Deleting "TFTC" Logs

Hey everybody. I recently received a series of logs that consisted of just TFTC on some of my caches. These caches are well maintained nice containers (Ammo cans, lock and locks, etc.) with log book, swag and a nice location. I deleted these logs without hesitating and received an email from the cacher asking why I deleted his finds. I responded by saying TFTC is not an acceptable log alone of unique well maintained caches in nice locations. I just wanted to see what is everyone else's point of view on this and if this is grounds for deleting a log. Thanks! :)

Hey everybody. I recently received a series of logs that consisted of just TFTC on some of my caches. These caches are well maintained nice containers (Ammo cans, lock and locks, etc.) with log book, swag and a nice location. I deleted these logs without hesitating and received an email from the cacher asking why I deleted his finds. I responded by saying TFTC is not an acceptable log alone of unique well maintained caches in nice locations. I just wanted to see what is everyone else's point of view on this and if this is grounds for deleting a log. Thanks! :)

My opinion is that you had no right to delete the logs if they were legitimate finds. Did you check the log book?

Your opinion of what is a crappy log matters not, if they found the cache and signed the log book. I've seen online logs consisting of nothing but ".".

If that were the case, then there wouldn't be many online logs for any caches anywhere.

I'm shocked by your action, and your very lame excuse for doing it.

Groundspeak will hopefully reinstate those logs.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Ok, didn't expect the hostility but ok. :huh: I thought you guys would be a little more friendly but just some salty geocachers. :rolleyes: I get it now, just wanted to see what was the acceptable action for this. I have emailed the cacher and explained the situation and my action, we have worked it out and his finds are back. And in response to pup patrol this wasn't a lame excuse those were lame logs and I didn't know the conduct, grow up and act like an adult. Arthur and Trillian, your comment makes little no sense. I was disappointed by a series of lame logs on highly favorited caches. I would actually like to question your ability to be a CO with the amount of archived hides you have that never even managed to garner a single favorite point in years, not saying favorites are the only way to measure a cache but come on now. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Ok, didn't expect the hostility but ok. :huh: I thought you guys would be a little more friendly

You need to think about the cacher that spend all the time tracking down these caches, how do you think they felt when they just got their "find" invalidated. I'm curious, before you called anyone here hostile, if you even thought about that aspect?

Ok, didn't expect the hostility but ok. :huh: I thought you guys would be a little more friendly

You need to think about the cacher that spend all the time tracking down these caches, how do you think they felt when they just got their "find" invalidated. I'm curious, before you called anyone here hostile, if you even thought about that aspect?

Yes, you were pretty hostile towards the finder by deleting legitimate logs. It's just a fact that as a cache owner you have to accept. Some people, no matter how great or wonderful the cache (or how great and wonderful the cache owner thinks their cache is), will only log with TFTC or as little as the system will allow. Hold your nose and move on in life.

I don't like it either but as long as they found and signed the logsheet there is not much you can do. I too wish to be allowed to delete them but not much can be done. If I were you I would go out and see if they actually signed them.

For future reference, see the Help Center article Log Deletion.

As others have mentioned, the acceptable reasons for deleting a log are pretty limited. For most caches, it comes down to (1) not actually finding the cache or (2) language that violates the Terms of Use. Some cache types can have additional requirements, like posting a webcam photo for a webcam cache, or completing the challenge of a challenge cache, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

I have to agree with the others. There are a number of different things to consider with this.

1. Add a note in your geocache descriptions asking that the finders take a moment to look around the site, and write a little something about what they enjoyed about their find, especially if you're asking for feedback to make future hides even better. Naturally this isn't going to guarantee no more TFTC logs, but it might make the finder give a little extra thought and a few more keystrokes to their log.

2. Privately and ***POLITELY*** (the key word here!) e-mail the person and let them know that you'd love to hear more about their experience with your hide, and if they wouldn't mind writing more in their log to help appeal to other future cachers.

