privacy

at the moment my family has a caching name, but I am now separated from my husband, and I want to get my own name. I know he is always looking at our profile when he has the kids and I have days on my own. he can see where I have been , who I have been caching with etc. I don't like it. is there a way I can stop him from viewing my profile and all my caching history etc if I get a new profile?

thanks

There is no privacy on the internet.

That being said, make a new account. Still no privacy, but he won't know that the new geocacher is you. But there is always the chance he'll figure it out. New cacher caching with your geocaching friends, and no activity on your account... which brings us back to my first point. There's no privacy on the internet.

Write to Groundspeak and state your case. It's worth a shot.

There should be an option to keep your profile private. My biggest beef is that Groundspeak makes it very easy for anyone to get a handy chronological list of where you've been by clicking the "All geocache finds" link on your profile. But 90% of the people on the forums feel it's their right to know you've been out of state twice in 2013 and yesterday you must have taken the day off because you found 30 caches 100 miles away.

If you still want an account on the GC site you can change your trail name once every couple of weeks. that might help throw him off track. Choose a name that's more common. In my area I would pick bushman###. There are already 3 bushman's (followed by a set of numbers) locally.

Or just don't log your finds online but keep track of them in your own offline database (GSAK or whatever).

With GSAK can you mark your caches as found, then will it keep track so that next time you download 1000 caches in the area you can set it to filter out all the caches you marked as found via GSAK (but did not log as found on GC.com)?

Say instead of a Found log, the OP posts Note logs, then puts the found cache on her ignore list. Can she keep a GSAK file of all her found caches (the ones that are now on her ignore list)?

Or just don't log your finds online but keep track of them in your own offline database (GSAK or whatever).

Personally, as a cache owner I'd rather people be allowed to suppress their finds from public view then not log a find on one of our caches. As an owner it's the public feedback that motivates me. What I'd like to see is visible logs on each cache page but the option to suppress the "All Geocache Finds" link.

at the moment my family has a caching name, but I am now separated from my husband, and I want to get my own name. I know he is always looking at our profile when he has the kids and I have days on my own. he can see where I have been , who I have been caching with etc. I don't like it. is there a way I can stop him from viewing my profile and all my caching history etc if I get a new profile?

thanks

Yes, you'll need your own caching name and profile. I DO wish they had a block feature, though. I went through a similar thing.

I think that's the only meaningful solution. Creating a new account and keeping your logging habits the same is only security by obscurity.

Edit: You can still share your experience with the owner, just send a mail instead of logging online.

Edited by Rebore

I think that's the only meaningful solution. Creating a new account and keeping your logging habits the same is only security by obscurity.

Edit: You can still share your experience with the owner, just send a mail instead of logging online.

This it the only really secure option I can see too.

Do you think you can lay low for a while, and then log your finds when the dust settles?

Some options that I think haven't been mentioned yet:

• Use a profile photo that doesn't seem like you. Just an added distraction to throw someone 'off the scent'. For example, a sports logo if you're not into sports, a hot rod car if you're not a motorhead, etc.
  • Use 'personal cache notes' -- when you find a cache, then don't log anything and enter a personal cache note with the date you found it. You could exclude those caches from search results by selecting "Has Personal Geocache Note = No". You still couldn't exclude them from PQ's though. I'd probably add the cache to a bookmark list at the same time. In case PQ options change and you can exclude bookmarked caches from search results, then you wouldn't have to go back to each cache page...and if your situation reaches a stage where you feel comfortable logging your finds, then you can go through the bookmark list and log all those finds using the date in the 'personal cache note'.
  • Log your finds, but use a prior date. You'd have to be a bit selective about this though. If you found a cache on 1/5 with a group of friends, then maybe date your "found" log as 1/4. You wouldn't want to do this if you were FTF or if the cache was disabled on 1/4 and you the re-enabled on 1/5 before you found it. If you're caching by yourself, then you could use the actual date of your find. And remember that you can always log a bit late, like wait a week before logging your finds/notes/etc.

