Cache by sea?

snowlobster

New member here with first question. I am interested in caches on Maine coast islands. How do I identify if any exist? Thanks!

I find the most interesting way to see what's in an area is to use the "Play --> View Geocache Map" option and just pan/zoom to different areas. This link will open the map around the coast of Maine, and it looks like there are several caches off the coast. Not sure if those are the islands you were interested in, but you move around the screen and zoom in/out to see what's around that area.

Hope that helps.

That link just shows a blank map for me.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hhmmm. Not sure why it wouldn't work for you. I was thinking browser or logged in status, but the link works okay for me in Chrome, IE, and Firefox. I was also able to get the map when using the link while logged out. I'm not sure. :(

It's interesting that the page would ask for someone's location. The URL includes coordinates and zoom level, so I thought it would just center around the coords that are in the URL. Odd that it would still ask for someone's location.

Anyway, what I did was open the main map "Play --> View Geocache Map" and then typed Maine in the left rollout tray. That centered the map on Maine and then I just panned and zoomed over to the coast. I tend to use the main map when looking for caches and when I'm just curious about what's out there in different parts of the country/world.

I'm currently looking into getting equipped to find some paddle caches, which isn't quite as extensive as boating...but it does sound like fun heading out to islands (no matter how large or small). Enjoy.

I'm currently looking into getting equipped to find some paddle caches, which isn't quite as extensive as boating...but it does sound like fun heading out to islands (no matter how large or small). Enjoy.

Not to discourage you from getting a kayak but a lot of those bigger islands off the coast of Maine have ferries which run out to them. Several years ago I solved a D4 puzzle cache on one of them because I had a vacation planned nearby and thought I might take the ferry over to an island for the day. There's some really nice geocaching along the coast of Maine even if you don't go out to an island.

Not to discourage you from getting a kayak but a lot of those bigger islands off the coast of Maine have ferries which run out to them. Several years ago I solved a D4 puzzle cache on one of them because I had a vacation planned nearby and thought I might take the ferry over to an island for the day. There's some really nice geocaching along the coast of Maine even if you don't go out to an island.

No worries. I meant that I'm hoping to do some paddling in my home area (Washington state). I won't be paddling off the coast of Maine, but it does sound like fun to combine geocaching with boating. :D