see your log with better coordinates, I'll adjust the cache's coordinates in my database so it shows up where it really is, not where the CO posted it.

No argument there, but the fact that there are different opinions about about what is and isn't a "?" cache provides yet another reason not to limit the coordinate update mechanism to "?" caches.

There have been several requests to be able to edit coords on LBH.

As a casual observer, I see these as requests to stop preventing being able to edit coordinates on other cache types. Surely most of the cache page is the same for all caches, and the problem here is that they made this adjust facility specific to mystery and multi caches when they could just as easily made it general purpose.

It would make sense to be able to edit coords for LBH, as they can be Mystery types, with stamp. Heck it would make sense to able to edit on all cache types, with possible exception Trads and Events.

And here, the way I'd put it is that they should leave it up to the user whether or not it makes sense to adjust any particular cache's coordinates.