Release Notes (Website: Navigation changes) - March 25, 2015

Before the change, I could access my bookmarks (lists?) page directly from a bookmark list. Now, when I'm on a particular bookmark list, there's no link at the top back to my bookmarks page. It would be helpful if I could "go up a level" into my bookmarks page from an individual list again.
After editing/creating a PQ, how do I get back to the list of all PQs?

There used to be a link on top of the editing page. It's gone.

This. Neither the PQs or Bookmarks page have a link back to the 'top' level of its section. Well, aside from going 'back' by using the link in the Play dropdown menu... I think, intuitively, one would expect a link back to the PQ/Bookmark parent page when viewing or editing a child from the list.

(it's the page navigation hierarchy line that has been removed)

Where did you hide the search function for the database of benchmarks?

Knowledge Base article says to type in a zip code at the top of "this page," but that obviously won't work.

Ah, here it is.

Now, that makes me wonder about how Waymarking is treated.

Thank you msrubble,

The question is, how or where did you get to "here it is"?

The link can also be found in the 'Search Options' block of your profile page (clicking your name in the upper right) as View nearby benchmarks.

Edited by thebruce0
Before the change, I could access my bookmarks (lists?) page directly from a bookmark list. Now, when I'm on a particular bookmark list, there's no link at the top back to my bookmarks page. It would be helpful if I could "go up a level" into my bookmarks page from an individual list again.

This. Neither the PQs or Bookmarks page have a link back to the 'top' level of its section. Well, aside from going 'back' by using the link in the Play dropdown menu... I think, intuitively, one would expect a link back to the PQ/Bookmark parent page when viewing or editing a child from the list.

(it's the page navigation hierarchy line that has been removed)

Where did you hide the search function for the database of benchmarks?

Knowledge Base article says to type in a zip code at the top of "this page," but that obviously won't work.

Ah, here it is.

Now, that makes me wonder about how Waymarking is treated.

Thank you msrubble,

The question is, how or where did you get to "here it is"?

The link can also be found in the 'Search Options' block of your profile page (clicking your name in the upper right) as View nearby benchmarks.

Thank you thebruce0, but that just takes you to the nearby benchmarks list which really does no good, if you have found other marks and want to log them. If you click on the link at the top of that link that says New Search - that takes you to the advanced search page for benchmarks and not the the Benchmark Hunting page where I would think a link should go to find a particular mark for logging.

I think it was very simple and now if people have to search the entire site for what used to be at our fingertips, you might just push people away from our great hobby. Is that what you are trying to do? Or is it that you want new blood only and want to see all of the oldtimers go away?

Just stop and think about ease of use instead of how pretty it all is....

Shirley - an oldtimer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello from Europe!

Obviously, we can be controversial, since preferences in using the page are different.

But just some suggestions after my first look at the new page:

As a member since 2008 I find it sad that there are few really new gimmicks for me and other geo-nerds. After a release, the page is currently just transformed - and not more functional. I need after 7 years geocaching no "learning-video" any more. I also do not need Benchmarks in Europe. So knowing this, I would like really to modify the site/navigation to my needs (i.e. custom-menu). Everyone fits today his desktop or mobile phone individually. Only here it unfortunately does not work. Please do not throw the good old things to the garbage - rather create the opportunity to become more user-friendly with more user settings (turn functions on/off). Many of us 'oldtimers' love to play it the old way. Just let us decide, if we want the new "look and feel" or the "old one" (same as skins for webpages).

Anyhow, thank you for the developement/maintenance!

Edited by st3phan

To me, the changes are neither good nor bad - just different. But, I think the new look could use some tweaking.

> The "Geocaching Learn Play Community Shop" should be moved to withing the green strip at the top of the page. Learn should also be moved to the right end of those options, as the help button on most interfaces is to the right. This change would also eliminate some unnecessary white space.

> The "View Geocache Map" page does not have the "Learn Play Community Shop" options. Also, the users avatar and number of finds is missing on this page.

> I noticed on my Android device, that the Settings page has the "triple bar" at the right end of the green top strip. This is the only page I have seen this on. It works well and would be nice to have throughout the pages.

