Do you keep a binder

cinegal

The first year or two, I used to keep notes on my Palm PDA (using the Memo feature of the device). But I haven't kept any notes since then, other than my online logs and my Personal Cache Notes (which are usually related to solutions of puzzles or multi-stage caches).

Back in the beginning things were much more simple on the site and in the field...no smart phones and cellular data networks, maps were basic, and I used paper for everything. I had a three ring binder where I kept a log of all finds (I made custom log forms in excel). I did this for my first 300 finds. The binder also kept certain cache page printouts, game pieces from unique multi-caches, etc. I still have it and use it for lists of needed caches and certain caches that are on my dream list. I will also put in Puzzles that I am currently working on so I can try solving when I am relaxing somewhere (many puzzles out there do not need you to sit behind a computer all day, contrary to what some would have you believe).

I try to write logs that will help kickstart my memory of the cache.

^ This.

And I use a GSAK macro called PrintDiary (with formatting enhancements to my own copy) to put all my logs - the story of my life this past decade - into a single long HTML file which I enjoy browsing from time to time.

Wow... cool idea! I'll have to give that macro a try!

I dont anymore. I use notes on my phone, of areas I want to do, but, with the Groundspeak app, I can log everything on my phone, and be done with it.

I do keep field notes, but its usually climate, terrain, and only the cache names. I log mainly anything of interest I see, and how long I'm out, but, other than that, I dont reall log anything cache specific outside of the find or DNF logs.

The first year or two, I used to keep notes on my Palm PDA (using the Memo feature of the device). But I haven't kept any notes since then, other than my online logs and my Personal Cache Notes (which are usually related to solutions of puzzles or multi-stage caches).

i write stuff on my palm all the time, but it usually wears off by the time i get from that stage of the multicache to the next.

i write stuff on my palm all the time, but it usually wears off by the time i get from that stage of the multicache to the next.
Yeah, I still do that sometimes too...

This forum needs a Like button.

I tender to write longer logs which chronically my geocaching adventures, in lieu of some kind of scrapbook. I also take lots of photos, which I post on Facebook and keep digitally.

I do have a geo-binder for things like information on geo-trails, printed cache pages for field puzzles (when needed), and notebook paper to list caches found that day with brief notes to aid in logging later when I'm at home.

I documented logs and photos of my first 100 found caches and have them stored in my PC. I often add FTF's and other significant info to this electronic "scrapbook". I smile when I think about how really keen I was in the beginning and referring to this file always leaves me grinning. Older, tired legs have slowed me down somewhat but I still really enjoy getting out for a cache.

For some years now we keep a journal listing co-ords of good restaurants, fishing spots,quaint or historic locations, etc........wish I would have done it when we started caching.

+1

We both hunt and fish, and kept coord info on good fishing/hunting locations, some nice boulder/cliff return spots too, since we started.

I mostly rely on the GC website to keep notes of how puzzles were solved and what the corrected coordinates are. But just in case something happens to the website's database, I do have a written list of all final coordinates for Mystery caches that I've solved. I write down the GC number, cache name, and corrected coordinates.

I often print out multi's, as I find it easier to fill in numbers (ie, A=?) on paper while in the field. When I go to log those multi's, then I'll save that same info in the Personal Cache Note and recycle the paper.

The only other papers that I have are mostly maps, particularly trail maps. We also take several photos, in addition to the ones that I attach to the logs.

I have a geocaching binder. I generally make a print-out of a series of caches that I'm planning to do, or keep details of multi, virtual, or earth caches. I find it a lot easier to take the paper route than to keep pulling it up on my etrex. I also use it to jot down notes beside the cache listing - did I do any maintenance? Was there something that really stood out to me about that cache? Do I want to make sure I give it a favorite point? Is it a cache that fulfills a specific logging goal (cemetery cache, for example) that I need to make sure gets added to a certain bookmark list? I use these notes when I go to log the cache later. I don't save them beyond that. I keep a scrapbook, but it's for my whole life, not just geocaching. Still, I do have pages of geocaching adventures there, too. I try to write detailed logs since COs seem to appreciate more than just a "TFTC" so that sort of serves as my geocaching journal!

I've got a few binders of geocaching related stuff. Most of the stuff in the binders are puzzle caches, either ones I've solved or one's I want to work on. A lot of puzzle caches can be worked on by pen and paper (sometimes it is even easier to do them this way) and then I have a nice record of my solution (or failed attempts). I also keep permits/permissions and other stuff from my hides, especially the origami related ones. I used to print out earthcache/virtuals listings before I had paperless capability and those are still in the binder as well. Guess it is time for some spring cleaning.

I used to carry a binder with a printout of each cache, but that went by the wayside after the first few months. Then I got a spiral bound "fatbook" from Staples. I wrote each date at the top of a page each trip out and then listed each cache we went to by GC code and any notes about it, whether it needed maintenance, great area, something special about the cache itself, answers to mystery or multi's, etc. I had about 3 years history in it and was down to the last couple of pages when we went on a cruise last summer. I think the notebook got left in a store in Skagway Alaska. I didn't notice it was missing until we got home and I couldn't find it. I was bummed as I wanted to keep the book just for our own amusement. The pages were sometimes muddy and stained, but what a history the book had! I did start a new book when we got home, but I still miss being able to look back through the old one.

I can't imagine a scenario where I might want to keep any sort of caching binder. To me that's edging into "taking it a bit too far" territory. I'm content with the logs I write and the photos I take (not all of which are posted, obviously). Of course...I'm not big on note-taking anyway...never have been, even in school.

I keep a personal journal of my finds. Easy ones like lightpoles just get a few words but other caches get more words! I usually like to note any "adventure" I had getting to the cache and where the cache was found. There have been times when I've gone back through the journals (one notebook for every 1,000 finds) and enjoy remembering the hunt!

I keep multiple field notebooks for various purposes, one of them geocaching. I also keep a decent amount of digital files on my laptop, mostly puzzles or challenges I'm working on or have solved. I have separate docs for different cities or areas with solved puzzles. I have a D/T to do file, spreadsheets of my finds, spreadsheet where I'm working on the Colorado GeoArt series. I also keep several different bookmarked lists of certain caches I've found (cemetery, FTF, favorites, etc).

And, like a lot of others have said, I will look through my logs from time to time.