Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Tante.Hossi

2005 - 2015 -- 10 years of Waymarking

Looking for something historical background on Waymarking I stumbled into an old German Geocaching Forum on a discussion of a new game called 'Waymarking'. The entries are from August 2005. Thus, we seem to be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.

Anyone know about it more accurate? (veteran players or someone from the Lackeys)

Has anyone clear evidence of the exact date?

The domain 'Waymarking.com' has already been registered on 2004-09-28.

It would be a crying shame if we forget our own anniversary.

When 10-year anniversary of geocaching, there were worldwide special events (even with its own cache icon!).

Looking for something historical background on Waymarking I stumbled into an old German Geocaching Forum on a discussion of a new game called 'Waymarking'. The entries are from August 2005. Thus, we seem to be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.

Anyone know about it more accurate? (veteran players or someone from the Lackeys)

Has anyone clear evidence of the exact date?

The domain 'Waymarking.com' has already been registered on 2004-09-28.

It would be a crying shame if we forget our own anniversary.

When 10-year anniversary of geocaching, there were worldwide special events (even with its own cache icon!).

Very good point to think about! And interesting discussion forum you linked, thank you!! Especially text of the Groundspeak letter to LL caches owners is something to keep and preserve. Let's hope that our hobby is not dead and this year seems to be good chance to remind people we are still here playing, Waymarking and we can celebrate our milestones too!

I would stick to publish date of WM1 (August 11, 2005) as real beginning of Waymarking game.

August 11 (or weekend before - August 8-9) 2015 seems like good day for worldwide geocaching / Waymarking day with events to organize.

What do you think? Are you in?

We may even ask Groundspeak lackeys to create special Waymarking souvenir for this day.

However it's quite tricky to ask them to promote their website that has not been developed for so many years <_<

Wow, I just spotted my little anniversary day is TODAY! :laughing:

What a coincidence!!! :ph34r:

Ugh. I personally wouldn't want to combine a Waymarking thing with a Geocaching thing. It's not that I hate Geocaching -- I still do it from time to time. But I wouldn't like to perpetuate the "Waymarking is an also-ran" mentality by grouping it with a GC event.

Waymarking stands on its own feet. It's special. Let it have it's own anniversary event!

BTW, interesting thing is that August isn't far from the Annual Waymarking Day in September.

I am the owner of WM6, approved on August 15, 2005 by Jeremy himself. That's right, the sixth waymark ever created, and approved on the public launch date.

It received two legit visits in 2006 and three bogus visits prior to that. No activity since. And that is why I quit creating new waymarks. I am old school and, like my geocache hides, I was creating waymarks with the intention that people would enjoy visiting them. I perceive no reward without that, which makes me sad. I stay involved solely to keep alive the categories which I founded -- several of which were done as part of the initial launch. I was a beta tester before that.

I first learned of the vision for Waymarking in September 2003 while hiking to a cache in the Seattle area with Jeremy. It was hard to keep that a secret! I guess I never changed my mindset from that initial vision. I did want to let readers know that the history of the idea goes back way beyond the 2005 launch.

Edited by The Leprechauns

My wife is from Pittsburgh, and we used to be around there a couple of times per year, at least. But now that her mother and father have passed on, and her brother and sisters are scattered to elsewhere in the US, we haven't been back there since 2006.

Good to hear some about the early days of Waymarking. I actually do enjoy visiting other folks' Waymarks, and have racked up quite a few visits. Visiting is what got me started in Waymarking. In fact, I only have more Waymarks posted than visited (of other folks') because I'm the main Waymarker in my area, since GEO*Trailblazer 1 died. Otherwise I'd have many more visits of other folks' Waymarks. I'm having to range wider from home to get them now. But I enjoy visiting them about equally with creating my own.

True Story -

Several years ago, I had an email forwarded to me from the Groundspeak HQ. This very nice lady had sent a very nice message thanking the waymarker (me) who had waymarked the headstone of their relative. I have never had an "official" visit to this Woodmen headstone, but I will never forget that I assisted someone in their ancestry research. I know that several of my older waymarks are no longer in existence, and a major mall in my area is due to be torn down with one of my original waymarks being the only record.

So, I've got waymarks that have had many visits and have many more that never have been visited. Waymarking is a completely different mindset - all lot of the Waymarking categories are for the thirst of knowledge - especially the cemetery and historical categories that I do...

Again, true story...

I turned 53 today, and to celebrate my birthday, I went geocaching and went to a geocaching event in a small town about 15 miles west of my home. I claimed one other geocache, got bored, and ended up Waymarking several buildings downtown. I haven't given up on geocaching - I just think that lifting a skirt isn't what the original concept was...

So, in less than two weeks, I'm going to invade Arkansas with both my camera and my GPS to waymark and to geocache. On the way, though, this Jayhawker will hafta see his buddy MountainWoods and see IF a Kansan and a Missourian can get along for an hour or two! ;)

Just remember, I was an Illinoisian for a LOT more years than I was a Missourian. Looking forward to meeting you, and happy birthday. Mine is just 6 days before you, but also a few years earlier.

Incidentally, I found a couple of Geocaches this last weekend, to end my several month no-find streak. As usual, one of them was quite good, and the other was soggy, ripped paper on a semi-container laying out on the ground!

I also visited several Waymarks out in Oklahoma. I'm almost at 900 Waymarks posted, and the weather is getting me in the mood for more Waymarking!

I am the owner of WM6, approved on August 15, 2005 by Jeremy himself. That's right, the sixth waymark ever created, and approved on the public launch date.

It received two legit visits in 2006 and three bogus visits prior to that. No activity since. And that is why I quit creating new waymarks. I am old school and, like my geocache hides, I was creating waymarks with the intention that people would enjoy visiting them. I perceive no reward without that, which makes me sad. I stay involved solely to keep alive the categories which I founded -- several of which were done as part of the initial launch. I was a beta tester before that.

I first learned of the vision for Waymarking in September 2003 while hiking to a cache in the Seattle area with Jeremy. It was hard to keep that a secret! I guess I never changed my mindset from that initial vision. I did want to let readers know that the history of the idea goes back way beyond the 2005 launch.

I have a waymark that was approved on 8-15-2005 (by mtn-man). I guess it still has the distinction of being the oldest unvisited waymark on the site. I know people have visited it, they've told me. But no one has ever gotton around to logging it.

True Story -

Several years ago, I had an email forwarded to me from the Groundspeak HQ. This very nice lady had sent a very nice message thanking the waymarker (me) who had waymarked the headstone of their relative. I have never had an "official" visit to this Woodmen headstone, but I will never forget that I assisted someone in their ancestry research.

We, or Barb, at least, had a similar experience when a lady sent an email thanking Barb for Waymarking her relative's headstone. That got Barb to thinking and, long story short, she began helping out at Find A Grave, supplying requested information. This explains, in part at least, why we hang around a lot of cemeteries on our Waymarking trips. To date Barb has done 159 Worldwide Cemeteries and has something like 250 on the books for our upcoming trip.

As for having our waymarks visited - we figger that the more you put out there, the better the chances of one's being visited. Given enough time, they'll all get visited eventually. We're in no rush.

Keith