Just my 2 cents

The "Geocaching Learn Play Community Shop" should be moved to withing the green strip at the top of the page.

Excellent point, there's already room up there.

All the good stuff (user content) is way down "below the fold", while up at the top, we have plenty of white space. Not right.

<tongue-in-cheek>

Think of all the electricity spent scrolling!

</tongue-in-cheek>

So, I have to say that I'm liking the change...

But, here's the thing...

I signed up for the weekly email and the "other" email (Tip and Tricks), but rarely if ever see any kind of lead-in announcement for any change made whatsoever. So, when I opened my account for the first time this afternoon, I was quite surprised! I waited thinking that the page was still loading until I realized that what I was seeing was the new version of the site.

Am I missing emails and announcements somehow that let us know that these changes are coming? Wouldn't it be better (assuming that these emails don't, in fact, exist) to let users know when a release update happens, so they can be 1. directed to this thread, and 2. told ahead of time what to expect after "12:00pm Pacific Time" or whatever...?

That's my feedback. Other than that, nice work. Looks good. Will load nicely on my iphone and tablet, as well as my home computers.

Aaaaand...now that we've got this new look, it takes away the quick "My Profile>Lists" link. That's fine. Now I can access it by clicking my name and then "Lists" link at the top of the "My" page. Great! But, can we please see the lists organized better? Instead of the messy link list at the top of the page, it would be (and I've always thought this) much nicer to have clearer links to Watchlist, Bookmarks, and Favorites on the "Lists" page, instead of the messy, weird, awkward grey boxes (which are easy to overlook), and then the list of bookmarks at the end of the page. It just seems to me like an opportunity to fix that up after taking away the direct link from the main page that was there up until yesterday!

Well, it's definitely clean. IMO, too clean, however.

I'll start out by saying that I appreciate the work done by the developers. The work they produce generally functions well and does what it's designed to do. It's the direction the developers are being given that I feel is flawed.

Yet again, it appears that time has been spent on cosmetically changing things, while simultaneously making things less functional or harder to use. Previously-easily-accessed pages now take additional clicks, navigating to one or more intermediate pages, or are inaccessible altogether. What we're left with is a sea of empty space for no apparent reason. Why the aversion to providing easy access to the features members frequently use? The Profile menu was the one I used most frequently, to quickly get to my hides, trackables, and lists. Now I'm forced to go to my profile page first and locate each one in the glob of links at the top. I guess there were only 200 people using that menu and it was decided there was no point keeping it? <_<

Are you planning to re-fill those empty spaces with useful functionality at some point in the near future, or are they just going to remain empty and unnecessarily take up space? One would think that something like the oft-requested GC code search box could have been added into some of this empty space at the same time the header was being redesigned - and adding such a box would be unbelievably trivial - yet there's no sign of it. This just demonstrates further that the work done on the header was not done in an effort to make things easy for users.

Unifying the font across the site is a good idea that I fully support, but I'm not so sure this font is the best choice. Personally, I find it harder to read than the old one. The numbers in particular - which are a major part of a geolocation game - are very bad. The 9s look very odd, and the bolded coordinates on cache pages are blurry. My impression, without seeing both fonts side-by-side, is that the pitch is less than with the old font, packing characters closer together and generally making things harder to read. It could also be what klossner mentioned about the font being grey now and therefore less distinct. What's wrong with using black fonts? Using anything other than black on white just makes things harder to read for no apparent gain. Is Groundspeak charged a fee for the amount of black on a page or something?

Having worked with several IT organizations, I've seen how poorly things work when IT designs something based on their needs rather than the client's. The client's needs should be determined and, through consultation between IT and the client, a solution should be determined that can both be implemented by IT and will meet the needs of the client. What we're seeing happen here is the client's needs take a backseat to IT's desired implementation. TPTB are deciding what the membership needs, rather than doing their best to provide the membership with what they say they need. Sorry, but this just isn't sustainable. It alienates your existing membership, which is the bread-and-butter of this site.

Are these most recent changes the end of the world? No, they aren't. There have been poor choices made and some ease-of-use has been lost, but most functionality is still available, somewhere. However, it does further reinforce the impression that TPTB are making design decisions based on form over function, and that the desires of their users are still not being taken into account.