The only tab on the profile that can be hidden from other users is the "Statistics" tab. I think it would be good to have some privacy options on the site. It's like other threads where people are upset that the "Found by" option isn't available in the new search and they have to go through more clicks to see all the caches someone else has found. Personally, I think it's better that it's not so easy to follow what other people are doing. People can still find it, but they're upset that they have to click more.

I never used to think that this was a big deal, but I've changed my mind.

Folks should have the ability to block their profile from view of others.

I don't know how it would be possible to render logs on cache pages not visible, because that would be the thing that folks would need most to protect themselves.

If he's stalking your profile, then he can stalk your forum posts, too.

It does seem that, right now, an absence from any internet activity is the only way to combat the problem.

B.

thanks

There's no privacy on gc.com whatsoever. Anyone can look up any type of logs that you made via API. That include notes as well. Late logging is wont hide anything because anyone can fished it out within seconds.

Best way is to get another account name and hopeful he doesn' figured that its you.

Or just quit Geocaching. Sad thing is that I know a few people done this because of situations like you are dealing with.

Edited by SwineFlew

First, I don't see why you feel the need to hide your geocaching activities from anyone. You're not doing anything wrong (are you?), and you are logging after the fact. I don't understand how it puts you at any risk to say you had a good, healthy time outdoors. Maybe you are just feeling vulnerable during this temporary transitional situation in your life.

After reading the posts here, it does occur to me that strangers DO have access to a he-uge amount of information on us compared to most other sites. Our basic profile page allows access to photos, statistics every which-way, bookmarks of places we're going, travel habits, and events we plan to attend.

The majority of info is historical so "why not", but one has to ask "why" display all this in public. The Will Attends and photos especially should be protected. Maybe take a hint from FaceSpace and MyBook and only display photos and Will Attends to "Friends".

It's too bad there's not a privacy option.

For now, I think your best bet is to use the personal cache notes or GSAK and log things later.

I don't know your ex, but I'm guessing he will eventually lose interest.

You could create a new account. This might work, but he might found out your new name and then you're back at square one.

Don't log on the same day you found it. Log them later. If a CO asks you can say you are traveling. Don't have your home coords near your home.

I don't know about that home coordinates thing. I suspect he knows where she lives since he probably picks up the kids for their time with him.

First, I don't see why you feel the need to hide your geocaching activities from anyone.

I suspect that you've never been stalked by someone. I know plenty of folks in those sort of situations. "Creepy" doesn't even begin to describe it.

Regrettably, in the age of the ubiquitous Internet, victims of stalking often have to choose between defending their privacy and being able to fully participate in social media.

The OP's request is not an unreasonable one. Many responders here have suggested ways to try and "work around" the lack of a fully private geocaching.com profile. None are perfect; neither is the original situation that is being addressed.

Many responders here have suggested ways to try and "work around" the lack of a fully private geocaching.com profile.

I don't think a fully private profile could work with the game as we play it:-

If a profile was private such that their logs are only visible to them, then that would detract from the cache listings - how would other finders, or the CO know whether a cache has had visitors, whether they were DNFs, NMs, NAs or finds?

If a profile was private such that any logs from the user were anonymised to hide their identity then it would still be possible to spot that a particular cacher has stopped logging and suddenly in that area a bunch of anonymous logs start appearing and putting 2 & 2 together could lead to a conclusion. Therefore this isn't really private.

Also I think that having the ability to hide behind a private profile would lead to some people using that feature to hide while causing mischief on caches/cachers.

So to me the interactive/associative nature of this game more or less rules out full privacy.

If the OP thinks that her ex may turn out to be a stalker then yes, the best thing to do would be to not have an account at all. This would go for not only gc.com, but for any other social type site. It would be a pain but she would have to keep her cache history going using gsak, on a spreadsheet type program, or with notebook and pen.

If she is not worried that her ex will be stalking her every move, she just wants to separate herself from him as much as possible, then maybe a new account would be in order. Myself, i would stick with generic profile information and have my home coordinates set a ways from home. My logs would be either very generic or written in a style that i didn't nomally use.

