My thoughts on the new design... ugh!

binarymayhem

yeah its so bad also the stupid ads keep popping up im just angry and thinking about to stop with geocaching because its just gone worser then ever in a couple weeks.

I have them too. There are on the right side of every listing page. This is my work computer and they have so many security features built into this thing I can barely surf the web. I just noticed them the last few days.

I can muddle my way around the new design and find things easy enough, but the satellite view of the map is horrible now. You used to be able to zoom in quite nicely to spot landmarks or cord locations, all the map options I tried have OLD images and no tight zooming. Please add google maps or something !!!

I'm not aware of any recent changes to the map, other than the header bar at the top that was changed for all pages. As a Premium member, you should still have the same access to the Google Maps as you have for several years (since the last major change to the map).

One possibility is that your settings have somehow switched to the "Leaflet" map preferences, rather than Google Maps. To switch back, click "Set map preferences" in the map's sidebar.

I can muddle my way around the new design and find things easy enough, but the satellite view of the map is horrible now. You used to be able to zoom in quite nicely to spot landmarks or cord locations, all the map options I tried have OLD images and no tight zooming. Please add google maps or something !!!
I think that's a separate issue from the new design. I think that's related to this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=331158

My first thought when I saw the new design was "did the page not load all the way?"

The new look is incredibly boring, the character of the site is gone in my opinion. It looks like one of those cookie cutter websites that you can make online with a WYSIWYG hosting website.

Also, there is not SO much wasted space. Before it seemed that all the space was being clearly used, but now it seems awfully empty.

Just my $0.02unsure.gif

One possibility is that your settings have somehow switched to the "Leaflet" map preferences, rather than Google Maps. To switch back, click "Set map preferences" in the map's sidebar.

So glad I stumbled across this info on setting map preferences! At first I thought it might be browser related, so I checked all three browsers I use and the map was the same in every one - no slider. I assumed its disappearance was yet another most unwelcome change with the big design overhaul.

It seems that Groundspeak has elected to use Leaflet as the default map along with all the other changes introduced. And I use the word changes, not improvements, quite deliberately. I, too, have been struggling quite a bit with the new design and have not yet found anything that I would call an improvement.

There are other things I have not yet found, either - still trying to figure out where they went. Thank heavens for forums.

Looks like a pretty ugly change in UI to me

• why do I get an ad in the bottom right hand corner ?
  • what does that ad track (how do you know I play golf) ?
  • how can I clear my browser settings to have you 'not' target the (ugh) ads ?
  • why can't we hide the ugly last-N-visited section ?
  • why do benchmarks found show up in my profile totals now (which totally hoses up my GSAK profile totals which track only caches) ?
  • why doesn't pocket queries show up unless I fight through the 'play' menu to find that pick ?

Looks like a pretty ugly change in UI to me

• why do I get an ad in the bottom right hand corner ?
  • what does that ad track (how do you know I play golf) ?
  • how can I clear my browser settings to have you 'not' target the (ugh) ads ?

No new ads have been added (AFAIK), though they did recently change the size/shape of the ads, and the type of content also seems to have changed. As for the tracking, that's done by Google, whose AdSense service is being used by Groundspeak. You'll probably have to do some (ironically) Googling to see if there's a way to block or reset the tracking.

• why can't we hide the ugly last-N-visited section ?

Good question. I'm still hoping the option to hide it is returned in one of the upcoming site updates, but we're stuck with it for now.

• why do benchmarks found show up in my profile totals now (which totally hoses up my GSAK profile totals which track only caches) ?

Are you sure they do? I've logged 7 benchmarks, but the only number I see anywhere is "4605", which is my total of cache finds. At least for me, benchmarks are definitely not included in any total anywhere outside of my third-party GSAK stats. If your GSAK stats are up to date and include all of your most recent finds, I'd wager that the difference of 5 is due to your 5 Lab Cache finds. Note that these are not included in a My Finds PQ and need to be added manually to GSAK.

• why doesn't pocket queries show up unless I fight through the 'play' menu to find that pick ?

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Can you explain further what you're trying to do and what isn't working? I can currently access the PQ page either through the Play menu or from my Quick View page.

[*]why do benchmarks found show up in my profile totals now (which totally hoses up my GSAK profile totals which track only caches) ?

Looking at your stats, with benchmarks excluded:

1911+171+107+9+9+190+1+2+10+28+2+5=2445

2445 matches exactly what your total is. If you included the 5 extra for benchmarks, it would be 2450.

[*]why do benchmarks found show up in my profile totals now (which totally hoses up my GSAK profile totals which track only caches) ?

Looking at your stats, with benchmarks excluded:

1911+171+107+9+9+190+1+2+10+28+2+5=2445

2445 matches exactly what your total is. If you included the 5 extra for benchmarks, it would be 2450.

I'm wondering if it is including 'lab caches' which aren't real caches as GSAK counts them. I have 5 of them, which matches the difference between my GSAK stats and my geocaching.com stats.

And why do I continually get asked if I want to show my profile whenever I view my profile page ?