I'm not averse to change, but it has to be the right kind of change. Change can be good, but bad change can never be good.

Am I missing emails and announcements somehow that let us know that these changes are coming?

No, they don't send out announcements for website changes. There may have been a handful of instances of mentions in the newsletter (I can think of a couple recently about the new search, and maybe one back around the Google Map fiasco), but it seems to be used largely for marketing material.

They used to post a site-wide alert of upcoming down-time or changes at the top of the website template. Haven't seen any of those for a while... but maybe I just missed them.

I can only ever remember the yellow banner at the top of the page being used to announce planned service outages - not for changes which require no downtime.

At the top of the cache page is an active button "Add Cache to List". Where is this list that the cache was added to.

I'm not seeing such a button on cache pages. Can you describe where on the page you see it (ie. relative to other items on the page), or preferably post a screenshot?

Unifying the font across the site is a good idea that I fully support, but I'm not so sure this font is the best choice. Personally, I find it harder to read than the old one. The numbers in particular - which are a major part of a geolocation game - are very bad. The 9s look very odd, and the bolded coordinates on cache pages are blurry. My impression, without seeing both fonts side-by-side, is that the pitch is less than with the old font, packing characters closer together and generally making things harder to read. It could also be what klossner mentioned about the font being grey now and therefore less distinct. What's wrong with using black fonts? Using anything other than black on white just makes things harder to read for no apparent gain. Is Groundspeak charged a fee for the amount of black on a page or something?

Further to this part...

Looking more closely, it doesn't look like the font really has been unified. Looking just in the log section of a cache listing, I see at least two different typefaces, possibly even three.

As for the colour, I just tried temporarily modifying the text colour in my browser back to black and ohh MAN is it ever more readable! The grey, especially on the alternating grey lines in the log section, is simply horrible to read. I strongly urge you to go back to the black. You do understand that not all of your members have the benefit of youth and perfect eyesight, right?

Also, check to see if you are running any Greasemonkey scripts which may have supplied this "Add Cache to List" button.

Not sure what greasemonkey scripts are. therefore I assume that I am not. I sure didn't set them up.

I am using Chrome.

Found the problem. I removed an extension called geoprinter and all is well.

Edited by Khoda

:(

You will find the quick link to Pocket Queries has moved under the "Play" Header.

I hope that helps!

Um, no. He's talking about the site map control that was removed. That control really helped navigate around and that was removed. Now what used to take one click to go to different levels of an area take at least two clicks. Your "quick link to Pocket Queries" is now a two step operation. I hardly consider that "quick."

I love geocaching and have respect for the Groundspeak personnel, but I am not fond of change for the sake of change. I won't go into all the things I don't care for on the new page and the search filters and the new "hiding a cache" format. There are just too many to list and others have already mentioned them in one forum or the other.

The three things I will mention about the new look that I really dislike are:

1. I liked the "drop down" menus that appeared when you scrolled across the links at the top. Now I have to click an extra time to get to the same place.

2. Could you possible make the avatar any smaller? Seriously, you can't even see what they are any longer, especially since you took away the bigger one on the public profile.

3. What, exactly, was wrong with the nice Groundspeak green background? The page is now REALLLLLLY WHITE with ginormous borders.

Sigh....

I don't expect anything to change no matter how much people don't like them, but I would so much rather the Groundspeak techies would work on stuff that really needs fixing...like the maps on my Motorola Xoom that haven't worked in over a year.

I DO appreciate the work that goes into keeping this site running, but I would gladly pay more for my membership if I felt like GS was listening to our suggestions. Who asked for these changes? Why were they necessary? I just don't get it.

As for the colour, I just tried temporarily modifying the text colour in my browser back to black and ohh MAN is it ever more readable! The grey, especially on the alternating grey lines in the log section, is simply horrible to read. I strongly urge you to go back to the black. You do understand that not all of your members have the benefit of youth and perfect eyesight, right?

Maybe they just think that everyone thinks time is money as I read in a thread about the time before paperless caching and that we should not spend time on reading logs and longer descriptions anyway. Just write TFTC - that's easily recognizable ......

