What Have I Done :/

Team Beynon (Morfy)

Noswaith dda,

I'm a new geocacher. Today (well, saturday, it's past midnight now) was our first ever day geocaching. We found two out of three. We also planted two.

I took a photo of the gps thingummy each time. But I can't submit our caches because when I enter the numbers, it thinks the caches are in the States and in Asia! We're in South Wales by the way.

Can someone help me - hopefully the pic will load too and you can see where I'm going wrong.

Nice to meet you all, by the way!

Morfy x

PS - I can't post the photo but the coordinates for one are:

51* 41' 08.86"N

3* 29' 18.03"S

51* 41' 08.86"N

3* 29' 18.03"S

What you have typed there (the coordinates) are completely wrong. You cannot be North and South at the same time.

You can be N/E, N/W, S/E or S/W, but not N and S nor E and W.

You had better check those coordinates again.

There is also another problem:

As you have it written (the numbers and markers), that is in Degree-Minutes-Seconds format.

For geocaching purposes, the format used is Degree-Decimal Minutes.

Your GPSr unit is switchable between those formats. You must change it.

EDIT to add: If you meant N51° 41' 08.86" W003° 29' 18.03"

That would place you just north of Maerdy alongside route A4233

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

FWIW, the Hide a Geocache form can accept degree-minutes-seconds coordinates, for example:

N 51° 41' 08.86" W 003° 29' 18.03"

But yes, in general, using geocaching.com will be easier if you switch your device(s) to use decimal minutes (aka degree-minutes) coordinates, for example:

N 51° 41.148 W 003° 29.301

Note that the degree-minutes-seconds coordinates above and the decimal minutes coordinates above both refer to the same point. Note too that there seems to be another cache within 528ft/161m of that location, which is a violation of the saturation guidelines.

If you're going to hide new caches, then it's a good idea to read the guidelines a couple of times.

Yes, the problem stems from the fact that you are trying to enter BOTH coordinate halves in the same dimension. It simply will not work.

Is that the same as messing with the space-time continuum?

:o

B.

You just may be on to something there..... the folding of space in a single plane. B)

As long as all of a sudden everyone wears a beard it's fine.. I think.

Thanks guys, sorry it's taken me so long to come back. You've literally put a smile on my face, which after the evening I've had is a high achievement.

Maerdy is right. Over by Maerdy mountain it was. I'll link the device, it's a £20 piece of poop (I would love a proper device but it needs to wait til I have the next instalment of student loan - if anyone would care to take me through the different devices or link me to where I can compaqre them, I'd appreciate it).

This is what I have. It was originally bought to try help me locate myself when I am performing research for People's Collection Wales (a pet project of mine related to my university degree).

I'll be the first to say it - kindly. Welcome to the game. I suggest that you find a few more caches before placing your own. Being a cache owner is great fun and also a great responsibility. You will be a better cache owner if you have more experience in finding caches first, reading this forums, reading the guidelines, and becoming more familiar with the game.

Keep your sense of humour and your enthusiasm, and keep on caching.

Look, I know you're all excited about this cool new game and all, but taking a picture of the cache site and using the geotagged coordinates from your "thingummy" is really not an adequate method of obtaining coordinates. Expect some complaints that your coordinates are way off.

Please read and re-read and then re-re-read the guidelines for hiding a cache, and consider spending a little more time finding caches before you hide any more. Hiding caches well takes some experience...knowing how to obtain accurate coordinates, knowing what sorts of containers are good and which ones are awful for hiding caches, and learning a little more about the various types of hides that are out there and how they are hidden. Once you have gained some experience with what a cache is and what it is not, then you'll be in a better position to make quality hides that people will enjoy rather than hides that are just like the only two you've ever found.

I imaging I'll get flamed pretty good for "picking on the new guy", but I wanted to impart some advice and some things you should know before you get too deep into this.

Look, I know you're all excited about this cool new game and all, but taking a picture of the cache site and using the geotagged coordinates from your "thingummy" is really not an adequate method of obtaining coordinates. Expect some complaints that your coordinates are way off.

It CAN work. I've done that on a couple hides, and my logs say the coords have been spot on. :)

I gotta say, that "thingummy" looks pretty good. Would I use it for placing caches? Not a chance, but I do like it.

When you do obtain a GPSr device, my suggestion is to go with a reputable line. On your side of the pond, that normally would be either a Garmin or a Magellan unit. There are others made solely for European distribution, but I am not familiar with them.

For goodness sake, stay away from devices that are made by a company doing so as an "offshoot". It looks like the folks that produced your "thingummy" make a LOT of differing things... which should cause you to shy away from it.

Over here, we have a company that makes great optics and riflescopes, but they also make (or have one made for them by who-knows-who) a GPSr line. I wouldn't recommend ANY of those devices to anyone. They make fine products, but those GPSr units are not one of their better items offered. Simply I think, because they produce it is an "outdoorsy" item and fits within their product line of outdoor-oriented products.

Most any current model smart phone using either Android or iOS platforms will accept a geocaching app. They have came a long ways in just a few years and are acceptable alternatives.

Feel free to use your "thingummy" for FINDING geocaches. That would be fine, and it would allow you experience in how people hide, disguise and camouflage their hides. But do wait to HIDE geocaches until after you can afford or otherwise obtain a decent GPSr device.

Welcome to geocaching! You did much better than I did. Out of my first 10 tries I think I found 3. I had no idea how devious some people can be when hiding caches. You have to be just as devious, and that takes time. Reading the forums to learn how people hide things helped me a lot. You were probably right next to that third cache and you never knew it.

