logging TB's as missing

The10Coin

As a cache owner if I mark a TB as missing and some procrastinator later tries to log it in, will he be able too?

Yes, it can be logged in the usual was as if it were in a cache (but then the cache is named "Missing" :anicute:). If it's been less than a month since it vanished from the cache, you could leave it be for now, especially if there's some clue that a cacher may log it. For example, if there are signatures on the cache log, yet the finds are not yet logged online, that's a clue that the logs may yet be made.

But make a cache note of exactly which TBs are still there and which aren't. Don't post the tracking number.

Edited by kunarion

If (s)he has the number, yes.

Marking as "Missing" does nothing other than to remove it from (whatever) inventory it is in at that time.

If a cacher has that item in their possession, then they have the number to log it, also.

If they rely solely on being able to log ("drop" it) with their device (phone or GPSr) directly out of their inventory... then no -- because it is not in that inventory any longer. They'd have to "Grab" it to put it back into their inventory to do such.

EDIT to add: It is pretty easy, but many probably wouldn't know it had been removed from their inventory. They drop it (physically) and move on... later to find they cannot log it. Having placed it -- they now don't have the number to perform the "Grab".

Regardless, the next cacher would be able to "Grab" it.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
EDIT to add: It is pretty easy, but many probably wouldn't know it had been removed from their inventory. They drop it (physically) and move on... later to find they cannot log it.

Yes. That could happen whether or not it is Marked Missing in the meantime. But "Marked Missing" adds a layer of confusion, so I've supposed that it's less likely to be logged once marked "Missing". But I have no data on that. :anicute:

I also wonder if a lot of the non-logged TBs were already dropped in a new cache, and as you mentioned, the Dropper didn't note the Tracking Number first.