Somehow sometimes the design makes me feel that it is set up that way to look pretty (or just different) for a special group of people and not be nicely usable.

I'm sorry but this update is unnecessary and has no practical benefit for users. Its bad, it looks bad, I dont like it.

Additional it blocks wonderful and useful grease,onkey scripts as GCLH and GGtours. Why doesn't Groundspeak contact owner of these scripts prior to

release to avoid such problems? Even Smartphoneapp C-Geo is affected adversly.

Get back to former design please!!! At least until you make sure, that affected scripts are working properly.

nani50

I'm sorry but this update is unnecessary and has no practical benefit for users. Its bad, it looks bad, I dont like it.

Additional it blocks wonderful and useful grease,onkey scripts as GCLH and GGtours. Why doesn't Groundspeak contact owner of these scripts prior to

release to avoid such problems? Even Smartphoneapp C-Geo is affected adversly.

Get back to former design please!!! At least until you make sure, that affected scripts are working properly.

nani50

Geocaching HQ:

"...Oh no! My geocaching scripts aren't working anymore. When will you fix these?

These scripts are made and maintained by members of the geocaching community, not by Geocaching HQ. Occasionally, updates like this will stop them from working. Usually, the geocachers who own and maintain the scripts are quick to fix them. Thanks for being patient!..."

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=330746&view=findpost&p=5487389

:(

Yep, would be nice to have that back. "Upgrades" shouldn't add to the difficulty of navigating a site.

I am not a fan of this change.

- The green bar across the top serves no purpose; the logo and menu links should be moved up and incorporated into this bar.

- You need to re-add the quick links to access Geocaches (Yours) and Trackables (Yours).

- There is too much white space on the main menu.

- The green bar across the top when viewing the map is unnecessary and takes up valuable screen real estate.

- Overall, the old version was a whole lot better. It made better use of the available screen space and all of the pages I wanted to visit were accessible from the main page.

I am not a fan of this change.

- The green bar across the top serves no purpose; the logo and menu links should be moved up and incorporated into this bar.

- You need to re-add the quick links to access Geocaches (Yours) and Trackables (Yours).

- There is too much white space on the main menu.

- The green bar across the top when viewing the map is unnecessary and takes up valuable screen real estate.

- Overall, the old version was a whole lot better. It made better use of the available screen space and all of the pages I wanted to visit were accessible from the main page.

More and more changes just for the change...

More and more clicks needed to accomplish what REALLY Geocachers want...

More and more web real-estate wasted...

Two (three if I had another) thumbs DOWN... :lostsignal:

It seems like a waste of space to use the entire top bar for just the user icon and dropdown on the right side, then add another menu under that. I made a mock up of what I think would save space and look nicer.K77aE0j.jpg

On an iPad using Safari the menu items wouldn't fit in the green bar without overlapping the avatar etc... on the right - certainly not for non-premium members anyway as we get a big old "Upgrade" box. That's on Landscape.

Turn the browser portrait on an iPad and the pages respond to that.

You can argue all you like about people needing to use a wide screen desktop machine to view the website, but iPads and the like aren't going to go away. The menu needs to be on the white section and the buttons need to be bigger to allow touch screen devices to hit them. There may be a little too much white space perhaps on the homepage, but not as much as PC users might be thinking there is.

There may be a little too much white space perhaps on the homepage, but not as much as PC users might be thinking there is.

It's not a case of thinking there's an abundance of glaring white space when viewing the site on a widescreen monitor - it's a case of seeing it!

I was considering vertical whitespace only. I don't use a full screen browser window so gapping at the sides isn't an issue for me at all.

There may be a little too much white space perhaps on the homepage, but not as much as PC users might be thinking there is.

It's not a case of thinking there's an abundance of glaring white space when viewing the site on a widescreen monitor - it's a case of seeing it!

I was considering vertical whitespace only. I don't use a full screen browser window so gapping at the sides isn't an issue for me at all.

The vertical whitespace isn't in issue for me at all either.

Would it be better if the margins were colored? Something like this?

8794caf1-8fa2-42b4-9a19-13a71e7c5141.png

Would it be better if the margins were colored? Something like this?

