Age?

67, retired and caching since 2011.

Planning to cache until I'm 120, when I will be shot by a jealous husband

I'm 68. But don't tell your husband about me.

I don't have a husband, being the male half. I'm hoping that, when i'm 120, someone else's husband will have reason to be jealous of me. But that is probably just wishful thinking.

"Older people" grew up playing outside. Younger people grew up indoors playing on computers, video games, Wii, Gameboy, Nintendo, whatever. So old people like being outdoors. Lol

Hey, I'm 30 and grew up playing outside, unsupervised, all day long. Explored the whole town on my bike, etc. Maybe that's why I like exploring so much now! I was probably part of the last generation where this was common, though, and I'd imagine it disappeared in more urban areas earlier.

For me, it's not about the numbers, it's about walking, seeing the city, exploring new places, and having quick fun activities to do after work, on the weekends, or even on my lunch break. I certainly can't compete with retired people in quantity, but who cares? I wish more younger people saw it the way I did! I've advocated for it to many of my friends. Most of them had heard of it but were under the impression it was a hardcore activity that requires a handheld GPS. Nope-- just a smartphone!

Edited by astralsled

"Older people" grew up playing outside. Younger people grew up indoors playing on computers, video games, Wii, Gameboy, Nintendo, whatever. So old people like being outdoors. Lol

Hey, I'm 30 and grew up playing outside, unsupervised, all day long. Explored the whole town on my bike, etc. Maybe that's why I like exploring so much now! I was probably part of the last generation where this was common, though, and I'd imagine it disappeared in more urban areas earlier.

Welcome to the "older people" group.

Wait...I'll be 40 this year and I have been caching about 10 years, so I am in the "older people" group, too? :(

Wait...I'll be 40 this year and I have been caching about 10 years, so I am in the "older people" group, too? :(

Possibly. Did you also grow up playing outside, unsupervised, all day long. Explored the whole town on your bike, etc?

Possibly. Did you also grow up playing outside, unsupervised, all day long. Explored the whole town on your bike, etc?

But of course! I also stayed outside well into the night, until mom yelled out the door for me. I ran around barefoot and got dirty, too!

Age: 67-and-a-half years old. In a few months, I will have been geocaching eleven years. Geocaching has been a natural extension of my interest in hiking, visiting pretty and interesting areas.

But that's not what geocaching is about anymore. LPCs. Power trails. Numbers. Social media. (That new Message Center is terrible and annoying. Make it go away!) Cell phone players who never sign into Geocaching.com. Numbers mean everything! Quality is lost. Quality does not mean anything anymore. Numbers mean everything!

Time changes. Life changes. Geocaching changes (but not for the better.)

My geocaching partner of eleven years is dying. (Hey. We've found seven or eight caches this years!) A large number of my caches will be archived when he goes to visit his namesake. Will I enjoy park and grabs in malls anymore? Nope! But that seems to be most of Geocaching these days. Enough good caches in interesting places to keep me interested in Geocaching? I have my doubts. Especially with the ban on caches along the AT, and the new regulations in NJ State Parks and Forests.

Nope. Don't think so. Most of my hiking caches are found very seldom. And there are not a lot of hiking caches available anymore.

Major life change coming up. I don't know how it is going to affect me. But I don't see how modern geocaching is going to offer me much surcease.

Maybe I need a new hobby?

We are now 90 and just got our 10K find. Started in August 2001 and basically geocaching like we always have. Wife has severe memory loss and I lost 3 tendons in my right shoulder. Have adapted well and am her caretaker. just recently my left shoulder is also going the way the right rotocuff did. Most of our geocaching is going to where we can do some nice quite rural geocaching and enjoy the country side. Right now I have difficulty closing and opening the drivers door and buckling my seat belt. Going to give geocaching a rest until I get the left shoulder functioning. A cortizone shot helped but now it is worse. Wife doesn't drive but we get along. Life has been good and geocaching has been a big part of it. Dick & Arlene Bremerton, WA

Team GroveBird's ages are 35 (Grove), 34 (Bird), 5 (Lizzy), and 3(Lilly). Lilly found her first Geocache this weekend. I just got 3 of my friends into playing, they are 2o, 21, and 37. And yes, now that smart phones can be used to find caches many more younger people will be playing....fortunately or unfortunately. Most of the people around my area are 40-50+, though.

