New Search Screen

The 30 mile max. is useless for me when I want to search a 50 mile area. I used to display an entire state, then I could filter by favorite points for the entire state. That is gone.

A similar issue was noted in in Post #29. That same solution should work for you as well, as a PM. Statewide search, sorted by Favorites.

Thank you. That does work. I just prefer to see every cache in a state, not just 1,000.

Oh, OK, I get it now....I was just typing in "Louisiana" in the box. This time when I started typing "Louisiana" I clicked on "United States: Louisiana" that appeared in the drop down menu and THAT worked.

Where did you see a "drop down menu"? I've been kind of avoiding the whole "new search" thing, but El Predicto predicts I'll need to start learning how to use it. Is someone still compiling info on how to do common functions that were once in the old search box? Maybe make the info a Sticky.

The drop-down menu appears once you start typing a location in the "Search Only In..." box. This image might help:

GS_dropdown_menu.png

Is someone still compiling info on how to do common functions that were once in the old search box? Maybe make the info a Sticky.

"The A-Team" assembled information from various forum posts and webpages to create a detailed guide to using the 'new' search. There's a link to that guide in this post.

Thanks! I found it! Here's the A-Team's Guide: https://sites.google.com/site/theateamcaching/searching

I'd prefer a quick video (or sequence of screen shots) for a few usual types of searches, "How to [find this commonly performed query]". A couple of pictorial examples may be enough to let me loose on the New Search Thing. But the text will do for now.

One thing that I thought was weird was having to select "Add Filters" to go to the filter page, and only then may we type "Louisiana" for that "drop-down box". It's not available on the search engine's start page. After figuring out how it actually works, I still think it's weird. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion

hi the new layout might look fancy but it is hardly any use to me now, its still no better at finding a name of a cache,you can find it only if you have the GC code number, and as for the searching using co-ordinates i used to love that, do the folk who make these things happen actually cache ? jeff=bones1.

hi the new layout might look fancy but it is hardly any use to me now, its still no better at finding a name of a cache,you can find it only if you have the GC code number, and as for the searching using co-ordinates i used to love that, do the folk who make these things happen actually cache ? jeff=bones1.
I just found several caches all over California using phrases and keywords from their names, so it does work.

Are you leaving the initial search field blank, and clicking on the Change Filters button below it?

An interesting lack in the new search is that you can not search by GC code. With the new PI Day souvenirs giving a GC number that can't be looked up on the site... :blink:

There are a couple ways to search by GC code, although neither is particularly intuitive.

(1) On the GC.com homepage, you can enter the GC code in the search box.

PiDayGC1.png

(2) On the Search homepage, you can enter the GC code in the main search box.

PiDayGC2.png

Hope that helps.

I never hit the homepage when I'm searching for caches, I use the search page. I've focused so much on jumping to the filter page that I missed the "GC code" on the first page. Thanks, that did help.

By chance I noted another step back for basic members.

In the list of search results for PM-only caches now also the D/T rating, the size and when the cache has been found most recently are not displayed any longer for basic members.

Right now there are workarounds via the old search, but when the old tool goes away (including the nearest search), then this really will become an issue.

It might even happen that someone decides to become a PM and looks forward to a large number of additional caches just to realize finally that most of the caches are T=5* or D=5* or otherwise inappropriate (e.g. all micros for somone who wants to find regulars).

Somehow it really gets difficult not to feel annoyed as basic member about the way the new search tool has been introduced and how the topic is handled.

Why should the rating of a PM-only cache or the information when such a cache got logged recently be a premium information?

I don't feel I'm stupid ... but maybe not the brightest bulb in the lamp either.

After reading pages and pages of this 'new search - how to' drivel ... I'm convinced I have no intention of trying to use it !!

GS must have spent countless hours, days, weeks, months and mucho dollars developing this morphodite system of searching.

I still support - K I S S ...

Every search I am familiar with uses ONE TEXT BAR to enter the search data ... Amazon, eBay, Wiki, Bing, Google and the list is nearly infinite for infinite results. Define your search objectives and the selections become manageable.

Groundspeak - you leave the VERY FIRST BAR BLANK if you want anything besides a DNF. I get enough of those while searching for caches. Enough said !!

Continue your search insanity without me ... there are other hobbies that do NOT require an IT degree to participate ... :(

Where have all my Bookmarks gone?? ; (

Mine are still under "Lists"...Did yours all disappear?