3. Consider things from the cacher's perspective. Yes, you took the time, money, thought, and effort to place the cache. But they also took their time, money (gas money), thought (deciding to seek out your cache amongst their many choices), and effort to go find it. As a CO, of course you have every right to WANT more than just a four letter log which has about as much insult to any semi-experienced cacher as the four letter words our mothers wouldn't let us say, but it's not your RIGHT to demand that. Furthermore, if the cacher is new, or just never learned otherwise, maybe they genuinely didn't know that TFTC is not desirable. When I first started caching, I did it solo. I picked up everything I knew from the website and the Idiots Guide to Geocaching, and for all I knew, TFTC was exactly what you were supposed to put in your log. It wasn't till I got more experience and started hearing CO's venting a bit about the frustrations of TFTC-only logs that I learned to start writing more. If every CO who got one of my TFTC logs deleted it, I'd have gotten really frustrated really quickly at my numbers getting screwed with and probably would have given up the sport.

4. Consider your motivation. Frankly, if you're placing hides so that people will tell you how wonderful and brilliant you are, or how looking for your cache enriched their lives, maybe you should reconsider your reasons for becoming a CO.

5. Recognize that everyone plays the game a little differently. Me, I love to write big, long logs (sure that's not a surprise considering the length of this post...) because I like to share my experience. But then again, I usually only go after a couple finds at a time - most in one day for me was fifteen, and that was pretty extreme for me. But there are people who will go on power trails, or go after dozens or even a hundred or more finds in one day. They love the numbers aspect of the game. Not every cache will stand out to them, and if they're logging in the field or trying to hurry along to the next cache, maybe they don't feel that they need to take the time to write more than TFTC. Whatever the case, as long as they found the cache, signed the log, and logged online, they weren't doing anything wrong.

That's my two cents on the deal!

2. Privately and ***POLITELY*** (the key word here!) e-mail the person and let them know that you'd love to hear more about their experience with your hide, and if they wouldn't mind writing more in their log to help appeal to other future cachers.

In My Humble Opinion, I wouldn't do this unless you can deal with a wide variety of responses....some will be thoughtful, some will be hostile, most will not reply (and if you can't handle a "TFTC", then you will likely not be able to handle a hostile reply)...

If they are local cachers, try to meet up with them at an event. Get to know them a bit, then maybe invite them to go out caching. Show them (mentor) how you cache and log, but don't force your ideals upon them...give reasoning for why and what you do. Just letting them see how others approach the game might broaden their understanding and allow them to mold their approach.

Edited by Uncle Alaska

Let me see if I understand this. You put out caches for people to enjoy. Someone found your caches, enjoyed them, and said thank-you. And you're upset with them? To the point of taking revenge by deleting their finds?! And you post about it here as if it made sense and we should sympathize with you? Man, are your priorities messed up.

Well I understand the frustration on your part, I have been the recipient of many weak logs. I think the problem lies in your expectation. You feel that you have put a great deal of effort into your caches, your expecting others to feel that way is a mistake. There are many cachers that don't log anything online and so you wouldn't know that they visited your cache, but they did. So receiving the online log is really a courtesy and not mandatory to the success of the arrangement. If you are putting out a cache it is likely with the intention of being found, past that you may be asking too much, it is like loving someone and assuming that they must love you back. I get it, but I am sorry to say that you over reacted and are on the losing side of this debate. Live and learn, we all get our nose bent at some point, but we straighten it up and grow from it. Hope this wasn't too scarring, but at least you know how the community feels now.

Like the log or not, you're completely in the wrong on this one. If I were you, I'd email them and apologize for your actions.

Well then so are you. Yes it would be wrong to delete the log. But it's not wrong for someone to expect an actual word. TFTC isn't even an actual word. If you can't understand where the OP is coming from, well I don't have anything nice to say.

Like the log or not, you're completely in the wrong on this one. If I were you, I'd email them and apologize for your actions.

Well then so are you. Yes it would be wrong to delete the log. But it's not wrong for someone to expect an actual word. TFTC isn't even an actual word. If you can't understand where the OP is coming from, well I don't have anything nice to say.

Actually it is not only wrong to expect a certain log it is clearly against the guidelines and always has been. The cache owner had no right to judge a log. The only exceptions are sorting vulgar or a spoiler. Some people log with a simple period. You did not get a hostile response. You got a response that was accurate in every case.

Thank you to those who provided polite, correct answers about the standards for log deletion.

The question, which I believe was innocently founded, prompted very strong and blunt replies from others. In turn, the OP answered those posts in a similar tone. That negative tone now pervades the thread, and I am closing it.

Imagine the conversation that could have been held, had all been respectful of questions asked and opinions/answers given.