8794caf1-8fa2-42b4-9a19-13a71e7c5141.png

The problem with using a background colour with a container on top is that it gives you no where to go if you do have a particularly narrow screen - you're essentially setting the container width (the inner space). That can create issues with small screen devices - I use a 900 pixel wide container on my own site iirc, essentially to get it looking even half decent on an iPhone etc...

The current site can respond a little on an iPad, for example, if the orientation changes. If you change the colours on the edge (or use a border) then you can't really do that - you're stuck with the width. That's the advantage of using the same bg colour across the full width.

It's the same decision the BBC has just taken on it's news site, for example. It does make sense from a design perspective - I'd be interested to know what proportion of users actually view sites using full screen apps on wide screen monitors. That stat must be out there somewhere...

Edited by Blue Square Thing

I don´t understand how can a cache in Bulgary be 7.3km away from my house that is in Portugal. I don´t think that this new way of search is good. And the page with bigger letter doesn´t help anybody.

(please excuse my bad english)

I don´t understand how can a cache in Bulgary be 7.3km away from my house that is in Portugal. I don´t think that this new way of search is good. And the page with bigger letter doesn´t help anybody.

(please excuse my bad english)

Is "Bulgary" the same as the country of "Bulgaria"?

If Bulgaria is entered as the search location in the main search box, then the distance shown in the results is the distance between the cache and the centerpoint of Bulgaria. The main search box sets the centerpoint of the search and the results.

If you left the main search box empty and entered Bulgaria in the "Search Only In..." box, then the results would show distance between the cache and your home coordinates. I'm not sure why it works this way, but that seems to be the case.

How come I can't seem to search ARCHIVED caches now? When I do a GC search for an archived cache, the cache is not returned. I need access to them for certain challenges caches. Thanks.
When you enter something (anything) in the main search field, that is used to mark the center of the search radius. It really doesn't matter what you enter in the main search field. Whatever it is will be used to mark the center of the search radius. Then the search returns a list of active caches within that search radius.

If you enter the GC code of an archived cache, then it uses the coordinates of that archived cache as the center of the search radius. Then the search returns a list of active caches within that search radius. That's the only way it works.

To view archived caches, you can enter coord.info/gc12345 in the address field of your browser (replacing gc12345 with the appropriate GC code, of course). Or you can go to the main welcome page at www.geocaching.com and search there.

See also A Guide to Searching on Geocaching.com, which was written by The A-Team.

Hello! Can I know why did you delete my message that I wrote it yesterday?!? You don't like criticism?!? If I would wrote "Yeeeah! Very nice release! Wow! You're the best" I bet that you would have keep my message, even there is nothing useful in it!

Anyway, here is my message from yesterday, AGAIN! Maybe this time you will keep it! I'm really angry with your attitude!!!

My old message:

What?!?! Another unwanted and useless "update"?!?! Yet again?!? :blink:

The new layout looks bad, really bad... And more than that, you messed up all old the menus! Why?!? What's the point of this?

In the last 6 months you have made a lot of (very) bad releases, one after another. Is hard to remember the last smart&useful release... You really want to change almost everything, just for the sake of change something. Why to waste resources to change good features into bad features?!? What's the point? You don't have any better things to do?!? :unsure:

Why don't you send all the players a poll via weekly e-mail and ask them what they want to change regarding the website and the game? Don't you think that would be much better? Just asking... But, as far as I have seen recently, you really don't care about your users. You change something, most of them are very upset. So what?!? Who cares about users?!? You have much more "good ideas" that you like them... A very healthy attitude!

I am profoundly dissapointed by your attitude and by the fact the release after release you ruin the website as well as the game. An no, I'm not the only one who feels like this! Just read the forum!

Hello! Can I know why did you delete my message that I wrote it yesterday?!? You don't like criticism?!? If I would wrote "Yeeeah! Very nice release! Wow! You're the best" I bet that you would have keep my message, even there is nothing useful in it!

Anyway, here is my message from yesterday, AGAIN! Maybe this time you will keep it! I'm really angry with your attitude!!!