And I played outside all day when I was younger. My kids play outside all day now. We see kids on bikes, and out playing in our neighborhood all the time.

Age: 67-and-a-half years old. In a few months, I will have been geocaching eleven years. Geocaching has been a natural extension of my interest in hiking, visiting pretty and interesting areas.

But that's not what geocaching is about anymore. LPCs. Power trails. Numbers. Social media. (That new Message Center is terrible and annoying. Make it go away!) Cell phone players who never sign into Geocaching.com. Numbers mean everything! Quality is lost. Quality does not mean anything anymore. Numbers mean everything!

Time changes. Life changes. Geocaching changes (but not for the better.)

My geocaching partner of eleven years is dying. (Hey. We've found seven or eight caches this years!) A large number of my caches will be archived when he goes to visit his namesake. Will I enjoy park and grabs in malls anymore? Nope! But that seems to be most of Geocaching these days. Enough good caches in interesting places to keep me interested in Geocaching? I have my doubts. Especially with the ban on caches along the AT, and the new regulations in NJ State Parks and Forests.

Nope. Don't think so. Most of my hiking caches are found very seldom. And there are not a lot of hiking caches available anymore.

Major life change coming up. I don't know how it is going to affect me. But I don't see how modern geocaching is going to offer me much surcease.

Maybe I need a new hobby?

have to agree, in fact I canceled my automatic renewal

I'm 14 and have been geocaching for almost a year. The one event I went to (a CITO) it was mostly people 45+, I was the only teenager. I agree with everyone else that it is mainly a sport for older people, but I'm not letting that stop me and no one should! The people at the event were all very nice and welcoming, and so are the people who find my caches.

I am 16. I started when I was 13 when I got a GPS as an early 14th birthday present. I do tend to drag my family around with me since I can't drive yet and I live out in the country where there is little public transport.

I know another cacher around here (the only other cacher for a good 8 miles) who is 17/18 but apart from that, the rest of the cachers are generally in there 40s, 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure one or two are nearing their 70s.

Haha I'm 14 and also drag my family with me to drive to caches! It's not always easy convincing them to go!

57. At events, I'm in the 'older' category. Lots of families with teen and pre-teen (11-15) in my area. Being near two college towns (8 miles apart) will probably skew the average age a little lower.

I do agree with others that basing the average age of geocachers based on events will be misleading. At one biking event with 15 or so, I was middle of the pack. At a pizza/birthday party/get well event, I was the third oldest, out of 30 or so.

In addition to myself, one of my sons (Bowling4Cache @ 30) geocaches with his family. My daughter (StormKing @ 27) is an occasional geocacher. And, I have several grand-kids that geocache with grampa, and/or their families.

Skye.

I'm 41, and I just started Geocaching. However, this seems like something I would have enjoyed when I was younger, but it didn't exist! (And then I didn't really know about it for a while.)

From what I can tell from pictures, there's a good range of people geocaching in my area... but maybe slightly skewed away from my age in both directions, toward younger families with kids, and older folks. Older than me, anyway. :)

I think it's pretty great that this activity can be enjoyed by so many different people. It seems like each person is into it for a different set of reasons.

I guess I qualify as an old fart, being a shade over 60..... :D

as for tech I use a garmin glo bluetoothed to my android note4

it's fun :) accuracy on sunny days is amazing.

not retired, but I want to be!!!!

got my retirement lotto ticket LOL

6:30 A.M. off to work!!!! :D

I am 16. I started when I was 13 when I got a GPS as an early 14th birthday present. I do tend to drag my family around with me since I can't drive yet and I live out in the country where there is little public transport.

I know another cacher around here (the only other cacher for a good 8 miles) who is 17/18 but apart from that, the rest of the cachers are generally in there 40s, 50s and 60s and I'm pretty sure one or two are nearing their 70s.

Haha I'm 14 and also drag my family with me to drive to caches! It's not always easy convincing them to go!

Lol I'm 15 and do the same thing, I drag them out every weekend and borrow my dad's iPhone whenever possible and go by myself...

When I was about 37 or 38 (I'm 43 now), I first heard about geocaching from my younger brother and did some basic finds, and played around with a virtual cache app that no longer exists.

Now that I'm 43, some good friends of mine just recently got into geocaching and asked me if I'd ever done it. It re-sparked my interest, and I bought the paid iPhone app and have been having a good time, especially now that one of my friends is into it, too.