First, I don't see why you feel the need to hide your geocaching activities from anyone. You're not doing anything wrong (are you?), and you are logging after the fact. I don't understand how it puts you at any risk to say you had a good, healthy time outdoors. Maybe you are just feeling vulnerable during this temporary transitional situation in your life.

Possibly an abusive or jealous ex-husband, perhaps? Could be other reasons as well, including children that are at risk. No way of knowing. Not our place to ask, really.

As much as the privacy button might be nice as said above it is tough to be private in a game that requires logging of finds. Only way to stay private is give false locations for your home coordinates, make a screen name that is not your name or something recognized. I do not think there is a way to just read profiles unless you click them right?

Hate to say it but if you are that worried about an ex or are actually hiding from a stalker or abusive partner you need to just not be on here. It is unlikely they could find you here by using the above tips, even if they knew you were still caching. Unless they got your screen name from a child they still could not do much. We log after the fact so it's not like they'd show up while your out on the hunt. Compared to what somewill put out on Facebook every second they move this site really is pretty benign.

Get a new profile, and impress upon your friends the importance of not mentioning you in their logs or including you in photos.

I think it might help, as others have advised, to also make the new account generic and/or misleading about your location and other interests. You could become an erratic logger, too: sometimes prompt, sometimes way behind on logging finds.

Many responders here have suggested ways to try and "work around" the lack of a fully private geocaching.com profile.

I don't think a fully private profile could work with the game as we play it:-

If a profile was private such that their logs are only visible to them, then that would detract from the cache listings - how would other finders, or the CO know whether a cache has had visitors, whether they were DNFs, NMs, NAs or finds?

If a profile was private such that any logs from the user were anonymised to hide their identity then it would still be possible to spot that a particular cacher has stopped logging and suddenly in that area a bunch of anonymous logs start appearing and putting 2 & 2 together could lead to a conclusion. Therefore this isn't really private.

Also I think that having the ability to hide behind a private profile would lead to some people using that feature to hide while causing mischief on caches/cachers.

So to me the interactive/associative nature of this game more or less rules out full privacy.

On the AQ site your trailname can be pseudo-anonymous. The box owner sees it, other boxers looking at the box's find list see 'undisclosed'. This feature rarely gets used. I did a search and couldn't find an example.

More importantly, IMO is the chronological list of finds.

Example:

d1e1d6b0-a20c-4764-84e8-e21381fab892_l.png

789dd64e-ba1b-446c-bdae-27fd1f54c87a.png

Here's the AQ letterboxing website's optional privacy settings:

4f33712d-ee7c-46ba-bfed-81357f547d42.png

Like here in the forums, some people in the AQ forums demanded that they should see everyone's finds, no exception. The site's webmaster/owner felt it verged on creepy that they were angry at the possibility that they might not be able to see some people's chronological list of finds. He upheld the rights of the minority and set the default to private. People who set up an account automatically get a private find list. If you want your chronological list of finds to be publicly displayed, you set it up in preferences. Otherwise a find count is displayed, but not linked.

The change was made about 5 years ago. The people who felt strongly that all accounts should have a public find list, stopped fussing about it almost immediately. It hasn't affected my letterboxing activity negatively.

Most people on AQ share their list, a few don't. It's likely that the same would happen here - very few would suppress their chronological list, but those who do would feel more comfortable using the site and accurately logging their finds.

Possibly an abusive or jealous ex-husband, perhaps? Could be other reasons as well, including children that are at risk. No way of knowing. Not our place to ask, really.

So how does hiding your profile help any of these situations? Anything you log is hours to days after you've been there. Whats a stalker gona do with that? Visit caches after you're long gone? Unless you're pasting your address or other personal info on your page, there is simply no point to hiding it, and if you're doing that, you need to learn appropriate online behavior anyway, not expect everyone else to cover your carelessness.