The rest of your message looks the same as this message:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=330358&view=findpost&p=5488547

I have been caching a very LONG time, since the summer of 2002. I have seen numerous changes to our past time, the web site, GPS units, etc.... But one thing was constant, when a search is done using a GC code, THAT CACHE is returned, nothing more, nothing less. Not a list of active caches around an area. I didn't have to use the Browser address for the search. Let's say that I wanted to see what cache "GC1" was, I could just put that in the search field and get it returned to me. Last night, I had to literally scroll through every find I have to find certain caches. Now what is really weird is that I can use the Geocaching App to search by GC number, I just did a search for GC699F and it returned "Tuckerville Mine" in Colorado. Hidden 10/10/02 and archived 10/18/03 due to being in a National Forest. The reason for the importance of this cache, not just that I was third to last to find it, but that I actually went up that following summer and removed the cache from it's location, so to help the Geocaching Community. As a tip to the powers that be, you should have a "HISTORY" search available on Geocaching.com that a person could do a search for just INACTIVE caches, whether Archived, Cancelled or Never Published (but still has a GC code).

Overall, I do not like the look of the new page, too much WHITE/BLANK space. I would rather see ads for Geocaching paraphernalia then white space, because then I would know that Geocaching is making money and money is what is used to improve our hobby. I also think the website has lost functionality, meaning it is taking MORE clicks to get to where you want to go, not less. The Opening Page should have as many ways to get to wherever in the site you want to go. For instance, since I am a Premium Member, I would love to "Build Pocket Queries" with ONE CLICK from the start page.

The vertical whitespace on the sides isn't so much an issue as the whitespace used within the content which bulks up the content. Extra padding, lots of spacing, whether it's 'white' space or not. The problem is making the one site - and its visual esthetic - for every device. It's one thing to make a responsive design to fit various browser dimensions (smartphone, tablet, desktop browser full size or windowed, etc), but it's an entirely other thing to make a visual esthetic that's pleasing and comfortable to the eye on each device. For the most part, one or two variations should be enough - an info-focused design for those who want to see more at once, and the usability-focused design for those who either don't care how much they see or need better interface response (like bigger buttons, on a mobile device for example).

IMO, trying to make a single website that is all things for all contexts is what's causing this headache of a backlash :P

I could resort to CSS insertion or user scripting to adjust the site content to my own liking; or a more generic, functional design, but there are some things I just think shouldn't have to be dealt with in that manner... a number of current design concepts are simply not optimized for desktop browsers. Doesn't mean there aren't people who are happy or satisfied with it, just that there could be a design which is either better suited, or bothers fewer people :ph34r:

And from what I've seen, I think one of, if not the, biggest complaints is ... "whitespace!" :yikes:

On an iPad using Safari the menu items wouldn't fit in the green bar without overlapping the avatar etc... on the right - certainly not for non-premium members anyway as we get a big old "Upgrade" box. That's on Landscape.

One will never manage to layout a page for multiple devices without different implementations. For browsers on mobile platforms, Groundspeak should provide a special mobile version, and not force the normal PC users to deal with a bad, broken layout.

One will never manage to layout a page for multiple devices without different implementations. For browsers on mobile platforms, Groundspeak should provide a special mobile version, and not force the normal PC users to deal with a bad, broken layout.

I find mobile implementations which get forced on me on a tablet are dreadful - and something which seems increasingly rare these days. I'm not sure they'do really work for most users these days - compare the utility of the BBC mobile site on a phone with the desktop version. There are aspects of mobile implementation in place when using a phone - there are some issues with the homepage there I think, but generally the layout looks pretty similar and works well on a phone - and differently to how it works on a tablet, which is how it should be.

Which ends up with the "standard" view being the default on a tablet (and, again, it does change when you flop the tablet portrait so there is an element of responsiveness in there).

And, quite frankly, the layout isn't "broken" as far as I can tell. It works just fine. There may be some issues with vertical white space that could be tweaked - and the below the fold issue with search pages for example - but there doesn't seem to be very much else that's functionally very different as far as I can tell.

But then I guess, like most usesrs, I use the site in my own way (one which in my case is probably a bit more unusual). Maybe if I used it in a different way there might be more issues. A couple of people have tried to specify issues. Perhaps those need to be reviewed.