I found "Lists" after I posted the query. Formerly it was a drop tab. I went into my upcoming Event and saw that my two Bookmarks were listed so I knew the Bookmarks were still there - somewhere. I started exploring the web site. I never used my Profile before to find the Bookmarks. Seems like every day there are more changes to Groundpeak web site. I just have to figure out how things work - or not work.

For those that prefer, you can use the old Advanced Search, but no guarantees how long this page will remain running: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=0

Thank you for that very useful piece of information! I find the new search system utterly useless! The old Advanced Search is what I need. You made my day with that advice! I hope it remains running for ever...

By chance I noted another step back for basic members.

In the list of search results for PM-only caches now also the D/T rating, the size and when the cache has been found most recently are not displayed any longer for basic members.

<snip>

Yes, I'd noticed that as well. In addition it doesn't have a smiley in the search listing if I've found a PM-only cache - which is odd.

If I were ever concerned about getting PM cache information and thinking about buying a membership because there were lots of excellently sized (oh, no, I can't get that information anymore) caches of interesting difficult/terrain (oh, no, I can't get that anymore) that I hadn't found (oh, no, can't...) locally then I suppose it might actually help me think about buying a subscription.

I can understand why they're hiding the size, found date and T/D rating. I suppose it's just to stop non paying members taking a punt on a general location armed with that information. But hiding the found it icon so that I won't know if I've found all the PM caches in an area is silly.

An interesting lack in the new search is that you can not search by GC code. With the new PI Day souvenirs giving a GC number that can't be looked up on the site... :blink:

There are a couple ways to search by GC code, although neither is particularly intuitive.

PiDayGC1.png

PiDayGC2.png

Hope that helps.

I never hit the homepage when I'm searching for caches, I use the search page. I've focused so much on jumping to the filter page that I missed the "GC code" on the first page. Thanks, that did help.

Following on: Entering a GC code doesn't take you to that cache, but a list centered on that cache. If the cache is archived you don't get it, just the list of caches nearby. So I'm back to my original question, why can't you search for caches by GC number?

PiDayGC1.png

PiDayGC2.png

Hope that helps.

Following on: Entering a GC code doesn't take you to that cache, but a list centered on that cache. If the cache is archived you don't get it, just the list of caches nearby. So I'm back to my original question, why can't you search for caches by GC number?

You can still do that if you use the coord.info page. If the form was changed such that entering a GCcode just went directly to the cache page I'd be asking, "why can't I enter a gc code to see a list of nearby caches?"

You can still do that if you use the coord.info page. If the form was changed such that entering a GCcode just went directly to the cache page I'd be asking, "why can't I enter a gc code to see a list of nearby caches?"

What definitely plays a role that for many years a search tool existed which allowed to search for the GCcode and just returned that very cache.

Changing a search tool that things that could be done before cannot be done any longer is not the best idea and even less when it is done as in the case of the new search form.

There shouldn't be 5 places to look for information regarding cache search, but just one. Searching with respect to found by/hidden by/GC number etc have been very popular searches.

If something new is added, there is no reason to remove the old and frustrate people who have often used these search commands.

It's now much faster to reply on a third party service than going through the detours gc.com is sending the cachers along. There everything relevant is on one page, and not many different ones.

PiDayGC1.png

PiDayGC2.png

Hope that helps.

OK, I'll modify my question to "Why can't you search for caches by GC number on the search page?"

It's really strange, if I go via my (PC) Google 'speed' search (frequently used sites) it comes up straight away on the old search site. If I do a typed search for Geocaching it comes up with the new search site! Maybe I hit a button somewhere and asked for the old site off the 'speed' search?

I also did a search for the same location and filters while I had a chance to compare the speed of the two. In my case I searched for traditionals only and ones I hadn't found, on the map display. The old search site took 22 seconds, the new search site took 30 seconds, and I got all traditional caches in the world on the old site, not a radius of 50km, and a restriction of 1000 caches. Guess which one I like best?

PiDayGC1.png

PiDayGC2.png

Hope that helps.

OK, I'll modify my question to "Why can't you search for caches by GC number on the search page?"

I can't explain that, sorry.

But if you want to find a cache by GC number, including archived caches, use the search box here: https://www.geocaching.com/my/recentlyviewedcaches.aspx