So how does hiding your profile help any of these situations? Anything you log is hours to days after you've been there. Whats a stalker gona do with that? Visit caches after you're long gone? Unless you're pasting your address or other personal info on your page, there is simply no point to hiding it, and if you're doing that, you need to learn appropriate online behavior anyway, not expect everyone else to cover your carelessness.

She said: "I know he is always looking at our profile when he has the kids and I have days on my own. he can see where I have been , who I have been caching with etc. I don't like it."

Does she have to have more of a reason than that? She doesn't like it. She wants to keep her recreational activities a little more private and Groundspeak has the power to make it happen. She doesn't want to be forced to share where's she's been with an x-husband. Her x may not be a stalker or a threat, but maybe he's a jerk who watches where she's been and makes snarky comments. Is there a compelling reason why everyone should have free access to her caching history?

I don't think blocking would be adequate. He could create a new account to check on his wife's activities. The option to remove the 'all cache finds' link should create enough of a roadblock to stop most people from bothering to stalk/watch someone's account.

Don't log on the same day you found it. Log them later. If a CO asks you can say you are traveling. Don't have your home coords near your home.

I don't know about that home coordinates thing. I suspect he knows where she lives since he probably picks up the kids for their time with him.

+1

She said: "I know he is always looking at our profile when he has the kids and I have days on my own. he can see where I have been , who I have been caching with etc. I don't like it."

Does she have to have more of a reason than that? She doesn't like it. She wants to keep her recreational activities a little more private and Groundspeak has the power to make it happen. She doesn't want to be forced to share where's she's been with an x-husband. Her x may not be a stalker or a threat, but maybe he's a jerk who watches where she's been and makes snarky comments. Is there a compelling reason why everyone should have free access to her caching history?

I don't think blocking would be adequate. He could create a new account to check on his wife's activities. The option to remove the 'all cache finds' link should create enough of a roadblock to stop most people from bothering to stalk/watch someone's account.

+1!!

Somebody comes here to ask a question, and there is an immediate pile-on of "Why would you even want to ask that question?!?" Good grief. Either answer it, or shut up.

Totally agree! My sister (not a cacher) just went through a somewhat bad divorce; in fact, after she moved out (while he was gone for a weekend), she went about 70-80 miles away and was living under an assumed name. He still found her! (He has friends in law enforcement) She moved from there, but had to come back to this town for lawyer's appts, and he apparently had 1 of the private investigators he'd hired follow her, so he knew again where she lived!

People be crazy!!

As a premium member, the easiest way to hide activity and still use most of the functionality of the site is to utilize the ignore feature and do not log any caches. If you are not logging finds or notes, he shouldn't be able to see where you have been. But ignoring found caches will keep them from showing up in searches, pocket queries, etc., so you can still search for unfound caches easily.

As a premium member, the easiest way to hide activity and still use most of the functionality of the site is to utilize the ignore feature and do not log any caches. If you are not logging finds or notes, he shouldn't be able to see where you have been. But ignoring found caches will keep them from showing up in searches, pocket queries, etc., so you can still search for unfound caches easily.

Is she expected to forfeit the features she paid for, like filtering out found caches? We pay to use an ignore list to remove caches we don't want to hunt, she would not have that option. She would have to mix caches she has found, with caches she would rather not find. What about challenge caches? Does she forfeit the opportunity to qualify for challenge caches? Seems unfair to suggest solutions that require her to pay for membership but not get the same benefits that you and I, and her x enjoy. Just so we all have access to her cache history.

Edited by L0ne.R

Is she expected to forfeit the features she paid for, like filtering out found caches? We pay to use an ignore list to remove caches we don't want to hunt, she would not have that option. She would have to mix caches she has found, with caches she would rather not find. What about challenge caches? Does she forfeit the opportunity to qualify for challenge caches? Seems unfair to suggest solutions that require her to pay for membership but not get the same benefits that you and I, and her x enjoy. Just so we all have access to her cache history.

I'm not disagreeing. Just suggesting the way I do it as a stop gap solution. I would much prefer to log finds normally as well. ;)