As for your GPS, you might find it has occasional trouble losing the signal under thick tree cover in the summer, when there are lots of leaves out. I always had trouble with my low-end GPS in those conditions, and even with my high-end GPS in the jungle.

Edited by chuckr30

I've certainly been led on by having been able to find the two on saturday and then the two on sunday. I also failed to find one today but someone else also logged not finding it not long before me, so I dunno. But I got caught. My excuse to the poor old man who thought I'd l;ost something? "Err yes, this golfball here" *picks up a long lost golfball of someones*

I have an iPhone which I bought new at christmas but the battery is crap so It dies or is close to dying by the time I've found a cache or given up. I like the app. what I like about it is being able to look the caches up on a whim. I'm concerned that when I buy a decent device that I'll lose out because surely there isn't the capacity to download apps to one?

I'm not going to leave more now. Not for some while. So far I've gone hunting three days in a row, I'm getting an idea about the difference in hiding that people do. I certainly prefer the magnetic nanos etc, you know it has to be attached to something metal! The memorial one I found was good because it was in the place I first thought of but dismissed!

Can anyone help with another query - I can't locate a member called Malbowsier - no log on the site but on the app they have left various caches, theirs was the first one we failed to find and I'd really like to know if this person is from over by us. I'd like some caching friends.

Can anyone help with another query - I can't locate a member called Malbowsier - no log on the site but on the app they have left various caches, theirs was the first one we failed to find and I'd really like to know if this person is from over by us. I'd like some caching friends.

Go to the cache page of that cache. You'll see a link with their name just under the cache name. This will take you to their profile where you will be able to send them an email.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I certainly prefer the magnetic nanos etc, you know it has to be attached to something metal!

True... but only to a point -- that's part of trapping yourself into a misconception.

Just because a nano or other cache is noted as being "magnetic" does not mean that it is magnetically attached to something.

It may well be a magnetic cache, but concealed by other means.

Some have gone so far as to supply a hint of "magnetic", but in reality, it is nowhere around any metal.

Beware of your preconceived misconceptions.

I certainly prefer the magnetic nanos etc, you know it has to be attached to something metal!

True... but only to a point -- that's part of trapping yourself into a misconception.

Just because a nano or other cache is noted as being "magnetic" does not mean that it is magnetically attached to something.

It may well be a magnetic cache, but concealed by other means.

Some have gone so far as to supply a hint of "magnetic", but in reality, it is nowhere around any metal.

Beware of your preconceived misconceptions.

Excellent advice here. I've found a good number of "magnetic" key holder caches that weren't attached to anything at all.

An aside to Morf Orwyn: I see you're in the Cardiff area. I spent a wonderful three days exploring and geocaching in that beautiful city about five years ago. Croeso i geocaching!

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

I've found caches identified as a "magnetic keyholder" that were not attached to anything magnetic. The description was accurate, but misleading.

I've also found caches with a "magnetic" hint, where the hint didn't refer to a magnetic attachment, but to the fact that the cache could be found using a magnet. For example, a metal container in a patch of ivy could be identified by using a magnet on a string, watching for the magnet to be attracted to the metal container.

It did occur to me that people might use metal detectors - do they?
Some do. Most don't. A more low-tech way to find metal containers among heavy foliage is to attach a magnet to a string. Use the string to draw the magnet through the foliage, and when you hear/feel the magnet stick to the container, you've found it.

I've also found a cache that encouraged seekers to use a magnetic compass. It turned a needle-in-a-haystack hide into something fun and different, because the compass showed you which of the hundreds of rocks to check.

Rare-earth magnets (Neodymium) are super-strong. Google search will turn up some washer-style ones.

They may well be strong enough that little fingers cannot remove them from a 'fridge. You can get them off though, by sliding them instead of trying to pick them off. Otherwise, you might need to slide a (sharp) knife blade beneath them.

Garmin due in the morning. Just missed the cut off last night to have it delivered today.

Hi Morf

You are probably on the case already, but when my garmin arrived the very day we were going away on holiday I got into a right pickle trying to load maps and caches and ended up having to leave it at home. I was not happy!

Obviously you could have bought one already loaded with maps etc - in which case, great! If not, spend the time this morning downloading a free map (just google free maps for garmin), and when you've downloaded it, Google 'how to upload maps to garmin xxx' with xxx being your model name/number. Then you need to get the caches onto the garmin too. Check out pocket queries and create and run one for wherever you are going on your holidays. Then I usually have to search the forum/help centre how to save the downloaded pq to the garmin because I can't remember :huh:

Some time invested pre-arrival of the Garmin would have benefited me, and I didn't want you to have to leave it at home like I did :rolleyes: apologies if you know this already, and good luck with your hunting!

I could really do with speaking to you on the phone asap - it's yet to arrive and I'm slow at piecing together instructions (please don't confuse this with meaning sub-intelligent, its the opposite, but I have issues processing!)

I'm taking the laptop with us. And I have now got a 'tortoise' got my iPhone because I love the geocaching app - I just have a very, very bad battery life to contend with. So whatever happens, we'll manage - but I would prefer to have the means to set up the Garmin.

Am I right to interpret what you say as meaning I can download these necessities to the laptop READY for when it arrives? Also, I have started saving people's caches to folders in my app, if I look up the ones for the part of West Wales we are going to, and save them, they're then saved to offline apparently so does that mean I can access them to load onto the eTrex if I don't have internet - or if I use my iPhone as a router, will I also be able to load them to my eTrex?

I'm going to see if you have an email address, hang on.....