Tree groups and tree alleys?

GeoLog81

Is there any category that would accept exceptional tree groups and tree alleys?

By exceptional tree groups I mean the groups of a few nearby trees, that are protected as nature monument, and each of them sepearately would pass to the category of Exceptional Trees, only that there are few of them on almost the same coordinates.

Tree alleys are more complicated, since they have the begin and the end, and some would require even more waypoints.

If there's no category yet, would it make sense to create a single one for them, or 2 separate? The category Tree Alleys could accomodate both alleys with very old (protected) trees, as well as alleys exceptional because of the number of trees or their size, even if they are not protected as nature monuments.

Is there any category that would accept exceptional tree groups and tree alleys?

By exceptional tree groups I mean the groups of a few nearby trees, that are protected as nature monument, and each of them sepearately would pass to the category of Exceptional Trees, only that there are few of them on almost the same coordinates.

Tree alleys are more complicated, since they have the begin and the end, and some would require even more waypoints.

If there's no category yet, would it make sense to create a single one for them, or 2 separate? The category Tree Alleys could accomodate both alleys with very old (protected) trees, as well as alleys exceptional because of the number of trees or their size, even if they are not protected as nature monuments.

Group of trees are accepted in Exceptional Trees category - we can find some examples among waymarks.

Tree Alleys is category proposal that I would most likely support (depends on quality of category description).

So what about that draft?

Exceptional tree alleys.

This category is for Waymarking tree alleys that are exceptional because of their length, number of trees, tree age or recreational values. They must also be old.

Expanded description:

This category is for Waymarking exceptional tree alleys. They should be at least 100 years old, additionally they should be exceptional in at least one of the following: length, number of trees, the age of the trees, historical or recreational values.

Instructions for posting waymark:

1) At least two pictures taken by you is required. For longer alleys, we encourage you to post more pictures, showing the alley from different points.

2) At least 1 additional coordinate marking another end of the alley is required. If the alley has turning points, the coordinates for each turning points are encouraged.

3) The age of the alley, length, the number of trees and the genus of the tree(s) is required.

4) The protection status (nature monument etc.) and the entrance fee are required, if the apply.

5) The founder of the alley and the actual owner is optional.

I'm neither a good writer nor is English my native language, so I hope someone interested in creating the group with me will fix it :) so I'd be happy to concentrate on the meritum of the posting conditions first :)

Let's wait couple of days for few more opinions, maybe there's something else to mind before starting any efforts.

The first step would be to create a group and recruit experienced members who are interested.

Can you set the group up?

Then we will need to put together some good examples of tree alleys with pictures. Different kinds of trees, from different parts of the world. This always helps.

Instructions you drafted look very good! But:

Personally, I don't like limitation to exceptional alleys only - it is too subjective to decide which alley is exceptional and which not. If you keep it like this, many people will argue this in peer review. Categories with exact definitions have better chance to go through.

OK, age is exact - 100 years .. but what about example - I know alleys with few exceptional old trees, but largely replaced by new trees as old ones are falling down. And there can be many of individual waymarks on the edge between approval and rejection, if we won't define clearly the term 'exceptional' (I don't know if it is even possible to define it well enough).

I'm not a fan of word 'exceptional', I've copied it just from the category 'exceptional trees', because I've got no better idea.

If the trees were replaced, the alley is still old. It's like with parks. This was my concept.

How will you be able to tell the difference between a tree alley and just some trees planted in a line -- an old orchard or forest now bisected by a road could fit the category if the trees were old enough. Do you want those in the category?

What about decorative or small flowering trees planted in parallel lines in formal gardens from the 19th century and earlier, not to form an alley but to show symmetry. Are those ok in the category?

What about roads intentionally lined with a specific kind of tree only for the purpose of marking the road?

I'd like to see it for 2 categories:

1) Tree alleys being nature monument - in that case you have the date and registry no when it was protected

2) Tree alleys planned as alleys - in that case you have the gardener and the year of foundation, same as with public parks

I suppose that almost all cases from 1) will be covered by 2)

And in case of roads, as far as they were planned by the gardener, it would match the category. If they were simply spontaneously planted at the road, it's not tree alley.

Maybe this could become a nice category, but I am not conviced yet, and the more complicated you make it, the less I am willing to follow.

In my home country, trees or groups of trees or tree alleys are not covered by any nature monument status or anything the like. And if they were, the protection date would not be available (at least protected cultural monuments have no date published anywhere). And I really doubt, that I could find the gardener or the foundation year for more than one out of ten or so.

Your proposed requirement may be easy, even obvious where you live. In other parts of the world, they are not.

Try to find a way to define what you want, and what you don't want, in a way that does not need any external resources and clear enough that any waymarker can easily decide by reading the category description alone, if a find would qualify or not!

Hmmm so let's say, the tree alley must be an alley, not a road (primarily for pedestrian/bicycle traffic) and it must be at least, say, 137 (or some other magic number Groundspeak love) long.

I'm afraid, if no 'designed' condition will be present, it could be too broad and practically any street could be 'tree alley'...

I don't know if length + pedestrian traffic are enough to make that category viable and not overly broad.

Wikipedia does not have an article with this exact name.

Edit: You chopped off the right parenthesis in the URL in your post. Not in the visible part, but in the url= portion in the brackets.

Or if you didn't use the url= in brackets, then the forums are chopping off the final parenthesis for some reason. Just so folks are aware that if they click on that link, they'll have to add a right parenthesis to the URL manually.

Or better yet, use this link which doesn't suffer from the missing parenthesis.

Edited by MountainWoods