Trackables missing from caches

doktorfunk

Hi,

I'm working some urban foreign caching into a business trip. I've found two caches in Amsterdam that are supposed to have 3 & 4 trackables (respectively) in them. Both caches were intact, in good condition, with log books & a few swaps, but all the trackables were missing. I noticed today that you can "write note" on a trackable's log without the secret code, so I've done that for the 4 missing from the 2nd cache --- is that a worthwhile thing to do?

Also, I'm carrying someone else's geocoin & our own new TB, both of which I'd intended to drop off here. But I'm reluctanct to leave either in a cache from which all the trackables are missing. Is that paranoid or reasonable?

Thanks,

Adam

Write Note is a good way to let the TO know there may be an issue.

Mentioning that it may be missing on your cache log helps the CO too.

Either can mark it missing if they find (or think) it is.

I think it's reasonable to believe if trackables are constantly missing from a certain cache, to steer away from placing more.

I think it's reasonable to believe if trackables are constantly missing from a certain cache, to steer away from placing more.

I'm not sure now. The two in question are the only two I've found in Amsterdam that can accommodate TBs, and both caches have had quite a bit of logged traffic in the past couple of days, and one has had a couple of TBs logged since I found it. I might go back this evening and drop mine there.

In busy areas TB's will be taken very quickly. If the box is in a tourist location they will also get dropped off regularly. Minutes later taken by another cacher. If it is a tourist location (and even if it isn't sometimes) TB's can often be placed enmass so that there is a chance that they will get taken and spread all over the world. Airport caches for example. Or caches that will get a lot of traffic. Often weeks go by before the taker is home again from holiday, and gets a chance to log them. One cache near us regularly has TB's apparently go missing from them. Retrieved by Americans or others. Then it will travel on the coach for weeks. Cornwall scotland all over the UK and on to Europe and elsewhere and will only be logged once in the states. It just happens that not all cachers use the app and can log them out right away. Amsterdam is a massive hub for visitors so unless it's been months since they were dropped off ... assume it's normal and they are fine.

In busy areas TB's will be taken very quickly. If the box is in a tourist location they will also get dropped off regularly. Minutes later taken by another cacher. If it is a tourist location (and even if it isn't sometimes) TB's can often be placed enmass so that there is a chance that they will get taken and spread all over the world. Airport caches for example. Or caches that will get a lot of traffic. Often weeks go by before the taker is home again from holiday, and gets a chance to log them. One cache near us regularly has TB's apparently go missing from them. Retrieved by Americans or others. Then it will travel on the coach for weeks. Cornwall scotland all over the UK and on to Europe and elsewhere and will only be logged once in the states. It just happens that not all cachers use the app and can log them out right away. Amsterdam is a massive hub for visitors so unless it's been months since they were dropped off ... assume it's normal and they are fine.

OK, thanks for that. It hadn't occurred to me that people might not log things for more than a week or two.